Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Grundulum posted:

I am very disappointed that Ryan is taking over speakership, rather than this insanity continuing. I was going to suggest USPOL November: The Boehner Maintainer as a title, but now that won't be needed.

Maybe the HFC will force Ryan to vacate the chair somehow and we can do all this over again.

Don't worry, the insanity will continue because Ryan will be even more aggressive than Boehner in using the debt ceiling/budget to hold the government hostage. He's also a firm believer that a default wouldn't be that bad.

Ganon posted:

Would there be any gridlock if Jeb won? Get rid of the filibuster on day 1 and it's 4 years of doing whatever. Don't even have to worry about losing any senate seats in 2018 with that map.

It would only be 2 years because that action, laws that would get passed, supreme court replacements, and etc would create a Democratic wave that would take back the house and senate in 2018.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Mitt Romney posted:

Don't worry, the insanity will continue because Ryan will be even more aggressive than Boehner in using the debt ceiling/budget to hold the government hostage. He's also a firm believer that a default wouldn't be that bad.

Are you kidding me? gently caress.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Eh sort of. He said that we could default for a few days and it not be that big a deal.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/paul-ryan-the-wall-street-i-know-is-totally-ok-with-debt-default-for-a-few-days-video

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Rhesus Pieces posted:

I don't think Jeb!'s heart is in it, guys.

From an appearance in SC today:

Hate to tell ya Jeb, but that's what being president is all about now. Maybe you should cut bait and do something cool then.

I'm erect

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Artificer posted:

Are you kidding me? gently caress.

Ryan is from the generation that doesn't know anything but Reagan lies. He'll be the first true believer to serve as Speaker.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

fool_of_sound posted:

Jeb Bush is going to murder/suicide the Donald.

If Jeb can't handle Trump needling him then he honestly shouldn't be president and should just drop out now.

I mean, contrast Jeb's petulant whining about how mean Trump is with Obama masterfully barbecuing him at the 2011 WH correspondent's dinner. After burying the birth certificate issue. While having Bin Laden killed.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

fool_of_sound posted:

Jeb Bush is going to murder/suicide the Donald.

Pretty sure the reverse is why Big D ran in the first place, so it's only fair.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Hate to tell ya Jeb, but that's what being president is all about now. Maybe you should cut bait and do something cool then.

Dude is melting down and it's glorious. gently caress the Bushes, I hope he murder-suicides his brother.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
We haven't even gotten to family fun time with Jeb, either, which was going to be the entertaining part.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Rhesus Pieces posted:

This owns, God bless the Donald

Is there any chance he's right?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

DOOP posted:

No, Jesus.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Jesus Christ no Wall St. would not be ok at all with defaulting 'just for a few days'

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
That's a older article that I dug up . He may have said something more recent about it but I don't think he has said anything more recent.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

DOOP posted:

He is certainly better informed than random internet posters but he also has an agenda to push, so you can't really trust anything he says :shobon:.

Opals25
Jun 21, 2006

TOURISTS SPOTTED, TWELVE O'CLOCK

Rhesus Pieces posted:

I like to imagine that after Jeb! announces he's dropping out of the race Trump will hold a press conference to walk out on the stage, drop the mic. and walk off.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

DOOP posted:

He probably is. There's enough money at stake in the assumption that the US will never default that there'd be a collective agreement to just ignore it if it ever happened.

Like when the credit rating was downgraded and everyone just rolled their eyes.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Also since the Treasurer just pays things as they come in I think it's possible the first payments they default on my not be huge "Destroy the World" payments or whatever.

After a week though or longer , yeah there'd be some fall out.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

"We can just be late on some payments and it will totally be cool" --- the party of fiscal responsibility.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Maybe they think we can get a Payday cash loan.

Ganon
May 24, 2003
It's not too late to get your order in

http://www.costco.com/31%2c500-Total-Servings-4-Person-1-Year-Food-Storage.product.11763436.html

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

DOOP posted:

No, a default of any kind will jump T-bill rates significantly, skyrocketing short term borrowing costs and will probably also coincide with a downgrade, extending those rates to a longer term. In the long term there will be significant incentive to reduce the influence of US currency and monetary policy which will weaken a dominant US hegemon.

Some of that may not be horrible in the long term, but it forces the US out of a position where it is in the driver seat so to speak

hakkart
Jul 22, 2011

by exmarx

Boon posted:

No, a default of any kind will jump T-bill rates significantly, skyrocketing short term borrowing costs and will probably also coincide with a downgrade, extending those rates to a longer term. In the long term there will be significant incentive to reduce the influence of US currency and monetary policy which will weaken a dominant US hegemon.

Some of that may not be horrible in the long term, but it forces the US out of a position where it is in the driver seat so to speak

In other words "maybe, provided that you aren't american".

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Joementum posted:

He probably is. There's enough money at stake in the assumption that the US will never default that there'd be a collective agreement to just ignore it if it ever happened.

Like when the credit rating was downgraded and everyone just rolled their eyes.

The problem with this is by not responding it will make it even more likely that they'll default again. Also they're not a hivemind and should this actually occur every single trader will have their finger hovering over a hair-trigger in case anyone else panics. That's a really really bad place to be.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Boon posted:

Yup. Even a short default lasting less than than a few days would directly cost hundreds of billions of dollars in the long term. Direct damage from being in default more than a few days would be catastrophic.

When you take into account the external effects from a default, like Boon says, it gets a bit out of control and things get unpredictable. Especially if it lasts more than a few days.

However, the stock market isn't predicting a default or anything damaging happening so I'd take some comfort in that.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Boon posted:

It's incredible that US politicians can even engage in brinkmanship on debt payments without any real repercussion. Most nations would be invaded by angry bond holders if their government even hinted at purposefully defaulting, much less the effect on bond yields. The US has an amazing advantage with respect to the world in terms of cost of debt, it really shouldn't be wasted.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
People here are already putting up Hillary for Prison 2016 lawn signs. :cripes:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

TheRamblingSoul posted:

People here are already putting up Hillary for Prison 2016 lawn signs. :cripes:

Cleared of all suspicion by the IRS and Committee To Find Hillary Guilty #8 couldn't find anything in 11 hours

Oh yeah, she's guilty

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Can you imagine what a queen of prison Hillary would be? Holding court in the yard.

Prostitutes and bank robbers all coming out with college degrees and poo poo.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
NPR is doing a story about vilerat's Eve Online stuff right now. Its so nerdy.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Absurd Alhazred posted:

"We can just be late on some payments and it will totally be cool" --- the party of fiscal responsibility.

"Well, it's due on the 1st, but they don't start assessing penalties until the 15th, so it's really due the 15th, if you think about it, right?"

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Epic High Five posted:

Cleared of all suspicion by the IRS and Committee To Find Hillary Guilty #8 couldn't find anything in 11 hours

Oh yeah, she's guilty

"We KNOW she's guilty! We just need the EVIDENCE that proves it!" :argh:

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

NPR is doing a story about vilerat's Eve Online stuff right now. Its so nerdy.

Link?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Nocturtle posted:

It's incredible that US politicians can even engage in brinkmanship on debt payments without any real repercussion. Most nations would be invaded by angry bond holders if their government even hinted at purposefully defaulting, much less the effect on bond yields. The US has an amazing advantage with respect to the world in terms of cost of debt, it really shouldn't be wasted.

It's even more infuriating how the media treats this as a typical game between democrats and republicans..

Bob Schieffer: Congress, am I right? :smug:

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I think this is an important point to highlight as often and as loud as possible.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

quote:

@costareports: Trump on Carson today: "I’m Presbyterian. Boy, that’s down the middle of road, folks... I mean, Seventh-Day Adventist I don’t know about."

Here we gooooo :unsmigghh:

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
And so began the second American Civil War.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Seventh Day Adventists. Boy, I don't know.

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

So, how's the theory of Trump trolling the election cycle? Have there been any good write-ups worth reading yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Tji1g0WrPw

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Kafka Esq. posted:

And so began the second American Civil War.

Hopefully the good guys actually win this time. :ancap:

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Here we gooooo :unsmigghh:

After all the poo poo Carson said about Muslims, he deserves every bit of this. See how he likes having his religion attacked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Mr Interweb posted:

Hopefully the good guys actually win this time. :ancap:

It's actually going to work like Victoria 2 where one day the :ancap: rise up and suddenly 2 million revolvers in Rapid City.

• Locked thread