Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cymoril
Jul 1, 2005

Kittens Warm the World
Dinosaur Gum

BigBoss posted:

Albany, NY and Harrisburg, PA might as well be in Wisconsin.

Why should Albany be in Wisconsin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
I don't miss much about small towns, but I have a soft spot for small town Christmas. Like there's so little to do most of the time that they go loving nuts for Christmas, decorating entire yards and putting up lights absolutely everywhere and throwing poo poo tons of parades and lots of family parties. They get so genuinely excited for Christmas. :shobon:

Now I live in a city and other than some wreaths or music in the stores, you'd barely notice. :(

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

BigBoss posted:

Albany, NY and Harrisburg, PA might as well be in Wisconsin.

PS here is another girl from Monroe, MI. Midwestern girls... wow!

Lol what the gently caress are you smoking? I've lived in Albany my entire life and it is nothing like Wisconsin.

Mainly because there's more than three black people.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

I don't miss much about small towns, but I have a soft spot for small town Christmas. Like there's so little to do most of the time that they go loving nuts for Christmas, decorating entire yards and putting up lights absolutely everywhere and throwing poo poo tons of parades and lots of family parties. They get so genuinely excited for Christmas. :shobon:

Now I live in a city and other than some wreaths or music in the stores, you'd barely notice. :(

i'm all for nostalgia but if i ever get to live somewhere sane i cannot imagine thinking 'i wish all this nature was blocked out by plastic stuff illuminated by lights'

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT

extra stout posted:

i'm all for nostalgia but if i ever get to live somewhere sane i cannot imagine thinking 'i wish all this nature was blocked out by plastic stuff illuminated by lights'

You get to look at all the nature literally all year. Christmas is time for hokey lights and lots of those yard reindeer sculptures. Also sometimes people leave their Christmas lights up all year round

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
My dad has those metal reindeers that are covered in lights. Every year, one of the neighborhood kids positions one mounting the other from behind. My dad's yearly reaction of :argh: never fails to make me lol.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

haljordan posted:

Lol what the gently caress are you smoking? I've lived in Albany my entire life and it is nothing like Wisconsin.

Mainly because there's more than three black people.

I'm smoking a cigarette. A camel Turkish gold if you want to be specific.

Also, it's cool you live in Albany. You'd feel right at home in Grand Rapids, MI or Columbus, Ohio if you ever get a chance to visit!

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

KiteAuraan posted:

Shameful "chili" on spaghetti? With a pound of cheese? Jesus. No wonder the thought of the midwest fills me with existential dread.

it actually looks p dece sorry you're a fat loving goon

Cymoril
Jul 1, 2005

Kittens Warm the World
Dinosaur Gum

BigBoss posted:

I'm smoking a cigarette. A camel Turkish gold if you want to be specific.

Also, it's cool you live in Albany. You'd feel right at home in Grand Rapids, MI or Columbus, Ohio if you ever get a chance to visit!

But why. I work in Albany and have never been to MI or Ohio.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Arian_Samurai posted:

There is a sign on the door assuring people they're still open, which I love

this is most impressive picture in the thread

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Booblord Zagats posted:

What is it with goons and not being able to differentiate between the South and the Mid-West?

you ever read the sentiment on these (read: all forums, everywhere on the internet. I have never found one that doesn't subscribe to it) forums that "most forums are full of stupid people acting smart, but this one is full of smart people acting stupid"? Goons are actually just loving dumb in general and any opposing example is basically an aberration. Seriously, we're dumb as hell

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Hot Jam posted:

if your brain sees "chris kyle" written in the corn field it means you are a true patriot

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Frostwerks posted:

this is most impressive picture in the thread

Modest Mauser
Oct 28, 2009

Nothus Infelix posted:

Good call on the Henry Ford. I guess you're going to metro Detroit?

There lots of scenery outdoors and nature. Great Lakes. Little lakes. Forests. Dunes. Rivers. Lighthouses. There are places you can walk around and pick up fossils. A lot of the nature is up north, though, and you probably don't want to go there this time of year. But if you want to go swimming in a lake, try Van Buren State Park, the nuclear plant will heat up the water for you.

Fewer crazy people than the South, but I'm probably biased.

Yes I go to visit a friend who live near Detroit so I am looking in particular for things around that area. I lived in Georgia when I first moved to US and the people were loving crazy. My friend says rural Michigan people can be the same way but I refuse to believe they are anywhere near as bad lol.

I am more interested in outdoors sort of stuff, but really anything interesting wouod be fine. It is all new to me regardless

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

Booblord Zagats posted:

What is it with goons and not being able to differentiate between the South and the Mid-West?

This was at the Country Stampede, which takes place in NE Kansas, which is in the midwest. Hope that helps.

Also in NE Kansas, hipsters

Bonus beat/grunge meeting in NE Kansas

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
the midwest owns. but i know this thread is for talking poo poo about the midwest so i'm looking for the photo of the klan flyer i picked off my car a few years ago

ur in my world now fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Oct 24, 2015

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Why is that raccoon trying to steal that dog. What use is a dog to a raccoon

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Matey posted:

This was at the Country Stampede, which takes place in NE Kansas, which is in the midwest. Hope that helps.

Also in NE Kansas, hipsters

Bonus beat/grunge meeting in NE Kansas

i like the pig, they make good drinks

I spent most of my college days at Harbor Lights, the Red Lyon and Henry's (the french club met there on thursday nights)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
My local baseball team is called the Corn Belters. There, somehow, was a controversy about this incredibly important issue. (bolding mine, please don't waste your time reading the whole thing, it's very boring as all of the midwest is):

quote:

Name-the-team contest and surrounding controversy

The CornBelters were named after a fan vote to determine the name. A publicity stunt occurred after the four finalists were unveiled:

Normal Nutz; an homage to the Beer Nuts brand based in nearby Bloomington (NOTE: The entries were originally "Nuts," but the ownership modified it to avoid conflict with the California League's Modesto Nuts) Normal NightHawks; a popular alliterative nickname. Normal CornBelters; a reference to Illinois' location in the Corn Belt. "Belt" is also a slang term meaning to hit the ball hard. Normal Coal Bears; submitted by fans of political satirist and The Colbert Report host Stephen Colbert (pronounced [kʰɔlˈbɛɹ], just like "coal bear"). Since the character often encourages these fans (known as the "Colbert Nation") to vote for things to be named after him, the team is hoping he'll give them some attention (similar to the Ontario Hockey League's Saginaw Spirit, whose mascot is named Steagle Colbeagle the Eagle and has gotten the team and league mentioned often on the show). [1] [2] In addition to the reference, Illinois (especially the west side of Bloomington-Normal) also has a strong heritage in coal mining, as reflected by future rival the Southern Illinois Miners. [3] Voting was originally set to take place until April 27. On the first day of voting, the Coal Bears had a significant 95 percent lead in the poll. However, that lead would significantly decline in the next two days to 24 percent with "Nutz" leading at 75 percent. Many fans suspected voting fraud, as "Nutz" had business ties and an "anti-Coal Bears" conspiracy was suggested by the fan-run normalcoalbears.com. On April 24, owner Steve Malliet announced that due to these allegations, he was starting the poll over again, this time requiring every voter to submit various information to enforce a "one fan, one vote" policy. This system was easily overcome by the same local hackers that had rigged the results of the earlier poll with a python script, and the name that had been last in the original round of voting was bumped to the top via another script that was able to leverage a flaw in the voting site's CAPTCHA mechanism. While "Nutz," "CornBelters," and "Coal Bears" were kept, "NightHawks" was dropped because of the term's other meaning as a position of responsibility in the Ku Klux Klan. In addition, two other choices were added:

Normal Fellers; an homage to Jesse W. Fell, the founder of Illinois State University (ergo, the founder of the city of Normal), as well as the term "Feller" referring to "regular guy". Normal CamelBacks; an homage to Camelback Bridge, built to allow steam locomotives to pass underneath and currently arching over Constitution Trail. It is listed on the U.S. National Register of Historic Places.

Voting fraud. There was a voting fraud scandal about naming the baseball team that represents Bloomington/Normal, Illinois.

Look at the corn. Look at how tired he looks. He just wants to rest. Just bomb us all, we don't want to be here. Please.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Oct 24, 2015

dogdisaster
May 31, 2014

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

cornhole goes hand in hand with drinking, and is drat fun tyvm

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Cornhole was part of my high school gym curriculum

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

BuckarooBanzai posted:

It's Culver's from Wisconsin which if you don't know this intrinsically than your life is utterly meaningless.

for some reason culvers is only good in wisconsin. they've opened up some here in the chicago area and they're goddamn awful. the patrons and staff alike in there even look like they've been imported from wisconsin. like some kind of half rear end wisconsin embassy serving gross people lovely burgers.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

dogdisaster posted:

cornhole goes hand in hand with drinking, and is drat fun tyvm

I got really good at cornhole last summer because I was hanging out with my friend from las vegas who went to college in kentucky (we live in iowa)

cornhole transcends regions

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

NomChompsky posted:

for some reason culvers is only good in wisconsin. they've opened up some here in the chicago area and they're goddamn awful. the patrons and staff alike in there even look like they've been imported from wisconsin. like some kind of half rear end wisconsin embassy serving gross people lovely burgers.

I've had Culver's outside of Wisconsin and they all have been decent at worst.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

spacemang_spliff posted:

i like the pig, they make good drinks

I spent most of my college days at Harbor Lights, the Red Lyon and Henry's (the french club met there on thursday nights)

these are all good places

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Picture a retard punching a human face, forever.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
And Jeffery Dahmer is also a hometown hero. He did all of his killings in Milwaukee, not Ohio. :confused:

We also have other terrible atrocities, like Scott Walker. Lots of scary poo poo in Wisconsin.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Daedra posted:

Paging jastiger to post the infamous iowa chop

Google your own Iowa Chop.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
people willingly live in these places, thats depressing

dirk0
Jun 24, 2004
They don't serve fried chicken and watermelon on a daily basis in my mess hall!
Dinosaur Gum

Ultimo Hombre
Jul 26, 2015

Pennywise the Frown posted:

And Jeffery Dahmer is also a hometown hero. He did all of his killings in Milwaukee, not Ohio. :confused:

We also have other terrible atrocities, like Scott Walker. Lots of scary poo poo in Wisconsin.

He killed a hitchhiker in Ohio, that was his first. Culvers is okay I guess, but there is no finer food then a Skyline chili 3way. I truly feel sorry for those of you that haven't tried it.

Ultimo Hombre fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Oct 24, 2015

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
That chili uses cinnamon in place of chili powder, if anyone was unaware.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

CJacobs posted:

My local baseball team is called the Corn Belters. There, somehow, was a controversy about this incredibly important issue. (bolding mine, please don't waste your time reading the whole thing, it's very boring as all of the midwest is):
Sup Normalgoon. To be fair the Normal CornBelters, though a terrible name, was the least terrible alternative to the obviously perfect Coal Bears. We could have ridden that publicity for years. Sigh. Now we will just have to be content basking in our pathetic residual Jake From State Farm fame (at least I think he was from Normal; he was definitely at the Bloomington Corporate Headquarters).

One thing living around the country and the world teaches you though is that a boring, affluent, and safe hometown is vastly preferable to many alternatives.

Plus this being the Not At All Ironic Midwest thread, Normal is like the champagne of small Midwestern cities, so there is that. Champaign pun intended.

Never mind, you were right, everything is boring

Edit: Ultimo Hombre, you misspelled "Steak 'n' Shake"

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Quarex posted:

Sup Normalgoon. To be fair the Normal CornBelters, though a terrible name, was the least terrible alternative to the obviously perfect Coal Bears. We could have ridden that publicity for years. Sigh. Now we will just have to be content basking in our pathetic residual Jake From State Farm fame (at least I think he was from Normal; he was definitely at the Bloomington Corporate Headquarters).

One thing living around the country and the world teaches you though is that a boring, affluent, and safe hometown is vastly preferable to many alternatives.

Plus this being the Not At All Ironic Midwest thread, Normal is like the champagne of small Midwestern cities, so there is that. Champaign pun intended.

That is true, it could always be worse. We could be living in Chicago and be dead from bad drivers and/or gun violence.

Ultimo Hombre
Jul 26, 2015

Quarex posted:

Thanks for reminding me, a Frisco melt and strawberry shake does sound good for tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

steak and shake got much shittier over the past 10 years or so imo

• Locked thread