Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Backhand posted:

Just got this game. Was not in the beta, have only played for like half an hour thus far, know jack poo poo about anything. Any convenient resources for with which to help me not suck?

And holy poo poo does the elf EVER stop complaining. I have yet to hear a single line from her that isn't bitching.

Here's 5 easy steps to being good at vermintide.

Step 1: Stay together

Step 2: Remember to use block and push because they mean you don't take damage which is more important then hitting a rat.

Step 3: Use potions they are everywhere and do you zero good when you are dead

Step 4: Heal immediately after you go down because it will turn your temp hp into real hp in addition to healing 50% of your health.

Step 5: gently caress the elf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwatHammer
Sep 29, 2014

So i've been having poo poo loot drops all day from hard/nightmare, as in nothing but greens. Last round doing a hard horn it just took the piss. Every loving item on the list was a trinket other than the success which was a shotgun.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
Around elves watch yourselves.

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

Anyone got any words on witch hunter? just been rolling around with an axe and crossbow, it's not flashy but its cool as gently caress

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

sirtommygunn posted:

Alright I just want some quick loot so ill do black powder with pubs (I know, I hosed up).

Wipe to the rat ogre because nobody but me is attempting to stay close to anyone else, game crashes.

Wipe to the rat ogre because nobody but me is attempting to stay close to anyone else.

Game bugs out and will not let us finish the level despite having all the barrels and everyone being on the boat. Eventual death to attrition/throwing ourselves off the side of the boat 10 minutes later.

I really do like this game but a. gently caress pubbies b. this game was really not ready for launch.

It's mostly just Black Powder that consistently fucks up. Everything else is mostly optimization problems.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

randombattle posted:

This is really the most important step.

Even if she's actually pretty good, I kind of hate the elf. She never has anything good to say, and it's just to grating after hearing the dwarf laugh like a loon and launch into his latest dwarfen drinking song.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Backhand posted:

And holy poo poo does the elf EVER stop complaining. I have yet to hear a single line from her that isn't bitching.
she's a wood elf so no (also this is canon)

TwatHammer posted:

So i've been having poo poo loot drops all day from hard/nightmare, as in nothing but greens. Last round doing a hard horn it just took the piss. Every loving item on the list was a trinket other than the success which was a shotgun.
Real talk the way to fix the loot system in this game is to allow us to choose anything UP TO the number of successes we got. So if you get 5 successes but you'd prefer the 4 successes trinket, you can do that. I honestly don't see the point in 2 grimoire runs right now just because the second health handicap REALLY hurts and you've basically got even odds on whether or not the extra guaranteed success will even be helpful. Hard and Nightmare are mostly made up of the useful rarity tiers, and there's no telling where the thing you actually want will be in that tier.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Oct 24, 2015

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Coolguye posted:

she's a wood elf so no (also this is canon)

But the High Elves are supposed to be the bitter ones. The Wood Elves are the crazy ones.

Tbh they kind of dropped the ball by making the Wood Elf act more like a stereotypical Lord of the Rings elf.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Finally got a Handgun for the State Trooper. Its nice. :golgo:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Captain Oblivious posted:

But the High Elves are supposed to be the bitter ones. The Wood Elves are the crazy ones.

Tbh they kind of dropped the ball by making the Wood Elf act more like a stereotypical Lord of the Rings elf.

Kerillian is an outcast of some sort and probably cursed, since the Bright Wizard mentions that Kerillian soaks up magic every time she kills a skaven for some reason. She's really bitter and pissy for a reason.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I also don't think absolutely solid jet black eyes are normal, even for wood elves.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

and?

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

So the soldiers repeated gun with rupture(gives shots Pierce) and 50% increased magazine size makes you ridiculously good at thinning down hordes and holding doorways.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Kanos posted:

Kerillian is an outcast of some sort and probably cursed, since the Bright Wizard mentions that Kerillian soaks up magic every time she kills a skaven for some reason. She's really bitter and pissy for a reason.

The Elf's card says she's counting all her kills for unshared personal reasons. Maybe she has a curse and she needs to kill X rats to lift it?

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

Kanos posted:

her bg says her senses were always sharper than most as kid and one night she made the dumb mistake of following a spellsinger deep into the woods. Definitely cursed.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i'm a hit at parties with this trick

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Do all of the bows hit multiple targets? I got a green bow and if I charge it up it will hit the target I am aiming at and then "seek" another enemy or two but it doesn't list this trait anywhere.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

randombattle posted:

No no, you have to start modding if you want that.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Kruber wants to.

ChickenWyngz
Apr 3, 2015

Got them WMD's! Got that Pandemic!
Downloading now because holy poo poo how did this go under my radar. Does the witch hunter get a giant hat? This is important

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

ChickenWyngz posted:

Downloading now because holy poo poo how did this go under my radar. Does the witch hunter get a giant hat? This is important

yes

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Kruber is friendly and nice with like, every single other character. He's a great guy.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Also the only melee weapon the wizard should use is the flaming sword. Performance does not matter here.

TwatHammer
Sep 29, 2014

Somehow some guys managed to find a way to farm black powder on cataclysm in ~3 minutes. poo poo is insane. The loot table is almost all exotic drops

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqEbK17Tdbc

TwatHammer fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Oct 24, 2015

ChickenWyngz
Apr 3, 2015

Hnnnng

Faster steam, faster!

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe

Knifegrab posted:

Do all of the bows hit multiple targets? I got a green bow and if I charge it up it will hit the target I am aiming at and then "seek" another enemy or two but it doesn't list this trait anywhere.

Some have penetration but what you have is a trueflight bow. If you select it in your inventory and scroll to the bottom it will tell you.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

TwatHammer posted:

Somehow some guys managed to find a way to farm black powder on cataclysm in ~3 minutes. poo poo is insane. The loot table is almost all exotic drops

Thanks for telling everyone this and not elaborating in any detail.

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

TwatHammer posted:

is this by exploit or something? i doubt it'll happen but i'd hate to see a wipe or rollback because of some chucklefucks that can't just play the game

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

TwatHammer posted:

I imagine they just ignore the rat ogre and kite him?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Kruber's hat is fancier, look at that thing.

Four white ostrich feathers. :allears:

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

His gauntlet also has SIGMAR across the knuckles and his belt says KARL FRANZ.

Kruber is so Imperial his poo poo has a skull motif.

ChickenWyngz
Apr 3, 2015

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Kruber's hat is fancier, look at that thing.

Four white ostrich feathers. :allears:

The feathers are not technically part of the hat, and have been added afterwards. This is hat cheating and I will not stand for it :witch:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

One of his purity seals has nothing but a massive set of kill marks and another has a little fish drawing on it.

Also, he leaves little notes for all the others in their rooms, sealed with the imperial cross.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Pitdragon posted:

is this by exploit or something? i doubt it'll happen but i'd hate to see a wipe or rollback because of some chucklefucks that can't just play the game

BadLlama posted:

I imagine they just ignore the rat ogre and kite him?

This is the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqEbK17Tdbc

It's nowhere near as good as it first sounds. The text chat at the start points out that they failed A LOT at least while refining the strategy, and i'm going to guess that their success rate isn't a shitload better now. The basic idea, it seems, is essentially to split up to separate barrels and bring them back, basically praying to the deity of your choice that a pack master or gutter runner doesn't show up early and ruin everything.

One of the comments makes an interesting assertion, though, that apparently the Rat Ogre on Black Powder is timed. If that's the case, then it does indeed make sense to basically split up and try to get everything or almost everything done before the ROgre arrives, since his influence is what ends most runs at Black Powder. This is true either directly (by killing people) or indirectly (by hurting people so bad that they can't survive the next couple of horde attacks).

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Rat Ogres really aren't a big deal. If it's looking at you block and jump backwards. If it's not looking at you stab it in the back. Repeat until you win.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Yeah that's not really a trick or anything just being real lucky with spawns. Black Powder probably is the easiest though just because how short it is if you go fast.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Can you do anything with dupe trinkets? Didn't seem like I could melt it down

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Fans posted:

Rat Ogres really aren't a big deal. If it's looking at you block and jump backwards. If it's not looking at you stab it in the back. Repeat until you win.
That would be true if the semantics were the same as the L4D tank and latency weren't a thing. But neither of those things are true. Many people have problems dodging backward unless they are the host because the imperfect latency means that they can get hit even when they've dodged backward a good quarter second ago. Further, while the L4D tank basically forestalls horde events and restricts special spawning down to a crawl, the Rat Ogre actively causes horde events as long as he is alive and leaves special spawning untouched (if not aggravating it outright).

It is not honest to say 'oh you can just hit it until it dies.' It's constantly summoning friends who will be hitting you until you die. And this is doubly true on something like Black Powder.

randombattle posted:

Yeah that's not really a trick or anything just being real lucky with spawns. Black Powder probably is the easiest though just because how short it is if you go fast.
It's a fair cop if they've actively noticed that spawns are tamped down up until the 3 minute mark (for the sake of argument). But from one video I can't say I'm convinced that's the case.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Bussamove posted:

This is really the most important step.

Even if she's actually pretty good, I kind of hate the elf. She never has anything good to say, and it's just to grating after hearing the dwarf laugh like a loon and launch into his latest dwarfen drinking song.

The dwarf is so good, because it seems like he has a song for every map.

Which makes the Elf even more of a bummer, because she stops him half the time.

Earlier today I got this.

"EVERYONE, I HAVE THE PERFECT SONG FOR THIS OCCASION."

"Lets hear it Dwarf"

"YELLS A SONG IN DWARFISH"

*Kruber joins in*

"Would you stop your dreadful bellowing dwarf. Some of us are trying to concentrate."

Like fuuuuuck you Elf. Half the team jokingly suggested kicking the Elf player for playing such a spoilsport character. gently caress the Elf. I don't care how good she is, anybody who picks the Elf hates fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Coolguye posted:

That would be true if the semantics were the same as the L4D tank and latency weren't a thing. But neither of those things are true. Many people have problems dodging backward unless they are the host because the imperfect latency means that they can get hit even when they've dodged backward a good quarter second ago. Further, while the L4D tank basically forestalls horde events and restricts special spawning down to a crawl, the Rat Ogre actively causes horde events as long as he is alive and leaves special spawning untouched (if not aggravating it outright).

You don't time the dodges, you just constantly hop backwards like some kind of frog while holding out your guard. If he misses yay for you. If he hits then your guard saves you and you just repeat it. It's silly but it works pretty well as he can never quite catch up to do a proper hit.

If you get a horde and a Rat Ogre then the game hates you sadly. I find usually it'll lay off throwing a swarm at you if you kill the Rat Ogre in good time. Though Hook Rats remain utter bastards.

• Locked thread