Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Tujague posted:

This thread has taken a sharp turn for 100% retarded fatass idiots pulling profoundly philosophical knowledge clean out of their greasy belly-buttons, totally trumping Mr. Misspelled Username McSmartguy's efforts a dozen pages ago, but this right here takes the taco. Especially given the devastating certainty in which it was delivered and the raging, pseudo-intellectual autism and obvious complete ignorance of the terms in which it was couched.

Yeah. Many rich young people, who for some strongly relevant reason were born in a certain time and not before, exist in a tiny little post-scarcity society. We know this because we are loving dumbass goons who seem to think that actual smart people just sort of look out the window before ginning up ringing socio-economic truths and just sort of ream them through the poo poo-covered tube of our vague, hilariously unsupportable impressions. Yeah. Top marks from the old critical thinking department.

What the gently caress does it smell like inside your heads when you are this hardcore faux-smug and stupid?

I mean his comment was dumb but the rants you go on are probably equally as dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Tujague posted:

Yeah. Many rich young people, who for some strongly relevant reason were born in a certain time and not before, exist in a tiny little post-scarcity society. We know this because we are loving dumbass goons who seem to think that actual smart people just sort of look out the window before ginning up ringing socio-economic truths and just sort of ream them through the poo poo-covered tube of our vague, hilariously unsupportable impressions. Yeah. Top marks from the old critical thinking department.

But, its not exactly wrong. Gourmet food shows up anywhere they are with a tap on their phone aka computer. Same for an electric car to shuttle them around driven by someone that is just a few years away from being a talking robot. Same for music, everything recorded is available at a few taps. Literature as well, not that they read it. Powerful computer AI plots and plans their wardrobe for the season, and then sends it to them, automatically, based on their opinion of the last shipment and should spandex jumpsuits ever start to trend they'll be first to be wearing them. They can traverse the ends of the earth without getting wet in the rain, ferried in an 380-sized starship, with beds, showers and more gourmet food, all arranged, by voice command to their computer if they choose via a single tap at their shirt pocket.

Never once handling crude cash for any of it.

A rich kid of instagram is living what may be the closet thing our civilization may ever get to Roddenberry's vision.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Tujague posted:

I mean I don't hang around with dumb fat high school kids with a burning need to be the smartest guy on the planet a lot, are you just supposed to tune it out?

Well you probably only ever hang out with yourself, so I'd say you spend 100% of your time with someone like that in the room.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

TEAYCHES posted:

what does god need with a starship

Star Trek 5 is cool and good

no really, in spite of it's many flaws

man's gods and religions are tiny and dumb compared to the vastness and grandeur of what little of the actual universe we have been fortunate to come to understand in just the last two centuries

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Tujague posted:

Yeah there's a level of stupidity at which I just white out. Some people think it's weird. But, on the other hand,

edit I mean I don't hang around with dumb fat high school kids with a burning need to be the smartest guy on the planet a lot, are you just supposed to tune it out?

You are by far the worst poster in this thread and your periodic poo poo fits aren't amusing.

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
It's sort of funny and sad how stirred up you guys get when I say that desperately straining and grunting to seem smart by earnestposting wildly unexamined, kid-who-read-cliff's-notes philosophy bullshit in the context of a TV spaceship show is real stupid

It's like poking a nest of obese hornets. Like, you all leap with uncharacteristic vigor and wheezing noises to make it stop and try to hurt my feelings via projection. Reminds me of that lowtax thread about changing the shitposting rules.

Premeditated Toast
Apr 24, 2008

Same as it ever was.
There's a very clear pattern to your little temper tantrums: 1) You start calling the people who you're on the Forums with fat, greasy, throw in a line about cheetos or doritos, etc. 2) You talk about how you're so much more clever than whoever you're mad at 3) Then you act like you're some kind of calculating puppet master when people call you out, then you go back to childish name calling. Rinse and repeat every few pages.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NU338bxB5Lo

Jean-Luc continues indulging his tea fetish...

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Tujague posted:

It's sort of funny and sad how stirred up you guys get when I say that desperately straining and grunting to seem smart by earnestposting wildly unexamined, kid-who-read-cliff's-notes philosophy bullshit in the context of a TV spaceship show is real stupid

It's like poking a nest of obese hornets. Like, you all leap with uncharacteristic vigor and wheezing noises to make it stop and try to hurt my feelings via projection. Reminds me of that lowtax thread about changing the shitposting rules.

Holy poo poo guys, he was a puppetmaster all along, and we totally fell for it! Rekt!

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Tujague posted:

:getout:

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Premeditated Toast posted:

There's a very clear pattern to your little temper tantrums: 1) You start calling the people who you're on the Forums with fat, greasy, throw in a line about cheetos or doritos, etc. 2) You talk about how you're so much more clever than whoever you're mad at 3) Then you act like you're some kind of calculating puppet master when people call you out, then you go back to childish name calling. Rinse and repeat every few pages.

In fairness though I am fat and greasy, have three flavours of Doritos within arms length and am infact a puppet. But I don't think his rant was actually direct at me. Pity.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

shadow puppet of a posted:

In fairness though I am fat and greasy, have three flavours of Doritos within arms length and am infact a puppet. But I don't think his rant was actually direct at me. Pity.

Don't leave us hanging. Which flavors?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Orange Sunshine posted:

Don't leave us hanging. Which flavors?

Cool Ranch, Lokar Bean and JAMBALAYA

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
JAMBALAYAAAAA

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

Tujague posted:

This thread has taken a sharp turn for 100% retarded fatass idiots pulling profoundly philosophical knowledge clean out of their greasy belly-buttons, totally trumping Mr. Misspelled Username McSmartguy's efforts a dozen pages ago, but this right here takes the taco. Especially given the devastating certainty in which it was delivered and the raging, pseudo-intellectual autism and obvious complete ignorance of the terms in which it was couched.

What the gently caress does it smell like inside your heads when you are this hardcore faux-smug and stupid?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4em8_iu-Tw

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Can some one link me to a Jambalaya clip.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Tujague posted:

I think you're projecting there a bit buddy.

Rattus Amicus
Mar 8, 2007

Let's stop bickering and get back on track here folks.

http://i.imgur.com/dEQCbUK.gifv

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Star Trek is actually really cool until people start taking it serious.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Rattus Amicus posted:

Let's stop bickering and get back on track here folks.

http://i.imgur.com/dEQCbUK.gifv

Would

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Hi, I've come to apply for the doctor's job. I can assure you my credentials are top-notch, I've just graduated from Harvard College Yale. I aced every semester, and I got an 'A'.
It's pretty cool that all the frizzling sexual chemistry Janeway and Seven had in their scenes together was pretty much fueled entirely out of Kate Mulgrew's hatred for Jeri Ryan. It's not like the writing in anyway supported a sapphic subtext, Berman forbid!

That, and they are both good actors

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 28 hours!
I'm watching TNG and just got to the very first Holodeck Malfunction episode, and Wesley is saying they can't just cut the power because if they do everyone on the holodeck will just disappear.

So I guess early holodeck technology converted organic life into holograms while the holodeck was running?

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Well, she was basically a blow-up doll. Acting aside, you'd have to stick her in a burqa to keep her from having sexy chemistry with everything else on set.

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 28 hours!

Tujague posted:

This is how everyone describes you as well.

Just FYI.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

The Bible posted:

I'm watching TNG and just got to the very first Holodeck Malfunction episode, and Wesley is saying they can't just cut the power because if they do everyone on the holodeck will just disappear.

So I guess early holodeck technology converted organic life into holograms while the holodeck was running?

I just assume if you cut the power nothing will exist anymore so like if someone's on the third floor of a building they will fall to the ground

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Holodecks fall apart because they support multiple people. The technology would be more believable if it was a one person at a time rule. A bunch of suites instead of a deck. Interlinked of course for multi participant.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

The General posted:

Holodecks fall apart because they support multiple people. The technology would be more believable if it was a one person at a time rule. A bunch of suites instead of a deck. Interlinked of course for multi participant.

Or if there could be multiple people but only in the same location.

Having 10 people in that bar that Tom Paris created is believable.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

The General posted:

They :techno:ed this away in an early TNG holodeck episode, I think the first Shelock one? The holodeck basically puts you on a holo treadmill and fakes your field of view in front of you. Or something.

Figaro posted:

It's pretty cool that all the frizzling sexual chemistry Janeway and Seven had in their scenes together was pretty much fueled entirely out of Kate Mulgrew's hatred for Jeri Ryan. It's not like the writing in anyway supported a sapphic subtext, Berman forbid!

That, and they are both good actors

I've never heard this. What caused the animosity?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

isn't Kate Mulgrew just a raging prima donna that rubs off on people the wrong way

I thought I heard that about her on OITNB

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Excelzior posted:

isn't Kate Mulgrew just a raging prima donna that rubs off on people the wrong way

I thought I heard that about her on OITNB

I heard Avery Brooks can be up his own rear end at times (he made everyone call him Mr. Brooks on set) but I don't know about Mulgrew

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Reading Ryan's interview with Aisha Tyler it sounded like some degree of jealousy from Mulgrew.

That being said from what I've read Jeri seems like an alright, down to earth person. She even likes to cook in restaurants.

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Hi, I've come to apply for the doctor's job. I can assure you my credentials are top-notch, I've just graduated from Harvard College Yale. I aced every semester, and I got an 'A'.

Clark Nova posted:

I've never heard this. What caused the animosity?

Jeri Ryan Speaks About Her ‘Intentionally Unpleasant’ Experiences on the “Star Trek: Voyager” Sets

http://trekcore.com/blog/2014/11/ryan-mulgrew-feud/

JERI RYAN: The addition of this character… Voyager was the flagship show of the network -- UPN -- and Paramount saw this as this character as their chance to break Star Trek into the mainstream media, and not just the sci-fi mags and things like that. So the Paramount publicity machine went into overdrive with the addition of this character.

AISHA TYLER: What season was this?

RYAN: This was the beginning of Season Four. Everything was top secret about the character. The costume people didn't see what the makeup people were doing, everything was secret, secret, secret. They didn't want anybody to know anything about it until the day I walked on to set to shoot this -- which is a bunch of other stories! [Laughs] It was crazy.

They were very successful in getting the mainstream media to pay attention to it with the addition of the character.

TYLER: What were the other stories? It's so far in the past...

RYAN: It is so far in the past. Oh, god. [Laughs]

TYLER: Pick the one that you feel comfortable sharing.

RYAN: It was understandably tough for an existing cast that had been together for three years already. Star Trek, traditionally -- because this was like the fourth incarnation of Star Trek at the time -- was always the Captain, or the Captain and First Officer. Typically, it's the Captain that gets the attention of the press, and the shows revolve around that.

So all of a sudden, all of that shifted drastically in Season Four and now the writers, who have been writing for the same seven characters for three years, are salivating for something new to write with. They've got this character that's so rich, because she's not even human when they start out...

TYLER: And the whole point of it is what it means to be human, it's a huge storyline.

RYAN: Right, there's no better way to do that. Consequently, all the scripts revolved around Seven of Nine and her relationship with the other characters, of course -- which actually ended up leading to some really rich storylines for the other characters.

TYLER: There was probably more diversity in terms of storyline for everybody.

RYAN: Exactly -- but that's hard, when the new kid comes in and suddenly it's all about them. That was tough, and it was particularly tough for some more than others, which was not real fun. It really made it an unpleasant work experience.

TYLER: Did that continue, or did evolve?

RYAN: It continued, for quite a while.

I mean, for the most part, everybody was phenomenal and absolutely great -- and the guys, my God, I loved my boys on that show. [Laughs] They were hilarious to the point that if I had a two-shot with and then it's my close-up, I had to look off-camera because if I looked at them I'd just break and crack up.

But yeah, it was unnecessarily unpleasant for a couple of years -- basically, until I started dating [Brannon Braga]. Once I was dating the boss, funny how things suddenly cleaned up!

[Laughs] But it was really, really tough the first couple of years. and there were many days when I was nauseous before going into work because it was that miserable. Just unnecessarily, intentionally unpleasant.

TYLER: And such a waste of energy.

RYAN: Waste of energy.

TYLER: I always feel like there's a strange intimacy on a set that makes difficult sets much more difficult that working at a difficult office -- because you can usually avoid the other person...

RYAN: Right. There's no avoidance on a set, and most of my scenes were with this person.

TYLER: Oh, god.

RYAN: I mean, there was NO avoidance, because it was the richest relationship. They really wanted to capitalize on that.

TYLER: I'm not going to ask you... I'm sure people can deduce [who it is] if they spend some time Google-ing.

RYAN: Right, yeah.

TYLER: I have had friends who have been in situations... where they had a very close co-star, sometimes their love interest, and they really did not like each other off-camera. I know someone who went through this, and they were just not even on speaking terms, and they had to kiss on camera. How was that for you -- did you develop mental tricks? Like, what did you do?

RYAN: There was nothing I COULD do -- literally I would be nauseous when I knew these scenes were coming up. When there were a lot of scenes with this person the next day, I was sick to my stomach all night, just miserable. It was so unnecessary and just so petty; things like, oh my God...[Laughs]

We'd have scenes -- because a lot of my scenes took place in this set they built for my character called the Astrometrics Lab. It was a really impressive-looking set with this huge, massive, curved green-screen and this giant window. So there's only one entrance to the set, because all the cameras were built up on platforms and stuff to shoot the window -- there was just one set of doors.

I remember this one time in particular, I had this once scene with this person, just the two of us. We do their coverage first, and shoot their side of this really dramatic scene, and then it was time for my coverage. Before every close-up, the hair and makeup and wardrobe teams come in and do touch-ups and everything to make sure everything's right... [Laughs wildly]

[The co-star] shut the door to the set, and said, "She's fine. LET'S GO." Wouldn't let them in. Just stupid, stupid stuff like that

.TYLER: And by the way, out of their job description.

RYAN: Exactly. Let people do their jobs.

TYLER: Not your call!

RYAN: Right, things like that. Another time, I don't even think it was the same day, but a different scene with that person on the same set -- we do their side first, and then it's my coverage on close-up for this really intense scene. The literally sat off-camera picking their nails, thumbing through a book, and just haphazardly saying their lines off camera without even making eye contact.

TYLER: It would have been better to just not have them there.

RYAN: Yeah, could the [assistant director] just read it off camera? I'm good.

TYLER: Anyone? A production assistant? A C-Stand and a tennis ball? It would be better.

RYAN: Exactly! It would have been better. It was intentional, purely intentional and unnecessary.p

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I can see why Mulgrew would have been pissed. She was the female lead of the show, that's not terribly common type of role for a 40+ actress and by all accounts she was really jazzed about the opportunity to play a trek captain. Then the show is poo poo, the production is lifeless, the writing is godawful, the ratings drop, and the next thing you know they're refocusing the show around a big titted blonde ten years younger than you. It's still totally unprofessional behavior on her part but whatever, when you look at how Beltran behaved and got away with it I'm not surprised the rest of the cast just behaved like a bunch of fuckheads.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
You guys think Garrett Wang hot boxed the Delta Flyer?

I bet he did

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Boy, it's a good thing that the gently caress toy started banging the boss man or she never would have earned the respect of her peers!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Clark Nova posted:

They :techno:ed this away in an early TNG holodeck episode, I think the first Shelock one? The holodeck basically puts you on a holo treadmill and fakes your field of view in front of you. Or something.

Yeah, so it makes even more sense to just have a bunch of little single-man-sized holopods.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
That wouldn't make for as good a show though.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Tujague posted:

Boy, it's a good thing that the gently caress toy started banging the boss man or she never would have earned the respect of her peers!

You should smoke a joint or something man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Tujague posted:

Tell me about your porn collection.

• Locked thread