Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
They should have just ripped off Ghost Trick's ending and have Pompidou go back ten years in the past as a spirit and makes sure everyone lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

I completely missed this part, I just remember being in the Alt reality and reading Principal Wells' letter to William about how Blackwell couldn't possibly accommodate Chloe because she's in a wheelchair.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Paladinus posted:

Just lmao at those endings. What a mess.

I liked how they referenced their bullshit bottles fetching quest during the stupid unnecessary trippy stealth section, though. Otherwise, nothing loving mattered. Either you kill a whole bloody town, or everyone including Kate is safe regardless of your choices. I know time travel is hard, but drat it, it all resolved in the dumbest way possible. Oh no, Max, it was you, you've caused the tornado because, uhm, quantum chaos and, uh, reasons. Yeah, sure. Like, it would be better, if they just did the Donnie Darko ending. At the very least Warren is now my boyfriend, so you all can go gently caress yourselfies.

Yeah that everything resolves nicely because Chloe died is irritating especially since the game constantly tells you "your choices matter." The only choice that matters is the very last one and that choice is the same regardless of anything you do in the game and that decision undoes pretty much everything you did either way. Either everyone you helped or screwed over dies or you never got the chance to make that decision. It's really a shame since the game was very good up until they blew it at the end.

Accordion Man posted:

They should have just ripped off Ghost Trick's ending and have Pompidou go back ten years in the past as a spirit and makes sure everyone lives.

I kinda wish that you found the picture of you and Chloe as kids having fun totally last and saving her dad set everything right instead of ridiculously having the ramifications it did. When I saw her in the wheelchair I laughed since it was so ham fisted. "You thought changing the thing that made her life go off the rails was a good thing?? YOU WERE WRONG AHAHHA!" Of course that also invalidates your choices but it isn't so mean spirited.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Oct 24, 2015

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Paladinus posted:

Warren is now my boyfriend

And, in just five words, the true Bad Ending is revealed.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I spent a lot of effort getting Brooke a date with that guy and now that's never gonna happen. :mad:

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

seravid posted:

Some men just want to watch the world go ape.

wyoming fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Oct 24, 2015

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Radish posted:

I kinda wish that you found the picture of you and Chloe as kids having fun totally last and saving her dad set everything right instead of ridiculously having the ramifications it did. When I saw her in the wheelchair I laughed since it was so ham fisted. "You thought changing the thing that made her life go off the rails was a good thing?? YOU WERE WRONG AHAHHA!" Of course that also invalidates your choices but it isn't so mean spirited.
I was fine with that because it fit in with Max having to learn to be responsible with her powers, going that far back just has too many variables so Max learns to only change things in the recent past. It would also have fit in with "Max was given her powers to stop Jefferson and Sean Prescott" plot if they went with it, because she was straying too far away from her mission.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

seravid posted:

Hey. I know you're just jealous.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Accordion Man posted:

I was fine with that because it fit in with Max having to learn to be responsible with her powers, going that far back just has too many variables so Max learns to only change things in the recent past. It would also have fit in with "Max was given her powers to stop Jefferson and Sean Prescott" plot if they went with it, because she was straying too far away from her mission.

Yeah I agree that would be fine if they went with that plot instead of whatever weird lesson we were supposed to learn. After the ending though and in combination with the multitude of ways Chloe gets herself killed it just feels like the universe REALLY hates her for something.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
I just powered through this whole game over two days and while maybe I missed out on some of the hype churned up by all the waiting in between chapters I have to say this game has me really torn. On one hand I feel they went really dark with some of the events in the game like Rachel being dead[/quote] which I called because it's unrealistic for [spoiler]any person let alone a girl being missing that long and still being alive. And the pictures and environment in The Dark Room was legitimately unnerving. And yet I never really felt like I had control or that my decisions ever mattered because I could always go back and change everything.

In the end I feel incredibly cheated. I was expecting something more like Mass Effect where decisions built of eachother and had persistent, palpable, lingering consequences. (Though in the end even Bioware copped out on the make choices and your choices matter thing.) I feel like this game wasn't committed to it and that the consequences were usually immediate and just guilt inspiring. I even had a save game where I make all the worst/meanest choices and it's that run which made how little everything mattered stand out. There were no branching paths everything happened as it needed to with just a few lines of dialog changed here and there.

And after all that everything really does rely on one decision at the end. It was insulting especially when the choice is Chloe or no Chloe and all you get at the end for choosing Chloe is a significant look at the end.

So cheated.

I guess what I'm saying is if they're gonna make Chloe a focal point and put all this weight and importance on her and her relationship with Max then I personally expect some hard core lesbianism. Or at least some best friendship ever snuggles and horizon gazings. (I personally was in it for the lesbianism.)

In short this game could have and should have been a lot gayer.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

In the end, this game just makes me want to go back and replay Gone Home.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

BobTheJanitor posted:

In the end, this game just makes me want to go back and replay Gone Home.
At least those Oregon lesbians managed to get an actual bittersweet ending.

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.

Jenner posted:

Life Is Strange: this game could have and should have been a lot gayer.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
In the Chloe ending she should have left Max alone in the empty ruined town for effectively killing her mother. No rides into the sunset for you, you piece of poo poo hipster bitch baby.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I GeekRemix has me thinking, does the choices we've made "really" matter at all when we can just rewind time invalidating other choices we could make? What "strength" do the choices we make have? We cherry picked the best ones, and none of it mattered because the storm still happened regardless of it all.

I do believe it wasn't all for naught, because this was the universe giving us a chance to spend 5 days with chloe in order to make up for leaving her for the past 5 years.

That being said, I don't think the bathroom was where max first discovered her powers. This max was a max who changed something in another photo, which resulted in her snapping back into class with no memory of time travel (because it happened before she got the time travel power). This max was probably previous max's earlier choice of "well I'll change this so I never meet chloe and I never discover my powers", but she had no memory of her previous incursions so it happened again anyways.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

Paladinus posted:

In the Chloe ending she should have left Max alone in the empty ruined town for effectively killing her mother. No rides into the sunset for you, you piece of poo poo hipster bitch baby.

Except the diner's still intact in that ending. Although I will say it would've been nice for the Chloe ending to expand a bit on what did and didn't get wrecked by the storm.

Barring all that though I agree with whatever post said that Joy would've wanted Chloe saved if she'd somehow known about the crazy choice.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Adlai Stevenson posted:

Except the diner's still intact in that ending. Although I will say it would've been nice for the Chloe ending to expand a bit on what did and didn't get wrecked by the storm.

Barring all that though I agree with whatever post said that Joy would've wanted Chloe saved if she'd somehow known about the crazy choice.

The diner's sign says 'DI E '. I'm pretty sure that literally everyone in that town is dead, because nothing points to the contrary. But even if for a moment we imagine that some people survived, Victoria is dead for sure and so is Kate if you didn't save her. Serves them right for not having the right hair colour, I suppose.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Paladinus posted:

The diner's sign says 'DI E '. I'm pretty sure that literally everyone in that town is dead, because nothing points to the contrary. But even if for a moment we imagine that some people survived, Victoria is dead for sure and so is Kate if you didn't save her. Serves them right for not having the right hair colour, I suppose.

#baebeforebay
I think that after everything Max has been through she deserves a truly selfish choice.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Accordion Man posted:

At least those Oregon lesbians managed to get an actual bittersweet ending.

They probably died in the storm they ran out into so nah. Thinking about it maybe it's the same universe. By selfishly saving Chloe you killed the two girls from Gone Home.

I'm not sure why people want to save Chloe anyway. Two minutes after the end she's just going to throw it back in your face and blame you for killing her mom or something since that's what she does constantly.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Oct 25, 2015

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Paladinus posted:

I'm pretty sure that literally everyone in that town is dead, because nothing points to the contrary.

How soon after the tornado do they drive through the town in the save Chloe ending? Because the corpse they drive past is covered with a tarp, which suggests someone was there to cover it. I can't recall if I saw any rescue crews in the clips though...

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
I find it hard to believe everyone died you know some people had enough time to flee. Joyce was in the diner the whole time so she probably died, but at least it was along with Warren and Frank so that's okay.

TheMopeSquad fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Oct 25, 2015

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Radish posted:

They probably died in the storm they ran out into so nah. Thinking about it maybe it's the same universe. By selfishly saving Chloe you killed the two girls from Gone Home.
Gone Home takes place nearly twenty years before Life is Strange, so that wouldn't work.

It could have been a neat easter egg if they had two middle-aged women that looked suspiciously like Sam and Lonnie hanging around the diner for a scene or something though.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

TheMopeSquad posted:

I find it hard to believe everyone died you know some people had enough time to flee. Joyce was in the diner the whole time so she probably died, but at least it was along with Warren and Frank so that's okay.

Ah, yes. Just remembered that the diner explodes, unless you intervene. And you don't. So, yeah, good job killing both of Chloe's parents.

E: If you pick the Chloe ending, you are a bad person. Remember that.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Oct 25, 2015

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Paladinus posted:

Ah, yes. Just remembered that the diner explodes, unless you intervene. And you don't. So, yeah, good job killing both of Chloe's parents.

That's in another timeline, before you jump back through Warren's photo, so the same exact circumstances that lead to the diner exploding probably do not happen.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Incidentally, I hope whoever found their true love in Mexico is happy with what they've wrought.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

Paladinus posted:

Except the diner didn't explode in the Save Chloe ending. As I said in my last post which you quoted. Seriously dude

Indrazar
Sep 19, 2011
Remember that explosion takes place in the timeline where you are with Chloe and not where you are captured. Since the game takes huge liberties with ~chaos theory~ it could be totally possible that Joyce does not die in that timeline. Part of the problem is that they don't bother showing who lives and who dies. I guess we could just assume it was the most deadly tornado ever and killed every person. Using the dead body with the tarp over it as a symbol of "literally all the people are dead".

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
Having just gone through episode 5, while on the whole I loved the series, the ending is leaving me a bit cold the more I think about it. And since I'm thinking about it I've been chewing on a thought for awhile here:

Would the story be better if there just wasn't a tornado at all?

Because if you think about it there is not really nearly as much focus on an incoming, town-destroying natural disaster in this series as you would expect from episode 1. Instead like 90% of the story is basically solving a missing person case, or unmasking a serial killer/druggist, or repairing a relationship between two best-friends when one of them is pretty traumatized through family tragedy. The natural disaster basically just comes into play the second the serial killer plot is resolved halfway through chapter 5 and is basically a non-presence before that. Yes: birds, whales, double moon, but all of that is unconnected to what's really going on in the plot for most of the time. You could remove it all and it would have no difference. You could leave it in, and it would make things creepy, and probably no one would really mind that it isn't explained anymore.

Removing the dream sequence at the start doesn't make it any more difficult to get Max into the bathroom for the first time to activate her powers; and after that basically all the driving force of the plot is basically her wanting to reconnect and help Chloe, which leads into a hunt for Rachel, which leads into everything else. The tornado basically has no effect on any of that.

Personally it would have been more affecting if the consequences of time travel were manifested not in a bunch of environmental effects but in effects to Max herself, like the constant nosebleeds and the descent into crazy town that is the nightmare sequence. What if hopping through a dozen timelines trying to save Chloe all the time wasn't destroying the world, but just killing Max, and driving her insane? It would fit right into a story which spends most of it's time with an intense, personal focus, on individual characters and how they interact.

If they didn't want a generic happy ending where everyone's fine, consider a choice between Chloe and Max surviving; maybe Chloe lives but Max dies from the effort of bending time, or Chloe convincing Max to let her die at the end isn't about the town being tornadoed but about saving Max. That would be a much more difficult choice, at least to me, then the one you get at the end now which is basically Heroic Sacrifice or Kill Everyone. There was no way for me to see that as a real choice, because Max is not a sociopath, and I couldn't find any justification to accept her blithely killing thousands of people just to keep Chloe alive. The fact that the Kill Everyone ending seems a lot more abrupt and phoned in only reinforces the idea that the choice is bogus.

That's my biggest problem; the tornado makes it a false choice, so the only "real" choice is for Chloe to die. I have seen that plot beat a billion times: You Can't Fight Fate. Well and good, if that's what you want to go for, but YCFF is a well-trod path at this point, in a lot of stories. It's boring, frankly, and it diminishes what was a fresh and interesting plot that came before it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The game really isn't about fighting or accepting fate, but moreso about how we deal with loss and regret. Do we learn to let go and accept loss, even though life is unfair, or do we seek retribution upon those who wronged us? Chloe is the storm personified -- she is the divine storm that descends upon the town to claim vengeance upon the wicked. Note how Max gets her second vision of the tornado after Chloe says how she'd like to drop a bomb on Arcadia Bay. The tornado exists because it represents the cleansing storm that Chloe promises upon those who ruined her life. The end choice is very OT vs. NT. You're either the god of Lot or the god of Jesus.

Indrazar
Sep 19, 2011

Meiteron posted:

If there was no tornado at the start and the game ended after the Jefferson showdown then they wouldn't have erased the player's choices at the end. It would have felt a lot less ridiculous and forced. If we don't assume that they put the tornado in as a mistake (hey it looked flashy in the trailer) that means they were specifically trying to say "trying to make things better only makes them worse". Which is a pretty lovely message for this game to have.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Paladinus posted:

Why is Victoria dead for sure? Jefferson was arrested pretty much immediately after the party, ostensibly while focused on finding Max.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013

Meiteron posted:

I was really expecting, err... hoping that the Vortex was part of some deeper plot involving someone else with powers considering a lot of foreshadowing that implied something even more terrible and mysterious was happening in Arcadia Bay, and ultimately lead to a Dark City'esque final confrontation. Of course, that didn't happen, and instead it was just some hipster douchebag that likes taking pictures of drugged girls and doesn't even have the decency to be a legitimate serial killer.

So no I don't think it would be better without the Vortex just that what they did with it sucked.

Reclaimer posted:

Why is Victoria dead for sure? Jefferson was arrested pretty much immediately after the party, ostensibly while focused on finding Max.
Jefferson doesn't even kill the girls, it was Nathan who accidentally killed Rachel because hes a gently caress up. Chloe and Max found him out so that was different.

TheMopeSquad fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Oct 25, 2015

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Choose to be with your girlfriend: destroy civilization Arcadia Bay. The only choice a woman is allowed to make is to chose passivity.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I think there was something in the final photos that led me to believe Victoria dies. Now I'm not sure.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
Spider-Man chose Mary Jane over a car full of kids, Neo sacrificed humanity's continued existence to save Trinity (who loving died anyway), Hellboy risked the damnation of every soul on earth to save Liz, and Rory flat out states that Amy's life is more important than every life in the whole universe.

Granted none of these are what anyone would consider to be pillars of cinematic literature, but the reasons they are not liked are largely unrelated to these choices being made by the heroes.

Max can flatten one stupid town to save Chloe.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Paladinus posted:

At the very least Warren is now my boyfriend, so you all can go gently caress yourselfies.

Max ending up with Mr Jefferson would be better than that

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

TheMopeSquad posted:

Jefferson doesn't even kill the girls, it was Nathan who accidentally killed Rachel because hes a gently caress up. Chloe and Max found him out so that was different.

Actually, if you're nice to Victoria and she believes your warning about Nathan, Jefferson kidnaps and drugs her so she's in the Dark Room as well, he kills her while your passed out, you can find her bracelet next to Chloe's necklace on his desk. But yeah, she wouldn't end up in the Dark Room in the final timeline, so she likely wouldn't have died, not by Jefferson's hand anyway.

Plom Bar posted:

Max can flatten one stupid town to save Chloe.

Word.

Also I made a thing, ending spoilers and all:
"You met me at a very strange time in my life."
:v:

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Wasn't Blackwell like way up a mountain, out of the brunt of the main tornado? Everyone there is probably fine.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

Larry Parrish posted:

It's not a GOTY or even the best game I've played recently, but it's definitely the best indie game. I enjoyed the story, the art, and the rewind mechanic, but to be honest it's not very meaty. However I have played 17 hours of it so far for $20 (i think i actually bought it on like 20% off too) so that's at least par the course in terms of value. Basically I don't know whats with this forum and building up games to be this insane 80 hour epic in their head and then they are enraged that it didn't live up to their impossible standards after the fact.

I think it's very clearly the most important game of the year in this genre at least (which happens to be my favorite right now). Even if I didn't love the game, I would be thrilled that an entry by someone other than Telltale has made such an impact. Telltale didn't really come into their own until The Walking Dead S1, which had the good fortune of being their strongest game to date on the back of a very hot licensed IP.

Dontnod did with original IP but with SQUAREENIX. If anything I'm kind of sad that this isn't an overall direction for their company. I hope this is another step towards building the genre to the point where we can get some solid titles delivering on a monthly basis. Instead I end up waiting until the whole thing is out to buy it, because I can't play these things an episode at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013

wyoming posted:

Actually, if you're nice to Victoria and she believes your warning about Nathan, Jefferson kidnaps and drugs her so she's in the Dark Room as well, he kills her while your passed out, you can find her bracelet next to Chloe's necklace on his desk. But yeah, she wouldn't end up in the Dark Room in the final timeline, so she likely wouldn't have died, not by Jefferson's hand anyway.

I see, though that never happened in my game. Jefferson actually remarks about how sad he was he never got a shot at Victoria. I would still argue that in that outcome he only kills her to further implicate Nathan as a scapegoat all in response to Max and Chloe backing him into a corner. I'm not trying to say he is not a killer because obviously he is capable of it but his interest in stealing girls is just to take pictures of them not to kill them.

• Locked thread