Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODvCNgwwcO0

Thanks Youtube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yo I love this LP>

Here's a free game for some other jordankai fan.

0YQR8-4YGY3-57T35 Strider

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
At least the game won't screw you over with chaos control. I don't remember what it does in the maze levels, nothing useful I'm assuming.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Dabir posted:

Thanks Youtube.

What. I thought this would be a joke or something. What did you do to my youtube recommendations you son of a bitch?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I imagine It's Do Or Die, Charlie Brown as No More Heroes, but with Charlie Brown instead of Travis.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I love the ULTIMATE HEDGEHOG ending for a variety of reasons, among them being- why the gently caress is Diablon here? He doesn't say anything or do anything except be a boss. I feel like they probably intended to have a straight up Sonic boss fight but it got cut for some reason and so the commander is just here to fight. Also how Shadow ignores the final boss to beat Sonic up for no reason.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Holy poo poo yes Lost Impact is absolutely the worst level in the game and one of the lowest points of a series that has been plagued by low points. There are so many horrible things compounded upon each other. The level is huge and filled with copy-pasted corridors, and you have to find 35 of those loving chaos fuckers who of course have long health bars just to add insult to injury, and there are those slow as poo poo elevators everywhere, and the even slower rail shooter sections that don't even try to be engaging. They don't even really give you something to shoot at, it's just waiting. There's nothing remotely resembling compelling gameplay in this entire shitfest of a level. And if you miss one of those giant blue assholes in this labyrinth of completely identical corridors linked by identical elevators and identical rail-shooters then you are hosed. Good luck finding out which part of the level you didn't visit. My first time playing this stage took me over 40 minutes. 40 loving minutes in a series about going fast! And guess what? They made this the second to last level of the route, so if you don't play your cards right (which has a good chance of happening if you're playing this for the first time without clairvoyance) you have to do the artificial chaos fetch quest in order to get the ending you're aiming for. gently caress this stage, gently caress everyone involved in its existence, and gently caress everyone who defends this game as "not being that bad, Sonic 06 is way worse". No. Shut up. gently caress you. I'd rather play as Silver the Hedgehog 100 times than be subjected to this abomination even once. At least I'd have some bad physics to laugh at. Sega could've just replaced this level with a giant middle finger and it would been kind in comparison. I hate it, it's terrible.

I'm loving angry about hedgehogs! :argh:

EDIT: By the way, did you know that you can speed up the turret sections? 'Cuz I didn't! :shepicide:

Augus fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Oct 21, 2015

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy
I've always felt like the Phantasy Star Online dev team got handed this title or something. The level designs go on way too long, are strange and maze-like (Lost Impact's corridor maze flat out feels like the Caves/Mine areas from PSO) and the art direction absolutely feels like PSO with the weird bio-organic-magical-shiny weapons and enemies.

More than anything though it never ceases to amaze me just how bad the game looks. Everything is ugly and cluttered, low textured, and the framerate feels all over the place. Sonic Heroes was a step down compared to SA2, but this feels like a Dreamcast beta at times.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

alcharagia posted:

I love the ULTIMATE HEDGEHOG ending for a variety of reasons, among them being- why the gently caress is Diablon here? He doesn't say anything or do anything except be a boss. I feel like they probably intended to have a straight up Sonic boss fight but it got cut for some reason and so the commander is just here to fight. Also how Shadow ignores the final boss to beat Sonic up for no reason.

I was gonna say, it's pretty great how the ending variety is just Shadow discovering another ~aspect of his deep personality~, with all of those endings being virtually identical and having poo poo-all to do with the choices you actually made throughout the game. There is absolutely no reason for the path taken in the end there to with the face-heel turn to have anything to do with Shadow's rivalry with Sonic.

It's kind of like, you had one team design the narrative progression process with the various Hero-Neutral-Evil paths in each stage and the level grid they follow, and another team write the actual narratives, and when the latter looked at the former they decided "you know what, gently caress that poo poo, let's just ignore that and do whatever and hope it works out somehow".

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I think to properly poo poo on something, you first gotta experience it a little. So I gave Shadow a spin a while ago to get a hands-on feel on how bad it really is. The answer is, of course, "a lot". I reached the final level shown in the last video and Jordan's practiced playing doesn't properly convey how awful it is. For some reason, every block you need to jump on is so high that you can juuuust get on it if you fully commit, which might be a problem depending on how the stars aling with your camera. Sucking the blocks out from the wall is a neat idea, until the execution kicks in which is "lazily point suck gun at glowing object; profit, maybe?!". Then you fall down and have to traverse the entire room again as Shadow's soap-covered feet, bizarre acceleration decisions and a drunk camera try to gently caress you again. All this is, of course, after spending five minutes trying to beat up teleporting fuckers who are, surprise, immune to the one weapon you have to use to progress.

The I reached the part where you have to homing attack on three flying enemies and from the last somehow land on a platform far below with no real guidance towards it and almost game-overed; THEN I actually game-overed because the wall-jumping mechanic is about as reliable as a 1973 Sowjet-manufactured car found in a shed somewhere.

At the end, the Chaos Emerald was inexplicably shielded and I quit in disgust.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
Maria says the Gun Lift's weapons were only meant to be used in emergencies and the whole thing was supposed to be peaceful.

It's literally called the GUN LIFT

fixelbrumpf
May 26, 2001

It's a really weird conincidence, but in Japanese, a lot of things related to the military have the syllable "gun" in them (the term "shogun" for instance.)

I don't know too much about 3D Sonic games but I like to think this explains why they decided to name the evil-ish army that shows up in a couple of them "GUN" out of all names.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Alternate explanation: "Guns are edgy and cool!"

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
Now that I think of it, "gun" literally means "army" in Japanese. Including in "shogun". So maybe it's less of a problem with Gun Lift and more with the Army Army. I guess it fits in with the generic names of everything else, like Westopolis?

edit:

anilEhilated posted:

Alternate explanation: "Guns are edgy and cool!"
Yeah, looking at the game, I'm probably overthinking it and this is the actual reason.

fixelbrumpf
May 26, 2001

Aithon posted:

Now that I think of it, "gun" literally means "army" in Japanese. Including in "shogun". So maybe it's less of a problem with Gun Lift and more with the Army Army. I guess it fits in with the generic names of everything else, like Westopolis?

I just looked it up and you're right. My Japanese is kind of rusty and I used to think the syllable was maybe a compoment needed for a couple military-related terms. To be honest, I think this makes the entire thing even more disappointing.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
So what does being the most powerful hedgehog in the world entail? Loudest stomping? No worms escape him?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

anilEhilated posted:

So what does being the most powerful hedgehog in the world entail? Loudest stomping? No worms escape him?

He gets to be King of the SaiyansHedgehogs.

Baron La Croix
Nov 2, 2010

rastah farah
sonnah maddah fah
The game would be much more tolerable if Maria Robotnik looked more like her relatives.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Baron La Croix posted:

The game would be much more tolerable if Maria Robotnik looked more like her relatives.
The lack of 'stache is a letdown.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Baron La Croix posted:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Actually you can play as Maria in this game if you have a second controller. She can't jump worth crap, can't homing attack(though it would be hilarious if she could), and her only form of attack is a weak slap attack if you press the B button but you can play as her.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

I'm glad Shadow could live the dream of being the Ultimate Hedgehog (TM). May he forever get mad at aliens and literally steal candy from babies.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

YF-23 posted:

I was gonna say, it's pretty great how the ending variety is just Shadow discovering another ~aspect of his deep personality~, with all of those endings being virtually identical and having poo poo-all to do with the choices you actually made throughout the game. There is absolutely no reason for the path taken in the end there to with the face-heel turn to have anything to do with Shadow's rivalry with Sonic.

It's kind of like, you had one team design the narrative progression process with the various Hero-Neutral-Evil paths in each stage and the level grid they follow, and another team write the actual narratives, and when the latter looked at the former they decided "you know what, gently caress that poo poo, let's just ignore that and do whatever and hope it works out somehow".

The best part is that there is a level that sort of reasonably leads to this ending, and it's not the one that leads directly here.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Turtlicious posted:

Yo I love this LP>

Here's a free game for some other jordankai fan.

0YQR8-4YGY3-57T35 Strider

The new Strider is really good and I hope whoever took this code is enjoying it. :D

TheFattestPat posted:

At least the game won't screw you over with chaos control. I don't remember what it does in the maze levels, nothing useful I'm assuming.

I think chaos control always takes you closer to giant ring at the end of the level, but don't quote me on that.

Larryb posted:

Actually you can play as Maria in this game if you have a second controller. She can't jump worth crap, can't homing attack(though it would be hilarious if she could), and her only form of attack is a weak slap attack if you press the B button but you can play as her.

I can't believe Charmy is less useful in a fight then a terminally ill child.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
I've always been surprised and disappointed that Shadow triumphantly declaring "I AM THE ULTIMATE HEDGEHOG" never got as much attention as some of the other lines in this game. That line killed me the first time I heard it.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Honestly, Lost Impact could be worse, a thousand times. You could've done what I did and got both A ranks and all the keys. :shepicide:

Though even at its worst I'd still probably take Shadow the Hedgehog over Sonic 06, after playing both. At least I had fun once or twice in shadow's multiplayer mode.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

My favorite part of the level is hearing Maria exclaim how the Artificial Chaos are out of control, and all they're doing is sitting there, not even attacking the soldiers. :downs:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Chieves posted:

My favorite part of the level is hearing Maria exclaim how the Artificial Chaos are out of control, and all they're doing is sitting there, not even attacking the soldiers. :downs:

Are the soldiers even doing anything? they all seem to be cowering in fear

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010

JordanKai posted:

I can't believe Charmy is less useful in a fight then a terminally ill child.

I've played the Chaotix stages in Sonic Heroes and... yeah I can believe it.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
So is every ending just Shadow standing there and saying "I am (adjective) (noun) ! This is who I am!" Because, while the line's delivery is kind of funny, each ending seems amazingly lame and not at all worth the effort of entirely replaying the game just to see.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Xenoveritas posted:

So is every ending just Shadow standing there and saying "I am (adjective) (noun) ! This is who I am!" Because, while the line's delivery is kind of funny, each ending seems amazingly lame and not at all worth the effort of entirely replaying the game just to see.
Yes, of course! You got it right in one - what else were you expecting?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Xenoveritas posted:

That's exactly right and he even says "THIS IS WHO I AM!" even when the rest of the speech doesn't at all flow into that line.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Shadow probably proclaims "THIS IS WHO I AM" every time he realises or remembers something.

- Oh, Christ, I left the iron on. THIS IS WHO I AM!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Tyty posted:

Honestly, Lost Impact could be worse, a thousand times. You could've done what I did and got both A ranks and all the keys. :shepicide:

Though even at its worst I'd still probably take Shadow the Hedgehog over Sonic 06, after playing both. At least I had fun once or twice in shadow's multiplayer mode.

Wait wait wait. Shadow has a multiplayer mode? I demand to know more

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I've played it, it's poo poo.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Some extra backstory in a Japanese SA2 guide says that the disease Maria has is NIDS, or Neuro Immunodeficiency Syndrome.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dabir posted:

I've played it, it's poo poo.

Well yeah I figured that, but like, is it fighting? Racing? Are both players Shadow? Or do you get to wield guns as Knuckles?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

One person's Shadow, the others are Shadow Androids (just Shadow with different colour stripes) and you fight each other and it's bad. There's a bit of pre-round 'I'M THE REAL SHADOW' 'NO ME' before every fight

Maybe I just remember it being bad cause it was basically my first exposure to analogue sticks.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

But Shadow is also an Android :psyduck: (or not? I can't make heads or tails of this braindead story)

I'm sure analog sticks have nothing to do with any problems with the game. It just controls terribly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Simply Simon posted:

But Shadow is also an Android :psyduck: (or not? I can't make heads or tails of this braindead story)

Nope, he's not.

I dunno if this is spoilers but this game is stupid so ???

• Locked thread