Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

This is terrible news and I hate everything

You'd probably feel worse if you broke someone's leg :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnus Manfist
Mar 10, 2013
IMO you shouldn't be this worried about weight cutting at this level? My first white belt comp was pretty recently and I just showed up at walking around weight. I was at the lower end of the category and fought dudes a little heavier than me but who gives a poo poo, it's a white belt comp, it's not like you need to be worrying about your record or anything. Way better than doing a massive cut that affects your work and your enjoyment of the sport if you ask me, though admittedly I've got a pretty relaxed approach to this stuff

Edit: tbh I think weight cutting culture in martial arts is pretty lovely in general. Like obviously pros are going to be working to get any advantage they can but at the low amateur level weight classes should just ensure you're fighting someone about the same size as you

Magnus Manfist fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Oct 24, 2015

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Magnus Manfist posted:

IMO you shouldn't be this worried about weight cutting at this level? My first white belt comp was pretty recently and I just showed up at walking around weight. I was at the lower end of the category and fought dudes a little heavier than me but who gives a poo poo, it's a white belt comp, it's not like you need to be worrying about your record or anything. Way better than doing a massive cut that affects your work and your enjoyment of the sport if you ask me, though admittedly I've got a pretty relaxed approach to this stuff

Edit: tbh I think weight cutting culture in martial arts is pretty lovely in general. Like obviously pros are going to be working to get any advantage they can but at the low amateur level weight classes should just ensure you're fighting someone about the same size as you

I cut weight sort of just for something to do. This is a small tournament and the divisions are likely to get combined, so I lost a few pounds to get away from the guys who are 30 lb bigger than me. It was also just an interesting experiment in discipline and focus, and it allowed me to get some small insight into what professional fighters do.

I also have a BJJ tournament coming up in two more weeks for which I essentially need to cut two pounds to make my "in gi" weight. Well, needed :v:

mewse posted:

Good luck on your matches, hope you aren't pooping indian food all day

Thanks. Woke up with some gas last night but I'm good now besides occasional chick pea farts. They're my secret weapon!

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

CommonShore posted:

I cut weight sort of just for something to do. This is a small tournament and the divisions are likely to get combined, so I lost a few pounds to get away from the guys who are 30 lb bigger than me.

I went through a few months of cutting to barely get into the weight class below me so I wouldn't have to wrestle guys who look like Terry Crews. My division got combined and I ended up wrestling the guys I would have wrestled had I not cut the weight anyway. That's my weight cutting story v:shobon:v

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Oct 24, 2015

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

CommonShore posted:

Made weight fwiw - 65.3 kg. I didn't have to hit the bathtub. When I got home from work I was 145.8 (so 66.2 ish, on a different scale), so I just put on some layers and got my heart rate up and stayed warm for 90 mins or so before they were ready to weigh me.

I'm registered to compete in two brackets at the tournament tomorrow (senior and old farts err masters)! It has been nearly (maybe even exactly) 20 years since I've competed in Judo or any martial art, so wish me luck!

e. and I murdered an entire Indian "dinner for two" not long after I rehydrated.

ee. 150.2 just now on my home scale.

Congrats! Weight cutting sounds like hell.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

KildarX posted:

I went through a few months of cutting to barely get into the weight class below me so I wouldn't have to wrestle guys who look like Terry Crews. My division got combined and I ended up wrestling the guys I would have wrestled had I not cut the weight anyway. That's my weight cutting story v:shobon:v

If its taking a few months i hope youre talking about just losing weight and getting less fat not "cutting weight"

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

manyak posted:

If its taking a few months i hope youre talking about just losing weight and getting less fat not "cutting weight"

That plus a week of water weight management. [Sodium/Water consumption ETC]

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Mechafunkzilla posted:

You'd probably feel worse if you broke someone's leg :shrug:

That and if someone does a sloppy scissor takedown on me then there is going to be some serious knee on face action in their near future (unless I'm crippled)

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

Neeber posted:

In light of Canada's recent election, can a kind goon please critique Justin Trudeau's boxing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYlWiZMhaLE

He's punching a woman beater so everything he does is great, irrespective of his questionable form.

Patrick Brazeau is loving scum.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I got bronze! :v: I did a cool thing and i will post a gif of the entire bout when I get the file!

I also got dqed in my second bout

:v:

(Grabbed a leg with an incorrect understanding of judo's definition of "grounded" - one knee is "standing", it seems)

Keg posted:

Congrats! Weight cutting sounds like hell.

Thanks! It wasn't fun. It gives me sympathy for the pro mma fighters. I can't imagine why anyone would want to cut 10+ lb

mewse
May 2, 2006

Judging amateur boxing for the first time tonight :toot:

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Here's a documentary someone made about HEMA if you're into that sorta thing

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mmTi-NGQNh8

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Here's my 5 second ippon that basically got me bronze in my division:

http://gfycat.com/PeriodicDefiniteGuineapig

Sorry for the gigantic aspect ratio. I had no idea it would look like that and I can't edit it now becuase I didn't make a gfycat account.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

CommonShore posted:

Sorry for the gigantic aspect ratio. I had no idea it would look like that and I can't edit it now becuase I didn't make a gfycat account.

Nice one

A Wry Smile
Jul 19, 2014

Well, at least now it's over.

CommonShore posted:

Grats on the bronze! I give you a wazari for the counter, tbh. Overly generous reffing will be the downfall of Judo. Also you're trying to hold your opponent down the whole time, it's actually slowing you down. Anyway, welcome to the wonderful world of competition, hope you'll pull in many more medals and provide many more humongous gifs.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

A Wry Smile posted:

Grats on the bronze! I give you a wazari for the counter, tbh. Overly generous reffing will be the downfall of Judo. Also you're trying to hold your opponent down the whole time, it's actually slowing you down. Anyway, welcome to the wonderful world of competition, hope you'll pull in many more medals and provide many more humongous gifs.

Thanks! I was surprised that he gave me the Ippon, too, because the landing wasn't totally flat. But, that's an Olympic-qualified ref (and he's the one who DQed me and gave the retroactive wazari to my opponent in my later matches, so I wouldn't say he was being overly generous to me). Ony of my friends said that it was probably the force of the drop which earned me the point (it was a pretty good "thump"). The judges must have agreed, because all day we were seeing the judge tables override the refs (Ippon! .... *wave wave* wazari. Hajime!)

Also - it wasn't my entry to competition; it was my return after 20 years of absence.

A Wry Smile
Jul 19, 2014

Ooh sorry, welcome back then!

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

A Wry Smile posted:

Also you're trying to hold your opponent down the whole time, it's actually slowing you down.

Can you explain this for us new to judo guys?

A Wry Smile
Jul 19, 2014

He's pulling straight down through his grips, which is why you see him pitch forward on the leg attack, and why he looks like he's straining with the counter. No throw without lift, ultimately. The fix is to remember that good grip tension is primarily maintained horizontally (as opposed to vertically).
Kosoto vid for reference
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PPomHBUv-M

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

A Wry Smile posted:

The fix is to remember that good grip tension is primarily maintained horizontally (as opposed to vertically).

So I should be pulling left or right instead of straight down, to exaggerate the other guy's steps?

A Wry Smile
Jul 19, 2014

Almost, but it's a little more complicated:
Horizontal tension requires two opposing forces. So maybe you grip and pull them apart (like tug'o'war), or maybe you push them together (like tying your shoes), but either way generates tension. You might even pull just to one side while the opponent resists and pulls the other way. But that's riskier because if they suddenly stop resisting, you may lose your tension. And you really want to maintain the horizontal tension all the way through to the end.

So, once you've collected the horizontal tension, there's nothing wrong with pulling up or down as well. But you don't want to just pull it down and hold it there while you try to attack a rooted opponent. Instead, that's where you want to notice the natural rise and fall of their weight (especially as they step) and exaggerate those movements to find attack opportunities. So now the tension behaves more like when you play jump rope, or pluck a guitar string.

Back to CommonShore's example, his downward pull held them in place, but then he didn't lift as they prepared to step, so they successfully evaded his attack. He could still have let them step and then dashed across into a big forward throw as they replanted, but again that requires lift. So it came out to a couple missed opportunities, no big deal but still worth mentioning. Hope this clarifies a bit, it's tough to explain without visual aids.

A Wry Smile fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Oct 27, 2015

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Is there an update on the Rothwell goon?

and

cute cosplaying bjj tumblr girl that's a ticking timebomb?

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I think it'd be really awesome to do judo or bjj alongside karate, but I'm only a yellow belt in karate right now. Would trying to learn both at the same time be too ineffective? I figure I could just as easily do karate and yoga/pilates, and save judo or bjj for when I have a more solid foundation in the martial art I'm already taking. In a few months I'll have access to my university's sports clubs, so I want to make sure I get the most out of free martial arts while I can.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Cephas posted:

I think it'd be really awesome to do judo or bjj alongside karate, but I'm only a yellow belt in karate right now. Would trying to learn both at the same time be too ineffective? I figure I could just as easily do karate and yoga/pilates, and save judo or bjj for when I have a more solid foundation in the martial art I'm already taking. In a few months I'll have access to my university's sports clubs, so I want to make sure I get the most out of free martial arts while I can.

Nothing wrong in learning both at the same time, go do it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

A Wry Smile posted:

Almost, but it's a little more complicated:
Horizontal tension requires two opposing forces. So maybe you grip and pull them apart (like tug'o'war), or maybe you push them together (like tying your shoes), but either way generates tension. You might even pull just to one side while the opponent resists and pulls the other way. But that's riskier because if they suddenly stop resisting, you may lose your tension. And you really want to maintain the horizontal tension all the way through to the end.

So, once you've collected the horizontal tension, there's nothing wrong with pulling up or down as well. But you don't want to just pull it down and hold it there while you try to attack a rooted opponent. Instead, that's where you want to notice the natural rise and fall of their weight (especially as they step) and exaggerate those movements to find attack opportunities. So now the tension behaves more like when you play jump rope, or pluck a guitar string.

Back to CommonShore's example, his downward pull held them in place, but then he didn't lift as they prepared to step, so they successfully evaded his attack. He could still have let them step and then dashed across into a big forward throw as they replanted, but again that requires lift. So it came out to a couple missed opportunities, no big deal but still worth mentioning. Hope this clarifies a bit, it's tough to explain without visual aids.

Thanks for the feedback. I took what you said to the mats last night, discussed it with a blue belt, and it shed a bit of light on an explanation I'd been previously given but which didn't quite make sense to me. The two explanations together gave me a better understanding of something I had been shown.

Now going forward I'm going to be focusing on kata and uchikomi for a while. More technical workouts that are easier on the body seem nicer suddenly. After my BJJ tournament weekend after next, I probably won't compete in anything for a while.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Cephas posted:

Most traditional MA's frown on picking up other arts until you are proficient in your current MA. The definition of proficient will vary, so check with your teacher?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Most traditional MA's frown on picking up other arts until you are proficient in your current MA. The definition of proficient will vary, so check with your teacher?

I'd think that's because they're worried you'll have more fun at the other place and/or (in extreme examples) come to realize that you don't have magical chi powers after all. I know that if I was running a bullshit dojo I'd do everything I could to keep my students away from wrestling/judo/bjj/boxing.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Some of that some legitimate worry that you will learn both things poorly because you don't have the fundamental understandings of body mechanics to switch contexts. Or that you will burn out on a double load. Or become frustrated because you're going to advance more slowly than your peers who focus 100% and train as much as you do.

A Wry Smile
Jul 19, 2014

Those are valid concerns... for the participant to take into account as they decide how to get the most out of their time. TMA teachers are a dime a dozen and you better believe they're desperate for business. Your doctor doesn't get to tell you not to seek a second opinion, your grocery store doesn't get to admonish you for buying milk from the store down the street, and your sensei doesn't get to demand you train exclusively with them.

E: I've encountered it in Judo/BJJ too, absolutely unethical. Especially because of the power dynamic involved- you sign away your legal protections and then step onto the mat and put your health in someone else's hands, better be sure they're holding to the highest possible standards, both personally and professionally.

CommonShore posted:

Thanks for the feedback.

Cool to hear that you're seeing some things click! Hope you'll share if you get any neat insights from the kata studies

A Wry Smile fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Oct 27, 2015

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

What Xguard said. Not to mention that in TMA's the teacher/student relationship is quite different, partly as it's (usually) non-profit and will often, for better or worse (depending on implementation), follow a version of the Japanese style sensei/sempai/kohai relationship.
Part of that, is that at least initially, you follow your teachers teachings. Then at a later stage, your skills and understanding improves, you can look at getting training elsewhere/cross train, etc.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Not to mention that in TMA's the teacher/student relationship is quite different, partly as it's (usually) non-profit

I'd take pains to be clearer, given the audience of this thread.

In real TMAs in their original historical setting, yes,that is true.
In McDojos that claim to teach arts like karate, kenpo, Okinawan karate, various CMAs, no, the teachers are part of the moneymaking scheme.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Not to mention that in TMA's the teacher/student relationship is quite different, partly as it's (usually) non-profit and will often, for better or worse (depending on implementation), follow a version of the Japanese style sensei/sempai/kohai relationship.

It doesn't matter if a gym is non profit, as long as they charge membership fees. When I pay for membership and join a martial arts gym, regardles of what kind, I pay for a service and the gym staff should treat me as a customer, not a loving school child. Now of course, apart from payment, I have an obligation to follow basic safety instructions and be respectful to my fellow students and my trainers. But that obligation ends at the gym door. They have no say whatsoever in what I do on the rest of my free time.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

DekeThornton posted:

When I pay for membership and join a martial arts gym, regardless of what kind, I pay for a service and the gym staff should treat me as a customer, not a loving school child.

I love when folks in the bjj world call me a creonte. It's like... sorry, dude was a poo poo instructor. As a paying customer, I decided to give my money to the other guy who was actually going to teach me what I wanted to know.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

DekeThornton posted:

It doesn't matter if a gym is non profit, as long as they charge membership fees. When I pay for membership and join a martial arts gym, regardles of what kind, I pay for a service and the gym staff should treat me as a customer

When you join a traditional MA, you are a student, not a customer. You are of course, free to leave at any time and the teacher is free to kick you out at any time.
There's a world of difference between a martials arts 'gym' and a dojo.
I don't know anyone (outside of Japan) that is making money teaching TMA's.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

2DCAT posted:

I love when folks in the bjj world call me a creonte. It's like... sorry, dude was a poo poo instructor. As a paying customer, I decided to give my money to the other guy who was actually going to teach me what I wanted to know.

Did folks actually call you a creonte? How long ago was that?

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

2DCAT posted:

I get that gyms who develop pro-fighters or prospective olympians can get protective when it comes to prospective competitors they invest time and resources into developing. But as a normal hobbyist I'm their bread and butter and if my gym would have treated me as some traitor for cross training at some other gym then I'd just tell them to stuff it. If it would hamper my development by not focusing on a single discipline then that is my problem and my decision.

Thankfully I train, (or at least trained before I messed up my back) at a gym that is very open to studenta training whatever they want and encourage their more serious fighters to cross train and spar at other gyms to get more experience.

When you join a traditional MA, you are a student, not a customer.

If I'm paying I'm a customer, period. It doesn't matter if the gym makes a profit or not. I am a student when I'm training and should of course follow instructions and respect my teacher and his/her instructions while in class and in their gym. What I do outside of the gym is none of their business.

DekeThornton fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Oct 27, 2015

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

origami posted:

Did folks actually call you a creonte? How long ago was that?

About 3-4 years ago now? The DC BJJ scene is kind of comical in its cliquishness. It was mainly unnamed folks on the old NHBGear forums who'd never say it to my face, but loved to try and discredit my comp wins and stuff by saying I was a creonte and only one because of where I used to train.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

When you join a traditional MA, you are a student, not a customer. You are of course, free to leave at any time and the teacher is free to kick you out at any time.
There's a world of difference between a martials arts 'gym' and a dojo.
I don't know anyone (outside of Japan) that is making money teaching TMA's.

Lol.

I told my karate sensei I was doing MMA stuff. He told me not to get hurt before the tournament. We'd also gladly take people on from different styles. If they were good enough we'd rank them up accounting for their other training. Had a black belt TKD guy who came in as a white belt but rocketed up, mostly because it wasn't fair sending him into beginner divisions to spar. On the other had we had some 'Shaolin Kenpo' black belts who were just atrocious.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
got a nice armbar on another whitebelt with 70 pounds on me today. he told me he felt like he had no chance of passing my closed guard. feels so good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

DekeThornton posted:

If I'm payingI'm a customer, period

LOL, no.

the JJ posted:

Lol.

I told my karate sensei I was doing MMA stuff. He told me not to get hurt before the tournament. We'd also gladly take people on from different styles. If they were good enough we'd rank them up accounting for their other training. Had a black belt TKD guy who came in as a white belt but rocketed up, mostly because it wasn't fair sending him into beginner divisions to spar. On the other had we had some 'Shaolin Kenpo' black belts who were just atrocious.

Yeah, your teacher may vary...but it's only polite to ask him before you start cross-training.

• Locked thread