Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

meatpimp posted:

My general thoughts and experiences with GM is that they build excellent motors, decent drivetrains, and rubbish for interior and fit/finish.

You haven't been in a recent one then probably. Much better than that era for sure. If you're flipping now, what's the market like for those cars and how much dough are you expecting? Seems like margins may be pretty thin.

And you're in Ohio, not the UK. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.
I was hoping for NEONZ myself, a remote start is kind just "feh"

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Has anyone told meatpimp to flip the car yet?
Not just for the wiring, but early on he said it was a 3.6L v6 engine.

I've got one in RWD format, (well my partners car is a commodore), and there's two issues to be wary of. 1. These engines are sludge magnets, if it hasn't been filled with fully synthetic oil every oil change, it's only a matter of when that motor will be hosed. 2. Timing chains. the early models had a 9mm chain, gm changed to a 7mm chain either for cost savings, drivetrain noise or to try get some mileage. The 7mm one will stretch all too easily and be a big repair.

The engines are OK besides that. My partners car has 250k on it now, had a misfire but new plugs seems to have fixed that.
We bought it with 200k only because it had a good service history showing fully synthetic oil was used, it was a highway cruiser driving from the country to the city every day, so most of the driving was "warm kms" as you say. It was also the first gen which had the 9mm timing chains.

E: you should be OK with the chains, yours is an 04, ours is an 05, I think 06 onwards to an unknown year was the bad chains. But obviously that car wasn't looked after and I'd be worried about sludge in the motor.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Oct 21, 2015

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Fo3 posted:

Has anyone told meatpimp to flip the car yet?

Flip it, burn it, grind it into dust and snort it, shove it so far up my rear end that it comes out of my mouth... yeah, people have told me to do all kinds of things with it.

It's a flipper there were some BCM problems with it that went away with a hard reset, but the rate of power steering fluid loss and the placement of the power steering fluid, combined with the fact that the transmission seems to be making GBS threads because of the VSS sensor (that is right underneath the power steering system), has made me get it ready to sell. Not a hard repair, but to do it right and maintain sanity, you'd have to drop the cradle and I'm not into that.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
What were you thinking of asking for it? I have been watching close, I need an AWD or 4x4 winter beater for my wife. I am too far away from you but curious anyways.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

rdb posted:

What were you thinking of asking for it? I have been watching close, I need an AWD or 4x4 winter beater for my wife. I am too far away from you but curious anyways.

In very good or excellent, the thing books at 5.5k-6. To fix what I see wrong with it (big power steering leak, VSS code on the transmission), I think it would need at least a partial cradle drop, since the VSS is on the top side of the transmission. With that, I'll probably ask somewhere in the $4k range. It'll be a good car for someone with those things fixed.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

meatpimp posted:

Sorry for the double post, but can't attach to a post already in the system.

Just found this pic from meatpimp, circa 1995. I was AI before some of y'all could watch Ren and Stimpy. :colbert:

(Note: ridiculous cars are not a new thing for me.)

Someone in AI actually had a BiTurbo?How the gently caress did you keep it running?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

meatpimp posted:

Are you trying to sidestep the issue by indicting me? Yeah, I care about bullshit allegations and the "you have to do 'x' to be AI" mentality that some of you project. So, that covers me, how about you?
You're the one that is always opining about whether something Is, or Is Not, AI, so I'll let you be the judge of that. On that note, enough tweaking from me, back to wrenching talk.

Welcome to the crapcan you always have to wrench on (until you rid yourself of the stupid piece of poo poo and make it someone else's problem*) crew :getin:

* I'm really bad at this part, myself.

meatpimp posted:

My general thoughts and experiences with GM is that they build excellent motors, decent drivetrains, and rubbish for interior and fit/finish.

Agreed, aside from the silly car style front drivetrain on AWD/4x4 ones. GM makes:
awesome V8s
decent other engines, great ones now (let's all forget about the 2.2 OHV, 3100/3300/3400/whatever other LIM eaters, 350 diesel, V8-6-4, HT4100, et al)
bad rear end RWD/4x4 automatics
bad rear end RWD/4x4 manuals
and decent 1 ton truck rearends.

I'll suspend judgement on 10 and 12 bolt rearends since some people apparently like them.

I keep wanting to put an atlas 4.2L I6 in something, too, no reason why.

I bet you could get away with popping just a few of the subframe bushing bolts loose and prying it down to get at that stupid loving sensor and PS lines, but I've not worked on one before. Or cut a hole in the floor pan in the right spot, then roofing tar and sheetmetal screw it back in after, since you're planning on flipping the thing now :v: (yes, this is a horrible thing worthy of a "loving PO..." comment from the next poor bastard to work on the car.)

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

kastein posted:

You're the one that is always opining about whether something Is, or Is Not, AI, so I'll let you be the judge of that.
As I am the official arbiter of such things, I accept that.

quote:

On that note, enough tweaking from me, back to wrenching talk.

Welcome to the crapcan you always have to wrench on (until you rid yourself of the stupid piece of poo poo and make it someone else's problem*) crew :getin:

* I'm really bad at this part, myself.

I'm having that trouble, too. I find myself thinking "The battery light comes on as the car is starting/key-in, I wonder whether replacing the battery will make the BCM strangeness go away" ... and then I'm battery shopping to chase further down this rabbit hole.

quote:

I bet you could get away with popping just a few of the subframe bushing bolts loose and prying it down to get at that stupid loving sensor and PS lines, but I've not worked on one before. Or cut a hole in the floor pan in the right spot, then roofing tar and sheetmetal screw it back in after, since you're planning on flipping the thing now :v: (yes, this is a horrible thing worthy of a "loving PO..." comment from the next poor bastard to work on the car.)

And then I find myself thinking "If I remove the motor mounts and crank the motor forward (the procedure for plug change), would that give me enough space to work on the PS stuff and transmission sensor?" ... see previous rabbit hole comment.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I walked past one of these parked on my street today, and I can safely say: You somehow posted in the OP the most flattering angle of this car that has ever existed. :golfclap:

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Your car is ugly and you are dumb for even touching it look how awful your dumb ugly goatse car is etc etc etc

I'm actually pretty interested in this thread. I love nasty oldish cars, especially the big dumb ugly ones. It looks like this will be a great kid-hauler or grocery getter once you de-grime the fucker and work out all those fun little issues.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Everyone hates on the 2.2, but that little fucker held up to me beating relentlessly for 150k miles as a 15/16 year old, and the only issue it ever had was the flex pipe off the manifold exploded.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

N is for Nipples posted:

Your car is ugly and you are dumb for even touching it look how awful your dumb ugly goatse car is etc etc etc

Yep, it's an ugly goatse car, but drat if it's not starting to grow on me. I look at a shitload of little problems I've seen... and I start thinking about fixing them. Well, we'll see later today. I'm going to replace the battery and if that clears the BCM problems, I'll think about it. If it doesn't clear the BCM problems, it's definitely gone.

Edit: Nevermind. The battery is a holy gently caress to replace and there was no difference with the BCM after I replaced it. Resets fine, dies within a mile of starting to drive it. Definite craigslist sale, I'll find another project that isn't quite as much of a dirty gently caress.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Oct 23, 2015

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
meatpimp come teach me your detailing wizardry please

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Not going to try to replace the BCM? It seems cheap enough used. Paint and headlights look fantastic.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Fantastic detailing job indeed.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
My dad had a pristine Hummer H2 he had to dump after 60k miles (over many years) because BCM issues that could never be resolved. poo poo like it wouldn't start because it thought the security was activated. It was a garaged creampuff too probably never even been in the rain. Luckily a dealer snatched it from him for a relatively high price because they "needed one" for a customer.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

rdb posted:

Not going to try to replace the BCM? It seems cheap enough used. Paint and headlights look fantastic.

It is pretty cheap used, but IIRC you need a Tech2 tool to pair it to the vehicle. Which means a trip to the dealer, unless you happen to track down a Tech2 and software for less than $assrape with a broom$

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
That's something I also learnt about the gm 3.6l v6 cars.
tech2 tech2 tech2 tech2...
Every time you need something reset, you need to get hold of one (most people with them charge $70 just to plug one in)

E: I think my local auto leccy has something different though, but still charges the same.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Oct 24, 2015

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

some texas redneck posted:

It is pretty cheap used, but IIRC you need a Tech2 tool to pair it to the vehicle. Which means a trip to the dealer, unless you happen to track down a Tech2 and software for less than $assrape with a broom$

I think it's just over a one hour job to "update software". Shouldn't be bad.

I have read but can't confirm that it may not be necessary if you get a BCM that matches the part number and options of the vehicle it's going in. The key trick should defeat the security feature.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Why hasn't the car nerd open source community come up with some kind of alternative? Is it as simple as the code is proprietary and nobody has cracked it, or is it that there's some kind of auth/keycode verification between the modules and the scanner that won't give access to anything other than OEM? I'm not trying to be lovely, I just don't get it. Everybody hates that you have to either spend thousands on an OEM scanner or pay shop rate for an hour every time you need something done like that.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Every time some enterprising nerd starts working on cracking it, they realize they can:
1. Give it away free and get bitched at when it doesn't work, bitched at when an idiot misuses it and bricks their crapcan, bitched at when it doesn't have all of the features of the OEM one...
Or
2. Make megabucks selling the fruits of their labor to the masses.

This is why tunes still cost money, except for the ones that have been around long enough that the tuner software inner workings have been figured out or leaked.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
See HPtuners or EFI Live. Or the $300 Chinese Tech2 clone. GM electronics can be extensively modified by third party stuff, if you have the cash.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

rdb posted:

< $170 shipped brand new.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

kastein posted:

Every time some enterprising nerd starts working on cracking it, they realize they can:
1. Give it away free and get bitched at when it doesn't work, bitched at when an idiot misuses it and bricks their crapcan, bitched at when it doesn't have all of the features of the OEM one...
Or
2. Make megabucks selling the fruits of their labor to the masses.

This is why tunes still cost money, except for the ones that have been around long enough that the tuner software inner workings have been figured out or leaked.

Most of the time you can get those tools and run them in a virtual machine. I remember BMW used Solaris x86 of all loving things on their early versions of DIS. Now you can run just about anything if you're willing to do enough torrenting.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I've had guys at dealerships tell me "why don't you get into this programming stuff for the cars" but I don't know how to start. Around here there is apparently one dude who is so in demand he just shows up whenever the gently caress plugs his laptop in and then ? Don't know if they are exaggerating but these are dealerships telling me this (but realize my town doesn't have bmw/Subaru/Volkswagen/rover etc... Dealerships) how do you start into this poo poo?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Fake it till you make it.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Where do you start with software or programming tools? I tried to research bmw for example since I know often you need to program a car for a new battery and just no clear answer of you need this or this software or this tool lots of stuff for sale but no clear description

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
Pretty much every brand has their own specific tool and set of software. For Volvos, it's the VIDA software and DICE tool, and even with pirated copies of that hardware there's limits to what you can do.

You can get some expensive tools that will be able to do SOME things on all brands, but the only thing you're guaranteed without a manufacturer specific tool is diagnostic codes and live sensor data.

Where you start is by dropping $1-3k per brand you want to touch on equipment and software :V

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

literally a fish posted:

Pretty much every brand has their own specific tool and set of software. For Volvos, it's the VIDA software and DICE tool, and even with pirated copies of that hardware there's limits to what you can do.

You can get some expensive tools that will be able to do SOME things on all brands, but the only thing you're guaranteed without a manufacturer specific tool is diagnostic codes and live sensor data.

Where you start is by dropping $1-3k per brand you want to touch on equipment and software :V

Cool thanks for info. I could spend the money if it is truly like they tell me it is where they are at the mercy of one guy but who knows how reality is. We have an absolute poo poo ton of cars in town that do t have a dealership within 90 miles

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

everdave posted:

Cool thanks for info. I could spend the money if it is truly like they tell me it is where they are at the mercy of one guy but who knows how reality is. We have an absolute poo poo ton of cars in town that do t have a dealership within 90 miles

I wish I had paid more attention to VAG stuff when I was playing with it in 2001-ish. I had a Jetta and an allroad and both had stuff you could do with a VAG-COM. The allroad was fun, because you could change the setpoints for the adjustable suspension.

Either way, yeah, each manufacturer has its own thing, but the comments earlier in this thread about a Chinese Tech2 made me curious. Yep, looks like a knock-off Tech2 can be delivered for under $300. In addition, a Nissan Consult 3 can be delivered for under $200.

This could be a really fun side thing.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
People who do this professionally make bank. We have some companies that comes to my shop for dealer level stuff. Ecu freaks out and the new one needs to be reprogrammed that's major bank for driving somewhere plugging in a laptop running some programs and then leaving. The worst part about the operation is the cost for getting dealer level software

Ardemia
Jan 2, 2004

IT IS MY RIGHT TO GET BEHIND THE WHEEL WHEN I'VE PUT BACK SIX SHIRLEY TEMPLES OK

:patriot:
We have a programmer guy we call at my work whenever something needs to be paired up or other reprogrammed. He's a chill dude that charges less per hour than most shops do for his labor and most of the time it involves tracing out circuits first and ensuring they are good, with the actual programming part taking minutes. There are going to be limits as to what you can do though. Saab software is about impossible to get, so you can't work on any of those past say 2003ish, I forget the exact date. As an aside to that, if you own a late model Saab good loving luck to you if one of your modules shits the bed. Volvo programming can be iffy to do sometimes, depending on the module. MB programming of key components/modules can only be done by people MB licenses to do. I think you have to a licensed locksmith to be an MB licensee too, since those modules are considered theft components. Other than that it is pretty straightforward as long as you have the right hand scan tool and laptop program. It really seems that the barrier to getting into it is the initial equipment cost, if one is familiar with computers and cars to a certain level.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I will start sniffing around will let y'all know if I pick up any type of scan tool

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

The funny part about the Volvo tool is it appears to be the company that makes it for Volvo that is gray market selling it on the side. It is marked with official Volvo logos and everything, QC tags and all, it looks identical to the shop units I've seen. I bought one for $200, it allows me to pull proprietary codes and talk to the car modules and reset lights - I reset my SRS light today in my C70, I've had a passenger airbag switch installed to keep my daughter safe, she's old enough now that it's unnecessary so I took it out.

The subscription to an official copy of the software is almost $10,000 per year. And even then you can't do all a dealership can. But you can do most stuff like main software reloading. That's stuff I can't do with my pirate copy.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Yeah, it's the software that can be a problem with manufacturers diagnostic tools.
Only time I needed a tech2 was years ago, was just after my partner bought the commodore. I removed the seats to thoroughly clean out the car, not knowing that due to seat airbags, it would trip the airbag fault.
I knew of the chinese tech2, but I would still have the problem of not having the software for the commodore, so I had to pay someone with an Australian delivered tech2 with the GM aus software to reset the airbag fault.

I've just done a very quick search, and it seems you can now buy the software for $40 (E: still not a 100% it can do BCM things like SRS faults or similar like the full dealer suite can do). Back in 2011 I couldn't find a source for the software, so a chinese tech2 was 100% useless except for being a $300 fault code reader.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Oct 26, 2015

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

LloydDobler posted:

The funny part about the Volvo tool is it appears to be the company that makes it for Volvo that is gray market selling it on the side. It is marked with official Volvo logos and everything, QC tags and all, it looks identical to the shop units I've seen. I bought one for $200, it allows me to pull proprietary codes and talk to the car modules and reset lights - I reset my SRS light today in my C70, I've had a passenger airbag switch installed to keep my daughter safe, she's old enough now that it's unnecessary so I took it out.

The subscription to an official copy of the software is almost $10,000 per year. And even then you can't do all a dealership can. But you can do most stuff like main software reloading. That's stuff I can't do with my pirate copy.

Module programming is the only thing you can't do with the pirated tool, I have the same one you have. It'll do anything that doesn't require a purchased software download, but you can still do those in the USDM with a 3-day VIDA subscription once a year to grab all the updates. Only things you can't do without being a dealer are security system related, iirc.

Rather amusingly this means on the P2 Volvos you have to have the dealer replace the rear-view mirror if the auto-dimming fails, because the rear-view mirror has the electronics and antenna for the keyless entry system in it

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Things you could have bought instead of a Buick Rendezvous;

1. Anything.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Human Grand Prix posted:

Things you could have bought instead of a Buick Rendezvous;

1. Anything.

Places you could have posted instead of here:

1. Anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I've heard these are surprisingly capable off road if you have a lack of mechanical sympathy for it.

N-thing the love/hate for detailing black cars, it's incredible what a detail can do. Good job. I've got to pick up, or build, an ozone generator, sounds like they do wonders but I've never played with one yet. Have you ever run into issues with one, I've heard something about discoloration being possible?

• Locked thread