Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Could be, but it was also partially underneath the cabinets. Seems likely that at one point the entire kitchen was carpeted, then the island that the dishwasher was in was added, then the carpet ripped out because carpet in a kitchen is a terrible idea, and that little bit was left underneath the dishwasher.

were the bathrooms carpeted too?

Carpeted kitchen? I cant think of why you would do that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

SneakyFrog posted:

It was a different time, with different values. Mistakes were made.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Oct 23, 2015

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I lived in a double wide around that was purchased new in 2000 and it had carpet in the master bathroom, never had problems with mildew that I can remember. My mother-in-laws house (10 or 20 years old) also has carpet in the kitchen, but it's extremely short carpet like what you would find in a school or office building.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003
I went to an estate sale once. There was table upon table of fabric and old patterns (McCall's, Vogue, etc) for dirt cheap. It was a sewer's dream. I was going to excitedly call my sister. She would have loved it. Would have. Only I was too distracted by the carpet in the kitchen to call her. I could not get over the fact that there was loving carpet in the goddamn kitchen. Gross.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

topenga posted:

I went to an estate sale once. There was table upon table of fabric and old patterns (McCall's, Vogue, etc) for dirt cheap. It was a sewer's dream. I was going to excitedly call my sister. She would have loved it. Would have. Only I was too distracted by the carpet in the kitchen to call her. I could not get over the fact that there was loving carpet in the goddamn kitchen. Gross.

All I Can think of is all the little drips from things. Pull an espresso shot - go to clean the portafilter - little drop of espresso every day. Or cooking bacon and the general splatter area. Or cooking anything greasy. Or that time you spill a little beer or wine. I have one of those shark steam cleaner guys and I use it every couple of weeks because little drips. I can't imagine it being stuck in loving carpet and how gross the carpet would smell.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

topenga posted:

I was too distracted by the carpet in the kitchen to call her. I could not get over the fact that there was loving carpet in the goddamn kitchen. Gross.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWoWHzq21tA

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
When I visited the UK I stayed in a country manor (for a wedding), and in the bathroom there was a) wall-to-wall carpet and b) no shower.

I hadn't had a bath since I was a child and wasn't sure how to do anything but splash around and play with a toy submarine. Also, try as I might I could not help but make some occasional splashes while washing myself.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

SneakyFrog posted:

I did look at a house last year where one of the bathrooms had carpet in it. I think someone decided the linoleum underneath was a slip-and-fall risk to the old lady living there or something

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
good luck with maintenance

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Meh, the side with the electrical bits and the service ports are still perfectly easy to get to.
Now, if he needs a new fan motor things might get interesting. And actually it looks like you might be able to get at the motor from the side anyways. But as far as preventative maintenance goes, that's not too bad.

Hardly the worst AC layout I've seen.
People never think about AC in terms of future service. Or any service. People only care about AC when it breaks.

#HVACTechproblems.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

I've seen carpets in bathrooms in some places in Switzerland and Germany. The ones I saw were in pretty good state but I would definitely not go for that...

My grandparents had this great thing in their bathroom before they remodeled. It was all cork on the walls and floor. So very 70s.

ExplodingSims posted:

Hardly the worst AC layout I've seen.

:justpost:

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush
We had carpet in bathrooms growing up (Texas). Then the city cleaned the sewer and managed to pump sewage up through every pipe in our house.

That sucked.

Then it happened again a year later.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Nothing super interesting, but just poor design, like this:

Which has about 1' of clearance from the wall there, and that's the compressor side. Good luck getting in there, and opening the doors.
And that unit was also full of wasps.

Also, you see lots of people who love putting the condenser side of the RTU near exhaust vents. Exhaust vents that do nothing but blast grease in the air 24/7.
Then, after about a month, the AC stops blowing cold, and you clean it, and this happens:

Note: Coil cleaner foams up white.

And sometimes you see fun stuff. Need more air to go somewhere?

But 90% it's pretty boring problems, like putting air handlers with like "1 clearance from a wall.
Putting the service side of a condenser right up against the wall.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

In the 80's in the UK, putting carpet in bathrooms was common.

When I bought my house in 2005 or so it had a dark blue bathroom suite (dated 1984) with light blue floral tiles and a dark red deep pile carpet.

The memories of removing that carpet - especially from around the bath and toilet still haunt me. It was disgusting.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

One time when I was living in the UK I got up in the morning, went into the bathroom, had a nice piss, and passed out. I can tell you I was pretty thankful when I came to, that the floor was carpeted.

I'm not saying I love carpet in a bathroom but for safety it sure beats wet tile.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'd honestly love to do some study on what sort of psychology or culture or lack of understanding of liquids and cleaning and the things that happen in a bathroom possibly could have ever lead to anyone even considering putting carpet in a bathroom, let alone it becoming almost popular for a while.

Was cheap wall to wall carpet just this exciting new thing and people just had to put it everywhere?

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

Baronjutter posted:

I'd honestly love to do some study on what sort of psychology or culture or lack of understanding of liquids and cleaning and the things that happen in a bathroom possibly could have ever lead to anyone even considering putting carpet in a bathroom, let alone it becoming almost popular for a while.

Was cheap wall to wall carpet just this exciting new thing and people just had to put it everywhere?

It doesn't feel cold in winter. That's the reason.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Speaking of which, I got to check out the Olympic Club in San Francisco once, which is basically a super-expensive gym for people with too much money. Their locker rooms are carpeted. I don't know how much they spend on keeping the place clean, but they manage it somehow; I didn't notice any stink, let alone any fungus or mold.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
My house as a kid had a carpeted bathroom when we moved in, which lasted roughly as long as it took my dad to find a cheap linoleum remnant big enough to replace it with. I think he haggled the cost of professional replacement off the price of the house, too, so net gain.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

It doesn't feel cold in winter. That's the reason.

heat lamp!

A bath mat!

sorry I'm vigorous this evening.

It just ugh. I had to remove one set of carpeting from a bathroom and it was one of the most vile things i have ever done

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe

SneakyFrog posted:

My grandmother put bright white carpet in the kitchen as well as all the bathrooms. Really nice house too. The mothers would freak out if the grand kids had anything but water to drink, because of potential spilling.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Anubis posted:

My grandmother put bright white carpet in the kitchen as well as all the bathrooms. Really nice house too. The mothers would freak out if the grand kids had anything but water to drink, because of potential spilling.

ghaa white carpet just seems like a bad idea anywhere.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Anubis posted:

Well, at least you can bleach white pretty easy. Hope you like fumes!

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

SneakyFrog posted:

ghaa white carpet just seems like a bad idea anywhere.

White carpet is a sign of a soul repulsed by the idea that a house could be sufficiently clean.

I always think of carpeted bathrooms as an old people thing I guess.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
My grandma's kitchen had the weirdest carpet. It felt like a felt covering, like the floor was a giant pool table. I've never seen i since.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

canyoneer posted:

My grandma's kitchen had the weirdest carpet. It felt like a felt covering, like the floor was a giant pool table. I've never seen i since.

That sounds like Flotex

http://www.forbo.com/flooring/en-uk/products/flotex-flocked-flooring/ctbual

Feels like carpet, waterproof like lino. A really good idea.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

spog posted:

That sounds like Flotex

http://www.forbo.com/flooring/en-uk/products/flotex-flocked-flooring/ctbual

"Flotex Metro Neon". For the weird neon sex dungeon home, or weird neon sex dungeon office.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Suspect Bucket posted:

"Flotex Metro Neon". For the weird neon sex dungeon home, or weird neon sex dungeon office.

I'm thinking "laser tag foyer"

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Flotex Bacteria. When you want your floor to look like this for some reason:

Apparently it looks like "a constellation of stars". Uh huh.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Flotex Calgary is the perfect choice for application areas that require a muted ambiance. Have you been to Calgary? We have. We... :thousand yard stare towards TIm Hortons:

go stamps

edit: Oh. Because of this thread, I now follow a tumblr devoted solely to a traveling salesman taking pictures of ugly carpet he finds in hotels. http://uglycarpetlife.tumblr.com/

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Oct 25, 2015

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

spog posted:

It's still pretty gross.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
Finally, carpet that matches my pink Realtree bed set:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Suspect Bucket posted:

edit: Oh. Because of this thread, I now follow a tumblr devoted solely to a traveling salesman taking pictures of ugly carpet he finds in hotels. http://uglycarpetlife.tumblr.com/

At first glance, most of the "ugly" carpets actually own bones.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Leperflesh posted:

Oh yeah, people love that kinda carpet. Heck, even the Portland airport carpet has a cult following where people have gone so far as to tattoo themselves with the carpet design. There's even a whole industry of carpet patterned souvenir clothing as well.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Leperflesh posted:

They kinda do. A lot of them look great as a small carpet sample. I'd love an area rug of most of those. But then you imagine that this carpet probably covers every walking surface in an entire hotel. Swoopy geometric patterns as far as the eye can see. A busy, high-traffic canvas to mask high-traffic areas. Skewed shapes and jarring colors chasing you down an infinite hallway forever.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Suspect Bucket posted:

Color choices include "shock", "flame", "lava", "acid" and "zest".

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

OSU_Matthew posted:

Oh yeah, people love that kinda carpet. Heck, even the Portland airport carpet has a cult following where people have gone so far as to tattoo themselves with the carpet design. There's even a whole industry of carpet patterned souvenir clothing as well.

People cosplay as the carpet in the Marriott hotel that's part of DragonCon in Atlanta:

http://io9.com/cosplayers-threatened-with-legal-action-for-hotel-carpe-1366152096

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Suspect Bucket posted:

They kinda do. A lot of them look great as a small carpet sample. I'd love an area rug of most of those. But then you imagine that this carpet probably covers every walking surface in an entire hotel. Swoopy geometric patterns as far as the eye can see. A busy, high-traffic canvas to mask high-traffic areas. Skewed shapes and jarring colors chasing you down an infinite hallway forever.
Most importantly, they hide stains from beer, wine, vomit, blood, semen, and most other things you'll find on any given square inch of a hotel's carpet.

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005

Vulture Culture posted:

Most importantly, they hide stains from beer, wine, vomit, blood, semen, and most other things you'll find on any given square inch of a hotel's carpet.

perfect to put in the kitchen and bathroom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrPete
May 17, 2007
I think the real question we need to be asking is can I use some of this carpet to hide my 400 pounds of concrete?