Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

ShadowMar posted:

the octovine event is really cool in theory, in practice it's a bunch of brain dead pubbies running around while 2 or 3 people yell at them for being idiots and the event is tuned for way too many people compared to how many people even attempt it

So its the Tequatl rework again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
"I don't think a single game should demand as much time from me as having a kid would." —somehow a controversial opinion among MMO players

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

^^^ lol so true

ShadowMar posted:

the octovine event is really cool in theory, in practice it's a bunch of brain dead pubbies running around while 2 or 3 people yell at them for being idiots and the event is tuned for way too many people compared to how many people even attempt it

So it's every large event in this entire game

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Had a lot of fun running around getting hero points with the torrid mass of goons tonight. Important note: tonics that can jump can also glide, though they do not show any wings. The large spider from the normal plastic spider tonic can jump. It works best if you have a kite with it, though the birthday blaster is also great.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

quote:

GW2 doesn’t fall into the traps of traditional MMORPGs. It doesn’t suck your life away and force you onto a grinding treadmill; it doesn’t make you spend hours preparing to have fun rather than just having fun

quote:

It all gets back to our basic design philosophy. Our games aren’t about preparing to have fun, or about grinding for a future fun reward. Our games are designed to be fun from moment to moment.

e: just for giggles obv, they abandoned this design goal years ago. I was just feeling nostalgic.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Orv posted:

I crafting or tome leveled all but two of my characters, and didn't do the story on most of them, which means it's a gigantic loving pain in my rear end, and I'm not interested in putting in the kind of commitment I did a decade ago with MMOs. It's still way too much time.

it definitely is. somehow it's a combination of a couple of awful things making it tedious instead of just having...maybe one awful part. map completion only gives half the points needed. the jungle hero points either involve groups (which is sketchy at best) or are gated behind masteries. the total needed is 400, which means that even with full map completion you still have to do 20 skill things in HoT. if even one of those parts wasn't poo poo then maybe it wouldn't be as bad, but right now it is and if anet doesn't change something then they're genuinely dumb.

CLAM DOWN posted:

no, other events typically don't involve 4 boss fights happening at the same time, each with their own tedious gimmick that can be actively sabotaged by a single person with little to no effort at times. also, once a single boss thing is killed then you have 2 minutes to kill the rest before that boss is brought back with some hp and the rest get even more hp back, making it so that they have to be killed within a small window of time. all while dealing with waves of mordrem poo poo, which is questionable at best. it's a lot of cool ideas and it's neat that they're experimenting, but right now it's a genuine parade of awfulness.

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.

CLAM DOWN posted:

^^^ lol so true

I don't think it'll be too bad in a few weeks when everyone understands it, but it isn't very good right now. Despite each of the 4 quadrants telling you clearly what you need to do, people are a bit dumb. Actually people on that map in general are a bit dumb in working out the meta event.

I think the meta on the third map is kinda cool but holy poo poo it will take a while for me to not get lost in there.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

the xpac is actually a really cool and fantastic base marred by a bunch of poor design choices thrown on top for The Grind or naive ideas about how the player base acts

removing the itzel 4 mastery gate for the story is a good sign, so hopefully they'll take everyone's other complaints seriously

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Reddit is interesting today. On the one hand, the topics getting upvoted the most are about "uh guys did you expect to beat HoT in a day? Stop complaining about grinding :smuggo:," which is not surprising. On the other hand, all the top-rated comments in those threads are people actually explaining that, no, they didn't want to finish HoT in one day, they just want to play their drat elite spec. Usually if something gets upvoted into the sky, only comments agreeing with it are getting upvoted, too.

I dunno. I'm feeling really unmotivated to play, which is a shame. I just want to play Chronomancer and I'm sure I could just put my head down and grind it out and have it in a week of my usual playing but... I don't want to do that. Hunting down hero points isn't fun. But also, I better do it soon, before everyone else moves on and I have to beg goons to help me kill the champs. :ohdear:

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

guys relax. sit back and listen to some tunes.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Can we take a second to acknowledge the irony that gating the hero points behind huge maps and challenges to mitigate binge-gaming is actually getting many people to say "gently caress better do this fast before the crowds disappear and I have to beg people who already completed it to help me"?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

ShadowMar posted:

the xpac is actually a really cool and fantastic base marred by a bunch of poor design choices thrown on top for The Grind or naive ideas about how the player base acts

removing the itzel 4 mastery gate for the story is a good sign, so hopefully they'll take everyone's other complaints seriously

yeah, pretty much. i like that they're actually trying to mix things up with a lot of this stuff, but even with people at large getting a hang of what's going on there's still some events/whatever that really need to be retuned so that they're not frustrating as gently caress. if there's one thing i can say, it's that the expansion is surprisingly not that buggy.

i almost wish it was buggy, because some of those bugs might make some of this stuff easier.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

mind the walrus posted:

Can we take a second to acknowledge the irony that gating the hero points behind huge maps and challenges to mitigate binge-gaming is actually getting many people to say "gently caress better do this fast before the crowds disappear and I have to beg people who already completed it to help me"?

anet still hasn't figured out that what they intend players to do has never aligned with what players actually do

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Harrow posted:

I dunno. I'm feeling really unmotivated to play, which is a shame. I just want to play Chronomancer and I'm sure I could just put my head down and grind it out and have it in a week of my usual playing but... I don't want to do that. Hunting down hero points isn't fun. But also, I better do it soon, before everyone else moves on and I have to beg goons to help me kill the champs. :ohdear:

I actually stopped playing GW2 a few months ago (only logged in for login reward) because I was burnt out playing so much. With the announcement of HoT I was pumped and excited for it. I followed the news enough to know what some things where but not too much. I was excited all week and look forward to playing and now 2 days later I don't want to play much.

I'll eventually get the elite spec and some of the masteries eventually. I'm just looking forward to getting there.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

I think I feel this way for two reasons:

1. The thing they gated behind those hero points is, no joke, like 50% of the reason I got the expansion pack. I was hoping I'd have Chronomancer fully unlocked and be able to use it for most of Heart of Thorns's story stuff, but that probably won't happen unless I binge the hero points.

2. Most hero point challenges are incredibly punishing to solo. If that wasn't the case, I think I'd probably just shut up and go do it and it would be fine. Make them veterans, not champions, and you solve most of the problem. As it is, I think it's going to be a nightmare to unlock elite specs a few months from now. It adds to the pressure to do it right now because it's going to be much more of a pain to do it later.

NapoleonAtWaterloo
Jun 28, 2008

Harrow posted:

Very much feeling this way. Right now without being able to play elite spec the only thing I enjoy from this expac so far is the art design on the maps, but even then playing them can be so goddamn annoying sometimes that I kinda never want to see verdant brink again.

edit: and action cam is rad, but that was some dude making some rad poo poo in his spare time.

NapoleonAtWaterloo fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Oct 25, 2015

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

The biggest issue I had was just the scarcity of players. Tons of people are doing the xpac content, yet I am running around only occasionally seeing someone. If there were tons of people, then that champ wouldn't be so bad. I wonder if they lowered the number of players on maps to avoid issues, or maybe the whole dang thing is counting as one zone for number purposes.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the elite specs being so heavily gated also sucks because out of all the poo poo to grind for it's basically the least enjoyable to do as much, because all you're doing is unlocking basic functionalities for your class. it's the Leveling Rework all over again except instead of poo poo like 'being able to use an elite skill' it's 3x the effort for just being able to use a single trait line that only offers an alternate way to play and not 'actual' progression. and yeah, if the enemies from the hero challenges were even just elites instead of champions then there probably wouldn't be as much of a rush to get them done while other players are still looking to do them.

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.

Eltoasto posted:

The biggest issue I had was just the scarcity of players. Tons of people are doing the xpac content, yet I am running around only occasionally seeing someone. If there were tons of people, then that champ wouldn't be so bad. I wonder if they lowered the number of players on maps to avoid issues, or maybe the whole dang thing is counting as one zone for number purposes.

Only place I've felt like there was a lot of people is in the last map, Dragons Stand. Just because it is a 3-lane map and you kinda have to congregate.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Eltoasto posted:

My guess is the second one: each big zone probably counts as one zone for player population purposes, so even though they're letting in a number of players that would be fine in any other zone, it feels like there aren't nearly enough. It's why you end up feeling like you have to actively party up with people to do events, because you can't rely on just running across enough people.

If they fixed that somehow, that would go a long way towards improving the open world experience.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

i have only once found a hero point with other people at it, something has to be wrong because while the maps are big, they're nowhere near big enough that every area is loving barren

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I've often started or seen someone doing a hero point solo, and then the crowd grows up to 5 by the end, and then in the blink of an eye everyone was gone again. It's not atrocious but no loving way do I want to do that for every class to unlock their elites.

Also hope y'all made your money on flax while the making was good.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

The last two nights we have had goontrains running as many hero points as possible (thank you so much Monorang, Hlatun and Schpyder) and I can safely say that without a mass of helpful guildmates unlocking hero points loving sucks.

Even with a mass of helpful guildmates it was pretty brutal at times. I'm not sure it'll be possible a couple months from now.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are

SlothBear posted:

Yeah Anet's servers are getting hammered. Wiki down etc.

Wiki/Forum servers are the same physical hardware, but they have zero to do with any game servers.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

The last two nights we have had goontrains running as many hero points as possible (thank you so much Monorang, Hlatun and Schpyder) and I can safely say that without a mass of helpful guildmates unlocking hero points loving sucks.

Even with a mass of helpful guildmates it was pretty brutal at times. I'm not sure it'll be possible a couple months from now.

They're going to have to either tone down the champions or lower the hero point requirements for elite specs, ideally both, within a couple of months or it's going to be awful.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

If anyone else is having this problem (ctd followed by not being able to use the launcher anymore) here is how I fixed it:

I moved the .dat file, uninstalled the game, reinstalled it, then put the .dat file back.

Most of the stuff recommended in the past to fix it didn't work, but that took care of it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I don't think I ever got a single character above 20 or so, because I gots the alt-itis BAD. Besides the release of the Revenant, has much changed with the launch of the expansion for someone like me? I barely even know what talents are, let alone masteries or hero points or whatever all this other poo poo y'all are on about is.

I kinda wanna pick up Guardian, I think. I've got kind of an irrational love of your holy/Cleric smite-mine-enemies-with-the-power-of-the-Lord-GOD types. (ed: though I guess going Dragonhunter kind of loses some of that aesthetic, maybe? I dunno how any of that works :()

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
The story mode is craaaazy. :2bong:

Ktzi
Aug 1, 2006

There are plenty of spiders!
Reaper is fun. But so far the expansion is incredibly frustrating and not giving me a huge desire to play any of it. Masteries take for loving /ever/ to grind out and thus bar progress on unlocking the elite, mob density is ridiculous, so many things are way overtuned (why yes I love being 1-shot constantly in a zone with only 1 active WP at any given point) and...

I'm not happy. Okay thanks for listening.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011
Has anyone come across an item called "badge of tribute" yet? The tooltip says you get them from a vendor in the guild hall's war room, but you need them to build said war room.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

I kinda wanna pick up Guardian, I think. I've got kind of an irrational love of your holy/Cleric smite-mine-enemies-with-the-power-of-the-Lord-GOD types. (ed: though I guess going Dragonhunter kind of loses some of that aesthetic, maybe? I dunno how any of that works :()

Dragonhunter keeps the Guardian aesthetic pretty well, but it's more of a Celestial Hunter (not as Celestial as Druid, of course).

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO
Welp someone made it to the end of HoT already.

video type="youtube"]aOCK61tEQnk[/video]

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I feel like by merely being a few days late for the xpack I'm going to have issues with hero point challenges =/

e: not to mention my casual playtime, I'm really feeling hosed here :(

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Oct 25, 2015

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I see one of the expansion purchase options has an additional character slot. How much are those on their own? Thinking about jumping in.

(edit)

CLAM DOWN posted:

I feel like by merely being a few days late for the xpack I'm going to have issues with hero point challenges =/

Er... hm, maybe nevermind :(

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

I see one of the expansion purchase options has an additional character slot. How much are those on their own? Thinking about jumping in.

(edit)

Er... hm, maybe nevermind :(

Well keep in mind I haven't played it yet as I've been traveling, but solely based on everything posted in this thread I'm feeling like I'm hosed as a casual player. My only hope is that Anet reverses this stupid rear end poo poo.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

Well keep in mind I haven't played it yet as I've been traveling, but solely based on everything posted in this thread I'm feeling like I'm hosed as a casual player. My only hope is that Anet reverses this stupid rear end poo poo.

it's the same GW2 experience you've always known. parts of it are really good and parts of it are really dumb poo poo

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

People are burning down the forums over elite spec gating. They'll probably fix it within the next week or so.

I feel that 200 points to unlock with HoT challenges being worth 2-5 points each and involving vets instead of champs would have been reasonable. 400 is retarded and you need 3-5 people for about half of the drat challenges.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

there's genuinely no way they won't change something or other

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/Shazbawt/status/658092329962573824

quote:

Central Tyria Masteries were designed with older content in mind, how quickly you level and obtain those masteries is your choice.

that's Chris Cleary, for all you farmers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Kessel posted:

it's the same GW2 experience you've always known. parts of it are really good and parts of it are really dumb poo poo

I know, I'm just bummed about not being able to play dragonhunter for quite some time now it seems and I'm stuck with the same loving specs I've been playing for 3 years, now it feels like I'm going to have issues doing hero challenges because I'm behind. Sucks man :(

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

there's genuinely no way they won't change something or other

Hope you're right!

• Locked thread