Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

This will unfortunately never happen. During the reddit AMA, the fatshark CEO said that they wouldn't "break lore" or whatever. So that kinda eliminates a lot of interesting campy ideas.

Eh I wouldn't go that far. There's a LOT you can still do without technically breaking lore.

It's just that you kind of have to draw the line somewhere and Orks and Chaos are definitely on the other side of that line. Almost anything else can plausibly be justified though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Yeah, Warhammer Fantasy orcs are not like 40k orks where there are Freebootaz and other wacky stuff, there's not really any way they'd be fighting alongside other races.

Ogres, on the other hand...:getin:

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice
Hmm... if you pick up a barrel bomb right as it explodes, it blows up and you can carry a bugged one that blows up after you throw it.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Fans posted:

Got a Repeater Pistol for the Witch Hunter with 98% Chance to penetrate for a second hit and -40% spread and it's pretty great. Just unload into groups and watch them drop.

Thing is, a brace of pistols wth the same bonuses could do that, too. And still be better at killing specials and stormvermin, hosing down Rat Ogres and being able to be continously ready to fire instead of needing frequent reloads.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I can't see that workign with current specials. I mean, jsut imagine some poor Packmaster trying to rag off half a ton of Ogre that's just watching the funny little rat thingie trying to budge him and wondering what it is trying to accomplish with that.

Magni fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Oct 25, 2015

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Musluk posted:

She's the equivalent of a 13 year old kiddo on voice comms calling everyone mayflies and lumberfoots and nothing else because she can't come up with anything else as an insult.

Imagine the kommando having conversation about adding more dakka to his handguns with the dwarf. :allears:

Could you when you are coming down from molly, shrooms, and bathsalts?

She took a wee nap in a inn in some filthy human city on a crazy drug fueled bender and the next day ratmen invade. Can't think of a worse time to have a come down. That's why she is annoyed with the dorf always yelling and poo poo.

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...
I'm addicted to the Witchhunter with Zweihander and crossbow. Hack swarms, snipe specials.

The downside is that I also love the pistols and the rapier. Choices are hard.

Overall I'm loving this game. L4D2 always felt a little bland to me but this is a blast. The melee combat and the banter are really great.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Snatch Duster posted:

Could you when you are coming down from molly, shrooms, and bathsalts?

She took a wee nap in a inn in some filthy human city on a crazy drug fueled bender and the next day ratmen invade. Can't think of a worse time to have a come down. That's why she is annoyed with the dorf always yelling and poo poo.

loving elf apologists

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Musluk posted:

loving elf apologists

Pissy whiny wet blanket elf owns.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Magni posted:

Thing is, a brace of pistols wth the same bonuses could do that, too. And still be better at killing specials and stormvermin, hosing down Rat Ogres and being able to be continously ready to fire instead of needing frequent reloads.

What people are ignoring or forgetting is that Brace has insane recoil the more you use it. So you can't spam it like you can a repeater without either being at close range or hacks.

Also the repeater is actually pretty good when spammed at long range. I've sniped gunners with one. The thing's more like a rifle than anything else. The hunter even uses it two handed.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
even on normal the supply mission ending is a mother fucker

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
I was totally happy with my starting white crossbow on my dwarf, for sniping Ratling Gunners and the like. Then I got a blue dwarven Handgun with 50% faster reload speed and 11% chance for any hit to instead count as if I had headshot the enemy instead.

It's magical.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Blisster posted:

I'm addicted to the Witchhunter with Zweihander and crossbow. Hack swarms, snipe specials.

The downside is that I also love the pistols and the rapier. Choices are hard.

Overall I'm loving this game. L4D2 always felt a little bland to me but this is a blast. The melee combat and the banter are really great.
Witch hunter was middling for me as much as I wanted to love the grumpy bastard until I got the crossbow. My team couldn't snipe the specials well enough and the DPS on the white pistols wasn't enough to justify my inability to remove Stormvermin at range, but either with good dwarves/soldiers or with me doing it myself, it was okay. The rapier kills Stormvermin and Rogres really well and the crossbow is a one-shot on pretty much anything except the above two, so your role essnetially becomes big-bane hunter. With the pistols and rapier you're some strange jack-of-all-trades all the time, which is useful as hell but not defining and its hard to tell if you're doing well unlike the other classes (also I suck with headshots). Soldier/Dwarf are there for mobs and specials (melee/ranged) Pyro is there for AoE ranged, and elf is honestly the best AoE melee with some ranged ability.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

This game is a lot of fun for the 20-something you'll pay for it. I'm incredibly pleased

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Soldier is a bad class. Stop playing soldier

so that I can play soldier

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Magni posted:

- Rapier is overall crazy good once you get used to it. The normal swings are fast and slice through groups like you wouldn't believe and the charge-stab is pinpoin-accurate, armor-piercing and has a headshot bonus, which means you will ruin specials and stormvermin with it once you get it down. Plus you get 16 pistol shots just because. Seriously one of the best melee options in the game imo.

Wait, that ammo count actually means something? How do you fire pistols using the rapier?

Good Citizen posted:

Soldier is a bad class. Stop playing soldier

so that I can play soldier

Play Dorf. Dorf is like a shorter soldier.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Alkydere posted:

Wait, that ammo count actually means something? How do you fire pistols using the rapier?

Special attack button. For some reason it wasn't bound to anything for me so I put it on middle mouse button.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I wish this game did a better job of explaining things. I threw away a Grimoire earlier today because I thought it was some sort of bomb thing.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Alkydere posted:

This is very true. We are blessed that the best class/best character is basically cloned in the form of Soldier/Dwarf, and neither get picked often. So if you join a game last/in progress, you still have a 95% chance of getting to choose the Dwarf/Soldier.

Bummer if you want to be a Wizard, Elf, or Witch Hunter, but I want none of that!

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

moosecow333 posted:

I wish this game did a better job of explaining things. I threw away a Grimoire earlier today because I thought it was some sort of bomb thing.

That's what playing with people are for.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

gigawhite posted:

Special attack button. For some reason it wasn't bound to anything for me so I put it on middle mouse button.

I'm guessing not much else has special attacks or else the button would be more important/actually assigned?

Rookersh posted:

This is very true. We are blessed that the best class/best character is basically cloned in the form of Soldier/Dwarf, and neither get picked often. So if you join a game last/in progress, you still have a 95% chance of getting to choose the Dwarf/Soldier.

Bummer if you want to be a Wizard, Elf, or Witch Hunter, but I want none of that!

Dorf/Soldier are just awesome the way they can (practically) carry a team (can't do anything if someone decides to hare off on his own). My current Dorf build is the hammer n' shield and the handgun. The hammer/shield swings just as fast as the axe and hits the entire area in front of you for a knockdown. Sure it doesn't do nearly as much damage as the axe or a two-handed hammer but you're just like some lawnmower knocking Skaven on the ground where you/your allies can just finish them off. And of course the handgun is just a magical "gently caress off specials" button. The only thing that gives me trouble is the Stormvermin, but I can deal with just about everything else.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

God help me I'm starting to really enjoy playing as the elf.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Wait, the Dwarf gets a handgun too?

Also, I need to try out Shield+Hand Weapon sometime. Especially now that I got a white shield+mace on the Trooper. Of course, I should probably also try characters that aren't the Trooper.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Alkydere posted:

I have an orange dorf pistol so I should play dorf but I miss my big 2 hand sword

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Wait, the Dwarf gets a handgun too?

Also, I need to try out Shield+Hand Weapon sometime. Especially now that I got a white shield+mace on the Trooper. Of course, I should probably also try characters that aren't the Trooper.

Yup. Dorf gets crossbow, pistols, double-barreled shotty and sniper rifle handgun for his ranged options from what I've seen. All I've gotten for rares so far is a shotty with a +2 to magazine size though which is kinda meh for a shotty.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Archonex posted:

What people are ignoring or forgetting is that Brace has insane recoil the more you use it. So you can't spam it like you can a repeater without either being at close range or hacks.

Also the repeater is actually pretty good when spammed at long range. I've sniped gunners with one. The thing's more like a rifle than anything else. The hunter even uses it two handed.

That and the repeater has a secondary fire, which with 40% less spread is a fairly accurate shotgun blast of gently caress you death.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Playing with pubbies when you hear a stormvermin patrol marching your way. Rather than go around, they charge headlong into six or seven of the bastards and all die.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Yeah, there's a whole bunch of lore-possible stuff they could do that would be fun to play if executed right. Elf Wardancers, Dwarven Engineers or Runesmiths, like eight other kinds of wizards.

Stuff like orcs/goblins and beastmen really would make the most sense as alternate enemy types for different maps, which is something the game needs just as much as more player characters.

It's too bad they'll probably never come out with something from the army I played, Tomb Kings.

immortal flow
Jun 6, 2003
boing boing boing

This loving part of the warehouse on docks. Wiped the whole team because apparently none of these professional warriors can do a pull up. Best part is when you lose your grip and fall, you just hang, alive, in mid-air for ever.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

immortal flow posted:

This loving part of the warehouse on docks. Wiped the whole team because apparently none of these professional warriors can do a pull up. Best part is when you lose your grip and fall, you just hang, alive, in mid-air for ever.

Literally came here to post about this. Happened to me like 15 seconds ago. In my case, it was because the rats' hitboxes appeared before they jumped down, so theypushed me off.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I still can't get an Exotic drop to save my life for Kruber, but I found something better.

It's loving magnificent.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

You think this is a game?

Captain Oblivious posted:

I still can't get an Exotic drop to save my life for Kruber, but I found something better.

It's loving magnificent.

Jesus christ. That's beautiful.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
There really needs to be some sort of split second block for hook rats or gutter runners. As it is if one comes at you in the middle of a crowd you're basically hosed. Even L4D gave you the chance to interrupt a Hunter's lunge if you timed a push right.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
It's possible to push back (not block) a gutter runner mid-pounce, though it tends to be finicky in whether it registers or not.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
I am a filthy elf player, ask me anything.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Captain Oblivious posted:

It's loving magnificent.

That amazing.

I've also seen the soldier being a terrible gambler referenced in the in game dialog, the characters talk about how Kruber is currently flat broke after Olesya robbed him blind playing cards.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I found a line where the elf isn't bitching! If the dwarf goes down, she gets kinda quiet and calls him a fine son of his hold and bids him farewell. :smith:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Knifegrab posted:

I am a filthy elf player, ask me anything.

Are the daggers actually good? I got a pair of daggers with berserk on them.

Night10194 posted:

I found a line where the elf isn't bitching! If the dwarf goes down, she gets kinda quiet and calls him a fine son of his hold and bids him farewell. :smith:

She says not to mourn for Saltzpyre, for he was already dead on the inside.

Also, in the well mission Saltzpyre cracks a couple lame well puns. Bardin groans.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Arcsquad12 posted:

There really needs to be some sort of split second block for hook rats or gutter runners. As it is if one comes at you in the middle of a crowd you're basically hosed. Even L4D gave you the chance to interrupt a Hunter's lunge if you timed a push right.

This actually is possible at least for Gutter Runners. The timing is even more finicky than it was in L4D though, since there's no unified latency balancing the way there was in that game. So good loving luck.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

This will unfortunately never happen. During the reddit AMA, the fatshark CEO said that they wouldn't "break lore" or whatever. So that kinda eliminates a lot of interesting campy ideas.
I never actually expected it to happen. The idea is so outlandish that it would barely even make sense as a fan mod.

Backhand posted:

Amusingly enough, I just heard Kruber say something almost exactly like that while riding an elevator. Basically that she probably never had anything of substance to say, simply because there was nothing interesting about her. Simultaneously playing into his 'nice guy' persona while also still managing to insult the elf.
I love that exchange. To be more complete, it goes like this:

Saltzpyre: There's something you're still not telling us...isn't there, ELF?
Kerillian: There's no time for me to tell you EVERYTHING you don't know.
Saltzpyre: You...!
Kruber: Leave her be, sir. She just uses mystery to conceal her lack of substance.

Kerillian makes a snarky remark back to him after this, but I don't remember it and I doubt anyone else does either because any sane person is just going :vince: after Kruber's line.

Magni posted:

I can't see that workign with current specials. I mean, jsut imagine some poor Packmaster trying to rag off half a ton of Ogre that's just watching the funny little rat thingie trying to budge him and wondering what it is trying to accomplish with that.
The pack master's polearm isn't just a rope, it's a mancatcher:

If one of those is on you it barely matters how big and strong you are because you can't plant yourself to resist without getting a spike in your throat.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
She'll also give kudos to the Bright Wizard, mentioning how the people around her are blind to her gift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Yeah, Warhammer Fantasy orcs are not like 40k orks where there are Freebootaz and other wacky stuff, there's not really any way they'd be fighting alongside other races.

See the problem is, there's precedent for including orcs. Seriously, even without getting into the weirder mercs, it wouldn't be impossible to use Dogs of War to include pretty much every race. Besides, fluff for endtimes is literally, "gently caress Chaos." all other things are moot.

• Locked thread