Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

there's genuinely no way they won't change something or other

imagine if this was a korean MMO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

ShadowMar posted:

please no

treizebee
Dec 30, 2011

Stage 3 oil injection
I've just resorted to playing Revenant until this maybe probably not changes.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Played for a handful of hours today on a Revenant. Did some Mad King events but mostly HoT.

Aside from the Wyvern fight, which was animated well but bland, I never saw more than 5 people at a time. I went to do as many events as I could but only managed to squeak out 2 mastery points.

The gliding is a ton of fun but I couldn't really kill much on my own and I was very much on my own. There is something g wrong here. I should have been tripping over people.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
I'm playing a Revenant and the class only feels half there without Herald, but that's the downside of Herald being so well-integrated into every major build. I decided to level 1-80 without boosting and am finding that to be an excellent decision as I'm really learning each spec's ups and downs without Herald there to just make anything work.

I had planned on Sword/Sword Berserker, but now I'm leaning Mace/Axe Sinister. Mallyx and Shiro's stances are both kind of underwhelming for PvE -- Jalis has the best utility kit if anything -- but I feel like Mace/Axe is way more flexible than Sword/Sword. As the only ranged choice, Hammer seems like the mandatory swap weapon.

Staff is kind of left in a weird place -- while ostensibly for Ventari healing it's actually got robust utility, and I think Shield is a better healing weapon anyway. I'm not sure where it really fits other than pre-Herald Ventari. Maybe it would have been too powerful, but making Staff another ranged option would have been nice to at least provide a choice for ranged encounters.

So far so good on the expansion for me. I'll let the rest of the Internet figure out HoT and cry where appropriate. By the time I get there it should be a much smoother ride.

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

This is a super cool name generator.

Especially when you turn on just Rapper and Transformer.

Behold, it is Tyria's savior, Method Bone Predaking.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i was going to ask if anyone has even gotten herald fully unlocked yet on revenant buuuuuuuuuuut earlier today i saw someone at level...42? mastery already, so never underestimate people's ability to poopsock, i guess.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Jesus even with cheats of all sorts that'd still be nearly non-stop playing since yesterday.

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

ShadowMar posted:

just fire up the chinese version when they get the content, pretty good simulator of such most likely

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Dukka posted:

just fire up the chinese version when they get the content, pretty good simulator of such most likely

actually, is there a recent writeup about all the differences and stuff in the current chinese version besides no skulls, im curious

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Catsworth posted:

Yo, I think you mean Chill Doggy Dog Mobb Rhymes.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

watch as they add a mastery that reduces hero points required to unlock stuff.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Lonk posted:

Because I can.

sorry m8 i did that in full zerker and it only took 10 minutes

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

boho posted:

I'm playing a Revenant and the class only feels half there without Herald, but that's the downside of Herald being so well-integrated into every major build. I decided to level 1-80 without boosting and am finding that to be an excellent decision as I'm really learning each spec's ups and downs without Herald there to just make anything work.

I had planned on Sword/Sword Berserker, but now I'm leaning Mace/Axe Sinister. Mallyx and Shiro's stances are both kind of underwhelming for PvE -- Jalis has the best utility kit if anything -- but I feel like Mace/Axe is way more flexible than Sword/Sword. As the only ranged choice, Hammer seems like the mandatory swap weapon.

Staff is kind of left in a weird place -- while ostensibly for Ventari healing it's actually got robust utility, and I think Shield is a better healing weapon anyway. I'm not sure where it really fits other than pre-Herald Ventari. Maybe it would have been too powerful, but making Staff another ranged option would have been nice to at least provide a choice for ranged encounters.

So far so good on the expansion for me. I'll let the rest of the Internet figure out HoT and cry where appropriate. By the time I get there it should be a much smoother ride.

I ended up sticking almost exclusively with Shiro while leveling (still two more levels to go), switching to Jalis just to swap for energy. The main problem I'm having with the Revenant is the basic PvE stance (at least pre-HoT zones which I understand are more difficult) is basically just hit your auto-attack, turn on your burn power, and just wait until it's time to change stance and repeat. Also Shiro makes Axe useless, so Sword/Sword gives you a bit more of a safety valve if you need it. Admittedly Mace is the one weapon I haven't tried so I could be missing something.

I'm honestly kind of curious as to what your doing to make Shiro's stance seem lackluster because for everything I've tried it just blows the others out the water. I will admit that Jalis is even more invulnerable than a decked out Guardian though, especially with Sword/Sword and Hammer.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'm pretty much on the same page as most of you guys here. The world looks absolutely gorgeous (where was that golden city hiding during GW1?) and the story is good so far, at least when I don't have to deal with my "team" of numbskulls - except for Canach, who's actually an interesting, two-dimensional character. Getting through these zones outside of exploration is a nightmare, especially when you want to go somewhere fast and every waypoint is contested.

Playing on EU here but I also gotta wonder where the hell all the people are. Last night I played a few hours on EU prime time on a saturday night and I had 4-5 other people doing even meta events. Imagine if they hadn't scaled the mobs down from 2nd beta with these champ infested hero points, scarcity of players and weird event scaling.

I had about 200 hero points in store on my main but that only took me halfway to chronomancer spec. I'm still missing the grandmaster traits and last skills which are kind of the whole point with chronophantasma and wells.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

it's really loving dumb how you can't play the expansion content with the class spec everyone bought the expansion for until you've grinded for 20 hours to unlock frog farting

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Regarding frog farting, I still don't know what masteries are useful and what you don't really need. I do know I gotta unlock most (all?) of the gliding to get anywhere in the mesmer ascended shield achievement and find all locations, but what else is good? I have Iztel 1 (bouncy mushrooms) and Exalted 1 (markings and teleports) besides Gliding 2 so far.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

ShadowMar posted:

actually, is there a recent writeup about all the differences and stuff in the current chinese version besides no skulls, im curious

I wrote it up somewhere in the last thread but I'm not going to look for it

i'll just leave you with this tidbit: the playerbase calls it the mystic toilet in Mandarin too

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Kessel posted:

i'll just leave you with this tidbit: the playerbase calls it the mystic toilet in Mandarin too

That's awesome

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Kessel posted:

yessss

PsycheNotFound
Sep 30, 2015

by Lowtax
I want to have my chronomancer and I want to enjoy the story but as I mentioned earlier, but more sardonically, the need to unlock basic means of navigation is retarded. It's a bad development move. There's gating content, and then there's this. This isn't gating content so much as simply being an rear end in a top hat. Give us an epic quest at the beginning of the zone that gradually introduces us to frog farting, let us play around with it a bit, and then make it default for everyone after finishing that quest.

I'm wondering if the reason why many of us are running into an issue of not finding enough players in these new zones is because a lot of folks put in a couple of hours, got frustrated, and decided to come back to it later.

I know I did, eventually.

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
Have they scrapped the story instancing or is there some kind of magic phasing tricks going on? That might explain the lack of players all over the place?

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Imaginary Friend posted:

Have they scrapped the story instancing or is there some kind of magic phasing tricks going on? That might explain the lack of players all over the place?

No most story missions are still instanced. The world just feels empty because the individual maps are loving huge and 150 players isn't that many.

Add to that the fact that I didn't even get to the second map until today, I imagine the later maps just don't have a lot of people in them yet.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Azazell0 posted:

(where was that golden city hiding during GW1?)

It wasn't there yet, it got built after the dragons started waking. Auric Basin is where The Falls were in GW1 for those who remember that. Verdant Brink could be the same place as the Bloodstone Fen mission.

I also just realised that one of the ambient music tracks in Auric Basin is a remix of the music in Augury Rock and Glint's Lair. :allears:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Considering how many people are complaining about the Elite spec gating and problems doing stuff solo, I can't imagine them not changing around stuff in the following months. I'm not only guildless but also prefer to play solo so the jungle hasn't been very kind to me so far :negative:

nessin posted:

The main problem I'm having with the Revenant is the basic PvE stance (at least pre-HoT zones which I understand are more difficult) is basically just hit your auto-attack, turn on your burn power, and just wait until it's time to change stance and repeat.

I played it almost entirely as Mallyx up to this point. Unyielding Anguish is super fun, and the elite skill is :krad:. "NOW YOU SHALL WITNESS THE ULTIMATE POWER!"
Maybe I'm just projecting because I totally themed my character around it :v:

<- Click

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Druid got me feeling like:

Its really underwhelming, the healing is ok but the most use I seem to get out of it is just keeping my pet alive, the main issue is how the healing skills seem to be based around people being really close or even stacking to get use out of and actually hit people, I can move around and try to get people in the beam but the width of the beam just seems to small, the wisp is cool and helps melee classes, the celestial grace is pretty stupid, it heals allies when you reach your target but for your allies to gain any benefit out of it, i would have to be in melee range so you put yourself at risk and any ranged classes don't get the benefit of the heal.

The vines are to slow to come out, it only works on none moving targets, the wall is ok.

Celestial form is so incredibly dull I forget its even there half the time, the skills barely seem any stronger than the staff ones and it doesn't work like death shroud either, its your regular health on the line so don't go down or you waste it.

The biggest issue is how even if you're using your elite spec you can't really mix and match with druid, you HAVE to take the glyphs, the entire sub class is built 100% around the glyphs and they fundamentally alter the class when you go celestial.

I'm still using it and trying to make it work but yea, it needs buffs or just changed entirely, to be honest I'd copy a lot of the guardian staff stuff, the auto attack would work a lot better if it was similar to the guardians wave, it would provide healing over a much bigger area, and the celestial wisp needs to be a targeted move or just something you cast on the enemy, similar to the other wisp, the vines need to be insta cast to be any good, as it stands its just a mediocre and very slow entangle.

I'd honestly just switch to my warrior at this point but I only have 23 points so I can't even gently caress around with zerker so I'll stick to Lin for now.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I played like 3 hours of the new story/zones. Was enough to unlock Gliding and Mushrooms. I've got to say though, the way I progressed was really... bad. Like after the first story mission it keeps you with some NPCs that were in it as you go along doing Events. Which is pretty cool. Only like the third or fourth event has you breaking into teams. I picked the right team I guess and we got to a point where our dude was just sitting around waiting as the other one slowly died out. Started exploring the place a bit only for the event to move on and me unable to get back to it. Oh well. Bit more wandering, I found two different event tracks. Participated in both, got to fight three different wyverns, was cool. Then I got the grind Mushrooms story mission and decided to stick with one single event track for the outpost. It was pretty fun, doing a bunch of different stuff... until the event dead ended and nobody knew how to complete it. So we just wandered around for a while and then night came and that was over. Then I was asked to change maps because the one I was on was dead.

Also I doubt I will ever unlock the elite spec fully for my main character much less any alt. My main is an ele so I don't actually care and I pvp plenty so it's not like I don't use them, but still. I'm content with my 30% map completion, I don't need character progression hidden behind it. Why do mainland Hero Points even exist?

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Inzombiac posted:

Yo, I think you mean Chill Doggy Dog Mobb Rhymes.

You're both wrong. Wrestler is where it's at. Behold the majesty that is "Beautiful Muscles Fireman"

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
So are there more Pact Tyria mastery points than are needed? Because if not that means if I want to get 100% masteries for Pact Tyria I have to buy the rest of season 2 that I don't have. :nallears:

Cobra-Commander
Jun 15, 2015
I logged in after 3 years of not playing, somehow I am the leader of Thats no Goon, on jade quarry server.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

Catsworth posted:

:stare: The best asura names

L'il-X Buzzsaw (Warrior)
MC Freak Phat 3000 (ok, thats a bot name)
Lightspeed Chop Shop (warrior, thief or maybe revenant)

Honorable mention:
Aimless Pinpointer (Engineer?)

Nektu fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Oct 25, 2015

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

Well keep in mind I haven't played it yet as I've been traveling, but solely based on everything posted in this thread I'm feeling like I'm hosed as a casual player. My only hope is that Anet reverses this stupid rear end poo poo.

You know that when I agree that something isn't casual enough somethings wrong here. :lol:

E: Seriously though I think a lot of people said "gently caress it" to the new zone. I already did. I'm not going to run around with the non-existent zerg train to do 100 events to have enough mastery to be able to jump on a mushroom so my glider thingy can get caught in the wind to reach that hero point challenge.

ANet got my $50 this time, but I can tell you they've removed any desire I had left to use the gem store.

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Oct 25, 2015

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
you better heed his Quall
I feel pretty confident anet will do something about elite specs. Ideally I'd like it if they simultaneously reduced the cost of elite specs and retroactively refunded the hero points already spent on them.

Cobra-Commander
Jun 15, 2015

Baron Von Pigeon posted:

I feel pretty confident anet will do something about elite specs. Ideally I'd like it if they simultaneously reduced the cost of elite specs and retroactively refunded the hero points already spent on them.

I just play arena pvp as dragon hunter, while waiting for the elite spec pve patch to make it casual.

Mazreal
Oct 5, 2002

adjusts monocle
I'm glad they went with "Sickly Green" as the new color theme for the launcher.

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
My guardian with pre hot world completion is only the elite away from maxing dragon hunter and all it really took was gliding.

Orv
May 4, 2011

malhavok posted:

My guardian with pre hot world completion is only the elite away from maxing dragon hunter and all it really took was gliding.

Wait are you saying that like it's a good thing? You did world completion, and then only had to do another not insignificant chunk of grinding?

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

I only unlocked Dragonhunter to unlock the collection...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Orv posted:

Wait are you saying that like it's a good thing? You did world completion, and then only had to do another not insignificant chunk of grinding?

It's been two days, how is that even considered grinding? Hell most of the time I just wander around with no clue what's going on. I've managed to knock out 180 point without any maps, guides, walkthroughs or beta experience. In a day or two all this poo poo is going to be on dulfy and the only obstacle to getting your elite spec in a few hours is going to be finding a group for the champs.

• Locked thread