Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Sailor Senshi?
This poll is closed.
Sailor Moon/Usagi Tsukino 6 4.51%
Sailor Mercury/Ami Mizuno 15 11.28%
Sailor Mars/Rei Hino 23 17.29%
Sailor Jupiter/Makoto Kino 42 31.58%
Sailor Venus/Minako Aino 6 4.51%
why didnt you put the outers on here fucker 41 30.83%
Total: 133 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

cowboy bebop: good

samurai champloo: good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

those are my words on the series

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Mintergalactic posted:

those are my words on the series

Those are good and accurate words

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Tarranon posted:

Like I said it's been...Jesus 11 years since I saw the series so it's pretty murky

But I'd be interested in seeing your :words: if you have the time/inclination to share them. At the time it was released the ending wasn't very popular at all, but I'm glad to see people revisiting it all these years later.
I loved the ending then and I still love it now. I've only come to appreciate its nuances with time, but I've always liked the ending.

I should be going to bed but I'll see if I can come up with a few words for you. I won't throw them under spoiler tags though so LITTLEORV IF YOU'RE READING THIS THREAD BETWEEN EPISODES OR SOMETHING DON'T READ MY NEXT BIG WALL OF TEXT unless you're done or don't care or whatever.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!
Toki wo Koete, Dreams, and Revolution are still up on Youtube so I'm safe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BqbDO2iS_U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JQ2qD4t620
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHXoYo_YgfY

Gundam X had great OPs.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Bad Seafood posted:

I loved the ending then and I still love it now. I've only come to appreciate its nuances with time, but I've always liked the ending.

I should be going to bed but I'll see if I can come up with a few words for you. I won't throw them under spoiler tags though so LITTLEORV IF YOU'RE READING THIS THREAD BETWEEN EPISODES OR SOMETHING DON'T READ MY NEXT BIG WALL OF TEXT unless you're done or don't care or whatever.

I haven't watched Champloo so I'd appreciate it if you tagged it, but I guess I'll rev up my scroll bar.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

Vicious and Spike's relationship is fundamentally different from those between Mugen and Jin and their respective adversaries. All of them were foreshadowed in various ways and none of them needed to be physically present prior to their eventual introductions to instill the same effect.

In fact, it's actually incredibly fitting thematically that none of them show up before the final arc.

whatshisface actually fits in with stuff though

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
This is the most intense food fight I've seen.

And I'm really disappointed this line apparently isn't in the official stream.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh no, animal cruelty!

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I can't believe Caesar's mother and grandmother were both nothing more than big red dots.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Ohhhh poo poo, dog v. bird was intense! And now the final mansion, with ...nine episodes left?! oh my god this is going to be ridiculous

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Knorth posted:

Ohhhh poo poo, dog v. bird was intense! And now the final mansion, with ...nine episodes left?! oh my god this is going to be ridiculous

woof

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Knorth posted:

Man, I should remember to finish watching that. I put it off and then lost track of it since I already read the manga. You're in for quite a ride though.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Ah yes, translated Doitsu as Dutch. Sasuga Crunchyroll.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Holy gently caress those last three episodes were really good. I didn't really know what to expect but it delivered. I probably would have ended the series differently myself namely by having Jin and Mugen die in their fights but I can appreciate what they were going for. Also that song playing over the ending was really good and thematically appropriate. I am satisfied with the ending to Samurai Champloo.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Now to pick a show that will replace Champloo in my anime rotation.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Honestly I was kind of happy to have Shamploo end the way it did, instead of ending more like Cowboy Bebop.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

littleorv posted:

Just watch Gunbuster.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

The Colonel posted:

Just watch Gunbuster.

Maybe. I'm thinking about it!

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Ahhh this first fight of the mansion got silly in a way I wasn't expecting

the classic racing series, F-Mega, yes :tem:

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Just finished Usagi Drop. Now it's time to read the manga hahahahahahahahahahahahaha :shepicide:

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

littleorv posted:

Have you heard of The Irresponsible Captain Tylor?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Thanks for all the birthday wishes, chat thread. :3:

Stairmaster posted:

was lorv supposed to post this

This is a very good Tomo.

This is a very good gif.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
I want to see that gif as I die

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Thanks for all the birthday wishes, chat thread. :3:

Oh! I must have missed that. Happy birthday! :)

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

One of the central themes of Samurai Champloo (as with Cowboy Bebop) is the idea of escaping one's past. It's a pretty popular theme actually that pops up in a lot of anime if you know where to look (for differing reasons, depending on when it came out). All three of our main characters are chained to their past in different ways, as are ultimately their final adversaries. In the case of Mugen and Jin, this takes the form of their "Sins." For Fuu, instead, it's "Resentment."

Prior to the start of the series, Mugen was a pirate. He's killed for money and for loot and because he just didn't like some folks and because he got off on facing tougher opponents. No matter where he goes he's on the wrong side of the law; both sides of the law. Of course, eventually, his crimes catch up with him. Jin, likewise, was a student at a respected school. One night he killed his master, leading a number of his former classmates to come after his head. Although neither of these men have any place in particular to go, or any place in particular they were thinking of going, they continue wandering, drifting, anywhere to avoid facing their pasts head-on.

Fuu's different. Her father left when she was a child and her mother died shortly thereafter. She never forgotten her mother and never forgiven her father, and she feels like she needs to give him one good whack for mom before she can move forward with her life. Although she committed no sin (not in the same way as Jin or Mugen anyway), she feels emotionally burdened with the mistakes of her father. So she sets off on her journey, bringing these two goons along.

So the show moves along and eventually we reach the island where Fuu's father is hiding. The reason he's in hiding it turns out is because he's a Japanese Christian, one of the key members of the Shimabara Rebellion, which ends up being important in a lot of ways we'll discuss later. Fuu's father, for better or worse, is her "Adversary" that she's come all this way to challenge. Jin and Mugen's end boss engagements come in a different form. All of them are similarly tied up in the past.

Mugen's pursuers, three brothers, turn out to have formerly been merchants he screwed over during his pirating days. Mugen only ever met one of them, the eldest - you can actually see Mugen attacking him in his flashback during the Misguided Miscreants arc - but all three were punished for the loss of the shipment. They make a living now as mercenaries, and have been hunting Mugen down with the intention to kill him. The chain that binds the three of them in this case is "Revenge," and it's perfectly fitting that Mugen's never really crossed paths with them before (barring the eldest, very briefly). The idea at play here is that Mugen's actions had consequences far beyond his ability to know of them. Mugen probably never thought of himself as anything more than a simple criminal, but his crimes ended up deeply effective the lives of men he'd never met. Who else's life has he ruined without ever even knowing them? The brother's grudge against Mugen is entirely one-sided because that's the point. Mugen has no intimate relationship with them, they're just three people whose daily existence he carelessly disrupted without even thinking about it. These are the wages of his sin. Of course, in their hunt for Mugen, the brothers have become quite sinful themselves. Sin begets more sin, and the cycle continues. Although Mugen cannot be held accountable for all the damage the brothers do of their own accord, the fact remains he created the circumstances which turned them into monsters.

Jin's ultimate opponent is also someone he's never met, in this case a respected samurai and retired assassin in the employ of the Shogunate: Kagetoki Kariya, "The Hand of the Gods." It turns out Kariya's roll in Jin's life is not unlike Mugen's roll in the brothers' lives. Jin represented nothing more than a political obstacle to Kariya, so he ordered Jin's master to kill him...only for Jin to display the fruits of his training. Kariya ruined Jin's life, forcing him to kill his beloved master and live his life on the run, for political convenience. Now he's here to handle Jin personally. Kariya's deal, the chain that binds him, is "Nostalgia;" in this case nostalgia for a time before he was born. Kariya flatly tells Jin he feels nothing but enmity for this "Modern" age, and yearns for that noble world of his ancestors which now belongs to history. He was "Born in the wrong era," and so manipulates those around himself to construct a false environment to foster and cultivate his delusions of what a samurai's ideal world should be. He admits there are no lords worth serving, but he continues to do so as it allows him to spin his beautiful lie. It is only natural that a true, proper samurai would have a master to serve, no?

Fuu's father is an old man. He's dying. He fears he'll die without ever making peace with his family. His chain is "Regret." When Fuu finds him and sees him in this sorry state, she can't bring herself to hate him. Kariya shows up and announces he plans to kill her father. Before her father dies, he is able to attain some measure of absolution, expressing his true feelings to his daughter. He is freed of his regrets, then killed.

While I wouldn't say Samurai Champloo is a particularly religious show, the Christianity of Fuu's father (and possibly Fuu?) carries a certain resonance given the themes of the story. One of the core tenements of Christianity is the idea of grace, forgiveness; that your sins can be washed away. Fuu's father seeks absolution for his mistakes while Fuu herself desires an answer for her mother's suffering. Mugen and Jin do not explicitly chase forgiveness or understanding, but manage to find "Salvation" by accompanying Fuu on her journey. Mugen trades his life for Fuu's at an old abandoned church, and Jin finds someone (Not a "Lord," but hearkening back to that language) to dedicate his life to, both of which contain softly Christian parallels. Jin also offers to give up his life for Fuu's, and defeats Kariya using a technique that first requires the enemy to first pierce his side. Kariya is defeated by Jin's selflessness, while the brothers tormenting Mugen are undone by the tools of their own hatred. "He who lives by the sword dies by the sword." Meanwhile, by finding the "Father," our heroes acquire a measure of peace and absolution from the sins of the past.

It's possible I'm overthinking a few of these story beats, some of which are very universal and not explicitly tied to any specific faith or cultural tradition, but I feel it fits since the show brings up Japanese Christianity as a significant plot point at several intervals. Furthermore, Watanabe (like Oshii) is a director whose work is rife with references to Western culture and civilization (references he's never been afraid to wear on his sleeve), so it wouldn't surprise me to learn he did some digging and found some ideas he felt like incorporating.

In any case, what matters here is Mugen and Jin are freed from their shackles of the past by their own selflessness towards and friendship with Fuu, escaping their prisons of selfish isolationism, no longer having to live in fear of age-old mistakes. The two make a clean break from their past, symbolized by breaking their swords against one another's. Our three friends then recover and move forward with their lives, splitting up as the reach a crossroads. Fuu admits the whole thing was kicked off by a scam, but nobody bares anybody any ill will for it. They smile and go their separate ways, since each of us has our own future to attend to. Maybe they'll cross paths again sometime. Maybe they won't. Regardless, for the first time in all three of their lives, they're all looking forward instead of behind.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Oct 25, 2015

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
ah, I'm humbled that you'd take the time to write something so carefully considered for a stranger. I took my time with, it was a great read.

Although I still can't remember much of the ending I agree that your interpretation is thematically consistent with what I recall. And even at the time the series' use of Christian iconography and invoking Christianity as a plot point stood out to me. While it's historically relevant for the time champloo takes place, the amount of attention it receives is greater than honestly any other anime I can think of. So I don't think you're off base at all approaching the text from a theological perspective. From a certain perspective all religion is myth, and what's myth if not stories about who we are and where we've come from.

If nothing else I think I will aim to rewatch the series again. Thanks again for the write up.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Bad Seafood posted:

One of the central themes of Samurai Champloo (as with Cowboy Bebop) is the idea of escaping one's past. It's a pretty popular theme actually that pops up in a lot of anime if you know where to look (for differing reasons, depending on when it came out). All three of our main characters are chained to their past in different ways, as are ultimately their final adversaries. In the case of Mugen and Jin, this takes the form of their "Sins." For Fuu, instead, it's "Resentment."

Prior to the start of the series, Mugen was a pirate. He's killed for money and for loot and because he just didn't like some folks and because he got off on facing tougher opponents. No matter where he goes he's on the wrong side of the law; both sides of the law. Of course, eventually, his crimes catch up with him. Jin, likewise, was a student at a respected school. One night he killed his master, leading a number of his former classmates to come after his head. Although neither of these men have any place in particular to go, or any place in particular they were thinking of going, they continue wandering, drifting, anywhere to avoid facing their pasts head-on.

Fuu's different. Her father left when she was a child and her mother died shortly thereafter. She never forgotten her mother and never forgiven her father, and she feels like she needs to give him one good whack for mom before she can move forward with her life. Although she committed no sin (not in the same way as Jin or Mugen anyway), she feels emotionally burdened with the mistakes of her father. So she sets off on her journey, bringing these two goons along.

So the show moves along and eventually we reach the island where Fuu's father is hiding. The reason he's in hiding it turns out is because he's a Japanese Christian, one of the key members of the Shimabara Rebellion, which ends up being important in a lot of ways we'll discuss later. Fuu's father, for better or worse, is her "Adversary" that she's come all this way to challenge. Jin and Mugen's end boss engagements come in a different form. All of them are similarly tied up in the past.

Mugen's pursuers, three brothers, turn out to have formerly been merchants he screwed over during his pirating days. Mugen only ever met one of them, the eldest - you can actually see Mugen attacking him in his flashback during the Misguided Miscreants arc - but all three were punished for the loss of the shipment. They make a living now as mercenaries, and have been hunting Mugen down with the intention to kill him. The chain that binds the three of them in this case is "Revenge," and it's perfectly fitting that Mugen's never really crossed paths with them before (barring the eldest, very briefly). The idea at play here is that Mugen's actions had consequences far beyond his ability to know of them. Mugen probably never thought of himself as anything more than a simple criminal, but his crimes ended up deeply effective the lives of men he'd never met. Who else's life has he ruined without ever even knowing them? The brother's grudge against Mugen is entirely one-sided because that's the point. Mugen has no intimate relationship with them, they're just three people whose daily existence he carelessly disrupted without even thinking about it. These are the wages of his sin. Of course, in their hunt for Mugen, the brothers have become quite sinful themselves. Sin begets more sin, and the cycle continues. Although Mugen cannot be held accountable for all the damage the brothers do of their own accord, the fact remains he created the circumstances which turned them into monsters.

Jin's ultimate opponent is also someone he's never met, in this case a respected samurai and retired assassin in the employ of the Shogunate: Kagetoki Kariya, "The Hand of the Gods." It turns out Kariya's roll in Jin's life is not unlike Mugen's roll in the brothers' lives. Jin represented nothing more than a political obstacle to Kariya, so he ordered Jin's master to kill him...only for Jin to display the fruits of his training. Kariya ruined Jin's life, forcing him to kill his beloved master and live his life on the run, for political convenience. Now he's here to handle Jin personally. Kariya's deal, the chain that binds him, is "Nostalgia;" in this case nostalgia for a time before he was born. Kariya flatly tells Jin he feels nothing but enmity for this "Modern" age, and yearns for that noble world of his ancestors which now belongs to history. He was "Born in the wrong era," and so manipulates those around himself to construct a false environment to foster and cultivate his delusions of what a samurai's ideal world should be. He admits there are no lords worth serving, but he continues to do so as it allows him to spin his beautiful lie. It is only natural that a true, proper samurai would have a master to serve, no?

Fuu's father is an old man. He's dying. He fears he'll die without ever making peace with his family. His chain is "Regret." When Fuu finds him and sees him in this sorry state, she can't bring herself to hate him. Kariya shows up and announces he plans to kill her father. Before her father dies, he is able to attain some measure of absolution, expressing his true feelings to his daughter. He is freed of his regrets, then killed.

While I wouldn't say Samurai Champloo is a particularly religious show, the Christianity of Fuu's father (and possibly Fuu?) carries a certain resonance given the themes of the story. One of the core tenements of Christianity is the idea of grace, forgiveness; that your sins can be washed away. Fuu's father seeks absolution for his mistakes while Fuu herself desires an answer for her mother's suffering. Mugen and Jin do not explicitly chase forgiveness or understanding, but manage to find "Salvation" by accompanying Fuu on her journey. Mugen trades his life for Fuu's at an old abandoned church, and Jin finds someone (Not a "Lord," but hearkening back to that language) to dedicate his life to, both of which contain softly Christian parallels. Jin also offers to give up his life for Fuu's, and defeats Kariya using a technique that first requires the enemy to first pierce his side. Kariya is defeated by Jin's selflessness, while the brothers tormenting Mugen are undone by the tools of their own hatred. "He who lives by the sword dies by the sword." Meanwhile, by finding the "Father," our heroes acquire a measure of peace and absolution from the sins of the past.

It's possible I'm overthinking a few of these story beats, some of which are very universal and not explicitly tied to any specific faith or cultural tradition, but I feel it fits since the show brings up Japanese Christianity as a significant plot point at several intervals. Furthermore, Watanabe (like Oshii) is a director whose work is rife with references to Western culture and civilization (references he's never been afraid to wear on his sleeve), so it wouldn't surprise me to learn he did some digging and found some ideas he felt like incorporating.

In any case, what matters here is Mugen and Jin are freed from their shackles of the past by their own selflessness towards and friendship with Fuu, escaping their prisons of selfish isolationism, no longer having to live in fear of age-old mistakes. The two make a clean break from their past, symbolized by breaking their swords against one another's. Our three friends then recover and move forward with their lives, splitting up as the reach a crossroads. Fuu admits the whole thing was kicked off by a scam, but nobody bares anybody any ill will for it. They smile and go their separate ways, since each of us has our own future to attend to. Maybe they'll cross paths again sometime. Maybe they won't. Regardless, for the first time in all three of their lives, they're all looking forward instead of behind.

These are some good words for a good anime

I look forward to the inevitable simulwatch :)

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Time to move the page away from that before I accidentally read something important.

I love the shounen version of sports and how every incredibly minor thing is this huge momentous special technique..

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
* reading subs 'Come in, Cool Ice'

Huh that's a pretty silly name

* hears Dio say the line

:tem: :dies:

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Reds posted:

I love the shounen version of sports and how every incredibly minor thing is this huge momentous special technique..

:yeah:

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
do Japanese people just not hug or something what is going on with this persona game!

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
This guy can pedal standing up!! :tem: Oh my god!

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Tarranon posted:

do Japanese people just not hug or something what is going on with this persona game!

To be fair, hugging is not that prevalent worldwide AFAIK. The only place hugging would be applicable is the P3P MC and her lady friends (if you chose correctly!).

Knorth posted:

Oh! I must have missed that. Happy birthday! :)

Thanks! :)

Reds posted:

To be fair, you'd react like that to someone getting back up after a serious fall if you were personally invested in their success.

I'm more bothered by the dudes standing up in the back of the car, though.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Oct 25, 2015

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Tarranon posted:

ah, I'm humbled that you'd take the time to write something so carefully considered for a stranger. I took my time with, it was a great read.

Although I still can't remember much of the ending I agree that your interpretation is thematically consistent with what I recall. And even at the time the series' use of Christian iconography and invoking Christianity as a plot point stood out to me. While it's historically relevant for the time champloo takes place, the amount of attention it receives is greater than honestly any other anime I can think of. So I don't think you're off base at all approaching the text from a theological perspective. From a certain perspective all religion is myth, and what's myth if not stories about who we are and where we've come from.

If nothing else I think I will aim to rewatch the series again. Thanks again for the write up.
Who we are, where we've come from, why we're here, and where we're going.

There are a handful of anime that deall with Christian themes and ideas (beyond just borrowing Christian iconography) in a manner similar to Samurai Champloo. Angel's Egg is one, a film by the aforementioned Oshii. Although it can be interpreted as a general commentary on faith and religion, it uses a lot of explicitly Christian cultural touchstones and images, and Oshii himself was allegedly raised Catholic. It's honestly a film I'd advise everyone to watch once, regardless of their religious leanings. It's the only "Religious" film I can think of that flirts between faith and doubt without being discourteous to either side of the equation.

I guess there's also Trigun, though strangely enough the anime feels moreso than the manga, which is funny since Nightow himself converted to Christianity so you'd think it'd be the other way around.

Knorth posted:

These are some good words for a good anime

I look forward to the inevitable simulwatch :)
Soon.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Knorth posted:

* hears Dio say the line

I am forever grateful VIZ managed to obtain the rights to use Vanilla Ice's name in their printing of the manga.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Bad Seafood posted:

A whole lot of words

This was a good read thanks. It's too late at night for me to properly respond to this but I just thought I would show my appreciation for it before going to sleep.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Knorth posted:

* hears Dio say the line

I can't remember, how long is it from his introduction until his fight?

Orv, thank you for not quoting the entire post.

Reds fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Oct 25, 2015

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Reds posted:

It's the best and I love it a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Reds posted:

I can't remember, how long is it from his introduction until his fight?

Orv, thank you for not quoting the entire post.

Like ten minutes, unless he was introduced earlier and I just missed it

• Locked thread