Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Alkydere posted:

Also, in the well mission Saltzpyre cracks a couple lame well puns. Bardin groans.

He's not trying to be funny, he's trying out new ways to torture them all. And succeeding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

On seeing the whole town on fire on the rooftops in Horn, Saltzpyre: "...This is worse than I thought. And we all know *I* can paint a grim picture!"

Dude is completely aware of how he is.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Night10194 posted:

On seeing the whole town on fire on the rooftops in Horn, Saltzpyre: "...This is worse than I thought. And we all know *I* can paint a grim picture!"

Dude is completely aware of how he is.

Saltzpyre is great. One of my favorite lines of his is when you arrive at the base of the Tower of Magnus he quips "That must be the tower, or I'm a heretic!"

He's pretty laid back as far as Witch Hunters go :v:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Saltzpyre is great. One of my favorite lines of his is when you arrive at the base of the Tower of Magnus he quips "That must be the tower, or I'm a heretic!"

He's pretty laid back as far as Witch Hunters go :v:

That's literally part of his backstory. Other than having a massive hangup on the Skaven that other witch hunters find absolutely baffling he's incredibly chill (for a hunter) and it drives the other hunters nuts. In the story the reason he's got the Bright Wizard as his prisoner isn't because he HATES MAGIC, it's because he actually has solid reason to suspect her for murder of a merchant and is bringing her to a trial.

And then Skaven happen.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
What counts as a man-sized target in this game? I'm sure that includes all the standard Skaven, but does this also include all the specials (except rat ogres) or only some, what about Storm Vermin? This is important as it decides if my '17% chance for insta-kill on normal attack against man sized target' dual daggers are total trash or acceptable.

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

I hate to spoil the ending, but...some stuff gets eaten, y'know?
Went through a lot of the campaign tonight with a buddy and a couple bots on normal difficulty to get a feel for the maps. I'm loving the new ones.

Completed Wheat and Chaff (Normal) after a few tries. The Rat Ogre seems to spawn when you first get a wheat bag near the wagon. I'm not sure if this is the case all the time or just some. So instead of doing the Payday 2 thing, we purposefully rushed our first shipment of wheat to the wagon and took the rat ogre when we had full health. Seemed to work for us. The rest of the level was pretty manageable, as long as we didn't let the specials pile up.

We stopped on the White Rat, as I'm now too tired to see the rapier crosshairs. Maybe I can get that done tomorrow.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Feindfeuer posted:

What counts as a man-sized target in this game? I'm sure that includes all the standard Skaven, but does this also include all the specials (except rat ogres) or only some, what about Storm Vermin? This is important as it decides if my '17% chance for insta-kill on normal attack against man sized target' dual daggers are total trash or acceptable.

Even if it counts only for normal Skaven, almost every 1 out of every 5 hits will insta-kill and although I don't play the class I can only assume the daggers attack incredibly fast. You can probably tell the difference between fighting off a horde with those daggers vs. another pair.

Alkydere posted:

That's literally part of his backstory. Other than having a massive hangup on the Skaven that other witch hunters find absolutely baffling he's incredibly chill (for a hunter) and it drives the other hunters nuts. In the story the reason he's got the Bright Wizard as his prisoner isn't because he HATES MAGIC, it's because he actually has solid reason to suspect her for murder of a merchant and is bringing her to a trial.

And then Skaven happen.

I enjoy the pseudo-hostile teasing that goes on between them. Er, between all of the characters, really.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Feindfeuer posted:

My guesses is that counts for all non-Rogre enemies, but that's only a guess. Even the Storm Vermin are generally shorter than the (non-dorf) characters. There's a pretty big difference between Rogre and everything else so I feel it's a reasonable guess.

Of course, no one ever said game devs had to be reasonable.

Dvsilverwing posted:

Even if it counts only for normal Skaven, almost every 1 out of every 5 hits will insta-kill and although I don't play the class I can only assume the daggers attack incredibly fast. You can probably tell the difference between fighting off a horde with those daggers vs. another pair.

They do go super fast. Mine go even faster as I have a berserker rune on mine which give me a chance to get even more swing speed on kill.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Alkydere posted:

They do go super fast. Mine go even faster as I have a berserker rune on mine which give me a chance to get even more swing speed on kill.

Yeah, so that combined with I guess the non-ability to OHK normally would make it a pretty decent item set.

Also Krieger Pistols are pretty neat. Auto-headshot % is nice, even though they OHK non-specials on a body shot anyway, a lot more useful on the pistols than a rifle anyway.

Edit: I guess auto-headshot may be useful on Cata difficulty even though I've not played it. Apparently ranged weapons don't OHK in that.

Night10194 posted:

Regrowth on a sword and dagger for the elf rolled a 4% chance for normal attacks. It helps so much for mitigating those few times you gently caress up and get scratched by a clanrat.

Speaking of this, I have a 7.5% chance to heal on my blue 2H Hammer for the Soldier. That thing loving destroys hordes with the charged AOE sweep, but is it a 7.5% chance to heal for every enemy I hit, or just on a swing that hits anything?

Dvsilverwing fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Oct 25, 2015

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Regrowth on a sword and dagger for the elf rolled a 4% chance for normal attacks. It helps so much for mitigating those few times you gently caress up and get scratched by a clanrat.

Also, once you get used to having to block after a combo and stick and move like you're using the WH's rapier, the sword and dagger has become one of my favorite elf melee weapons.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Magni posted:

Also, he's got an epic hat and is a grumpy, sarcastic rear end in a top hat all the way through. Except during the Wizard's Tower, where he's a grumpy, sarcastic, angry rear end in a top hat because he's just loving done with all this wizard bullshit. :haw:

I had no idea what the others were talking about in the shrine thingy because to me it just looked like a boring root tree thing. I mean a nice garden to chill in but w/e.

Then someone I was playing with pointed out that of course it looked boring to me, I'm a witch hunter and couldn't be assed to see the illusion. :v:

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
is wheat and chaff meant to big a big sack of bullshit or is this maybe a touch overtuned? even on normal it's been undoable so far, so many stormvermin and hordes. thanks for spawning a rat ogre on us during the intro cutscene too :thumbsup:

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Kitfox88 posted:

I had no idea what the others were talking about in the shrine thingy because to me it just looked like a boring root tree thing. I mean a nice garden to chill in but w/e.

Then someone I was playing with pointed out that of course it looked boring to me, I'm a witch hunter and couldn't be assed to see the illusion. :v:

It's like a slave pen with torture devices that are empty like there is no heretics to occupy them. It shows everyone their ideal place doesn't it? Like the Bright Wizard sees a burning market and stuff.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Holy poo poo, Engines of War hates the group I was just in.

We got to the bridge, and it spawned a Rat Ogre RIGHT ON loving TOP OF US (like it fell down from the loving trees) which then INSTANTLY punted three of us clear off the cliffs and to our death, leaving the elf to die horribly. We restarted, and in the first loving intersection it spawns a Stormvermin patrol and two gas rats. We killed one gas rat, and it immediately spawned another while both of them are basically spamming globes non-stop such that we can't see where we're going and we get wrecked. Then we restart, and we get a loving Ogre at the same loving spot and wipe. Then we restart, get all the way to the DOOMWHEELS and then loving get two gutters, two packmasters, a gas rat, AND a horde as soon as we drop down.

It was the funniest poo poo ever, and I loved it. We couldn't even be MAD, it was like we had pissed off the code itself and it was having its revenge. :allears:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The bonus that can kill instantly on hit seems to work of the bell chains and similar static objects.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Dvsilverwing posted:

I enjoy the pseudo-hostile teasing that goes on between them. Er, between all of the characters, really.

Dual daggers are pretty amazing with proc based stuff, 17% instant kill chance is kinda insane.

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

Anyone else having trouble with the mumble overlay not working in Vermintide? It works with literally any other game I play.

Maybe it is because of there stupid forced launcher?

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

Stormgale posted:

Dual daggers are pretty amazing with proc based stuff, 17% instant kill chance is kinda insane.

daggers and dagger x sword definitely my favorite melee setup as far as waywatcher goes. If only the game would give me blue daggerxsword.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Does anyone know if there's anywhere someones collected all the dialogue? I tried looking on youtube, but no luck there yet.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
started doing nightmare sewer runs. Its pretty easy can be done with competent pubs. Loot rolls still suck rear end for met hough.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Al Borland posted:

started doing nightmare sewer runs. Its pretty easy can be done with competent pubs. Loot rolls still suck rear end for met hough.

what kinda gear you gotta rock for that poo poo

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

Onkel Hedwig posted:

Anyone else having trouble with the mumble overlay not working in Vermintide? It works with literally any other game I play.

Maybe it is because of there stupid forced launcher?

If you have it on steam there is an option to run it without the launcher

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Faffel posted:

what kinda gear you gotta rock for that poo poo

A brain.

Literally just be smart, stay in corners when you pull the wench, don't run ahead without your team, go the right routes to pick up the most bombs and str potions. also don't use your guns unless absolutely necessary.

Sewers is one of the easiest and fastest things to run, as long as you don't run into a Rat ogre without no bombs at the start which happens about 1/5 attempts you can finish it with 0 issues.

E:

Right now my biggest issue is finding some other brains to run it with me. :smith: no one is on LFG. I've done nightmare runs successfully with just myself and 2 others plus a bot.

Al Borland fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Oct 25, 2015

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
If you're running sidemissions for loot, just do Black Powder on Nightmare (switch to Cataclysm once you've got the strategy down). Each run takes maybe 3-5 minutes. Only problem is it heavily depends on luck, as getting stormvermin in the first spawn can gently caress you over since everyone is split up.

I ran through cataclysm maybe 10 times last night. Got a single orange, everything else was green or white. Yes, white on cataclysm. :suicide:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Had a rat Ogre spawn out in the woods, we were flipping out trying to find it but eventually ~ventured forth~ to grab a tome/grimoire, a couple of minutes later we spot it off it off in the distance stuck on a rope-bridge where we could safely shoot it to death because we were right next to an ammo chest.

Unrelated, but we need this gal (or rather, her voice actress) to represent Kislev/Ice Sorcery. That introduction line, drat :allears:

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Alkydere posted:

Are the daggers actually good? I got a pair of daggers with berserk on them.

Daggers are easily the best for single target damage (they can also headshot) and are the fastest as gently caress but suck for any time the horde gets on you. That's why I prefer sword+dagger, still quite fast and do quite a bit of damage, still quite fast and damage heavy but can target multiple rats AND still gets the headshot ability.

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Lucked into finishing wheat and chaff on normal despite having yet another rambo dwarf running off on his own constantly. really dont look forward to this on hard+

But managed a three tome two grim clear twice over on horn so getting better. First flame sword drops, chance to vent overcharge on hit and bloodlust :getin:

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits

Dvsilverwing posted:

You're right, they certainly kill a lot faster than the normal daggers, still not sure about storm vermin as everyone focuses them as soon as they pop up, but even if it doesn't work against them, the additional 5% chance for 5% heal on the daggers is well worth it thanks to the fast attack speed. First blue I am really happy with.

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

Pitdragon posted:

If you have it on steam there is an option to run it without the launcher

Thanks, but that did not work. On another note: Do you know how to make a desktop shortcut that skips the launcher? If I try to run the .exe directly I get an error.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Moor's Garden is hands-down the best map in the game. Here's why:

Skeletons.

Every nook and cranny of this map has been stuffed with bones, or bone-related imagery:

Big bones

Little bones

Even bones that wave hello

Skeletons that tell a story:

High-density skull storage units:

Skull-gates:

Even skele-animals are present, if that floats your boat:

Between this and Undertale, 2015 has proven to be a very good year for skeleton-representation in videogames.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Onkel Hedwig posted:

Thanks, but that did not work. On another note: Do you know how to make a desktop shortcut that skips the launcher? If I try to run the .exe directly I get an error.

What do you mean it didn't work? What happens when you click play on Steam? It should open a window that lets you choose between something like 'Start launcher' and 'Start game and skip launcher'.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Guessing he means the overlay still doesn't work. I tried the same thing, no dice.

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

Yeah, it did not work either way.

I found some older posts about launching the game directly (Warhammer End Times Vermintide\binaries\vermintide.exe) to skip the launcher. I guess that at some point in the beta this actually worked, but if I try that now I get a really big error message: "Game data not found. Are you missing command line parameters? File does not exists: settings.ini" and then some kind of stack trace.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

There are also a ton of cool paintings of skeletons in the wizard's tower map. Big skeleton with an axe, huge army of skeletons on fire, one of a skeleton hanging from a tree.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I've finally managed to download that monster 19gb patch, and now the game is popping up this message:

quote:

Corrupt game data in block: 0, size: 0.
Error: -5.
Try reinstalling the game.

Verifying the game cache results in all files good, and I'll be hosed if I'm downloading 22gb again because it can't detect what's wrong. Anyone else encountered this problem and found a solution? In the meanwhile, I'll try moving all the game files out, initializing a download, and then moving them back in.

Nevermind, got it working. If you experience the same, go to the bundle folder in Vermintide's directory, and delete all files with "patch0" or whatever in their names.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Oct 25, 2015

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

ChickenHeart posted:

Moor's Garden is hands-down the best map in the game. Here's why:

Skeletons.

Every nook and cranny of this map has been stuffed with bones, or bone-related imagery:

Big bones

Little bones

Even bones that wave hello

Skeletons that tell a story:

High-density skull storage units:

Skull-gates:

Even skele-animals are present, if that floats your boat:

Between this and Undertale, 2015 has proven to be a very good year for skeleton-representation in videogames.

quoting this to be in OP.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Is this game in maintenance right now or something? I just got it and whenever I try and run it I get a back end error. I tried verifying my cache and stuff and most posts I see online about the error don't have solutions so I'm not sure where the problem lies, with my computer or their servers.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
It is amazingly funny how bomb-bait-y stormvermin patrols are. I was playing a public game last night, none of us on voice comms or anything, when a stormvermin patrol shows up in the distance. Simultaneously, in perfect syncrhonization, four bombs go flying out towards them.

Question. Has anybody managed to get any use out of the soldier's shotgun? I want to like it, but the Harqebus is just way too good at sniping specials.

TacMan
Aug 8, 2002

Vert used Hyperbeam,
It's super effective!

:steam: El Mole :steam:

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Is this game in maintenance right now or something? I just got it and whenever I try and run it I get a back end error. I tried verifying my cache and stuff and most posts I see online about the error don't have solutions so I'm not sure where the problem lies, with my computer or their servers.

So that this post isn't one word, yes, it is. ~45 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

TacMan posted:

So that this post isn't one word, yes, it is. ~45 minutes.

Thanks, their twitter page didn't say anything and I don't know how to see their maintenance schedule

• Locked thread