Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JNCO BILOBA
Nov 22, 2005

Sizone posted:

Will you guys give me my 30$ back if you're wrong?

e: let me put it this way, have you Gadget proponents made any music with it?

I made three songs just this weekend with it. My first time. Songs 1, 2, and 4.

https://soundcloud.com/somethingwithturquoise/sets/create-new

By far the best I've used on iOS, I combine it with Cubasis for relatively easy demos.

JNCO BILOBA fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Aug 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

Tayter Swift posted:

What Gadget excels at is as a prototyping tool. It's real easy to fire it up, get an appropriate synth

Yeah, my problem is probably just that I have a hard time finding something "appropriate". Like, would a good sampled piano have been too much to ask?

Maybe I just need to play more and I'll learn to hear the sounds I'm missing.

Is the addon pack worth it? I see that that's on sale right now.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Korg Module is a piano app that turns into a Gadget, and it's ten bucks off right now. I don't have it (don't really see the iPad as ideal for sampled instruments) so I can't vouch.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

I agree with the general point that the iPad isn't great for sampled instruments (mostly due to lack of storage space / bandwidth) but pianos are the one thing that you have to either nail your synthesis of or sample, to me.

Didn't know that Module was specifically a piano app , I'll check it out.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I just use iM1 because fukit, house music forever.

I bought a hardware Roland D-50 from 1987 the other week. The piano on that thing... isn't.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Dessert Rose posted:

I agree with the general point that the iPad isn't great for sampled instruments (mostly due to lack of storage space / bandwidth) but pianos are the one thing that you have to either nail your synthesis of or sample, to me.

Didn't know that Module was specifically a piano app , I'll check it out.

Module is a combined piano/organ/epiano app that integrates into gadget

Stabbing Spork
Apr 9, 2006
I use Gadget with a Keith McMillen QuNexus through the camera connection adapter and it works perfectly. Having velocity sensitive keys makes the synths a lot more fun, and expressive to use.
If Gadget also just recorded from a mic input, it would be perfect for me.

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

I don't know if this strictly belongs here but what's the best metronome for iOS? I'd like one that can do odd time signatures too

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more

Tayter Swift posted:

Gadget is the best music app on iOS, bar none.

gadget is one of the best drum apps available atm (being able to do triplets is apparently some sort of dark art), but the best music app is samplr imo

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

UncleBlazer posted:

I don't know if this strictly belongs here but what's the best metronome for iOS? I'd like one that can do odd time signatures too

I've liked Tempo Adv since I can make it go from like 90 to 250 BPM every 4 bars or whatever for practicing speed. It does odd time signatures and poly rhythms too.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Samplr is so good it's insane

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

Samplr is amazing.

Gave gadget a bit more effort & watched some videos and yeah it's super awesome as long as you don't try to rathole on sound design. Which is something I've needed encouragement to stop doing, as good sound design hardly matters when you can't put together a decent three minute arrangement consistently.

Also, the K-Board (stripped down QuNexus) is pretty great, though I'm sad there's no scale lock for external MIDI controllers in Gadget. Still really good!

JNCO BILOBA
Nov 22, 2005

UncleBlazer posted:

I use Tempo for its simplicity when I teach and Pro Metronome for gigs or trying to do odd things for practice.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Samplr is so good it's insane

Can't be stressed enough. Everybody always talks about the great synth apps on the iPad, but there are some amazing samplefuckery apps out there that I just love.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

there are apps that do what samplr does better tho, samplr just combines all the essentials well.

for instance, abu dhabi / egoist is a more in-depth slicer/arpeggiator, idensity is a more flexible implementation of granular synthesis than samplr's ebow, etc.

however, i usually end up recording the output of either of those apps into samplr in the end anyway so i can gently caress with it more easily. i would love it if a fictional samplr 2.0 brought in those features from other apps tho.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
Does the Lightning camera connector USB adaptor work with iPad Air 2? I tried one that didn't work, but I'm not sure if it was just faulty. Alternatively are there any audio docks out for the Air 2? I can't seem to find any.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

There are certain interfaces branded as MFI (made for iOS) which would interface properly with your iPad. Some other interfaces will work regardless using the camera kit but I'm not sure what DAW app you will need to make that happen.

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Definitely getting a lot of hype on the blogs this weekend, so I'm going to add to it and say Patterning is worth :10bux:

Fantastic drum sequencer.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

Argh I'm so close to duct taping scale lock onto Gadget.

It works in ThumbJam, and TJ has pretty good MIDI routing capabilities, so I'm able to route the output of TJ into Gadget. So I can hit keys on my keyboard and have the scale imposed on them, played through Gadget. But I also hear the original notes played by Gadget too. There isn't a way to turn off individual MIDI ports from inside Gadget, so I think I'm stuck.

Anyone have ideas? Would midimux help me here? It seems like it might but I don't want to blow $7 to find out it doesn't.

JNCO BILOBA
Nov 22, 2005

Patterning is instant fun in a similar way to samplr

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Has anyone ITT used a Line6 Mobile In? Is it just my input devices or is this thing just super quiet or something :/

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

Tayter Swift posted:

Gadget is the best music app on iOS, bar none.

Figure comes close, for the "do a quick 3 minute jam while riding the subway" factor.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Loopy has been crushing my subway jams for a while. (With figure ofc)

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I see the only time Borderlands Granular was mentioned here was three years ago. That is shameful. It is sweet as all hell and y'all should get down with dat granular sickness

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

I see the only time Borderlands Granular was mentioned here was three years ago. That is shameful. It is sweet as all hell and y'all should get down with dat granular sickness

iPad only FWIW.. drat just went up in price too

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

https://www.ableton.com/en/link/

ableton designed a new synchronization technology that doesn't rely on midi clock and it works between ios devices without live.

gonna be seriously cool. it can work over wireless because it isn't sending an actual clock, it just sends the song position and tempo, so there isn't a bunch of data constantly being sent to play in time.

SineRider
Oct 10, 2012

Come on die young

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

This app is totally awesome. Picked it up a couple days ago after you mentioned it here. Only issue with it is importing audio has to be done with an external app that cost another 3 bucks. But whatever, it's worth it in the end.

Made a little jam using it with my OP-1 and Flashback Triple Delay. It makes awesome pads and droney type sounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWvFmJw88VA

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

iMaschine 2 is out, half off until December ($5), and a bundle of every iMaschine 1 pack is on sale for a buck during the same time.

It adds features like an actual step sequencer, color coding pads, chord, arp, and scale effects on samplers, and scenes so you can actually sketch out a song. 3D Touch is in there too.

It's definitely my favorite sketch pad for my iPhone and this is a huge upgrade. It actually works great on a 6s+, even finger drumming is pretty nice on a screen of this size.

The amount of content you get for that extra dollar is mind-blowing, too. Like 30 packs that used to be two bucks.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Virsyn just released an iPad version of their Poseidon VST and it's :10bux: .

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2015/11/09/virsyn-releases-poseidon-synth-for-ipad/

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
The coolest thing about imaschine is that you can use it to build sets for a maschine. Depending on what you use it for, iMPC is a better app in many ways. For $6 you have enough material to make several albums though - that's what made imaschine 2 an instabuy for me.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

bad day posted:

The coolest thing about imaschine is that you can use it to build sets for a maschine. Depending on what you use it for, iMPC is a better app in many ways. For $6 you have enough material to make several albums though - that's what made imaschine 2 an instabuy for me.

iMPC is iPad-only. The fact that iMaschine runs on my gigantophone is a huge selling point to me. If I have an iPad I'll probably be using Gadget.

I wish it had MIDI and Audiobus support, though. And would it have killed them to put one reverb in there? There are so many empty slots in that effects list.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Some mighty sweet pre-Black Friday deals here (crossposted in synth thread):

http://discchord.com/blog/2015/11/2...-wednesday.html

This list has already changed between Tuesday and Wednesday so expect several refreshes over the next two days, and probably on Cyber Monday(ugh) too.

If history repeats itself and we get lucky you can expect to see all of the Korg apps on that list come Friday.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Moog (66% off) and Virsyn (50% off) apps are now on sale.

Firo is free (normally $20).

Lotsa other new discounted apps too. Just, like, quadrupled the size of my virtual "rack" while watching football.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Galileo is slightly on sale and is a pretty nice organ program if you need an organ.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Thanks but I've already got an amazing organ. :smugdog:

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
TWPS

Tonewheel penis simulator

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

TC-11 is $15 off (only $9.99)
TC-Data is $10 off (only $9.99)

Basically buy both of them for and you got TC-11 for free. :)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Korg apps and expansions are all 50% off until December 28.

lord funk posted:

TC-11 is $15 off (only $9.99)
TC-Data is $10 off (only $9.99)

Basically buy both of them for and you got TC-11 for free. :)

You're so dope right now.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

I can't decide if I want to get an iElectribe to jam along to, or a TC-11 to solo and accompany with. I've never done any synth production, I'd be looking for something that I could just plug into a mixer in a live situation.
Also, I've been sitting on a PreSonus AudioBox iTwo for going on a year now and need to find a way to patch the tracking together with other projects so I could start making mobile projects a-la "The Fall." Hence why I'd be interested in a beat machine and a nice, smooth synth.

Jeff Goldblum fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Nov 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Jeff Goldblum posted:

I can't decide if I want to get an iElectribe to jam along to, or a TC-11 to solo and accompany with. I've never done any synth production, I'd be looking for something that I could just plug into a mixer in a live situation.
Also, I've been sitting on a PreSonus AudioBox iTwo for going on a year now and need to find a way to patch the tracking together with other projects so I could start making mobile projects a-la "The Fall." Hence why I'd be interested in a beat machine and a nice, smooth synth.

You sound like you could use a Gadget.

• Locked thread