Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

You can print out a set of 10 randomly generated codes on google's website in case you lose your phone or whatever.

Right, but those are safely hidden away at home. I wouldn't have them on me when I'm away.

Edit: though I now remember that I set my parents' home phone as a backup device, so I can either use that phone or have them relay the authentication code to me.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Oct 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

So SwiftKey released a new beta today and one of the big new features is the "double word prediction". What's strange is that I've been seeing double word prediction for a couple weeks now, since, at least, the last beta. At first I thought they were saying they'd pushed the feature to the stable build, but that's not the case. Weird. Regardless, the new double predictions are pretty cool.

https://blog.swiftkey.com/swiftkey-for-android-new-beta-brings-raft-of-new-features/

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

XIII posted:

So SwiftKey released a new beta today and one of the big new features is the "double word prediction". What's strange is that I've been seeing double word prediction for a couple weeks now, since, at least, the last beta. At first I thought they were saying they'd pushed the feature to the stable build, but that's not the case. Weird. Regardless, the new double predictions are pretty cool.

https://blog.swiftkey.com/swiftkey-for-android-new-beta-brings-raft-of-new-features/

I wish flow wasn't so god awful compared to swype's because I think they have a much better prediction engine than swype does (for tap typing).

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I've said it repeatedly, but their swipe input is "good enough" for me. I tap 90% of what I write and throw in a few swipes here and there. Like, I mostly swipe quick words like "in" or "only". Things that would normally be typed with one thumb with the occasional longer word (like I just swiped longer for some reason). It's definitely not as good as Swype, but I've gotten so used to blending the two I can't switch. Fleksy is a loving killer tap based keyboard, but I can't use it because I'm too used to swiping every third word.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

XIII posted:

So if I'm on SwiftKey 5.4, do I switch to 6 or to Neural alpha right now?

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001

f#a# posted:

Wallpapers
Watch out for device permissions when installing anything not listed here. This category has a high concentration of malware.
  • Tapet: procedural material design wallpapers.

Well, that was one of the quickest turnarounds from "try" to "in-app purchase" for me. I love supporting thoughtfully made stuff like this.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

XIII posted:

I've said it repeatedly, but their swipe input is "good enough" for me. I tap 90% of what I write and throw in a few swipes here and there. Like, I mostly swipe quick words like "in" or "only". Things that would normally be typed with one thumb with the occasional longer word (like I just swiped longer for some reason). It's definitely not as good as Swype, but I've gotten so used to blending the two I can't switch. Fleksy is a loving killer tap based keyboard, but I can't use it because I'm too used to swiping every third word.

The problem is that their swipe input doesn't learn. Like it will literally never adjust the outcome of the same curve even if the word is wrong 100% of the time. The other big problem is that there's no mechanism for "drawing" double letters (in swype an extra twirl of any kind on the letter does this), so words like "too" are impossible to swipe consistently.

I was really excited when they initially added swipe support because as mentioned, their prediction is way better, but it's just been a big letdown since release.

To make it even worse, swype sucks for tap typing. I'm really amazed that that gap hasn't been bridged by one of them (or someone else) in the last ~3 years.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

XIII posted:

Yea see I'm the opposite. I do 90% of my typing in swipe format.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I'm looking for a good to do list. If would like one that could have multiple lusts, one for work, one for personal. It would be even cooler if it could use location tracking to automatically change which is default.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

vyst posted:

Yea see I'm the opposite. I do 90% of my typing in swipe format.

I'll throw another opinion in here. I do an even split of voice, swype, and type, so I end up coming back to the stock Google keyboard. There is always some downside to the others, either difficult to get to voice or emojis. Or terrible at one or the other input styles. Ultimately I just come back to the good-enough Google Keyboard.

Also, so many of them require that everything I type be a sentence or paragraph of known words. So, anything technical or a proper noun it just dies on. That one thing will kill the performance for me and make me say "Why don't I just use stock".

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I find SwiftKey figures out new words really quickly. I talking about a new comic ("Karnak") yesterday and it stopped correcting the word after typing it once, started recommending it after three or four uses.

But, yeah, it can be tough to get it to get the word right in the first place. It's gotten pretty good where the software will correct a weird word to something it knows, but it offers up my spelling as an autocorrect option if I hit backspace after typing it.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

I've been using SwiftKey for the past few days and the predictions it gives me are still godawful. I pretty much never use them except for very basic words like this, that, a, an, and, or, etc. Does it get better? Is there a way to improve it? I want good word prediction but so far it has never shown itself to be any better than Google Keyboard, HTC Input, or Swype, and it is worse than all three of those in its swiping.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Have you let them scan your email?

I've been using it for 4.5 years, now, so it gets me really well!

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

FunOne posted:

I'll throw another opinion in here. I do an even split of voice, swype, and type, so I end up coming back to the stock Google keyboard. There is always some downside to the others, either difficult to get to voice or emojis. Or terrible at one or the other input styles. Ultimately I just come back to the good-enough Google Keyboard.

Also, so many of them require that everything I type be a sentence or paragraph of known words. So, anything technical or a proper noun it just dies on. That one thing will kill the performance for me and make me say "Why don't I just use stock".

Material design Google keyboard doesn't have long-press characters outside of numbers. That's a total deal breaker for me.

I've heard other people say it does but I've never found an option to enable it. Just on stock 6.0 on a N5. It was the same with 5 too.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I like swiftkey enough. I am a mixed swype and tap, usually swyping when I only have 1 hand available. I find the predictions are solid and I rarely have problems. I gave it access to facebook and gmail and all that nonsense so it could snoop my habits, though. I'm interested in this neural version, though.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Taffer posted:

Material design Google keyboard doesn't have long-press characters outside of numbers. That's a total deal breaker for me.

I've heard other people say it does but I've never found an option to enable it. Just on stock 6.0 on a N5. It was the same with 5 too.

Cóūrßé ît døës. Always has too - it's one of the best things about phone keyboards

I mean I realise this doesn't help you (maybe clear any app data for it and reinstall, and look around accessibility for anything locking it?) but it absolutely does alternate characters on a long press

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

baka kaba posted:

Cóūrßé ît døës. Always has too - it's one of the best things about phone keyboards

I mean I realise this doesn't help you (maybe clear any app data for it and reinstall, and look around accessibility for anything locking it?) but it absolutely does alternate characters on a long press

This is what it looks like for me. No length of long pressing makes any other characters show up. A couple long press options show up under the ?123 menu (I used that to put in the img brackets) but nothing else.

If I could get that to work I might switch to Google keyboard.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Taffer posted:

This is what it looks like for me. No length of long pressing makes any other characters show up. A couple long press options show up under the ?123 menu (I used that to put in the img brackets) but nothing else.

Yeah yours is definitely broken. When you go to language and input what are your options under current keyboard?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Taffer posted:

J doesn't have any alternative characters (on the English keyboards anyway). What about the vowels? . should give you some quick punctuation and , should give you a settings cog

Magog
Jan 9, 2010
Thanks for this topic, only just discovered that PC layout is available for Google keyboard :downs:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I do a lot of walking at work, and I'm curious as to just how much I walk, so I was thinking of getting a pedometer app. Is there any one that's head and shoulders above the rest, or should I just use Google Fit?

I have no interest in counting calories, or making a map of where I walk.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Pretty sure all phone pedometers are universally poo poo unfortunately, I don't think the choice of app matters much

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I just use google fit.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.fitness&hl=en
It ties into strava and the like if you eventually want to go that route as well.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Skarsnik posted:

Pretty sure all phone pedometers are universally poo poo unfortunately, I don't think the choice of app matters much
This. They all suck. Get a wearable ped like a fitbit/jawbone/etc

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I don't care enough to get a monitor thingy. If phone apps aren't decent enough, I'll just forget about it. Thanks for the info.

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

Kheldarn posted:

I don't care enough to get a monitor thingy. If phone apps aren't decent enough, I'll just forget about it. Thanks for the info.

They're fine as long as all you're after is a rough number that's close enough.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Syrinxx posted:

This. They all suck. Get a wearable ped like a fitbit/jawbone/etc

They get the job done. My phone is usually off by 1-300 steps compared to my Fitbit Zip on an 8k step day.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

Maker Of Shoes posted:

They get the job done. My phone is usually off by 1-300 steps compared to my Fitbit Zip on an 8k step day.

Your phone is low compared to the Fitbit? When I was using a Fitbit I was walking 15-20k/day but Google Fit is telling me 10-15k/day.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I'm going to guess different phones are bad at it in different ways.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Skarsnik posted:

I'm going to guess different phones are bad at it in different ways.

This.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
I'm required to use an IMAP server for my company e-mail and GMail for IMAP is....ok. I've tried using a cloud e-mail provider, like Outlook, to front the mail, but the 15+ minute delay just isn't acceptable.

Can anyone recommend a decent IMAP client app for Android. Bonus if you have a decent Windows app suggestion to. Again, Outlook is...meh.

Rats Tossbag
Jan 16, 2014

Is there a good photo gallery app? I really dislike the way Google Photos works.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
QuickPic is pretty universally loved. What do you need your gallery app to do?

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

E.T. NO HOMO posted:

QuickPic is pretty universally loved. What do you need your gallery app to do?

QuickPic got bought out by some company with a really bad scamny history recently.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I'm trying out Fleksy (again) after it's been talked up in the thread recently. Is there a way to input enter/send if you've hidden the space bar row?

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

micropath posted:

Is there a good photo gallery app? I really dislike the way Google Photos works.
Piktures seems kinda solid now that quickpic has been bought up.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

hooah posted:

I'm trying out Fleksy (again) after it's been talked up in the thread recently. Is there a way to input enter/send if you've hidden the space bar row?
Swipe up from Backspace to input Enter when the keyboard is hidden.

Rats Tossbag
Jan 16, 2014

Zom Aur posted:

Piktures seems kinda solid now that quickpic has been bought up.

Thanks, Piktures looks great.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

I switched to Focus after the Quickpic-buyout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

polynominal-c
Jan 18, 2003

Is there an alternative for Agenda Widget that works on Android 5? Most other calendar widgets I've seen either don't integrate tasks/contact birthdays or are not as configurable as AW.

• Locked thread