Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Thin Privilege posted:

Doesn't mission 45 have something to do with Quiet leaving? By goon recommendation I made my logo have the butterfly on it so will it not appear? Or am I confusing things here.

Also, I stand by my tv-smashing because that boss fight was poo poo. I wasn't on meds/therapy back then so it likely won't happen again, but that time it was warranted. gently caress raiden, gently caress MGS2.

Do not try to justify breaking expensive consumer electronics over a video game you big dumb neanderthal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Fun fact: due to a few bugs with survival and success values regarding Miranda, she's actually the most survivable member of the cast. She can only ever be killed when holding the line right at the end, and even those odds are way lower than they should be, so out of the whole cast perhaps the least popular member is the one most likely to survive.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Ryoshi posted:

Do not try to justify breaking expensive consumer electronics over a video game you big dumb neanderthal.

It was 7 years ago, I was young, carefree... Those were the days

Yeah Bro
Feb 4, 2012

Thin Privilege posted:

Doesn't mission 45 have something to do with Quiet leaving? By goon recommendation I made my logo have the butterfly on it so will it not appear? Or am I confusing things here.

Also, I stand by my tv-smashing because that boss fight was poo poo. I wasn't on meds/therapy back then so it likely won't happen again, but that time it was warranted. gently caress raiden, gently caress MGS2.

MGS2 is good. Destroying consumer electronics is bad. The Ray fight is fun, and only gets more fun on harder difficulties, where you get no rations and have to kill 20 of them. Peace.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Cleretic posted:

Fun fact: due to a few bugs with survival and success values regarding Miranda, she's actually the most survivable member of the cast. She can only ever be killed when holding the line right at the end, and even those odds are way lower than they should be, so out of the whole cast perhaps the least popular member is the one most likely to survive.

I don't think it's even a bug, she has a line of dialogue before you make the choices for the final teams so she has to survive. The only bug would be if she somehow gets carried away by the bees.

It's not even an important line, it's something any character could say. I don't know why Bioware didn't just give every character that line and make someone else deliver it if Miranda dies.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Well y'see that'd require actually thinking.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
Wait, Miranda is a character people hated? I found her to be a bit whiny with the whole super-genetics thing but otherwise fairly benign. She's at least leagues more interesting than Ashley and her stupid space racism arc. Why do people hate her?

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

Ashley's daddy issues are way more interesting, I have no idea what you're talking about.

I think it's the fact that she was featured prominently on the cover art and her special skill is supposedly "leadership" when she's really lackluster and uninspiring.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts
Going back to the well of Awkward Zombie, the way she was written (and the way the camera focused on her rear end) may not have endeared to many players.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Esroc posted:

Wait, Miranda is a character people hated? I found her to be a bit whiny with the whole super-genetics thing but otherwise fairly benign. She's at least leagues more interesting than Ashley and her stupid space racism arc. Why do people hate her?

i won't say leagues better, but i liked her more than ashley. she was voiced and modeled after a specific actress, and the performance comes off pretty wooden. her attempts at emotion during her loyalty mission stand out the most. tali got more depth in 2 with all the stuff going on in her loyalty mission and having to deal with legion.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Esroc posted:

she's literally designed to be completely perfect, her flaws are "sometimes I'm not as good as people think I am so I get sad" and throughout the entire game she's a stickler for the dumbest, worst, most incompetently run evil organization in the entire universe that due to the stupidity of the plot you are forced into working with, to the point where she won't admit that literal child torture was maybe not a cool thing to do for the sake of ~dRaMa~, and you're never allowed to actually call her on any of her bullshit

also they shove her rear end into your face constantly in a way that's somehow even more distracting than the norm of games doing that.

Alaois has a new favorite as of 12:23 on Oct 23, 2015

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

Esroc posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Sue

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Alaois posted:

she's literally designed to be completely perfect, her flaws are "sometimes I'm not as good as people think I am so I get sad" and throughout the entire game she's a stickler for the dumbest, worst, most incompetently run evil organization in the entire universe that due to the stupidity of the plot you are forced into working with, to the point where she won't admit that literal child torture was maybe not a cool thing to do for the sake of ~dRaMa~, and you're never allowed to actually call her on any of her bullshit

also they shove her rear end into your face constantly in a way that's somehow even more distracting than the norm of games doing that.

She also goes and "saves" her clone sister because her dad only cares about her for ???? reasons.

They pit Miranda up against Jack who is the more realistic and interesting character among the two the entire game. Miranda talks about how her daddy was oh so mean and how she had to run away because she was sooooo perfect, but Jack had an even harder childhood and misremembers how bad/good it really was with her finally coming to terms with what really happened. Miranda never does in her own story. The two of them get into a fight later in the game because Jack's childhood is directly the result of Miranda's employers, and Miranda just acts like a snooty bitch about it while demanding the player sides with her because she's just so perfect and it's not her fault daddy maybe hosed everything up~*~*~

Miranda is so boring and one dimensional. Jack already exists so there's no reason for a shittier copy of the character stereotype to be there. She's even worse than Jacob, the random token black guy who gets shoved to the background in every scene, because at least he isn't shoving his weird padded clothed butt in the camera every 5 seconds.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

StandardVC10 posted:

Unblockable innate damage bonuses are a great way of making enemies harder, guys.

The only reliable way to deal with the Super Mutant Overlords was to shoot their guns out of their hands, so they keep running to pick up their gun rather than attacking you.

One one hand, I hate Broken Steel. On the other hand, these are the only enemies in the game and NV where "spam headshots" isn't the best method of dispatch. Dilemma.

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

Nuebot posted:

I once got a rare item in the gamecube version of PSO that my friend wanted and he shoved me down a flight of stairs. We did not stay friends.

For anyone who has not played PSO, you can literally drop and trade items at any time with no restrictions. The drop system, however, is what really dragged that game down. See, the drops weren't instanced like every later MMO did so if an item dropped, it dropped for everyone. And if you were playing with random people online they would steal everything just so no one else could have it.

I tended to not pick up any rare feeling that doing so would be a bit douchey. When I was hunting items I would usually do it myself.

The droprates were kinda bullshit and much more so because you needed hit% for a weapon to be satisfactory. There was only a 5% chance of weapons even having that at all (reduced to 1% or 3% in episode 2!) and IIRC something like a 1 in 70 that it would be at least 40% hit. I did 1000 runs of the first half of Towards the Future and got half of the exp needed to max my characters level but no satisfactory version of whatever I was looking for.

The Overworld of FF14 wasn't instanced and only the the first person/party to attack a monster would get exp and drops. I had other people come along and basically ruin my farming by "stealing" the monsters. They could have just formed a party with me so we both got 100% of the drops but gently caress making sense and not being an rear end apparently. One player was too dumb to accept my party invite and continued to insist I share the enemies with him even after I explained that he'd get 100% drops from everything and a lot faster if he just joined me. I'd rather have people be able to stand there doing nothing and benefit from my effort than get nothing myself no matter what I did.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Also her pants are hexagons so her butt looks like a soccer ball and as an american I'm uncomfortable with this Fútbol-gaze constantly trying to make me interested in soccer.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I'm pretty sure there's only actually like 1 rear end shot.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

I'm pretty sure there's only actually like 1 rear end shot.

there's the one really infamous rear end-shot that is actually the resting "conversation choice" camera angle for the scene it's in, but in other scenes she's in the camera likes to hover around the general area of her butt

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Alaois posted:

there's the one really infamous rear end-shot that is actually the resting "conversation choice" camera angle for the scene it's in, but in other scenes she's in the camera likes to hover around the general area of her butt

Mass Effect technology in her butt attracts the camera towards it, like all those gravity based biotic powers you can use on enemies.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm trying to slog through Pillars of Eternity and I'm just now realizing the stronghold is goddamn useless. Like completely useless even when fully upgraded.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Alaois posted:

I don't know, I think you can add in the abusive upbringing as well. And her gene issue isn't just that she's not as perfect as people think, but because it means that to her father and to herself, every accomplishment is the product of her perfect engineering and that the only thing that she can own as a person are her failures. That's pretty hosed.

That said, I will always appreciate that
Jacob was the most emotionally solid of my ME2 crew.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Didn't Jacob also loop around to daddy issues or is my memory playing tricks on me? :psyduck:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yep. His dad was a crazy cult leader.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Xoidanor posted:

Didn't Jacob also loop around to daddy issues or is my memory playing tricks on me? :psyduck:

Yes, but also, no.

Jacob didn't have a good relationship with his dad because his dad was always away for work (space trucker pilot or something). Eventually his dad disappeared on an exploration to some new planet. This was years ago and Jacob had come to terms with the loss.

Then you find out where his dad's ship had crash landed and go to check it out, where it turned out that the survivors had eaten some of the planet's native foods which made them all stupid and susceptible to uh, being told what to do. Jacob's dad kept the ship's rations for himself, and used the defense droids on the ship to kill/exile all the other men and keep the mind controlled women as sex slaves. Yeah.

Anyway Jacob sees this and is like, what the loving hell dad. You get the option to kill the dude yourself, let Jacob kill him or take him into custody. Afterwards, Jacob's like, "drat I was ok with my dad being dead. Like he wasn't the best father but I thought he was a good man and had come to terms with that, but finding out he's a horrible rapist monster is really loving with my world view, I need some time to think". Probably a pretty reasonable reaction to have?

Then he doesn't really say much for the rest of the game.

Mazerunner has a new favorite as of 21:04 on Oct 24, 2015

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Maxwell Lord posted:

The one karmic thing I dislike in NV is that after completing "Fly Me to the Moon", you still get dinged for taking things from the ghoul base.

They're in space! They obviously don't need this Rad-X if they left it behind!

The very first mod I downloaded for Fallout turned off karma loss for theft; if you don't get caught it doesn't count. This is why you always pickpocket the guards outside of NCR for double bozars to sell for caps. It's the Fallout way.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Mazerunner posted:

Yes, but also, no.

Jacob didn't have a good relationship with his dad because his dad was always away for work (space trucker pilot or something). Eventually his dad disappeared on an exploration to some new planet. This was years ago and Jacob had come to terms with the loss.

Then you find out where his dad's ship had crash landed and go to check it out, where it turned out that the survivors had eaten some of the planet's native foods which made them all stupid and susceptible to uh, being told what to do. Jacob's dad kept the ship's rations for himself, and used the defense droids on the ship to kill/exile all the other men and keep the mind controlled women as sex slaves. Yeah.

Anyway Jacob sees this and is like, what the loving hell dad. You get the option to kill the dude yourself, let Jacob kill him or take him into custody. Afterwards, Jacob's like, "drat I was ok with my dad being dead. Like he wasn't the best father but I thought he was a good man and had come to terms with that, but finding out he's a horrible rapist monster is really loving with my world view, I need some time to think". Probably a pretty reasonable reaction to have?

Then he doesn't really say much for the rest of the game.

You can romance him and he dumps you between games, I believe he is the only romancable crew member to do this.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Judge Tesla posted:

You can romance him and he dumps you between games, I believe he is the only romancable crew member to do this.

Yes. Although Thane dies like, right away. Until the Citadel DLC, where he comes back as a ghost.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Mazerunner posted:

Yes. Although Thane dies like, right away. Until the Citadel DLC, where he comes back as a ghost.

So scientology was right about the alien ghosts? :downsrim:

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I think mostly everyone on your crew had something to do with their fathers in Mass Effect 2. Miranda, Jacob, Tali. Thane's on the other side of the coin. It was a very dad-centric game.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Action Tortoise posted:

I think mostly everyone on your crew had something to do with their fathers in Mass Effect 2. Miranda, Jacob, Tali. Thane's on the other side of the coin. It was a very dad-centric game.

If not dad, then parenting issues of a sort - Jack has to deal with the fact that her 'parents' in Cerberus actually treated her better than most of the other test subjects.
Grunt has dad stuff with Dr Okeer.
Morinth and Samara have stuff going on.
Legion and the Geth has things going on with "are the reapers our predecessors, should we try to emulate them?".

Basically all the non-DLC main characters have some kind of issue to do with parenting.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Samara and Thane are the odd ones since they are the Daddy Issues. In a future RPG I'd like to see a party-member with no emotional baggage holding them back. They're loyal to you from the get-go and they just love killing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDr9axb7X7E

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Samara and Thane are the odd ones since they are the Daddy Issues. In a future RPG I'd like to see a party-member with no emotional baggage holding them back. They're loyal to you from the get-go and they just love killing.

The dog from Dragon Age was good.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Nuebot posted:

The dog from Dragon Age was good.

Didn't you do the sidequest where you found out he was abandoned as a pup by his parents because he was the runt of the litter, and he only got sick with Darkspawn blood after trying to prove his worth to his parents and fallen owner? It wasn't that bad aside from it being yet another fetch quest.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Screaming Idiot posted:

Didn't you do the sidequest where you found out he was abandoned as a pup by his parents because he was the runt of the litter, and he only got sick with Darkspawn blood after trying to prove his worth to his parents and fallen owner? It wasn't that bad aside from it being yet another fetch quest.
are you loving kidding

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

are you loving kidding

I think he is, because he just got sick from the blood and you cured him, or you picked him up after killing the darkspawn whilst walking around the world map.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Like HK-47?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Miranda is so boring and one dimensional. Jack already exists so there's no reason for a shittier copy of the character stereotype to be there. She's even worse than Jacob, the random token black guy who gets shoved to the background in every scene, because at least he isn't shoving his weird padded clothed butt in the camera every 5 seconds.

The contrast between these two is really interesting- Jack wears way less clothing than Miranda, and wears what she does have in a far more revealing way. But, in a lot of ways, she feels way less 'sexual' than Miranda. This despite the fact that the player can, if male, request a quickie from Jack and get laid immediately. Miranda feels like every scene is faked, a performance- there's so many walls in her character that I never once felt like I was making any progress, even at the end with the resolution of her plotline. Jack, by contrast, is raw and aggressive, always moving and never stable. She is a beacon of raw fury on the ship and every conversation feels like a minefield. It was awesome to watch her gradually open up to my Shepard, which is why I am still loving pissed that the resolution of her emotional arc is locked away behind the resolution of her romance, which is arbitrarily not allowed for female Shepards (despite all of the subtext and vague flirtation being there regardless of Shepard's gender). You just get a vague "I'm okay" thing after finishing off her loyalty mission, rather than any sort of actual goddamn payoff.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

My Jack and Miranda had an argument where I took Jack's side because she was correct even though I was chasing Miranda romantically in game. I lost Miranda's loyalty and even though I got it back eventually I never got a romance scene. Instead It was Shepard sitting alone in his room petting a framed photo of the blue girl from the first game :saddowns:

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

Action Tortoise posted:

Grunt arguably had dad issues with O'Keer, and Morinth kinda sorta has dad issues with Samara (Liara/Benezia would fall under rationale too), but Asari are obviously not dads. Garrus in the first game had an issue with his father, something about pressuring him to join CSec. Wrex ended up killing his old man after double crossed by him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
Don't cheat on Liara you son of a bitch. I thought I was inviting the HR girl (Kelly, I think) up to my room so she could borrow the shower because the captain quarters are just nice, but it turned out it was a sex thing and when I finally made up with Liara over that misundertsnading I thought i was going to have a friendly game of chess with the co-pilot or whatever she is in ME3 andI've been too afraid to turning my PS3 back on and facing Liara going on 3 years now