Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Silly Burrito posted:

Ummmmmm.......

When it was Edwin Edwards vs. David Duke, it was notably worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

Zeroisanumber posted:

No, Edwards won.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Zeroisanumber posted:

Actual bumper sticker from that race:

Less than 40% turnout. Good God.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Hollismason posted:

Yeah one can hope but I still don't think it's enough. David Vitter will mostly be the next Governor.

It can happen, though. In Idaho, there was a real shitlord (R) who had antagonized the state party that lost in 2006 in one of the most (R) districts around. The Democrat that beat him was then tossed out in 2008 by a guy who was state party approved.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Mr. Nice! posted:

The first looks better, imo.

Note to self, I think my laptop screen must be getting a color cast. I tried it on my Dell IPS monitor and it's noticeably warmer. The Dell is theoretically factory calibrated but all monitors drift over time, so I can't really say which is correct, if either.

Even so there's still a strong blue cast in the original, even on the warmer IPS monitor. Concrete is not supposed to be blue.

I white-balanced off the tent, tried the dress next but it wasn't noticeably different. Maybe it would have been better to try the concrete.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Oct 25, 2015

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Vitter is attacking Bel Edwards and Obama in the victory speech. It begins.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Silly Burrito posted:

Vitter is attacking Bel Edwards and Obama in the victory speech. It begins.

So is there going to be a runoff or is he absorbing the votes from the other Republican candidates? I'm confused here.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Boon posted:

I harbor no illusions that Hillary is politically driven to the core. Going to vote so hard for that - she's basically female LBJ and I wasn't alive for LBJ

Thankfully for her the preceding president won't have gotten us involved in a quagmire with the Russians on the other side.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Young Freud posted:

So is there going to be a runoff or is he absorbing the votes from the other Republican candidates? I'm confused here.

There will be a runoff on November 21st. Winner take all.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Rhesus Pieces posted:

I don't think Jeb!'s heart is in it, guys.

From an appearance in SC today:

Hate to tell ya Jeb, but that's what being president is all about now. Maybe you should cut bait and do something cool then.

They really nailed it when they named George Oscar Bluth after John Ellis Bush.

TheRamblingSoul posted:

People here are already putting up Hillary for Prison 2016 lawn signs. :cripes:

The idea of giving people like this the *best* Christmas 2016 gift possible makes me want to work extra hard to make sure she gets the White House.

:getin:

Joementum posted:

I mean, if we're going for sartorial critique, we should probably start with the American flag cape and turban combo.

If you followed her Instagram, you'd know she just got back from Cuba. :smug:

....Which I guess explains the whole Carmen Miranda thing.

Also she seems to have worn a variation on that outfit idea every day she was down there.

What? Katy Perry has a dope Instagram.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Silly Burrito posted:

Actual bumper sticker from that race:

Less than 40% turnout. Good God.

I remember being a kid when all that was going on

Over half a million people in Louisiana voted for this man an actual Nazi Sympathize and Grand Wizard of the Klu Klux Klan
David Duke Republican 671,009 38.83%

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Hollismason posted:

Over half a million people in Louisiana voted for this man an actual Nazi Sympathize and Grand Wizard of the Klu Klux Klan

huh, I guess I thought of David Duke as a perma-old man

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Hollismason posted:

I will say, Louisiana politics are never boring. Insane, but never boring. That was one of my favorite college classes. I think it's the only one where I kept all the textbooks (Books about Huey Long, the Edwards/Duke race, Earl Long, etc.)

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Zeroisanumber posted:

One of the all-time great quotes in politics was from Edwards in that race: "The only thing we have in common is we’re both wizards under the sheets."

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Joementum posted:

One of the all-time great quotes in politics was from Edwards in that race: "The only thing we have in common is we’re both wizards under the sheets."

Oh Edwards, you sonofabitch! :allears:

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Captain_Maclaine posted:

"In the future...if you're wondering...
*five minute pause*
'Seventh Day Adventists. Boy, I don't know,' is when,
*seven minute pause with eyes closed, faint snoring audible*
When I decided to,
*long yawn*
kick you rear end."

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Joementum posted:

I dunno "The only way I can lose this race is to be caught in bed with a live boy or dead girl." is pretty loving amazing.

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2014/03/edwin_edwards_congress_electio.html

Honestly these are all amazing

quote:

"Sister, just don't let me get into the habit." (When he hugged a nun at Paris' Notre Dame Cathedral during a lavish junket to France in 1984)

Edwin Edwards makes Bill Clinton look like a fumbling schoolboy.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Oct 25, 2015

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

I was so happy together be able to vote for Edwin "Old Silver Zipper" Edwards last last year for Congress, since I was to young to vote for him for governor. He got mauled in the run off of course, but LA 6 is like R +10. As governor he basically ran the state like Fried Chicken wants to run the country.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Joementum posted:

I, too, am glad you're back, Joementum. Hope you had a good break.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Joementum posted:

Not a political quote, but goddamn:

"'Well, Marion ... if she dies, she dies." (What Edwards reportedly told his brother when he warned the 86-year-old that sex with his new wife, 50 years his junior, could be dangerous)

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!

PostNouveau posted:

"'Well, Marion ... if she dies, she dies." (What Edwards reportedly told his brother when he warned the 86-year-old that sex with his new wife, 50 years his junior, could be dangerous)

Holy poo poo :stare:

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Luigi Thirty posted:

In the Scandinavia thread they were amazed that we considered him left when he's barely a moderate over there.

To be fair, here in communist utopia we consider you all to be nazis. Sanders is jewish, so he is obviously just facist.

Zeroisanumber posted:

So just 20 years ago, literal leaders of the KKK was preferable to Louisianian republicans. I guess Jindal does stand for progress. :stonklol:

Rincewinds fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Oct 25, 2015

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Boon posted:

Watching C-Span...

I harbor no illusions that Hillary is politically driven to the core. Going to vote so hard for that - she's basically female LBJ and I wasn't alive for LBJ

I don't think she'll take her genitals out to establish female dominance though.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Rincewinds posted:

So just 20 years ago, literal leaders of the KKK was preferable to Louisianian republicans. I guess Jindal does stand for progress. :stonklol:

Duke was the republican.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
If he's thinking of a clans an democrat he probably was thinking of Lyndon Larouche. Although maybe he meant Robert Byrd but he was a former clansman most of his life.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Rhesus Pieces posted:

The first segment of this week's On The Media podcast is all about Vilerat :unsmith:

They even mentioned Something Awful by name.

Hollismason posted:

I think this is the podcast:

https://www.wnyc.org/radio/#/ondemand/541145

Starts at 4:59

That is loving awesome.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

So, uh, the Pope used his closing remarks on the Synod to call out the entire conference of Catholic bishops for being backwards, out of touch, and exclusionary.

quote:

Pope Francis, ending a contentious bishops' meeting on family issues, on Saturday excoriated immovable church leaders who "bury their heads in the sand" and hide behind rigid doctrine while families suffer.

The pope spoke at the end of a three-week gathering, known as a synod, where the bishops agreed to a qualified opening toward divorcees who have remarried outside the church but rejected calls for more welcoming language toward homosexuals.

It was the latest in a series of admonitions to bishops by the pontiff, who has stressed since his election in 2013 that the 1.2 billion-member church should be open to change, side with the poor and rid itself of the pomp and stuffiness that has alienated so many Catholics.

In his final address, the pope appeared to criticize ultra-conservatives, saying church leaders should confront difficult issues "fearlessly, without burying our heads in the sand."

He said the synod had "laid bare the closed hearts which frequently hide even behind the church's teachings or good intentions, in order to sit in the chair of Moses and judge, sometimes with superiority and superficiality, difficult cases and wounded families".

He also decried "conspiracy theories" and the "blinkered viewpoints" of some at the gathering, and said the church could not transmit its message to new generations "at times encrusted in a language which is archaic or simply incomprehensible".

"The Synod experience also made us better realize that the true defenders of doctrine are not those who uphold its letter, but its spirit; not ideas but people; not formulae but the gratuitousness of God’s love and forgiveness."

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Just for shits and giggles: how would the IMF and World Bank react should the US face default? Being based in the US notwithstanding, they are eager to jump and dictate terms to other countries in similar debt situations and would be hypocritical to ignore the US in a similar case.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

TheRamblingSoul posted:

Just for shits and giggles: how would the IMF and World Bank react should the US face default? Being based in the US notwithstanding, they are eager to jump and dictate terms to other countries in similar debt situations and would be hypocritical to ignore the US in a similar case.

They wouldn't react at all. A US default would have nothing to do with a lack of money.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

They arrested a guy in South Carolina for heroin trafficking. you'll never believe what they found when they got to his property.

quote:

CHESTERFIELD COUNTY, SC (WBTV) - Deputies estimate that they've seized between 7,000 and 10,000 stolen guns from a house and warehouse near Pageland. Deputies have arrested Brent Nicholson in connection to the stolen goods.

Chesterfield County Sheriff Jay Brooks says the seized guns, ammunition, and hundreds of other items were all found on a single property off of Highway 9 outside of Pageland city limits.

Brooks says the guns alone filled one tractor trailer and ammunition filled another.

:stare:

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Luigi Thirty posted:

They arrested a guy in South Carolina for heroin trafficking. you'll never believe what they found when they got to his property.

If only we had a buyback program, that fella wouldn't have had to sell heroin.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

mdemone posted:

If only we had a buyback program, that fella wouldn't have had to sell heroin.
but what else is there to do in pageland but go shoot something up?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

I wonder which TFR goon this is.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Luigi Thirty posted:

Weird. Looks like a hoarder who took hoarding to a new level by having thieves fence guns to him then he would just hoard them. Article says they're almost entirely shotguns and hunting rifles. Also had over 150 chainsaws.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Luigi Thirty posted:

Logistically, how can one person use all those guns?

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Luigi Thirty posted:

Isn't ammo still really expensive because of hoarders worried Obama was gonna start grabbing guns any day now? Couldn't he have made way more money selling that?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Luigi Thirty posted:

Apparently there's quite a few stashes around Texas, the militia idiots talk about them all the time at the local gun shows.

Of course, those guys are typically full of poo poo cowards, but I wouldn't put it past them to spend all their money on weapons just so they can hoard them all in some bunker in west Texas.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Republicans posted:

Isn't ammo still really expensive because of hoarders worried Obama was gonna start grabbing guns any day now? Couldn't he have made way more money selling that?

Mooseontheloose posted:

Logistically, how can one person use all those guns?

Hoarders don't worry about that. You think the old man with thousands of pounds of old magazines and newspapers is reading those?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Hollismason posted:

So thats where mr. pink went.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

So thats where mr. pink went.

No he got arrested, crank up the volume at the end of the movie and you'll hear him surrendering to the cops.

• Locked thread