Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice
Okay, we're going to basically reset our crapulence here and prep for the endgame:

Celebrate the new peerage/lands/loot granted to our feudal underlings on the new (soon to be wrecked) planet in a sphinx blood feast served by Bijoux slaves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

huntergatherer
Mar 5, 2005
Blood feast, disproportionately petty reprisals and looting. Not necessarily in that order.

How long do we have in the system before we should jump?

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

posting is magic

huntergatherer posted:

Blood feast, disproportionately petty reprisals and looting. Not necessarily in that order.

How long do we have in the system before we should jump?

We can spend 3 more days before we need to jump out.

huntergatherer
Mar 5, 2005
On further thought - the rest of the population might not take the death of their empress well and might resist our enslavement 'resettlement' plans. Assuming SuGaBa is back online, can we grotesquely puppet the empress' corpse as part of a system wide broadcast where 'she' orders her people to comply.

Also we should find out how these chumps know so much about our enemies when we know nothing.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

huntergatherer posted:

Also we should find out how these chumps know so much about our enemies when we know nothing.

SuGaBa.
It wants us dead, but, its programming prevents it from being able to directly harm us or allow harm to come to us.

BUT, if in the middle of an exchange of cultural information, SuGaBa happens to mention some useful information that will make it easier to negotiate with us, and then allows itself to be powered down for awhile for "repairs", well, it certainly can't blame itself if we go and get ourselves killed.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Head to the loving water level! Also I'm still here, I tend to catch up on the thread once every couple days to let it build up. Still loving it and loved space tits cross over

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Tardcore posted:

This sounds like a good time to round up the crew for a blood feast at the expense of the prior empress

Outrail posted:

Blood feast! Blood for the Blood Croc!

Also keep one of the gem heads to continue our multiracial crew compliment/prisoner menagerie.

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo
gonna go with blood feast

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Have them install components, refuel and fix the ship.

Take as many as we can as "servants" really to be eaten later.

Hit the planet with the Meson Beam Cutter.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

posting is magic

Looks like blood feast plus taking some slaves and general exploitation. Unfortuately we can't take random aliens on as crew without the "We Come in Peace" expansion which involves coming in peace at least once per adventure.

If you're not satisfied with the blood feast for revenge then systematic solar system-wide xenocide is an option following that, assuming we have the time and inclination to do so.

Update pretty soon in the scheme of things.

Two Free Toppings
Jul 1, 2007

SUCK
THE
SHIT
OUT
OF
MY
OWN
ASSHOLE
Man, blood feast and revenge are great ideas, but I get the feeling we really need to repair the ship and see if we can get any last minute upgrades from either the dead Sphinx or the half-finished intergalactic ship the gem dudes were building. We're getting close to end game and I'd rather get there at full power with a few surprises we can pull from our sleeves than roll in with our half-busted ship and a possibly murderous AI at the helm. We need to spend at least a little time on repairs/upgrades and if anyone has an idea about getting to the bottom of the SuGaBa situation we should explore it.

Then again - we are fat and crapulent little crocodilians, so it might be suitable if we just eat our way through this system and stumble on to the next one. Easy come easy go.

Ponderous Saxon
Jan 5, 2010
Fallen Rib

Peebla posted:

We need to spend at least a little time on repairs/upgrades and if anyone has an idea about getting to the bottom of the SuGaBa situation we should explore it.

I get the impression that SuGaBa is just huffy that its advice has been wilfully ignored. Talk to SuGaBa about its feelings.

Two Free Toppings
Jul 1, 2007

SUCK
THE
SHIT
OUT
OF
MY
OWN
ASSHOLE

Ponderous Saxon posted:

I get the impression that SuGaBa is just huffy that its advice has been wilfully ignored. Talk to SuGaBa about its feelings.

Man, why would we build a computer like that? It's like a skink in crocodile clothing, the huffy traitor. I think something bad is going to happen with the hunk of junk, but I don't know that there is anything we can do about it until SuGaBa reveals its intentions.

Asterios
Apr 17, 2008

So long, Skorpex!

https://www.presidentbaby.com
I don't think we should xenocide the planet. If they can slow the threshers down even a day with their dumb gem corpses, it could be the line between victory and defeat.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
Spare the aliens, but wire the planet's nuclear energy plants together into a giant bomb and leave it as a booby trap for the threshers.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

posting is magic

Ponderous Saxon posted:

We'll get to hear all about the AI's feelings very soon, don't worry.

Mexican Deathgasm posted:

Spare the aliens, but wire the planet's nuclear energy plants together into a giant bomb and leave it as a booby trap for the threshers.

The book offers this sort of option pretty regularly but it's a trap designed to waste your time. Nothing slows the Threshers down. I'm only telling you this because dying from running out of time is less entertaining than the other ways we can get killed.

Update

Yesterday's complete page:

We're getting the crew back together so we can have the Blood Feast. 200:

Well, we broke that. Our dangerous swashbuckling earns us a stat increase: the captain goes from bad to nearly adequate.
We hold the feast at last. (9):

Two days go by, it's now day 28. We don't need to worry about our crew ripping the hull apart looking for spare change which is a pleasant change.
Here's the gem:

Not particularly useful right this second.

Anyway, do we want to listen to the Bijou or just eat them all?
And what do we do next?

Starship manifest:

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

posting is magic

Peebla posted:

Man, blood feast and revenge are great ideas, but I get the feeling we really need to repair the ship and see if we can get any last minute upgrades from either the dead Sphinx or the half-finished intergalactic ship the gem dudes were building. We're getting close to end game and I'd rather get there at full power with a few surprises we can pull from our sleeves than roll in with our half-busted ship and a possibly murderous AI at the helm. We need to spend at least a little time on repairs/upgrades and if anyone has an idea about getting to the bottom of the SuGaBa situation we should explore it.

Then again - we are fat and crapulent little crocodilians, so it might be suitable if we just eat our way through this system and stumble on to the next one. Easy come easy go.

We're actually in reasonable condition. Energy is always a worry at this point in the game but there are a couple more places we can fill up on the way. The ship isn't badly damaged and the crew is depleted but not dangerously so. All in all it could be worse.

huntergatherer
Mar 5, 2005
Listen.

Then ask SuGaBA about its feelings.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

:burger: we need the healing burst.

Fellbat
Feb 23, 2014

huntergatherer posted:

Listen.

yea lets just go full date sim on a computer.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

huntergatherer posted:

Listen.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

huntergatherer posted:

Listen.

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo

huntergatherer posted:

Listen.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Listen to what it has to say.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Listen to the Bijou for now, but we really should do something about SuGaBa soon.

Ponderous Saxon
Jan 5, 2010
Fallen Rib

huntergatherer posted:

Listen.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

posting is magic

I know our captain has developed some new abilities but I'm pretty sure empathising with computers isn't one of them.

I'm not saying we can't do it, I'm just saying

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTVzSq81wCs

Standish
May 21, 2001

Let him speak but be suspicious of anything he says. Remember how these treacherous alien scum took advantage of our trusting and generous nature before. We held out the hand of interstellar friendship to them and they stabbed it in the back. (for all they knew, we weren't going to scam them)

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Just listen

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
listen

don'ttalk to sugaba about it's feelings

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

huntergatherer posted:

Listen.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I, for one, don't give a poo poo about SuGaBa's feelings.
I already know it wants us dead or subservient to it. :tinfoil:

Fake edit: That's not a spoiler, just a guess. I'm the paranoid type. I never actually read this book all the way through.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

posting is magic

Welp looks like we're going to listen to the servant and have a heart to heart with SuGaBA. I'm starting to wonder if the posters ITT are really a bunch of evil, cold-blooded crocodiles or if they're just a bunch of filthy warm-blooded apes. Update relatively soon.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Gilganixon posted:

I'm starting to wonder if the posters ITT are really a bunch of evil, cold-blooded crocodiles or if they're just a bunch of filthy warm-blooded apes.

I knew it!:bahgawd:

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

posting is magic

Update

Yesterday's page completed:

We're feeling kind or lazy, so we condescend to listen to the gemface (351):

Here are the Bijou Slaves we can add if we want:

They take up an extra crew slot on missions but might actually win fights sometimes. There are only two of them though - if they are both killed we'll still get the engineering bonus but no more heavies.

Moving on, we've decided that we care about SuGaBA all of a sudden, for whatever reason. Turning to 124:

Yeah well, that ended about as well as expected. The captain put all his feelings on the line only to have them stomped on. He's sad now. I hope you're happy.
Now to get out of here (453):

We are here (Media):

We've got no repairs we can make and no CRAPULENCE check to worry about so we're good to go.
The Captain is in really bad shape and if he dies it's game over. There are two ways to restore health - spend 10 ENERGY to recover each wound, or eat the valet to regain all of them. We could also do neither and try to wing it.

Before we proceed I need to know:
a) Do we want the slaves or the health boost?
b) Where to: Mintaka (the system with the crab people civilisation) or Chertan?
c) How fast are we going to go there? As slow as possible, max speed using our radioactive JO crystal upgrade, or somewhere in between?
optional - d) Should we patch up the Captain? If so do we use some ship's energy (10 per injury, up to 30) or eat the valet for a full and instant recovery

As a reminders, this is our current Starship manifest:

Edit: Thank you Applewhite for your work in this gratuitously brutal sector!

Saint Isaias Boner fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Oct 26, 2015

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Slaves, Mintaka, max speed no crystal

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Take the slaves. Goto Chertan. Max speed.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Hogge Wild posted:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Hogge Wild posted:

Another vote for this. We need to make sure these unknown aliens aren't getting too shirty or allowed to keep their valuables.

Also, we really need to keep building our menagerie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

posting is magic

There's one thing I forgot - the Captain is in really bad shape and if he dies it's game over. There are two ways to restore health - spend 10 ENERGY to recover each wound, or eat the valet to regain all of them. We could also do neither and just hope we don't get shot at before some kindly alien patches the Captain up out of the goodness of its hearts.

• Locked thread