Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Yeah it's pretty hard to create custom classes for 4E. People go "oh well mix two classes' powers!" as if that's fun or not largely a waste of time. The game's model makes it difficult to make new things and it's cool that we got as many classes as we did, because each class can be pretty complicated in terms of the options available. Then it becomes an obstacle to ease of play, since you can't exactly program new things into the character builder.

The game already has roughly three times as many feats as it should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
I seem to recall aaaages ago a goon was working on a supplement for a Martial Controller class that actually seemed pretty cool. Using heavy thrown weapons, each power forced the DM into a Dilemma; choose one of two equally bad options. Anyone else remember that? He commissioned a sweet piece of art of a dragonborn chucking a hand axe

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
"More feats!" shouted Giles Corey, 8th level Witch.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Super Waffle posted:

I seem to recall aaaages ago a goon was working on a supplement for a Martial Controller class that actually seemed pretty cool. Using heavy thrown weapons, each power forced the DM into a Dilemma; choose one of two equally bad options. Anyone else remember that? He commissioned a sweet piece of art of a dragonborn chucking a hand axe

The martial controller is the polearm fighter.

Complexcalibur
Mar 11, 2007

NUOOOOAAAGH
Has anyone here used the Level 0 rules they posted in Dragon magazine? Instead of choosing a class, you choose a power source which gives you a single At-Will, and during battles you can spend tokens to make the At-Will have shades of one of the four roles; for example, the Divine at-will just whacks an enemy, but the Leader version whacks them and heals someone, and the Defender version whacks them and threatens them with more damage if they move on their turn. I have a group of friends that want to try tabletop games, and I think that choosing a power source might be more appealing than choosing a class and trying to slot into a role, at least initially. It certainly all sounds good on paper, but I have no idea how it actually plays.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
I played a level 0 one-shot once and I really wasn't all that impressed. Your choices are too limited, the enemies are extremely deadly, and depending on what races your characters choose, some are going to have a better time than others. For example, I had a Thri-Kreen whose Flailing Claws racial power annihilated enemies while others were constantly missing and getting their poo poo kicked in.

Plus, if you want to actually play 4e, it doesn't really let you play with any of the 4e mechanics or resources, like At-Will/Encounter/Daily powers or marking abilities for defenders.

You're better off just making them some pre-made level 1 characters, and if they like it, let them either make their own characters or customize the ones they have if you keep going.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Khizan posted:

The martial controller is the polearm fighter.

Do not pursue Lu Bu.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKDIQaq36tw

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Mecha Gojira posted:

You're better off just making them some pre-made level 1 characters, and if they like it, let them either make their own characters or customize the ones they have if you keep going.

Ask them what they want to play and then just generate L1 characters to fill those concepts. The classes fluff sufficiently well so that you can pretty much fill a striker/defender/leader group out of basically any 3 concepts.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The 4th Edition Player's Handbook 1 is now available in PDF form from DTRPG

The DMG 1 is yet to be released, but if you use the Essentials Dungeon Master's Kit as a stand-in (plus Rules Compendium), it's now possible to run entire games of D&D 4e just by using official material that's available forever.

The product history is an interesting read if nothing else, and given the pattern of previous DTRPG releases, we'll probably see MM1 or DMG1 this time next week, then the other book the week after that.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Oct 20, 2015

Complexcalibur
Mar 11, 2007

NUOOOOAAAGH

Mecha Gojira posted:

I played a level 0 one-shot once and I really wasn't all that impressed. Your choices are too limited, the enemies are extremely deadly, and depending on what races your characters choose, some are going to have a better time than others. For example, I had a Thri-Kreen whose Flailing Claws racial power annihilated enemies while others were constantly missing and getting their poo poo kicked in.

Plus, if you want to actually play 4e, it doesn't really let you play with any of the 4e mechanics or resources, like At-Will/Encounter/Daily powers or marking abilities for defenders.

That's a shame, it seemed like a neat way to break people in. Then again, without a lot of tweaking it would have probably been a bit too lethal for new players (or a new DM).

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Echophonic posted:

"More feats!" shouted Giles Corey, 8th level Witch.

I think he was at best multiclassed into Witch, or not a Witch at all.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

gradenko_2000 posted:

The 4th Edition Player's Handbook 1 is now available in PDF form from DTRPG

The DMG 1 is yet to be released, but if you use the Essentials Dungeon Master's Kit as a stand-in (plus Rules Compendium), it's now possible to run entire games of D&D 4e just by using official material that's available forever.

The product history is an interesting read if nothing else, and given the pattern of previous DTRPG releases, we'll probably see MM1 or DMG1 this time next week, then the other book the week after that.

Have they updated the PDF with errata?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Gort posted:

Have they updated the PDF with errata?

I don't even need to look at it to say gently caress NO of course they haven't.

(if someone cares to prove me wrong I'd be pleased to retract that)

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

thespaceinvader posted:

I don't even need to look at it to say gently caress NO of course they haven't.

(if someone cares to prove me wrong I'd be pleased to retract that)

Why the gently caress not

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Gort posted:

:effort:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Unless there was ever a printing of the PHB that had all the errata incorporated, it's very unlikely that this is errata'd, since I don't think WOTC really has any sort of bandwidth allocated towards 5th Edition, much less a previous one.

Unrelated question: what was the first issue of Dragon Magazine that was 4e-related?

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Gort posted:

WOTC's overall treatment of 4e has been a lack of effort and care. Updating the books would require effort, therefore, WOTC did not update them.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Unrelated question: what was the first issue of Dragon Magazine that was 4e-related?

363 was the last one Paizo made, 364 was when it switched over to WotC and 4e.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

LightWarden posted:

363 was the last one Paizo made, 364 was when it switched over to WotC and 4e.

359 was the last Paizo issue, 360-363 had transitional 3e content and 4e previews, and 364 was the first 4e issue. A chunk of the 3e content in 360-363 was original 4e content that was backported prior to 4e's release, like the Ecology of the Fire Archon article in #361.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
One of my Wizards wants to use a sword, so they pick up the martial weapon feat. Is there any special rules I should be aware of?

Dire Wombat
Oct 29, 2011

In this world, there is no truth. The truth is made later on and overwrites what comes before it. Real truth doesn't exist anywhere.

Turtlicious posted:

One of my Wizards wants to use a sword, so they pick up the martial weapon feat. Is there any special rules I should be aware of?

You can't use a weapon as an implement unless you have the appropriate implement proficiency, so taking the weapon proficiency feat won't do any good. Your player needs Arcane Implement Proficiency, or IIRC a Swordmage MC feat unless he actually wants to hit people with the sword (which would be blatantly dumb for a Wizard). Other than that, weapons and implements work identically.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
Also instead of burning a feat on using swords for weapon attacks, the Mage's Weapon enchantment is a heavy or light blade that can be used by anyone proficient with daggers.

If he wants to be a melee fight-wizard, swordmage or swordmage|wizard hybrid would be something to look at. Otherwise, wizards don't have a lot of cause to hit things with their weapons.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Turtlicious posted:

:eyepop: holy gently caress don't play this edition hth

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Turtlicious posted:

Play a Swordmage. Or a Warlock. Or a Sorcerer. Or basically any other arcane class than a Wizard, virtually all of which can make better use of weapons. If Wizard is an absolute must, see above, or take the War Wizard of Cormyr (?) PP. But yeah, Wizard + Sword is basically making a Wizard worse for no reason.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
To approach this from another angle: you can call yourself a Wizard, with Wizard named abilities, but you should probably be a different class mechanically.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

P.d0t posted:

:eyepop: holy gently caress don't play this edition hth

What edition would you suggest?

I mean, this isn't "gently caress YOU 4TH IS THE BEST EDITOIN" but being a wizard with a sword has never really been a particularly good or useful idea in any edition of D&D (somewhat ironically given the existence of Glamdring)

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

You can use a sword implement to get magic item properties only available on sword. That is about the only reason you should do it and even then it's not wise.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
What does he want to do with the sword?

If he wants to combine magic and sword fightan into one style, maybe slowly transit him over to swordmage. Start with a multiclass feat (probably replace the martial weapon feat), then maybe let him begin swapping out powers until he is Full Swordmage (or hybrid wizard | swordmage ).

If he wants to throw fireballs from out of his sword, just give him staves but rename them swords, and tell him they're totally swords. Like, never tell him "ok this staff-" Just change it all to sword.

If he wants to be a wizard (who also sometimes slashes a dude with a sword), then go "gently caress dude" and just give him martial weapon training for free because it literally doesn't matter at all and maybe point him instead towards melee training or whatever it's called that changes your basic attack. Alternately, see above with the staff thing.

If he wants to just have one because it's rad, cool, go for it. You probably don't need to actually change anything. Swords are cool.

Dunno why this thread is freaking the gently caress out over this. Doing any of these are pretty easy fixes

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

ProfessorCirno posted:

What does he want to do with the sword?

If he wants to combine magic and sword fightan into one style, maybe slowly transit him over to swordmage. Start with a multiclass feat (probably replace the martial weapon feat), then maybe let him begin swapping out powers until he is Full Swordmage (or hybrid wizard | swordmage ).

If he wants to throw fireballs from out of his sword, just give him staves but rename them swords, and tell him they're totally swords. Like, never tell him "ok this staff-" Just change it all to sword.

If he wants to be a wizard (who also sometimes slashes a dude with a sword), then go "gently caress dude" and just give him martial weapon training for free because it literally doesn't matter at all and maybe point him instead towards melee training or whatever it's called that changes your basic attack. Alternately, see above with the staff thing.

If he wants to just have one because it's rad, cool, go for it. You probably don't need to actually change anything. Swords are cool.

[quote]Dunno why this thread is freaking the gently caress out over this. Doing any of these are pretty easy fixes

We see lots of stories of players trying to square peg/round hole stuff with 4th Edition. "I'll make my paladin's main stat Constitution!" has come up more than once.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
That's true.

For me the primary 4e question first and foremost is "what is the player trying to do?" and building around that. The problem is when the answer is "be meta but they're real poo poo at it."

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

"I'll make my paladin's main stat Constitution!" has come up more than once.
Yeah I think those were 90% me. Sorry :shobon:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"Swords are cool and my character wants simething in case her magic runs out." I just gave her a sword with that implement enchantment on it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Turtlicious posted:

in case her magic runs out
I think there is a fairly fundamental failure of understanding here.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Turtlicious posted:

"Swords are cool and my character wants simething in case her magic runs out." I just gave her a sword with that implement enchantment on it.

That's a perfectly good way to handle it. :)

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Dire Wombat posted:

You can't use a weapon as an implement unless you have the appropriate implement proficiency, so taking the weapon proficiency feat won't do any good. Your player needs Arcane Implement Proficiency, or IIRC a Swordmage MC feat unless he actually wants to hit people with the sword (which would be blatantly dumb for a Wizard). Other than that, weapons and implements work identically.

There is no Arcane Implement Proficiency for Heavy/Light Blades, iirc. Just Dagger specifically. The only way to get heavy blades as an implement are a swordmage MC or a Monk MC with a corresponding heavy/light blade proficiency(Monk MC grants 'monk implements' and their implement list includes "any weapon you are proficient in").

I can't think of a reason why you'd want to go the monk MC route, mind you; I am just listing it for the sake of completeness.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Khizan posted:

There is no Arcane Implement Proficiency for Heavy/Light Blades, iirc. Just Dagger specifically. The only way to get heavy blades as an implement are a swordmage MC or a Monk MC with a corresponding heavy/light blade proficiency(Monk MC grants 'monk implements' and their implement list includes "any weapon you are proficient in").

I can't think of a reason why you'd want to go the monk MC route, mind you; I am just listing it for the sake of completeness.

"Choose a kind of implement associated with any arcane class. You can now use that kind of implement."

The swordmage gets blades as an implement.

Edit: Fun fact, there's also one for bows if you worship Sehanine.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Turtlicious posted:

Maybe make sure he understands that wizards never run out of at-will powers, just in case there is some confusion.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's a fluff thing. RP you know? She just wants to know how to use a sword.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Turtlicious posted:

It's a fluff thing. RP you know? She just wants to know how to use a sword.

Well then congrats, she knows how to use a sword. It's not like it'll break much of anything for a wizard to have a sword. No use spending a feat on something that's just fluff that won't really come into play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah, just... give the player Longsword proficiency.

Or hell, suggest they play an Eladrin. Eladrin are beasty Wizards.