Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Baron Porkface posted:

I made a post in CineD and I can't see it, did I get hellbanned?

This is what I see any time I go to view someone's post history.

It's not you, it's them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

El Jeffe posted:

I can see the post FWIW.

The Baron Samedi post? the thread shows up as only having the OP.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Baron Porkface posted:

The Baron Samedi post? the thread shows up as only having the OP.

I don't see your post, but the thread list shows you as the last poster anyway. It also says it only has one post in it though, so something clearly is wonky.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
A codebase walked or stumbled...

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
radium

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

I saw that Game of Thrones is being translated into Arabic and it made me wonder, in works of fiction that are translated to Arabic is "insh'allah" worked into speech to make it sound more colloquial? If so, how does that jibe with characters who are clearly worshipping non-Allah gods?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

VagueRant posted:

If you're in the military and regularly dealing with a lieutenant colonel or a major general, would you always address them by their full rank or would you shorten it to the second/main part of their rank? (i.e. call a major general: general?")

Also trying to figure out if field marshal would be reduced to marshal, but that rank here in the UK is a little more obscure.

Yeah in the British and commonwealth forces non commissioned members above the rank of warrant are usually sergeant major when you address them, or sir/ma'am until they correct you. A field marshal would be a sir/ma'am until he or she tells you they work for a living. Then it's whatever is customary, usually based on corps/trade or regiment.

Officers above your rank are always sir/ma'am, below are usually rank and last name unless you're friends or in the Air Force.

This is one of the most annoying things about watching movies when you're in the army. Nobody is going to call a major "major" as a shithead corporal, and it's glaringly obvious to anyone who knows. But so are awful movie berets.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Are there downsides to leaving a rice cooker turned on 24 hours a day? Am I going to suffer a bill shock, and how bad is it this for me?

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
What is up with that 4-panel comic with the guy with 90s hair, who goes into a hospital, and gives an "i dunno" gesture with his arms? I think he ends up in the hospital bed? What does it mean? Where is it from?

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Our old buddy loss.jpg? It's from a boring webcomic called Ctrl+Alt+Del. The comic's about that guy rushing to the hospital to see his wife who just had a miscarriage. It was accompanied by a big wall of text by the writer justifying why they put a miscarriage in the story even though CAD is ostensibly a videogame jokes comic.

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Oct 23, 2015

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

tuyop posted:

A field marshal would be a sir/ma'am until he or she tells you they work for a living.

This phrase goes above my head very high, care to explain? Thanks!

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Dawncloack posted:

This phrase goes above my head very high, care to explain? Thanks!

It's a joke.

Non-commissioned officers worked their say through the ranks to get where they are, so saying they work for a living is a joke at the expense of commissioned officers, who would be referred to as 'sir' generally, implying commissioned officers didn't/don't do real work like they do. Bit of a blue/white collar thing.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Hey, how long can I keep my flu shot in the fridge?

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Oct 23, 2015

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

Thin Privilege posted:

What is up with that 4-panel comic with the guy with 90s hair, who goes into a hospital, and gives an "i dunno" gesture with his arms? I think he ends up in the hospital bed? What does it mean? Where is it from?

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/cadbortion-loss-edits

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
loving Windows 10. How do I disable the headphone jack recognition? My audio driver is Realtek HD.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Vegetable posted:

Are there downsides to leaving a rice cooker turned on 24 hours a day? Am I going to suffer a bill shock, and how bad is it this for me?
Depends on the size of the rice cooker. It's a heating element, which is among the most high-draw items in your house. Could be 600-1000 watts when it's going full bore.

If it kicks down to a "keep warm" setting when it's done, it's probably less - 50-100 watts maybe?

I'd guess average cost per KWH in the us is $0.15/hr. So if it was going full on at 1000W, it costs you $0.15/hr, or $3.60 a day. If it was just on "warm" and used 100 watts, $0.36/day.

I'm curious though - What would be the benefit?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

photomikey posted:

Depends on the size of the rice cooker. It's a heating element, which is among the most high-draw items in your house. Could be 600-1000 watts when it's going full bore.

If it kicks down to a "keep warm" setting when it's done, it's probably less - 50-100 watts maybe?

I'd guess average cost per KWH in the us is $0.15/hr. So if it was going full on at 1000W, it costs you $0.15/hr, or $3.60 a day. If it was just on "warm" and used 100 watts, $0.36/day.

I'm curious though - What would be the benefit?

You can cook rice and keep it warmed in a cooker for over 24 hours and it will still be good. Maintains texture, moisture, etc like its fresh.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Ok. I'd say that it's no different in cost than keeping a coffee maker on warm after it's done brewing.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

photomikey posted:

Ok. I'd say that it's no different in cost than keeping a coffee maker on warm after it's done brewing.

Leaving a to

Lawnie posted:

You can cook rice and keep it warmed in a cooker for over 24 hours and it will still be good. Maintains texture, moisture, etc like its fresh.

Except it had 24 hours for bacteria to grow in an optimal environment.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Lawnie posted:

It might depend on the rice cooker.... I do know after 24 hours the rice in my rice cooker gets kind of stale and I would not want to eat it plain; fried rice maybe but it really depends on how it feels like when I get to it.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
- Why is it that crops leech nutrients from the soil (requiring fallow periods or crop rotation) when trees/bushes/grasses live their entire lives in the same soil and don't die out from sucking all the non-water stuff they need over the course of their life spans?

- What are the slightly-raised spans of concrete between lanes on highways, and where can I find some information on how they are constructed? (Specifically, are they solid concrete or just have slabs over dirt?)

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Will hardware stores refuse to make a copy of a key if it says "Do Not Duplicate" on it? The obvious answer is yes, but I swear I heard that was one of those things that is just kind of ignored.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

OctoberBlues posted:

Will hardware stores refuse to make a copy of a key if it says "Do Not Duplicate" on it? The obvious answer is yes, but I swear I heard that was one of those things that is just kind of ignored.

Most hardware stores won't care, and even for the ones that do, they certainly aren't going to check underneath every one of those colored key handle cover thingies.

What might end up stopping you is that a lot of locks that are intended to have "do not duplicate" keys will use a weird kind of key blank that hardware stores just don't carry. I once tried to make a backup copy of the office master key and the hardware store just didn't have the right kind of blank to make one. I'm sure it's possible to find the right blanks on ebay or something, but I wasn't actually trying to do anything nefarious so I just went through building management to request another copy.

Practical upshot, there may or may not be small deterrents in the way of copying one.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

MisterBibs posted:

- Why is it that crops leech nutrients from the soil (requiring fallow periods or crop rotation) when trees/bushes/grasses live their entire lives in the same soil and don't die out from sucking all the non-water stuff they need over the course of their life spans?

- What are the slightly-raised spans of concrete between lanes on highways, and where can I find some information on how they are constructed? (Specifically, are they solid concrete or just have slabs over dirt?)

1. This is complicated but the simple answer is that trees in forests are part of a complex ecosystem that sort of takes care of the soil problem. They suck up nutrients, turn them into leaves and fruit, those things die and get consumed and turned into poo poo by creatures that consume them, then bacteria and fungi turn the poo poo into nutrients and the soil is replenished. Many agricultural techniques try to mimic this process with more or less success. This is why farmers spread manure, also why permaculture works and why some systems of farming are more sustainable than others. Compare the three sisters guild to a monocropped corn lot, for instance.

2. This is called a median. Some of these are barriers made of concrete on top of the road surface, others are stretches of green space.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

OctoberBlues posted:

I have had a number of these keys in my life and never had any trouble getting them duplicated. In fact, ironically, after paying $2.50 to get a key made, I've asked if they could stamp "do not duplicate" on the new one, and they've had no problem doing it.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

tuyop posted:

2. This is called a median. Some of these are barriers made of concrete on top of the road surface, others are stretches of green space.

Thanks. I was asking because there are some medians on some roads I drive where they look like they are made of concrete, but during this summer they sprouted grass taller than myself!

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

There is a website that has an annoying background color and I get rid of it by doing Inspect element in chrome and changing the background color from the hex value to "white"

Is there an easy way to do something like that for the comedy gas chamber threads? It's (obviously) a little difficult to read.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
I managed to make YOSPOS readable by injecting some javascript through greasemonkey on firefox, and I think this is a built-in feature in chrome, but it was though. You may also use Awful for example, an android app, that opens every forum with the same formating.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

HMS Boromir posted:

Our old buddy loss.jpg? It's from a boring webcomic called Ctrl+Alt+Del. The comic's about that guy rushing to the hospital to see his wife who just had a miscarriage. It was accompanied by a big wall of text by the writer justifying why they put a miscarriage in the story even though CAD is ostensibly a videogame jokes comic.

That's it, thanks!

e: the gis search results for loss.jpg are amazing

Thin Privilege fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Oct 25, 2015

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

OctoberBlues posted:

There is a website that has an annoying background color and I get rid of it by doing Inspect element in chrome and changing the background color from the hex value to "white"

Is there an easy way to do something like that for the comedy gas chamber threads? It's (obviously) a little difficult to read.

Have a look at the Stylish addon for either Chrome or Firefox. It allows you to use custom css on pages you specify.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

OctoberBlues posted:

Adblock the gas chamber css and it'll just look like the rest of the forums

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
What does it feel like to crave a cigarette?

Is it like craving food, like chocolate, or coffee?

Or like the need to relieve a physical urge, like taking a leak, or sitting down after a long walk, or stopping to catch your breath when you're exercising?

What is it you specifically crave? The taste? The sensation of inhaling smoke? Something more abstract?

What's it like?

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Oct 25, 2015

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Popcorn posted:

Or like the need to relieve a physical urge, like taking a leak, or sitting down after a long walk, or stopping to catch your breath when you're exercising?

What is it you specifically crave? The taste? The sensation of inhaling smoke? Something more abstract?

What's it like?

Man, this is a really hard question to answer because it's an entirely subjective sensation.

Basically, in my experience, as you move farther from your last dose of nicotine you experience a vague stress. You get wound up and sort of grumpy and uncomfortable in a very faint but present way. It's not the actual act of smoking that's rewarding, it's the way smoking takes care of this sensation and you might associate the habit of smoking with that relief. Its hard though because if you associate it with waking up or going outside for a break or having a coffee, then you also just want to do those things and you feel like they're better with a cigarette or the cigarette enables them.

In the same way, you may see other people smoking and be hit by this understanding like, "Man, that would be good right now." Even if you don't feel like you need a cigarette. Alcohol is also similar that way in my experience.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!

tuyop posted:

Basically, in my experience, as you move farther from your last dose of nicotine you experience a vague stress. You get wound up and sort of grumpy and uncomfortable in a very faint but present way.

How do you associate that with nicotine?

Sometimes if I go without caffeine for a while I get a headache. But it's not obviously because I haven't had any caffeine; I have to think "I wonder why I have this headache? Hm, maybe it's a caffeine withdrawal." But speaking personally, even though I drink a lot of caffeine, I don't then feel like I want to drink any. The pain and the need to drink to caffeine aren't linked.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Popcorn posted:

What's it like?

In a routine everyday context it's the feeling/thought that what you should do right now, more than anything, is smoke a cigarette. And if you're experiencing any stress or discomfort, you can't escape the idea that a cigarette would make you feel better (even if that often isn't true). It mostly relates to routines, "empty moments" and the like. If you could keep yourself occupied & stress-free, you'd suffer few cravings if at all.

Smoking while drinking, after a meal etc. is a bit different, because then the cig is usually genuinely enjoyable, and it's more simply hedonistic - you don't need the craving to enjoy a cig while drunk.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Popcorn posted:

The routine and cultural aspects of smoking. It's also a bit different from caffeine as a sensation, though if you were tired you would think it'd be a good idea to have a coffee, even though that's much more cognitive than the way smoking works it's still a similar thing. You're stressed, or it's break time, or you're getting into your car, etc. At those times you want a cigarette because you'll feel better and/or because you always have a cigarette and it feels off to go without.

The effects are also so obvious and consistent, unlike caffeine for which you develop a crazy tolerance, that it's pretty clear to smokers what they're feeling and why.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur

Popcorn posted:

Sometimes if I go without caffeine for a while I get a headache. But it's not obviously because I haven't had any caffeine; I have to think "I wonder why I have this headache? Hm, maybe it's a caffeine withdrawal." But speaking personally, even though I drink a lot of caffeine, I don't then feel like I want to drink any. The pain and the need to drink to caffeine aren't linked.
It's a lot like that, just multiplied by a thousand. You don't get headaches, or tiredness like with caffeine withdraw, what I felt was like some discomfort that would make me anxious and bad tempered. And it's not just because of the substance, as the other guys said it's a lot about how smoking cigarettes are ingrained in your routine. When I quit smoking after 10 years of smoking 2 packs a day used a nicotine patch and some nicotine lozenges for when the cravings peaked. Patches deliver a constant linear supply of nicotine but your cravings vary so lozenges were a great way to counter that. I could clearly feel the craving reducing because of the patches, but the routine would increase the craving on the moments of the day I associated more with smoking like after eating, right after waking up, when waiting for something, etc. It's like 1/3 routine and 2/3 nicotine. Still, even with cravings kind of controlled by the regular supply of nicotine, the first week the discomfort was on nightmarish levels, working was much harder since I felt like I was submerged in molasses, like I was a bit detached from the world around me, feels a bit like when you're sleep deprived but without the tiredness.

program666 fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Oct 25, 2015

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
E: ^^^ this dude gets it

A previous poster may have mentioned something about how being a smoker is nearly constantly on your mind. In my experience there's almost always a nagging feeling that I need to go do something, and it only gets worse and more oppressive the longer I go without a cigarette or some other engaging distraction. It's a nearly constant feeling that you need to find some way to get outside to have a smoke sometime in the next hour, which can get very distracting, and troublesome when you really don't have that opportunity.

Really it's just an awful feeling I wouldn't wish on anyone, don't ever start smoking. Except for all the good stuff about smoking, like guaranteed social group at a bar and also it looks cool, it's the worse thing I've ever done

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Lawnie posted:

A previous poster may have mentioned something about how being a smoker is nearly constantly on your mind. In my experience there's almost always a nagging feeling that I need to go do something, and it only gets worse and more oppressive the longer I go without a cigarette or some other engaging distraction. It's a nearly constant feeling that you need to find some way to get outside to have a smoke sometime in the next hour, which can get very distracting, and troublesome when you really don't have that opportunity.

It's funny, I've quit smoking at work lately, and it seems that I've usually spent so much time and mental effort on, like, preparing to have a cig, that even if I've exchanged smoking for drinking insane amounts of tea and practising the mandoline (I work from home), I've still got So Much more done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

MisterBibs posted:

I think its mostly because with crops most of the crop is removed for sale/consumption. Nutrients are taken from the ground and then simply exit the system.

Most of a tree remains there with only a small ratio leaving as fruit. Theres also a lot of nitrogen return from leaves that fall, and all sorts of worms and whatnot from that decomposition and shade from the tree.