Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Laputanmachine posted:

Teppu is (or was) pretty extraordinary in that it was about girls/young women MMA and it wasn't beachballboob bimbos making out with each other.

It's a drat shame it ended way too soon.

All Rounder Meguru doesn't focus on women like Teppu but the women in the story are depicted very well overall and aren't overly sexualized. Hell most of the women in the story can destroy the main male characters at this point.

Sadly, it doesn't update too often but if you like Teppu I can't see it being unenjoyable. It gets way more into the techniques in the fight and IMO does a nice job explaining them. Good research on the authors part and no character wins because they "develop a secret punch" or "win because of superior japanese spirit" or crap like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
someone sell me on keyman

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
The main character is not only a detective, he's a t-rex

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
"It's tough being a hard-working hard-drinking t-rex cop in this dark and mixed-up town."

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

That Works posted:

All Rounder Meguru doesn't focus on women like Teppu but the women in the story are depicted very well overall and aren't overly sexualized. Hell most of the women in the story can destroy the main male characters at this point.

Sadly, it doesn't update too often but if you like Teppu I can't see it being unenjoyable. It gets way more into the techniques in the fight and IMO does a nice job explaining them. Good research on the authors part and no character wins because they "develop a secret punch" or "win because of superior japanese spirit" or crap like that.

Meguru is a great manga with probably the most realistic fighting sport depiction in manga generally. There's a lot of chapters in japanese too, but lately no one's picking it up.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Literally The Worst posted:

It has a different tone from most manga in a way that I really like. Most of the characters aren't really typical manga stereotypes (aside from arguably Dr. Necro in some ways).

Also, it is one of the seemingly 10% of all manga that clearly have a story they want to tell (rather than being made up as they go along) and are paced well.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Ytlaya posted:

Dorohedoro has plenty of awkwardly illustrated titties, and the devil that's the doctor's wife is pretty sexy in her human form.

Nikaido gets her gigantic tits out all the time and lot of the time the author doesn't bother drawing a huge amount of attention to it and it's just kind of there which makes it funny.

muike fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Oct 25, 2015

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

No.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

I was not very interested in keyman but then I tried it and it was very good and not at all what I expected beyond Alex Rex being the baddassest Tyrannosaurus Rex cop in 1930s-esque not-new york with a sinister supernatural plot happening that he gets sucked up in

It's funny, it's graphic as hell without necessarily being extravagant with it most of the time like immortal hounds, it's dramatic, it's got a couple of cute romances, and the lady cop has righteous baps

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

muike posted:

Nikaido gets her gigantic tits out all the time and lot of the time the author doesn't bother drawing a huge amount of attention to it and it's just kind of there which makes it funny.

Dorohedoro is done by a female author and it shows, if a character has big breasts, well, that's just a physical feature. With lots of other (male) authors, the reason to have a character with big breasts is to have fanservice or at least to have sexy♥ character.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Also both Nikaido and Noi are built like brick shithouses since one is a mechanic-slash-cook and the other is a mafia enforcer so it looks way less stupid than a waif-thin girl with balloons stapled to her.

I wish Dorohedoro would end soon so I have an excuse to read it all from scratch.

Wookie Bouquet
Jan 27, 2013

Too tsundere to drive.

Pierson posted:

Also both Nikaido and Noi are built like brick shithouses since one is a mechanic-slash-cook and the other is a mafia enforcer so it looks way less stupid than a waif-thin girl with balloons stapled to her.

I wish Dorohedoro would end soon so I have an excuse to read it all from scratch.

Heard a rumor that it's going to go for one more book, with 138 the first chapter, so should be done early/mid next-yearish?

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Wookie Bouquet posted:

Heard a rumor that it's going to go for one more book, with 138 the first chapter, so should be done early/mid next-yearish?

Really? Last chapter I read it seemed like it was pretty close to the endgame.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Captain Invictus posted:

I was not very interested in keyman but then I tried it and it was very good and not at all what I expected beyond Alex Rex being the baddassest Tyrannosaurus Rex cop in 1930s-esque not-new york with a sinister supernatural plot happening that he gets sucked up in

It's funny, it's graphic as hell without necessarily being extravagant with it most of the time like immortal hounds, it's dramatic, it's got a couple of cute romances, and the lady cop has righteous baps

next time, lead off w/ the righteous baps, tia

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Captain Invictus posted:

I gave it a shot. I'm not sure about it it. Alex is cool, the city is cool. Necro is embarrassing and gross. Boob cop is cool. I like how dirty the action scene art is, to a point. Some of the panels are just confusing, though. 6 chapters in and I'll probably drop it unless chapter 7 is particularly good.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Chas McGill posted:

I gave it a shot. I'm not sure about it it. Alex is cool, the city is cool. Necro is embarrassing and gross. Boob cop is cool. I like how dirty the action scene art is, to a point. Some of the panels are just confusing, though. 6 chapters in and I'll probably drop it unless chapter 7 is particularly good.

Necro becomes better later, once you find out more about who she is and why she looks the way she does.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Ytlaya posted:

Necro becomes better later, once you find out more about who she is and why she looks the way she does.

She becomes a better character, sure, but her design is still gross. I like Keyman but all the fanservice is definitely a problem, especially early on. And it didn't really live up to its premise of "dinosaur detective investigates superhero murder", a lot of it is just weird magic fights.

The art style is great, I just wish the author wasn't so obsessed with huge boobs and tentacles.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I just finished reading Dorohedoro. It was a trip and a half filled with bizarre and surreal imagery and characters, as well as violence and gore. And tits. And gyoza.

... I think that covers everything.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
So Dorohedoro's actually finished now?

I've been holding off on reading it all this time, waiting for it to be over so I could read it all in one fell swoop.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's almost, but not quite finished.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

It's probably going to finish in 2016, but who knows how long it might run.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Begemot posted:

She becomes a better character, sure, but her design is still gross. I like Keyman but all the fanservice is definitely a problem, especially early on. And it didn't really live up to its premise of "dinosaur detective investigates superhero murder", a lot of it is just weird magic fights.

The art style is great, I just wish the author wasn't so obsessed with huge boobs and tentacles.

I think I pretty much agree with what you're saying. For some reason the big tits and what have you in Keyman never felt quite as fanservice-y as what you usually see in manga, though I have trouble articulating exactly why. Like, the art style used in Keyman doesn't seem to result in any of the female characters looking remotely attractive (similar to the way nudity looks in Dorohedoro).

I think that, for all its faults, Keyman is still worth reading just because it has a story it wants to tell and does a good job of telling it. I can overlook any number of issues as long as I'm still curious about where a story is going.

edit: So I just read this comic 17-sai and it was depressing as hell. These guys abduct and rape/abuse this girl, and it seems to be a retelling of the real life Junko Furuta case. To be honest, I can't really recommend it. It's just too realistic and upsetting.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Oct 27, 2015

coathat
May 21, 2007

R.I.P dude who drew really good and sexy manga. You will be missed. http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-10-27/manga-creator-koji-miyata-passes-away-at-34/.94669

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Pierson posted:

I want Noi to crush my skull with her powerful thighs and arms.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
There's a new Shiori Experience chapter out and you guys best go read it right the gently caress now :stare:

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Mraagvpeine posted:

I just finished reading Dorohedoro. It was a trip and a half filled with bizarre and surreal imagery and characters, as well as violence and gore. And tits. And gyoza.

... I think that covers everything.

I feel like the series getting popular created some kinda weird contractual nikado must stop wearing clothes and is now basically retarded instead of always wears clothes and drop kicks lots of dudes, other than that it was a hell of a ride after the last chapter the ending seems pretty clear cut unless something totally insane happens which is of course always a possibility.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Mikl posted:

There's a new Shiori Experience chapter out and you guys best go read it right the gently caress now :stare:

Yes. SOmething good happens, and then a new hoepfully awesome character is hinted at. poo poo be gettin' real.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Mikl posted:

Yess. Looking forward to this.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Mikl posted:

This manga rocks. An enemy stand rockstar has appeared!!

Compendium fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Oct 27, 2015

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

It's going to a ghost music legend gathering and There Can Be Only One.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

I will read his sexy manga, in his memory. RIP.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Mikl posted:

That's a helluva final page, for sure.

"This manga's turning into jojo but with dead musicians instead of punchghosts" indeed

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLV4_xaYynY

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I want to see the documentary come out and the bad teacher's inevitable reaction to it.

edit: I'm also guessing that documentary will become the stepping stone to her/the band becoming a legend outside of just the school.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Oct 28, 2015

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Mikl posted:

Yeah, this was a cool direction for the story to take. Also, finally good things happened.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
Pretty disappointing no one's translated the final chapter of Fort Of The Apocalypse (legal or otherwise)

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Captain Invictus posted:

That's a helluva final page, for sure.

"This manga's turning into jojo but with dead musicians instead of punchghosts" indeed

Okay, that caught my attention. I guess I'll check out this series then.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Relin posted:

Pretty disappointing no one's translated the final chapter of Fort Of The Apocalypse (legal or otherwise)

Did something past the abrupt final chapter come out?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
A couple new chapters of School Live came out.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Gakkou-Gurashi/Gakkou-Gurashi--040----Read-Online?id=245719

There is a new character with huge baps who is good at combat so I doubt she lasts for very long

Also, seems like Ruu might be real after all, if she's being held and riding around on Yuki's shoulders. Or Yuki could just have a large teddy bear on her shoulders, either or

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So is it pretty much confirmed at this point that Yuki is completely sane but fakes it to cheer up everyone?