Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

majormonotone posted:

Had some friends over today. Nintendo Land: still the perfect party game.

I would buy fleshed-out standalone versions of Zelda Battle Quest, Mario Chase, and the Luigi's Mansion minigame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Andrast posted:

What would a Taint Reaper amiibo unlock in games?

Automatically labels all your Miiverse posts as spoilers.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

The Lobster posted:

So I've heard they finally succeeded in making an OK Adventure Time game? I don't buy licensed games at launch but has anybody played the one that just came out? Will it be worth spending $20 on eventually? How soon do you think it'll reach that price point?

The other ones go on sale every now and again, so I'm sure this one will too.

The new one is basically a point-and-click game and I don't think it's a great game or a huge step above the others - the puzzles are barely even puzzles and the combat sections are boring and completely unnecessary, but there's lots of VA so I'm sure people will enjoy it regardless.

I played the PS4 version, I can't vouch for the Wii U port but it's not a pretty game so I can't imagine it being too bad on Wii U.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Quest For Glory II posted:

Get and play The Munchables

Hey I actually did this, it's pretty good so far. Only on the first world but it's a satisfying Katamari-alike.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Wooly World is so very good. The only game my girlfriend has 100%ed or ever given a poo poo about was Yoshi's Island (SNES) when she was a kid, but she's having a blast cooping this.

AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*

Fuligin posted:

Wooly World is so very good. The only game my girlfriend has 100%ed or ever given a poo poo about was Yoshi's Island (SNES) when she was a kid, but she's having a blast cooping this.

Yeah, I picked it up because my daughter (9) mainly likes co-op games and she's absolutely loving it. I'm liking it quite a bit myself as well.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I think I really need to buy the extended life battery for my gamepad. I think its battery has gone down to under 1 hour because it spent way too long on the charging cable when the WiiU first came out. I'd just sat down for some Mario Making and less than an hour later the red light already went off.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

epitasis posted:

splatoon is boring

I'm disappointed in you

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

FPzero posted:

I think I really need to buy the extended life battery for my gamepad. I think its battery has gone down to under 1 hour because it spent way too long on the charging cable when the WiiU first came out. I'd just sat down for some Mario Making and less than an hour later the red light already went off.

I have the extended battery and Mario Maker eats through that thing too. Probably because it keeps polling the NFC reader for the amiibo stuff.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

FPzero posted:

I think I really need to buy the extended life battery for my gamepad. I think its battery has gone down to under 1 hour because it spent way too long on the charging cable when the WiiU first came out.

Unless I'm mistaken, that doesn't happen with modern rechargeable batteries.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

raditts posted:

You're mistaken

e: Maybe I misunderstood your point, leaving them plugged in too long doesn't affect modern batteries much since most modern devices have a protection circuit once the charge level hits full. The batteries are still as susceptible to degradation as ever, in any case, lithium ions being especially susceptible to deterioration of the cathode.

Not a Children fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Oct 25, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

raditts posted:

It happens with all Li-On batteries, they just last longer before it happens nowadays.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Andrast posted:

Mario Party is supposed to make you hate everything (especially your friends). MP10 is just kind of boring.

A round of Mario Party is like a round of Risk. If it doesn't end with someone coming out of a fugue state wondering why they're soaked to the elbows in blood, surrounded by the charred bones of those they once called brothers, then something wasn't done right.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

absolutely anything posted:

I have the extended battery and Mario Maker eats through that thing too. Probably because it keeps polling the NFC reader for the amiibo stuff.

Okay cool it's not just me, I was beginning to think I had a faulty extended battery or something.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The other ones go on sale every now and again, so I'm sure this one will too.

The new one is basically a point-and-click game and I don't think it's a great game or a huge step above the others - the puzzles are barely even puzzles and the combat sections are boring and completely unnecessary, but there's lots of VA so I'm sure people will enjoy it regardless.

I played the PS4 version, I can't vouch for the Wii U port but it's not a pretty game so I can't imagine it being too bad on Wii U.

Cool, thanks for your input!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

A round of Mario Party is like a round of Risk. If it doesn't end with someone coming out of a fugue state wondering why they're soaked to the elbows in blood, surrounded by the charred bones of those they once called brothers, then something wasn't done right.

The best rounds are ones that you don't remember a thing past suggesting playing a round. Yet there you are, waking to find yourself feasting on the remains of your best friends and family in hollow revenge for stealing your hard-earned stars.

Not to mention being able to bring a life-long friendship to a knife's edge just by saying certain words out of context at any point afterwards.

Bowser's Chance Time.

Fly with me
Aug 19, 2006

Single-handedly repopulating the Earth.

So I picked up the YWW+Amiibo bundle, but the only way I could get it past the wife was to tell her it is a Christmas present for the family.
Judging by the posts here, this is going to be a long two months.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://twitter.com/NintendoEurope/status/657542168790355968

quote:

Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition will arrive on #WiiU #eShop on 29/10 and will have a 25% discount until 05/11.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

:colbert:

Fly with me posted:

So I picked up the YWW+Amiibo bundle, but the only way I could get it past the wife was to tell her it is a Christmas present for the family.
Judging by the posts here, this is going to be a long two months.

You could probably swing a Mega Woolly Yoshi amiibo as well that way :v:.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Not even pompoming in sync. Shameful.

No wonder he was cut.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
If you haven't played Resident Evil 4 by now, you need to buy it on VC because it is honestly one of the best games of all time.

It's too bad they're not doing a pretty HD remaster, but it's really an outstanding game that everyone should enjoy.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
So did I miss something and USA isn't getting Resident Evil 4?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
NOE has a tendency to announce things in advance, NOA doesn't. We probably won't know if NA is or isn't getting it until next week's update.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Not a Children posted:

You're mistaken

e: Maybe I misunderstood your point, leaving them plugged in too long doesn't affect modern batteries much since most modern devices have a protection circuit once the charge level hits full. The batteries are still as susceptible to degradation as ever, in any case, lithium ions being especially susceptible to deterioration of the cathode.

Li-ions degrade over time but I thought it was only NiCd and NiMH that suffered from memory effects from being kept topped up.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

"Hi i'm someone who doesn't like caption toad or splatoon. Please ignore everything else I have to say because I have stupid opinions about video games thank you in advance. Now if you'll excuse me I'll go play some boring AAA crap that isn't actually fun"

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

:yeah:

Anyway, I really hope US get's RE4. I kept meaning to pick it up if I saw a used copy at gamestop after I played RE:Revelations, but I never got around to it.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

you're off the team, purple

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Devil's Third is better than Captain Toad.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Devil's Third is better than Captain Toad.

That's... Kinda hosed up. Seek help.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

LethalGeek posted:

"Hi i'm someone who doesn't like caption toad or splatoon. Please ignore everything else I have to say because I have stupid opinions about video games thank you in advance. Now if you'll excuse me I'll go play some boring AAA crap that isn't actually fun"

Caption Toad is pretty bad. It's just a quiz game about famous Toad quotes. Every answer is "I'M DA BEST!"

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

greatn posted:

Caption Toad is pretty bad. It's just a quiz game about famous Toad quotes. Every answer is "I'M DA BEST!"

I'd still play it

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Captain Toad is the best WiiU game to come out this year

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Okay I bought a Wii U, and it's pretty cool, but I've found that I can't get 5.1 audio out. My receiver is about seven years old and only supports HDMI pass-through to the TV - it needs optical to do 5.1. The Wii U only has HDMI out - no optical. So I tried connecting it directly to the TV and using the optical out from there to the receiver, but it's only getting PCM stereo. I'm guessing this is because the Wii U, for some reason, also doesn't support Dolby Digital or DTS encoding (which the TV can receive and output just fine) so it's only outputting PCM, which is uncompressed and optical is only capable of carrying 2.0 PCM.

This is kind of annoying because it's not an issue for literally every single other surround-sound supporting device made in the last decade; I assume Nintendo just cheaped out on audio support, which is mad considering the price of the drat thing. Is there such a thing as a device that could sit between the Wii and the TV's HDMI-in, encode the audio to DD/DTS and then either send it on to the TV or split off via optical to the receiver, and if so is it going to add a huge amount of lag to the display? Or am I just going to have to bite the bullet and buy a new receiver?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

You can get an HDMI audio extractor that splits the audio off into SPDIF, but they don't usually reencode it also.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Macaluso posted:

Captain Toad is the best WiiU game to come out this year

no

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
It's a fun little romp, but yeah I wouldn't call it that at all.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

homeless snail posted:

You can get an HDMI audio extractor that splits the audio off into SPDIF, but they don't usually reencode it also.

I thought that was probably the case.

Oh well, I was thinking of getting a new receiver in the next year, so I can have 7.1 goodness. Not going to rush out just for one device, though. At least I can tell the receiver to use Pro Logic II so I get a fake 5.1.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

yes

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Quote-Unquote posted:

Okay I bought a Wii U, and it's pretty cool, but I've found that I can't get 5.1 audio out. My receiver is about seven years old and only supports HDMI pass-through to the TV - it needs optical to do 5.1. The Wii U only has HDMI out - no optical. So I tried connecting it directly to the TV and using the optical out from there to the receiver, but it's only getting PCM stereo. I'm guessing this is because the Wii U, for some reason, also doesn't support Dolby Digital or DTS encoding (which the TV can receive and output just fine) so it's only outputting PCM, which is uncompressed and optical is only capable of carrying 2.0 PCM.

This is kind of annoying because it's not an issue for literally every single other surround-sound supporting device made in the last decade; I assume Nintendo just cheaped out on audio support, which is mad considering the price of the drat thing. Is there such a thing as a device that could sit between the Wii and the TV's HDMI-in, encode the audio to DD/DTS and then either send it on to the TV or split off via optical to the receiver, and if so is it going to add a huge amount of lag to the display? Or am I just going to have to bite the bullet and buy a new receiver?

Its a bit of a dumb and patronizing question but you actually set the Wii U to 5.1 audio mode in the settings right? It doesn't auto detect display settings like screen size, output reso, overscan audio output well / at all depending on the setting.
- someone who uses their Wii U on a large variety of displays

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Quote-Unquote posted:

The audio settings in the Wii U allow you to use the composite cables as audio only if you turn it on, would that help?

• Locked thread