Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

http://store.steampowered.com/app/351060/

Well, someone made a Thing game... where you play as the dog!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Speedball posted:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/351060/

Well, someone made a Thing game... where you play as the dog!

quote:

Outpost 13 is a point and click adventure strategy game where you, a monster, must escape an icy planet by strategically killing off crew members while maintaining your cover as "Fen" the crew's pet dog. Play smart and you might just make it off-world alive.
OK this sounds really cool. I definitely want to see what the actual gameplay looks like when it releases first, but that's an awesome concept.

I completely missed that this was a Kickstarter last year, they only wanted about $2400 which they doubled after one unsuccessful Kickstarter. Didn't make the XBox One stretch goal though.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yeah, that has loads of potential. I'm definitely keeping my eye on that.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

:spooky: RETURN OF THE 31 DAYS OF MOSTLY SPOOKY GAMES :spooky:

1. Knock-knock
2. CAPSULE
3. DARK
4. System Shock 2
5. Castle in the Darkness
6. Shattered Haven
7. Whispering Willows
8. Frankenstein: Master of Death
9. Kraven Manor
10. Our Darker Purpose
11. Stray Cat Crossing
12. Splatter - Blood Red Edition
13. The Emptiness Deluxe Edition
14. Clandestinity of Elsie
15. The Last Door - Collector's Edition
16. Albedo: Eyes From Outer Space
17. Murdered: Soul Suspect
18. Unholy Heights
19. Claire
20. Belladonna
21. Hektor
22. Neverending Nightmares
23. Decay: The Mare

24. Uncanny Valley

(More store screenshots, overlay was busted for me.)

Right off the bat, Uncanny Valley gets points for doing something very few horror games do. It's a game that purports to give you control over the story, letting you actions affect the outcome. If you played Home, it's the same thing that game tried to do and failed completely at. Uncanny Valley actually makes it work, and the result is an intense and engaging game that you REALLY have to meet halfway.

You're Tom, an unremarkable everyman with some remarkably terrible dreams. You take a job as the night watchman at some abandoned facility up in the mountains, trading off with some fat jerkoff named Buck on watching the empty offices and halls. Right away, the game makes good on its promise. After Buck gives you the 60-second tour, you're free to wander wherever and do whatever you want. There's the facility proper with 4 floors, a warehouse, and a secure sector to explore, there's the apartment complex and its 4 floors of rooms, and there are some smaller areas like the woods and generator building. Within these mysterious environs you will find keycards, cassette tapes, and PCs still logged into their company emails for some weird reason. There's not a huge amount of stuff to interact with, but there's a lot of ground to cover and some clever connections between all the pieces.

The catch is that you still have a job to do. You're supposed to show up to your shift on time, stay in the facility until it ends, and get back to bed before you pass out. That doesn't leave a whole lot of time to comb the whole place, so you really need to pay attention to the clues and follow up on them intelligently instead of turning the whole building upside-down. You certainly have the option of going rogue and doing whatever you want, but there are consequences for that. It's worth trying, too, because there's a surprising number of fates Tom can meet, depending on what you do.

That really turns out to be the heart of the game, how much you're willing to experiment and work to get the whole story. I bungled my first playthrough so badly that I got unceremoniously thrust right into the dark secret of the place, which I again failed to escape and got possibly the worst end I have ever seen for a protagonist. On my second attempt I managed to work out some pretty vague puzzles and escaped the whole security job portion of the game entirely, moving into a proper survival horror crawl with weapons and healing items and video tapes and more. There was an entirely different back half to the game I hadn't even seen the first time! And that's cool, very cool, but it's going to leave you cold on the game if you don't work to find that. I mean, imagine if you never found the second castle in Symphony of the Night.

The journey to uncover the game's secrets is a pretty harrowing one, as well. The creature designs and animations are on point, as are the sound cues and music. I think I got my biggest scare in recent memory from this game thanks to a particularly excellent encounter design. That care and detail unfortunately doesn't extend to the game's inventory system, which can be cumbersome to deal with, but also somewhat underused. There are numerous bugs with the interface as well, with menus and interactables not getting proper focus and having your character scoot around as you try to manipulate something else.

Polish gripes aside, the only thing you need to ask yourself before picking up Uncanny Valley is, how hard are you willing to work to enjoy it? If you only spend an hour on it running around the empty offices, you're bound to be disappointed. It's only when you dig in, make the connections, and commit the time and attention that its brilliance starts to show through. That means it's definitely not for everyone, but for my part it's worth the effort.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
That ps3 siren game is really fun for what it is (and is also on sale for 6$). The episodes seem really dang short, but I enjoy what I've seen of it

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Zombie Samurai posted:

24. Uncanny Valley

(More store screenshots, overlay was busted for me.)

drat, that sounds really cool....I may have to pick this one up. How jump-scary is it?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Just found out Fatal Frame V's creepy, slutty, tiny bikini costumes were replaced with classic Nintendo characters costumes like Samus for the western release.

That owns.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Volt Catfish posted:

Just found out Fatal Frame V's creepy, slutty, tiny bikini costumes were replaced with classic Nintendo characters costumes like Samus for the western release.

That owns.

The best part is people got mad due to censorship.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Mr E posted:

Clearly they were important to the depth of the plot.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Morpheus posted:

drat, that sounds really cool....I may have to pick this one up. How jump-scary is it?

I hate jumpscares, and it wasn't too bad on that front. They do hit you with a few, and one of them was one of the most effective I've ever seen. On the whole they feel fitting and earned.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Mr E posted:

For me it's that by replacing the costumes instead of just removing or painting over them, it's conceptually no different from a game with region exclusive content. It's only "censorship" because they removed a character's underwear.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Is Scratches really gone from all legitimate sources? Apparently legal problems got it pulled from Steam and GOG and I was never able to buy it beforehand.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
I played about 20 mins of Uncanny Valley a long while ago before dropping it mostly due to other things going on, so thanks for the review and motivation to get back into it. I was digging its style.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Fatal Frame 5's got plenty of creepy stuff, like brother-sister incest without needing to add T&A jiggle physics while wearing skimpy clothes on top of that.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Yeah, that review actually got me to buy Uncanny Valley and try it out!

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Captain Yossarian posted:

That ps3 siren game is really fun for what it is (and is also on sale for 6$). The episodes seem really dang short, but I enjoy what I've seen of it

Blood Curse is a remake of the first game. They reframed it slightly (the main characters are mostly American) but alot of the plot beats from the original are there.

It's also a lot easier to just Rambo episodes, playing more lime RE4 than prior REs.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Captain Yossarian posted:

The first episode is a single character, the rest have multiple chapters. I could never get into the ps2 version but I'm really digging siren, mostly because of its use of the screen. The game camera is set really close behind you, giving the already claustrophobic enviroments even more tension. On top of that, some characters can "sightjack", seeing what other friendlies or enemies see. This splits your screen vertically. It does a great job of emulating the focus someone would have in this situation by limiting your view, and does it in such a way that the tension outdoes the annoyance of being unable to see around you. I'm on chapter 4, hooked!

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

You're doing the Lord's work, Zombie Samurai. I really want to check out quite a few of those games now, although I still have too much stuff I haven't touched.

Someone brought up that Albino Lullaby's first episode is out now, and I finally got around to playing it. It is superbly weird, and touches on a deeply strange sort of horror that I really like to see more of. Here's hoping they can keep it up for the rest of the episodes.

Here's a quick clip that summarizes it pretty well I think: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nne9_McY_0o

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Yeah, super mega thanks for these Halloween reviews. I check for them every time there's a new post, they're great

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'd be kinda disappointed if I had to pirate Scratches. I beat it back when it was on OnLive and I had a subscription for it, and I suddenly got the urge to play it again and found that it's been removed from all legitimate vendors. Maybe I can find a CD on Amazon?

Edit: Yep, Amazon has copies. Questionable condition since virtually all of them are used, but it's probably the only way to legally get the game for now.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Oct 25, 2015

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

al-azad posted:

Regarding The Walking Dead season 2, what completely turned me off from buying it was reading about the treatment of the character Sarah especially the interviews with the writers who made it pretty clear that they had strong feelings about that particular character.

I'm pretty sure I wrote about this before but there's a certain level of nihilism in modern zombie fiction that just pisses me off. It's susceptible of crawling up its own rear end more so than any other genre I can think of. It almost invariably reaches a point where good story telling is tossed aside as the writers try to think of the best ways to shock the audience. It's all kind of poo poo in the end and you can usually see the breaking point where it just becomes pure fan service.

Yeah that story line in S2 was god drat terrible. The fact anyone likes Jane is beyond me, hate Kenny all you want but he would never use babies as bait to prove a point about how lovely someone else is.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

No review today, I'm afraid. The release date on this one snuck up on me, and now she's eating up all my time. She's still in early access, but if the first one is any indication, she'll turn out just fine.

Should be back on schedule tomorrow.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Zombie Samurai posted:

No review today, I'm afraid. The release date on this one snuck up on me, and now she's eating up all my time. She's still in early access, but if the first one is any indication, she'll turn out just fine.

Should be back on schedule tomorrow.

That's just adorable. Take your time with the reviews!

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

BillBear posted:

Yeah that story line in S2 was god drat terrible. The fact anyone likes Jane is beyond me, hate Kenny all you want but he would never use babies as bait to prove a point about how lovely someone else is.

I almost started laughing when I realised what she was up to. "Kenny is a real lovely guy, you don't want to hang around him. For proof, let's toss the baby he swore to protect in the trash and see what he does"

Monoclinic
Dec 10, 2005

chitoryu12 posted:

Yeah, that review actually got me to buy Uncanny Valley and try it out!

This is me, too. The game has a really creepy atmosphere. The interface is a little clunky as noted, but it works well enough. I feel like I still have a ton to discover, after a few playthroughs. Definitely builds tension effectively.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

I almost started laughing when I realised what she was up to. "Kenny is a real lovely guy, you don't want to hang around him. For proof, let's toss the baby he swore to protect in the trash and see what he does"

She's a broken person in an entirely different way from Kenny. She literally grew up in zombie shithole times and has some hosed up, isolationist reasonings for doing things. It's not like she trashed the baby and was just going to ditch it either. Game made out that she'd either hidden it away somewhere of it had been eaten. Either way, Kenny's flying off the handle without even asking anything and making huuuuge assumptions pretty much just proves her point about him. Basically I can forgive her hosed up reasoning way more than I could ever forgive any of Kenny's hosed up reasoning at any point in either game, except for maybe the part when his pops down to try and rescue that other dude. I tried to help Kenny, but Clementine couldn't be his Lee this time around and his hosed-upness just rages out of control.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

:lol: She didn't throw the baby "in the trash," it was never actually in danger, it was obvious the second she walked in the door without it what she was trying to do, if Kenny hadn't been a psychotic unhinged rear end in a top hat he could've stayed calm, but instead he decides that Jane didn't get attacked and tragically lose the baby, nope, Jane must've purposefully KILLED the baby and now she has to pay.

I would have picked Jane over Kenny any day and I don't get how Kenny manages to have defenders when the entire second half of the game could be titled Kenny's Stupidity And Insanity Ruins Everything. Frankly, the fact that the game railroads you into that final confrontation despite all that encapsulates why it was such a lovely sequel.

When it was revealed Kenny was the one that survived I literally groaned out of frustration.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Obviously I was exaggerating for comic effect, but it was still a hilariously cruel (to Kenny) way to prove a point. That said, I was very fond of Jane too and did a playthrough just to wordlessly shoot Kenny in the head after that because it was cool as gently caress and felt nicely poetic. Everybody in the situation was a (likable) shithead IMO

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
She left a loud baby alone in a car in a place that had zombies around, during a freezing blizzard. It's not the trash, but that's not what I'd describe as 'perfectly safe'. Kenny and Jane were both insane and I'm pretty sure that's the point.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Jane getting knifed was the best part of the last episode, barring the boatmaster being right and finding Wellington all good. Couldn't stand her at practically any point.

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

Something that bugged the poo poo out me in TWDs2 was you having the option to bring Christa up at numerous points in the game, but there being no payoff. Christa is just unceremoniously written out and would have made a much more natural choice as the "survivor" you meet at the lodge. Also, Nick and Sarah are just chucked aside regardless of whether or not you make an effort to help them out. I understand the budgeting reasons for giving two determinant characters small amounts of voiced lines but for god's sake Sarah had so much parallelism with Clementine, and they just trashed the character in ep4.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

The grandparents are taking over for me today so I can spend a few hours doing not-baby things, so allow me to start getting caught up. And don't worry, I knew this was all coming so I stayed several days ahead on reviews.

1. Knock-knock
2. CAPSULE
3. DARK
4. System Shock 2
5. Castle in the Darkness
6. Shattered Haven
7. Whispering Willows
8. Frankenstein: Master of Death
9. Kraven Manor
10. Our Darker Purpose
11. Stray Cat Crossing
12. Splatter - Blood Red Edition
13. The Emptiness Deluxe Edition
14. Clandestinity of Elsie
15. The Last Door - Collector's Edition
16. Albedo: Eyes From Outer Space
17. Murdered: Soul Suspect
18. Unholy Heights
19. Claire
20. Belladonna
21. Hektor
22. Neverending Nightmares
23. Decay: The Mare
24. Uncanny Valley

25. Black Mirror

(Fix your goddamned Steam overlays, retro publishers!)

Not every classic game ages well, and old adventure games tend to have shorter shelf lives than most. You still hear plenty about the standouts, your Monkey Islands and your King's Quests, the ones that were either designed well or were entertaining enough to overlook their design flaws. The others fell into obscurity as the genre grew quiet for a time, and that's where you'll find Black Mirror. Whether you want to revisit this dark gem depends on how much patience you have for some very old-fashioned designs.

Black Mirror places you in the role of Samuel Gordon, estranged son of British aristocracy. A tragedy has occurred at the ancestral castle of Black Mirror, and Samuel does the prodigal son thing to prove his hunch that foul play is afoot. The game is presented with pre-rendered backgrounds and basic 3D character models that hearken back to the PlayStation 1 era, leaving you shuffling stiffly around and spending a good twenty seconds pulling a photograph from your jacket. I don't know if it's a modern system issue or not, but some of the animations in the game are absolutely laborious, particularly during dialog. Still, the game retains a retro charm that will take you back to games like Baldur's Gate or Sanitarium in terms of appearance.

The charm extends to the voice acting in a big way, and I have to stress that you need a high tolerance for cheese if you want to make it through this thing. Frankly, I'm not convinced a single British person lent their voice to this game about British people. What you get is a bunch of unconvincing doofs doing silly accents and EMOTING the strangest PARTS of THEIR sentences. If it doesn't drive you crazy, you might find it as loveable as I did... the further in I got, the less dialog I would skip (but yes, you can click straight through dialog).

As far as the gameplay goes, you better have a walkthrough handy. Black Mirror never descends to cat moustache levels, but it has a needlessly complex interaction system that is sure to trip you up. As near as I can tell (no tutorial, of course), left-click is observe/interact, and right-click is... different interact. Every time you left-click on an object, you get a different response. Sometimes you only have to click once. Sometimes twice. Sometimes you have to left-click and then right-click. Sometimes you have to left-click three times and then right-click a different thing. There's so little consistency in interacting with the world, you're guaranteed to encounter at least one situation where you know exactly what to do, just not the sequence of clicks to accomplish it.

There's pixel-hunting, forced waiting, unexpected deaths, and even ways to doom yourself (though the consequence comes minutes, not hours, later) too. Pretty much any sin an adventure game can commit can be found here, but I must admit none are particularly damning in Black Mirror. The scenes tend to be clear and easy to navigate, without too many NPCs, which makes it easy to run through all your options when you get stumped. A map in the first few chapters provides some very welcome fast travel, and in a bit of genius design, double-clicking on the transition to another scene moves you instantly. Honestly, there were enough quality-of-life features to keep me from getting really frustrated at any of the flaws.

It's a long game, at least 15 hours all told, and while the story is a slow burn, it digs deep into its own mysteries. There's not enough energy or action to keep you engaged for long periods, but I found it a good substitute for hidden object or casual games as my go-to chillout activity. If you can look past the artifacts of its age and its admittedly rough design edges, you'll get a charming, meaty adventure to keep you occupied for hours on end.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
If I was going to buy only one scary game for Halloween, and I was going to choose between the following, which should I pick?

REmake PS4 port, which I like 'cause it's the cheapest.
Soma, which I like 'cause I never got to play Amnesia and it's second cheapest
Fatal Frame: Black Water or whatever it is, the one out for the Wii U.

I'm a big FF fan and am currently playing through the second with my girlfriend, who is into creepy twins and ghosts.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Soma is not your typical spook-fest. It goes for more subtle psychological scares, though it does also have monster hide-and-seek like Amnesia. The stuff that would normally be shocking twists in other games are outright spelled out for you early so you have to get used to the idea, let it sink in, and then realize how REALLY screwed you are.

But I love it, I love it to pieces, there's a ton of environmental storytelling and the lore intersects with itself really well.

REmake PS4 port is a very very good game. The REmake was one of the last of the games of its type but good LORD it was really really good.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I'm a fatal frame fan and I found 5 to be very janky and tedious and mediocre. I vote REmake because it's the best game on your list, but it's not very scary.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Until Dawn, brah.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Bogart posted:

Until Dawn, brah.

Misandry Cannon
Mar 7, 2012
So how has Clive Barker's Undying aged? I picked it up for 3 bux on GOG and I've been meaning to play it, I just don't know what to expect as far as weird late 90's/early aughts shooter design decisions are concerned.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Misandry Cannon posted:

So how has Clive Barker's Undying aged? I picked it up for 3 bux on GOG and I've been meaning to play it, I just don't know what to expect as far as weird late 90's/early aughts shooter design decisions are concerned.

The combat kind of anticipates Bioshock in that you shoot with one hand and cast spells with the other and it's pretty decent. It does a lot of weird and neat stuff if you take your time to notice it all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

If you didn't kill them both at the end of the last episode I'm ashamed of you