Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

malhavok posted:

It's been two days, how is that even considered grinding? Hell most of the time I just wander around with no clue what's going on. I've managed to knock out 180 point without any maps, guides, walkthroughs or beta experience. In a day or two all this poo poo is going to be on dulfy and the only obstacle to getting your elite spec in a few hours is going to be finding a group for the champs.

That part is exactly the problem though. The maps are already empty enough (just due to their size without an increased player cap) that it takes real effort to find people to do hero challenges with. What happens in a couple of months? What if I'm a new player who starts in January? GW2 has never been a game that forced you into going out of your way to actively party with people for the general open-world stuff, and yet here we are.

I also don't think it's too absurd to want to do Heart of Thorns as your elite spec, not for your elite spec. Let masteries be the long-term "horizontal" progression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

drat, this Tangled Depths map lives up to its name. I have no idea how to get anywhere here, everything is a mess of tunnels filled with annoying mobs. Good luck trying to get anything done here.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Insert name here posted:

So are there more Pact Tyria mastery points than are needed? Because if not that means if I want to get 100% masteries for Pact Tyria I have to buy the rest of season 2 that I don't have. :nallears:

It takes 49 Tyrian points to max out all 3.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

They really did succeed at making the new areas feel really hostile and dangerous. That would be fun and cool if they also increased the player numbers in them so that I wasn't running around alone almost all the time.

It makes getting XP to unlock masteries a lot less fun, given that the main source of that seems to be events that nobody else is doing. :negative:

Ktzi
Aug 1, 2006

There are plenty of spiders!
Yep!! That's pretty much the whole issue I have. There's no /people/. The areas are /too/ hostile and dangerous with random frog dudes who might just casually turn around and 1-shot you from a half-mile off with their shadowstep arrow jump, or pocket raptors who just swarm out of nowhere and eat you.. And everything being a champion, and what's not a champion just having /incredibly irritating abilities/.

As a filthy casual this is awful. Reaper's fun in pvp at least.

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
you better heed his Quall
I think that, in no small part, an issue is that the megaservers try to keep the amount of players within a certain minimum and maximum, but is unconcerned with idle players. I really really like the big zone-wide meta events that require coordination on several different fronts, but with the number of people who are sitting around idle that can severely hinder efforts.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I'm just coming back after a long time, is the map meta completion bar and rewards new with the expansion or has it been in? Because that is really nice.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
I was so pumped up to be able to make a Norn that looked like a Slayer from warhammer fantasy... but I'm slightly bummed that there doesn't appear to be a way I can go barechested without gimping myself and wearing no armor (apologies to the ascalonian catacombs group I tried this with)

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Razzled posted:

I was so pumped up to be able to make a Norn that looked like a Slayer from warhammer fantasy... but I'm slightly bummed that there doesn't appear to be a way I can go barechested without gimping myself and wearing no armor (apologies to the ascalonian catacombs group I tried this with)

Have you tried the Scallywag chestpiece?

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Alteisen posted:

Druid got me feeling like:

I'd like to counter this post cause I've been having a ton of fun with druid, in pve and pvp (though I've only done a couple pvp matches so far, and some wvw).

Alteisen posted:

Its really underwhelming, the healing is ok but the most use I seem to get out of it is just keeping my pet alive, the main issue is how the healing skills seem to be based around people being really close or even stacking to get use out of and actually hit people, I can move around and try to get people in the beam but the width of the beam just seems to small, the wisp is cool and helps melee classes, the celestial grace is pretty stupid, it heals allies when you reach your target but for your allies to gain any benefit out of it, i would have to be in melee range so you put yourself at risk and any ranged classes don't get the benefit of the heal.

So for PvE I've been using staff and longbow. Longbow for killing regular mobs like I've always done as a ranger. Staff is just for movement in these cases (staff 3 replacing greatsword 3, I like staff 3 better because you can directly target where you want to go and it feels faster). However if you're in a group, fighting a champion or boss or something (which there are a lot of in this expac, as you've probably noticed) I use staff the majority of the time. The healing on the 1 is basically nonexistent, so I just use it for damage. The 2 is nice to drop on the boss on cooldown for extra healing. The actual healing burst on staff is from dropping the 5, which is a water field, on top of whoever needs healing, and then using the 3 to teleport into it, blasting the water and getting double healing aoe. I have maybe 200 healing power cause I picked the Minstrel staff when I unlocked druid, and this burst heals for about 3k, on like a 12 sec cooldown, VERY long range, and once you get used to it you can pull this off very quickly and save lots of people. People still wear nothing but berserker these days so that's a decent chunk of healing.

Alteisen posted:

Celestial form is so incredibly dull I forget its even there half the time, the skills barely seem any stronger than the staff ones and it doesn't work like death shroud either, its your regular health on the line so don't go down or you waste it.

Celestial form can absolutely poo poo out healing, so much that I don't think even through the launch so far and back in BWE3 I never once died while using it. The 4 skill alone will heal most people, and yourself, back up to 75%-100% and if they still need more you drop the 3 on their heads (which has a much bigger radius than the 1 and is much easier to land) for another huge burst of healing. The 3 also destroys boss break bars (I use moment of clarity to double the daze time). The 1 I agree is too small of an area and way too slow to cast, you have to lead your target like crazy or tell them to hold still or you'll never hit them. The 2 is a decent heal, good condi cleanse and a light field also, so projectiles also clear condis. I rarely use the 5 except in pvp, it's damage and cripple/immobilize only.

Alteisen posted:

The biggest issue is how even if you're using your elite spec you can't really mix and match with druid, you HAVE to take the glyphs, the entire sub class is built 100% around the glyphs and they fundamentally alter the class when you go celestial.

I don't use glyphs in PvE, I feel you need the glyph trait to really make them worth it and in the open world I use the movement speed trait instead. I do use them in PvP though, Glyph of Daze and Glyph of Conditions (whatever they're actually called I don't remember), with the trait to give them more condi cleanse. They're honestly not bad, though I'll need more time in PvP to really give a better opinion. I run soldier stats too so I'm tanky enough to be able to heal myself and teammates. Staff in PvP is still really good just for the 3, plus the long distance damage on the 1, the 4 can break yourself out of immobilizes, chills, and cripples, and the 5 lets you just rofl at rangers when they rapid fire you. The 5 wall is also hilarious in wvw when a zerg tries to shoot you through a chokepoint and you're just like, nah. Flowers.

I really think druid is a lot of fun and well made. It's not perfect, of course, but it's not garbage or worthless like I've seen a lot of people saying.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I'm just coming back after a long time, is the map meta completion bar and rewards new with the expansion or has it been in? Because that is really nice.

New

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Mizuti posted:

Have you tried the Scallywag chestpiece?

No but when I get to level 80 I will look into it, thanks.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Razzled posted:

No but when I get to level 80 I will look into it, thanks.

You can unlock and use it now if you wish. But it's understandable if you don't want to burn transmutation charges on temporary level up gear.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Howdy folks, got a Nightwing from a bag, should I sell it now for an easy 10g or save it for when it is more rare?

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Mesadoram posted:

Howdy folks, got a Nightwing from a bag, should I sell it now for an easy 10g or save it for when it is more rare?

It's going to be several months before any substantial price increase, so i guess it depends on how badly you need the 10g right now. Of course you might sell for 10g, watch it never come back again and sell for 10000g in a couple years.

Mosthated
Dec 15, 2012
Scrapper is now complete!!!! gently caress you hero points!

PsychicToaster
Jan 12, 2010
Has anyone unlocked Daredevil that can tell me if it sucks as bad as the Ben Afleck movie or if it's actually good?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

mind the walrus posted:

Can we take a second to acknowledge the irony that gating the hero points behind huge maps and challenges to mitigate binge-gaming is actually getting many people to say "gently caress better do this fast before the crowds disappear and I have to beg people who already completed it to help me"?

Yeah, the fact that this expansion content is generating this feeling is the worst part of it. I keep seeing guild messages about "Let's go do some hero point thing", and I would totally do that, except I need Mushrooms and Updrafts and MacGuffin Level 3 just to hang and do the same content with people. So now I feel double-hosed because I can't join a group to level and it's hard to level without a group. Plus the story is gated beyond all this. And I can't even do the easier-to-solo content in Tyria to level because of the XP split between the areas.

I never felt like I was on an MMO treadmill in GW2, but HOT has so far felt more like a treadmill than any other game I've played in years. It is kind of blowing my mind that SWTOR and this have each taken what seems like a 180 in design philosophy with their new stuff, and I guess it's fortuitously timed that they released their stuff at the same time because I will probably take some time over there.

The good thing, I suppose, is that this feels like it's something that could be tweaked rather easily rather than being some inescapable flaw at the heart of the game design.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

malhavok posted:

It's going to be several months before any substantial price increase, so i guess it depends on how badly you need the 10g right now. Of course you might sell for 10g, watch it never come back again and sell for 10000g in a couple years.

Not in dire need for gold, time for an investment!

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

I think i've died in this jungle more than I have the entire rest of my GW2 life, and I've only played for 2 hours.

Thief staff blows, also.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Just checked my Ranger that has tons of hours and 100% world completion:
Only enough points to get, MAYBE, 1/3 of the Druid unlocked.

gently caress you, Anet.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

PsychicToaster posted:

Has anyone unlocked Daredevil that can tell me if it sucks as bad as the Ben Afleck movie or if it's actually good?

I had 200 points on my thief, can't really pass judgement on the entire spec yet because it's just incomplete without the new dodges but the staff at least feels awesome to use.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Inzombiac posted:

Just checked my Ranger that has tons of hours and 100% world completion:
Only enough points to get, MAYBE, 1/3 of the Druid unlocked.

gently caress you, Anet.

The dumbest thing was that I swore I had like 500 points on my characters before I came back from the expansion. When I came back they all had 200.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Mosthated posted:

Scrapper is now complete!!!! gently caress you hero points!

How is Scrapper, does it smooth out the need for running two or three kits and swapping between them every 5 seconds? I love Engineer but the insane pace of the skill rotation finally wore me down. Hell I'd be happy with a setup that doesn't require me to manually auto attack at least half the time.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

I'd never save you in a million years
hammer/flamethrower scrapper with action camera on is the most fun i've ever had in this game. hammer holds its own really well, so i'd say it feels like you have to swap less.

i'm just dicking around in the new zones though. the real test of its mettle will be spvp.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Thievery posted:

Thief staff blows, also.

I feel like it suffers from not getting the fancy dodges immediately. I think the intent is that you're super squishy but dodge around while attacking but since you can't attack while dodging until you get your grandmaster traits, you basically get the choice between running away and dying :negative:

Revenant however.. I just pieced together a condi set and now things are melting. It's so much fun!
To the rest of you playing mace-revenants, is it just me or is the delay after the last attack of the autoattack chain incredibly long? It feels super weird, you have these three fast attacks and then.... nothing. And after a bit it starts again, then stops... and so on. I'm also noticing that often when I use a bunch of skills and then autoattack, it'll attack once... pause... then start autoattacking properly. Anyone else experiencing this?

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Your Computer posted:

I feel like it suffers from not getting the fancy dodges immediately. I think the intent is that you're super squishy but dodge around while attacking but since you can't attack while dodging until you get your grandmaster traits, you basically get the choice between running away and dying :negative:

Revenant however.. I just pieced together a condi set and now things are melting. It's so much fun!
To the rest of you playing mace-revenants, is it just me or is the delay after the last attack of the autoattack chain incredibly long? It feels super weird, you have these three fast attacks and then.... nothing. And after a bit it starts again, then stops... and so on. I'm also noticing that often when I use a bunch of skills and then autoattack, it'll attack once... pause... then start autoattacking properly. Anyone else experiencing this?

yes

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Your Computer posted:

Technically you can dodge just as much before the grandmaster traits, all they add is some damage and utility.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb
I'm kinda wondering if the people that die all the time are still in full zerker. Because moving away from that ... helps?

Mosthated
Dec 15, 2012

nessin posted:

How is Scrapper, does it smooth out the need for running two or three kits and swapping between them every 5 seconds? I love Engineer but the insane pace of the skill rotation finally wore me down. Hell I'd be happy with a setup that doesn't require me to manually auto attack at least half the time.

I can't give you a confirmed answer yet but to me there seems to be a lot less kit swapping because the Hammer skills are amazing and on low CD. Still a lot of theory crafting to do. Sorry i couldn't be more through.

Edit: Hammer is the funniest I have had in a long time btw.

Edit 2: Here is a good build i been using. The F/T is optional. Its more of tagging in events than anything. The gear and runes are still undecided.

http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?vdAQFASncoClYh1aB+dBsehF2iiu3H+kHcEPxAYMHHjvA-TFCEABRpEDT1f2SJoWKPyZ/h20RgwFAAgHAgAgWA-w

Mosthated fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Oct 25, 2015

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Nektu posted:

I'm kinda wondering if the people that die all the time are still in full zerker. Because moving away from that ... helps?

being in full soldiers has me still feeling squishy as hell, and i'm playing a guardian.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Nektu posted:

I'm switching to marauders once it becomes commonly available, no point in buying another full set of armor i will replace.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Xae posted:

The dumbest thing was that I swore I had like 500 points on my characters before I came back from the expansion. When I came back they all had 200.

Okay!
I checked all of my character and, regardless of what they had before, they all had 200 points or less.
Anet capped everyone :psyduck:

I'm really trying to not sound dramatic but I have a hard time playing a character to 80 and getting all the goodies then having to play them a ton more just to unlock the new spec. I was really hoping that I'd have one new spec to play in the expansion but instead I need to trudge through old zones to pick up points.
They really need to triple the population cap for the new zones. 150 is pitiful.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
It's the same issue as dungeons where you can't really build enough personal sustain power to just stand in all the poo poo that's tuned up assuming you can avoid most attacks, so going full damage + active defenses is your best option (kill things before you run out of defensive resources.)

Getting jumped by like 2-3 of those loving frogs that leap 1500 units away while hitting for 5k or so, or a champion mob that's now immune to all snares, is awful no matter how you're built.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Inzombiac posted:

Okay!
I checked all of my character and, regardless of what they had before, they all had 200 points or less.
Anet capped everyone :psyduck:

I'm really trying to not sound dramatic but I have a hard time playing a character to 80 and getting all the goodies then having to play them a ton more just to unlock the new spec. I was really hoping that I'd have one new spec to play in the expansion but instead I need to trudge through old zones to pick up points.
They really need to triple the population cap for the new zones. 150 is pitiful.

I had 203 on both my world completion characters, which is what you should have if you grabbed everything outside of SW and Dry top.

Magical Zero
Aug 21, 2008

The colour out of space.
Well, overall the new maps are amazing. A common problem though seems to be that the (meta) events require way more coordination than what a bunch of random players randomly placed on various overflow servers can accomplish. Maybe Anet need to spend more time figuring out ways to funnel players into different parts of the active meta event, etc. As it is most people just follow the closest commander tag. Which isn't particularly suprising since the new maps are very overwhelming at first. Maybe you could give out 1 hero point for the first time a player takes part in certain portion of an event? Feels like a bad idea to have the hero point challenges so seperated from the overall story and meta event of a zone.

Also maybe it's just me but it seems like there aren't nearly enough players placed in each map.

treizebee
Dec 30, 2011

Stage 3 oil injection

PsychicToaster posted:

If you liked the old days sword builds with acrobatics before they removed it with the trait patch, you might be content.

But don't hold your breath for staff, it sucks and brings nothing new.

And don't expect cool fancy awesome abilities compared to some other elites, although a leap dodge is pretty dope and will totally make all pistol offhand weapon sets viable, i swear it nice.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Ciaphas posted:

I don't think I ever got a single character above 20 or so, because I gots the alt-itis BAD. Besides the release of the Revenant, has much changed with the launch of the expansion for someone like me? I barely even know what talents are, let alone masteries or hero points or whatever all this other poo poo y'all are on about is.

Reposting 'cause I don't want to drop 50 bones on this if nothing's really changed for me :(

(also I still can't pick a class to play which makes me not want to play at all, I am literally retarded)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Nektu posted:

I'm actually finding that I live longer if I go zerker than otherwise, if only because a lot of the enemy types (especially things like Smokescales) really incentivize you to kill them before they kill you. And in events, it really pays to be able to kill enemies quickly so you don't get overwhelmed by numbers.

Marauder's might be good, though, once that's commonly available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

Reposting 'cause I don't want to drop 50 bones on this if nothing's really changed for me :(

(also I still can't pick a class to play which makes me not want to play at all, I am literally retarded)

If you literally don't have a single character at level 80, then there's nothing in HoT for you. Pretty much all the HoT-exclusive content requires being level 80.

• Locked thread