Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PhancyPants
Nov 15, 2003

Hotdog Suit Up!

L_Harrison posted:

rip R2 class Acura ARX

Edit: I still wish you could add ballast or restrict horsepower on cars to move them down a class or two. It'd make for some more interesting combos I'm sure.

It made for some great starting grids. "Wait... you brought WHAT?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

L_Harrison posted:

rip R2 class Acura ARX

Edit: I still wish you could add ballast or restrict horsepower on cars to move them down a class or two. It'd make for some more interesting combos I'm sure.

Same. Having a restrictor plate option would be great.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund

Ether Frenzy posted:

I ... wish the game did a better job of letting you drive stuff un-upgraded for class/specific reqs for events.

Same. Some cars start near the bottom of a class, and don't have enough upgrades to make it to the top of that class, which makes that car kind of useless, except for any rivals events made for that car, or multiplayer spec races you can arrange.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
Yeah the one good thing Gran Turismo did was weight ballast. And Catch-Up, which was hilarious for pre-spec racing fuckery.

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass
This Radical SR8 RX cup exhibition race is impossible without assists. Gonna smash my controller.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Zinjnok posted:

Literally my 2nd lap in the car/track. Get good son.

Oh don't worry, I intend to get better. Last night was the first night I had the game, after all. Gotta get used to the differences in the handling model and whatnot from 4. Still, pleased with my time given the lack of experience.

PhancyPants
Nov 15, 2003

Hotdog Suit Up!

robotsinmyhead posted:

Yeah the one good thing Gran Turismo did was weight ballast. And Catch-Up, which was hilarious for pre-spec racing fuckery.

Catch-up was great because everyone was 2" away from each other constantly, even on the Ring. And if you were way behind after eating a wall, you'd get used to kart-levels of grip and acceleration and fly past the pack. Then fly into a wall 3 turns later when suddenly your brakes were half as powerful.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty

PhancyPants posted:

Catch-up was great because everyone was 2" away from each other constantly, even on the Ring. And if you were way behind after eating a wall, you'd get used to kart-levels of grip and acceleration and fly past the pack. Then fly into a wall 3 turns later when suddenly your brakes were half as powerful.

I have yet to experience anything that fun in a racing game. A Suzuki SX4 with equivalent 500hp was amazing.

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

BrownieVK posted:

This Radical SR8 RX cup exhibition race is impossible without assists. Gonna smash my controller.

You can tune all the oversteer/lack of traction out of that car. It will run slower because you lose power from using weight transfer via softer springs to attain more grip, but will be more driveable.

This is a car you can't really use a tuning calculator for and the car requires a lot of precise throttle control. Tuning the brake bias and brake force will alleviate some of the wild behaviors the car exhibits under intense braking, again you trade some overall lap time speed to attain driveability. There's also a possibility the stock ARBS are trash like most other small mid engine R class cars and are so stiff the inside front tire is lifting during apex.

Tune your car one part at a time and eventually you'll dial it in to your driving ability.

Sucks to say it, but to drive the faster cars at the speed they were designed, you just gotta be good.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Heavily aero-dependent cars like the Radical also have the weird quirk of being way better at cornering the faster you go, and that can take a lot of getting used to. You can take corners in that thing at speeds you'd think no car could, to the degree that if you slow down for a turn that the car can take at full throttle that's where you'll miss the turn because you are getting less downforce the slower you go. It isn't quite as pronounced in the Radical as it would be in a true LMP car, let alone an F1 machine, but it's something to think about. You gotta be brave in it to succeed.

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass

Endbuster posted:

You can tune all the oversteer/lack of traction out of that car. It will run slower because you lose power from using weight transfer via softer springs to attain more grip, but will be more driveable.

This is a car you can't really use a tuning calculator for and the car requires a lot of precise throttle control. Tuning the brake bias and brake force will alleviate some of the wild behaviors the car exhibits under intense braking, again you trade some overall lap time speed to attain driveability. There's also a possibility the stock ARBS are trash like most other small mid engine R class cars and are so stiff the inside front tire is lifting during apex.

Tune your car one part at a time and eventually you'll dial it in to your driving ability.

Sucks to say it, but to drive the faster cars at the speed they were designed, you just gotta be good.

Good advice here thanks! I think I was having a hard time because it was a spec race and starting from so far back can be really tough, I also gave up on tuning it. I've always played every Forza since #1 with assists off so I feel like I'm better than most people getting around a track quickly. The higher class race cars, open wheel stuff, and anything R class is just giving me all kinds of trouble.

I'm saving up to get a Playseat challenge and that Logitech wheel and pedal set, should be alot harder to smash those in anger.
(No controllers were hurt I finished in 3rd eventually..... With TCS and STM on )

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass

Cubey posted:

Gotta have huge balls to go fast.

This makes alot of sense and it still hurts my brain I'm scared to go super fast in a video game. Good thing you can rewind in Forza.
I can't imagine driving any of these things IRL.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

It is very intimidating to drive high-downforce cars at their limits. I did not get comfortable at all with it until Forza 4 had been out a good while, and I've been playing these kinds of games with those kinds of cars since Gran Turismo 2. Eventually you'll be able to see that yeah you can, and in fact absolutely must, take that turn at 150mp when in any other car you need to slow down to 100, but it's crazy and feels unnatural. Don't feel bad about not 'getting it' because driving those kinds of cars results in your brain constantly yelling at you to slow the gently caress down when you really need to speed the gently caress up.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Cubey posted:

Heavily aero-dependent cars like the Radical also have the weird quirk of being way better at cornering the faster you go, and that can take a lot of getting used to. You can take corners in that thing at speeds you'd think no car could, to the degree that if you slow down for a turn that the car can take at full throttle that's where you'll miss the turn because you are getting less downforce the slower you go. It isn't quite as pronounced in the Radical as it would be in a true LMP car, let alone an F1 machine, but it's something to think about. You gotta be brave in it to succeed.

I remember on Top Gear when Hammond takes the Renault F1 car out and isn't able to drive the car fast enough to even keep heat in the tires. It really takes some getting used to driving much faster than you think you should!

Prettypanda
Nov 11, 2008

Cubey posted:

Oh don't worry, I intend to get better. Last night was the first night I had the game, after all. Gotta get used to the differences in the handling model and whatnot from 4. Still, pleased with my time given the lack of experience.

I'm just messing with you. I'm sure our racing will be this close again soon enough.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qexKTJ-eqAk

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Cubey posted:

It is very intimidating to drive high-downforce cars at their limits.
I'm still too afraid to do it.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I've added everybody from the spreadsheet to my friend list. I hope to see a good number of you tomorrow at 3pm Easter/12pm Pacific. No real plans, maybe we'll do Dizzle's idea for a few lap time races or whatever. More of an interest check than anything to see if we'll have enough people to make this weekly.

Oh also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eu6zzV9eFxA

I'm glad it's still fun to gently caress with the AI. I apologize in advance for my drivatar destroying you on track.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Oct 25, 2015

SmokeyXIII
Apr 19, 2008
Not Stephen Harper in Disguise.

That is simply not true.

Cubey posted:

Y'all best watch your leaderboard times, fuckers

Spent a good chunk of time on this!

Just posted a 1:32.746!

I beat Panda too... Which obviously he won't let stick.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Lobby is going up shortly. If you want to race, jump online.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Cubey posted:

Lobby is going up shortly. If you want to race, jump online.

Sorry. F1 today.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I didn't bring my xbone to the track.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Ah crap I forgot about the F1 race today :v:

It would be the one weekend where F1 is on at a non-awful time for Americans, too. Welp.

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

I added myself to the spreadsheet...

Question though: Is there an easy way to add dudes from some sort of xbox live website? This poo poo of adding from the spread sheet.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Well nobody showed up except Molghandi so I guess there's no real demand for a weekend series. Ah well.

Anyway, I've begun my quest to set good laps on all tracks in all classes, like I did in Forza 4. Starting at E class and going in alphabetical order, done up to Catalunya School now. I am pretty sure that there are overall a good number more tracks here than in 4 so this is gonna take a while, though I'm making progress at a pretty good rate.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty

Endbuster posted:

I added myself to the spreadsheet...

Question though: Is there an easy way to add dudes from some sort of xbox live website? This poo poo of adding from the spread sheet.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live

Login, click on your icon in the upper right, go to friends, add from the comfort of your pc.

Cubey posted:

Well nobody showed up except Molghandi so I guess there's no real demand for a weekend series. Ah well.

I was actually down, but F1 race.

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

robotsinmyhead posted:

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live

Login, click on your icon in the upper right, go to friends, add from the comfort of your pc.

Awww poo poo. Thanks. I was poking around and didn't even look there thinking there was some other button. Thanks.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

robotsinmyhead posted:

I was actually down, but F1 race.

Well that makes at least 3 people who were otherwise engaged because of that race. I'll try again same time next Sunday.

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass
I was learning how to weld on my truck and catching my shoe on fire, pretty sure that's a legit reason not to be on.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I was watching f1 as well.

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

...and the angel did say, "go forth, and lay waste to all who oppose you"
What about after walking dead tonight?

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Cubey posted:

Well that makes at least 3 people who were otherwise engaged because of that race. I'll try again same time next Sunday.

I just need to buy gold and I would try to show up. Had to watch what dumb poo poo show Talladega would give us and delievered.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Well if people want to try tonight for a time, sure. I added everyone from the spreadsheet as a friend so I can just send out a massive invite bomb. I'll be online doing leaderboards until I see some people on who are down to race.

BMB5150 posted:

I just need to buy gold and I would try to show up. Had to watch what dumb poo poo show Talladega would give us and delievered.

You can get Live for like 35-40 bucks online from places like Amazon or cdkeys. Do it :getin:

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Oct 26, 2015

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

The Rally Day Heroes league they put up this week is a lot of fun, mostly because I have been getting a lot of top 5 finishes in it.

This morning I went 3 races with the same 3 guys all of us in top 3 within 2 seconds of each other at the finish.

The best lap time grid ordering makes it easy to avoid the idiots, just gotta put a good lap time the race before and start in front.

Edit - seems the best league strategy is to make sure you have a clean lap on your first race, then you'll pretty much always start on the pole for your 2nd race :D

SLICK GOKU BABY fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Oct 27, 2015

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Let's race!

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
So, I realized that every single car in the game has the sound for a windshield wiper in cockpit view during rain races. Every car. Even the obvious cars that shouldn't have it, like the Lotus E23 or the Indycars. And all those classic open cockpit Can-Am cars or historic F1 cars? The back-and-forth windshield wiper sound is there :lol:.

Spamtheman
May 30, 2005

Effer of the ineffable

Cubey posted:

I was poisonously hung over, sorry I completely forgot. Definitely in this Sunday!

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Spamtheman posted:

I was poisonously hung over, sorry I completely forgot. Definitely in this Sunday!

Yea, I'm sure we will all be just fine the day after Halloween.

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:
Drunk racing is the best, the moans are just 10x louder and angrier

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Yea, I'm sure we will all be just fine the day after Halloween.

Well if all else fails I'll just spend the day demolishing goon rival times I guess :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Can someone give me some tips for tuning differentials? Especially on front and rear wheel drive cars. I leave mine stock and feel like it must be leaving a lot of time on the table.

• Locked thread