Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
I've just discovered the Player Interface from Random Things. Hoooo, boy that thing's fun. Insanely powerful if you have a good imagination. So far, I've set it up to constantly charge my powersuit and anything in my inventory no matter where I am. It means I'm able to set all of the battery capacity in my suit parts to minimum to cut down on weight and allow me to fly/run/jump faster and further. It charges faster than I can use energy, so it's basically free powersuit for life. I also set up a level emitter to ensure that there are always 64 apples in my inventory so hunger will never be an issue again and I won't be able to accidently throw my apples in the ME system without them moving back to my inventory straight away.

If you've never used a Player Interface, give it a go, it's a lot of fun.

Those who have, what cool poo poo have you managed to do with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Bishop Beo posted:

True. The few HQM mods I've tried (galactic science, Agrarian Skies 1) both seemed to lock content behind the quests, so it was always grinding to the next quest in order to progress in any meaningful way. Does Blightfall let you do your own thing outside of the quests?

Mostly - there's 2 limitations that are technically quest related but can be bypassed - you need to go to a specific location on the map (the obsidian tower on the south island) to get a blood altar, or get an uncommon metal from the volcano to make your own, and you need to get botania flowers from various locations around the map to really get it going - many people find both of these without any quest prompting, but there is a quest to make sure you do find them eventually.

I've no idea about AgSkies1 which i've never played, but 2 pretty much has you able to create as far as i know pretty much everything in the game via ex nihilo even if you never touched the quest book.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Oct 23, 2015

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
oh god i went to the nether in baby's first space race and the portal generation set off explosive ores

which set off explosive ores

for like ~15 explosions

E: ROCKO WHAT HAVE I DONE TO ANGER YOU SO

THE EXPLOSIONS WONT STOP

Magres fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Oct 23, 2015

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Magres posted:

oh god i went to the nether in baby's first space race and the portal generation set off explosive ores

which set off explosive ores

for like ~15 explosions

E: ROCKO WHAT HAVE I DONE TO ANGER YOU SO

THE EXPLOSIONS WONT STOP

It was a side effect of increasing the nether ore generation so severely. I am not entirely sure what initially causes it. I guess something causes an ore block to break, and then the fuses go off.

Okay okay okay. I could have turned down the explosion rate in the nether ores config, but the whole thing made me giggle like an idiot so I was like, "Ship it!"

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
it's actually funny as poo poo now that it's not actively killing me :v:

(okay it was funny as poo poo even when it was killing me!)

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Bishop Beo posted:

Are there any recommended mod packs centered around Thaumcraft? Preferably without HQM. I keep playing HQM packs that expect you to have a bunch of knowledge of the mod packs and requires leaps of research to progress.

I play on coolax blightfall server, the HQM works but its not needed. The world is not the custom map, its just a normal genned world with some taint.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

It was a side effect of increasing the nether ore generation so severely. I am not entirely sure what initially causes it. I guess something causes an ore block to break, and then the fuses go off.

Okay okay okay. I could have turned down the explosion rate in the nether ores config, but the whole thing made me giggle like an idiot so I was like, "Ship it!"

Explosive ores go off when an ore breaks next to another ore, the way to mine them is to take a sticky piston with you. Pull each block out of line with the rest of the vein before breaking.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
you can also use a silk touch pick, I just can't find any damned emeralds :(

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

TheresaJayne posted:

Explosive ores go off when an ore breaks next to another ore, the way to mine them is to take a sticky piston with you. Pull each block out of line with the rest of the vein before breaking.

The proper way to mine nether ores in BFSR is to veinmine them and then laugh hysterically while a chain explosion knocks out poo poo up to the edge of your loadable chunk boundary.

What I could never figure out is how upon first entering the nether, it all just starts blowing up. You just go on and pssssssssssssss BLAM! psspsppsppsssssspssssssssssssssss BLAMBLABLABLAM! etc.

At one point I did throttle the knob down, but I turned it up just a tad so it would still cause some chaos without eventually crashing. I had just kept it that way mostly to troll the experienced Minecraft players that were in the corporate team-building event I had done with the pack. Nobody took the bait to go to The Nether.

What was really funny though was watching managers literally dig themselves into holes they could not pull themselves out of.

In the long term, I'm kind of torn about what to do about it. I want players to toy around in The Nether a little, and I do tell them it's a tad dangerous, but I don't want to scare the poo poo out of them either. Mostly, they can just hit it up and walk out with enough nether ores from one run to complete the rest of the pack without mining again.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Magres posted:

you can also use a silk touch pick, I just can't find any damned emeralds :(

I'm honestly shocked somebody can't find a specific material in that pack. Maybe the emerald rate really is poo poo. I will just todo that one. Silk touching stuff should get into the quest book anyways.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

The proper way to mine nether ores in BFSR is to veinmine them and then laugh hysterically while a chain explosion knocks out poo poo up to the edge of your loadable chunk boundary.

What I could never figure out is how upon first entering the nether, it all just starts blowing up. You just go on and pssssssssssssss BLAM! psspsppsppsssssspssssssssssssssss BLAMBLABLABLAM! etc.

At one point I did throttle the knob down, but I turned it up just a tad so it would still cause some chaos without eventually crashing. I had just kept it that way mostly to troll the experienced Minecraft players that were in the corporate team-building event I had done with the pack. Nobody took the bait to go to The Nether.

What was really funny though was watching managers literally dig themselves into holes they could not pull themselves out of.

In the long term, I'm kind of torn about what to do about it. I want players to toy around in The Nether a little, and I do tell them it's a tad dangerous, but I don't want to scare the poo poo out of them either. Mostly, they can just hit it up and walk out with enough nether ores from one run to complete the rest of the pack without mining again.

That would be vanilla nether then with explosive ores turned off, I hate going in the nether because of the chance of being fireballed off a ledge into lava by a ghast.

Of course with EnderIO and Enderquarry you can mine huge tracts of nether into dirt taking it all....

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I'm honestly shocked somebody can't find a specific material in that pack. Maybe the emerald rate really is poo poo. I will just todo that one. Silk touching stuff should get into the quest book anyways.

Yeah I was really astonished cause I went down to Y=6 and started hammering around and the game is vomiting materials at me (it's great), just no luck w/ emeralds

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Magres posted:

Yeah I was really astonished cause I went down to Y=6 and started hammering around and the game is vomiting materials at me (it's great), just no luck w/ emeralds
I have to verify in the oregen files, but I suspect emeralds come last. The chunk at that point is already loaded with ores so when the generator interrogates a location to make one, it finds something is already there, so it skips it. I think it goes in listed order so I can move it up. Or I can let it override other ores. I will probably jack it up one way or another.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
I just make it a point not to go into the nether untill I've got some ranged and flying option. Even if that means I'll have to make a mekanism jetpack if Simply Jetpacks isn't in the pack (Mekanism always seems to be, though) and take a bow and a fat load of pillaged arrows with me (hoping that Natura is in the pack for the spiders).

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
If TiCon is in you really should be taking a crossbow with a stack of bolts w/ moss slapped on them. Even the most barebones lovely wooden crossbow with like wood/iron bolts with feather fletchings is way better than a vanilla bow, partly because the ammo refills itself over time

E: vvv oooh yeah I'll just go trade for emeralds

Magres fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Oct 23, 2015

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I do like that in TC, steel is made from nether ore. In TE, it's made from iron and coal. Building diamond-level tools out of ores you can mine with a wooden pickaxe :getin:

Trade with some villagers for an emerald, use TE's liquid transposer to make mossy cobblestone, and hey presto, a silk touch, regenerating hammer.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I think nether ore explodes when you first visit the nether because the portal generated gets embedded into the ground, and that disturbs nether ore.

In other news I was still playing Solitary Asylum. Then I hopped over some walls to see what later challenges were like, and discovered that one door requires a stack of several high-end bee products. In a modpack without any aids to breeding bees, as far as I can tell. So I might wind up just cheating the items in for that. It depends on just if there's something I'm missing that lets me breed bees easier. I noticed the final door requires 24 gregtech fusion coils, but there are some trading blocks set up nearby that seem to be tailor-made for getting past most of gregtech's annoying materials, so it probably won't be so bad.
Right now I'm just annoyed that the map only gives you one of each of the magical crops seeds when new ones unlock, and expects you to use them immediately to produce a buttload of ore or whatever. It takes foooreeeever to build up a significant number of seeds when you start with just one. I might cheat some in just to save time. At least after I get the redstone and copper seeds going, I can start getting into some real tech.

I think I actually really like material-limited challenge maps like this. Skyblocks with Ex Nihilo, by comparison, open up basically everything once you have a way to produce gravel. Anyone know of any uh... "complete the gates" type modpacks that are good, instead of bad?

greententacle
Apr 28, 2007

Mr Bubbles
I'm playing Modderation: Permabanned. I just made a Extra Utilities watering can and went to some water to fill it, right-clicked it and...nothing happened. I can't seem to get the watering can to fill up.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013

greententacle posted:

I'm playing Modderation: Permabanned. I just made a Extra Utilities watering can and went to some water to fill it, right-clicked it and...nothing happened. I can't seem to get the watering can to fill up.

I think the can just changes from Watering Can (empty) as it's name to just Watering Can. There's no inventory to it, the water is just a crafting step. The particles might also be weird depending on your pack so test it out on some plants and see if they visibly grow faster in a 10 second period of time.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Mr Scumbag posted:

I've just discovered the Player Interface from Random Things. Hoooo, boy that thing's fun. Insanely powerful if you have a good imagination. So far, I've set it up to constantly charge my powersuit and anything in my inventory no matter where I am. It means I'm able to set all of the battery capacity in my suit parts to minimum to cut down on weight and allow me to fly/run/jump faster and further. It charges faster than I can use energy, so it's basically free powersuit for life. I also set up a level emitter to ensure that there are always 64 apples in my inventory so hunger will never be an issue again and I won't be able to accidently throw my apples in the ME system without them moving back to my inventory straight away.

If you've never used a Player Interface, give it a go, it's a lot of fun.

Those who have, what cool poo poo have you managed to do with it?

You might want to check out Etho's modded minecraft LP. He plays with connecting up AE, computercraft and the pneumaticraft aerial interface (which I think is basically the same) to do various clever things. I can't remember how far he got before he broke his modpack though.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
With help, I made a rather fancy base a few versions back. Didn't get as many screenshot's as I'd have liked. :smith:

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Thyrork posted:

With help, I made a rather fancy base a few versions back. Didn't get as many screenshot's as I'd have liked. :smith:

That's pretty fuckin' fancy.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Thyrork posted:

What mod is making all that cool stuff and the lasers in the first two pics?

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

What mod is making all that cool stuff and the lasers in the first two pics?

Yeah, are those entirely cosmetic or are they doing something? It looks amazing regardless, very magitech. Is that a thaumic horizons black hole node or did you just have the same idea? (Thaumic Horizons has you surround a node in a similar fashion to keep a node you ripped open into a turbo hungry node stable and not eating your entire base)

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

I'm currently building a passively cooled Big Reactor. I'm looking to have it push out as much RF/t as is possible with no regard to fuel efficiency whatsoever. I have magical crops pumping out more yellorium than I'll ever use. My question is, what coolant would be best for maximum power output while ignoring fuel burnup rate?

if it helps, I'm using the x configuration for the control rods as follows:

code:

OXOXOXOXOXOXOXOO
OOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO
OXOXOXOXOXOXOXOO
OXOXOXOXOXOXOXOO

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Mr Scumbag posted:

I'm currently building a passively cooled Big Reactor. I'm looking to have it push out as much RF/t as is possible with no regard to fuel efficiency whatsoever. I have magical crops pumping out more yellorium than I'll ever use. My question is, what coolant would be best for maximum power output while ignoring fuel burnup rate?

if it helps, I'm using the x configuration for the control rods as follows:

code:
OXOXOXOXOXOXOXOO
OOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO
OXOXOXOXOXOXOXOO
OXOXOXOXOXOXOXOO

If you are just going for power-power-power, either pyrotheum or just solid fuel rods would probably be best. But I really don't know much about min-maxing reactors :(

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

http://br.sidoh.org/

Have fun.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Wolpertinger posted:

Yeah, are those entirely cosmetic or are they doing something? It looks amazing regardless, very magitech. Is that a thaumic horizons black hole node or did you just have the same idea? (Thaumic Horizons has you surround a node in a similar fashion to keep a node you ripped open into a turbo hungry node stable and not eating your entire base)

If I remember correctly they had an effect, in that they were basically stabilizers for thaumcraft poo poo. Not sure what mod. just remember walking around that cool base when that server was up.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Its Thaumic Horizons, the first picture shows off the CV node booster (put on 4 for Fun! :unsmigghh:) the stablizers work to help contain hungry and The evil super node you get from putting 4 boosters on a normal node and make them useful.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Thyrork posted:

Its Thaumic Horizons, the first picture shows off the CV node booster (put on 4 for Fun! :unsmigghh:) the stablizers work to help contain hungry and The evil super node you get from putting 4 boosters on a normal node and make them useful.

Oh, nice - I've never gotten far enough with Thaumic Horizons to mess with those yet.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Is there any way to pump water from tanks and into the world? Say I have a tank of water, and I've dug out a nice lake somewhere and don't want to have to fill it with buckets, is there a way to let the water flow into the space from a tank?

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Mr Scumbag posted:

Is there any way to pump water from tanks and into the world? Say I have a tank of water, and I've dug out a nice lake somewhere and don't want to have to fill it with buckets, is there a way to let the water flow into the space from a tank?
Depends on what mods you have but Buildcraft's Flood Gate and Mekanism's Fluidic Plenisher are two options

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

MFR's fountain and TE's autonomous activators can also place liquids in the world but not in an area like you describe.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

The thaumcraft bath (or whatever it's called - the thing in the taint cleansing section) claims to be able to do this, but I haven't tested it.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Wolfsbane posted:

The thaumcraft bath (or whatever it's called - the thing in the taint cleansing section) claims to be able to do this, but I haven't tested it.

It does, but with a time limited buff that can only be activated if you research and build the bath and the active ingredient that keeps the bath running. There is a third consumable you can make to scrub away more stubborn effects in advance of their in game timer running out, but it is not cost efficient to make. Honestly, that whole flux mechanic is so stupid that it is better to just go in and disable the mechanic entirely.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

EricFate posted:

It does, but with a time limited buff that can only be activated if you research and build the bath and the active ingredient that keeps the bath running. There is a third consumable you can make to scrub away more stubborn effects in advance of their in game timer running out, but it is not cost efficient to make. Honestly, that whole flux mechanic is so stupid that it is better to just go in and disable the mechanic entirely.
I think he's trying to place liquids in the world, not remove warp.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Yeah, that's what I meant. The thaumanomicon claims it can be used to fill areas with other fluids, but I never built one so I have no idea if it works.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
It can. I think one arcane spa will fill a 5x5x1 area. I've used them to keep (floating, so they didn't get unplanted by the lava) thermalilies fed.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Fortis posted:

It can. I think one arcane spa will fill a 5x5x1 area. I've used them to keep (floating, so they didn't get unplanted by the lava) thermalilies fed.

the hottest hot springs :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clairetic
Nov 3, 2008

I don't even know my own credit card information.
IME the bath will only fill one square above it. I don't know if I was doing it wrong or what.