Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

So keep doing that stuff, because as a to-be-UK-to-US transplant I still dig seeing odd looking Subway franchises in small town America.

:thumbsup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis

I really like this one a lot.

johnli
Jul 16, 2004
Been playing around with some stuff at night recently.

Flightpaths over London, made from about 370 2s exposures...

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Pershore

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

xzzy posted:

And know where it is before you're out at night.

Because it's rather difficult when everything in the viewfinder is completely black.

(a live view mode might save you but depending how complete the darkness is that might not be enough either)

Can you use a laser pointer (preferably a powerful green one) to get a reference point to manually focus?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Three-Phase posted:

Can you use a laser pointer (preferably a powerful green one) to get a reference point to manually focus?

I've done that for several years with great results.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Be careful if you do that in Australia (at least Queensland), you are only legally allowed to have fairly weak ones, and even if you have a legal one, you will still get hassled because of fuckwits pointing them at planes.

MadlabsRobot
May 1, 2005

I see what you did there....
Grimey Drawer
Shot this from a hotel balcony when I was on a short stay in Vancouver recently. Pentax 67 with 55mm f=4 and Ektar 100 for 30s at f=8, if I remember correctly.

Scan-151009-0004 copy-1 by MadlabsRobot, on Flickr

I didn't really notice the moon when I set it up but in the photo it looks like the loving sun.... Did not expect it to come out so strong. First ever for night time long exposure photography for me though, so I think it came out quite ok.

VVV Fuuck, didn't even see that for some reason...

MadlabsRobot fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Oct 28, 2015

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I like it, but you might want to stamp out that long horizontal blemish in the middle of the sky. I'm assuming that's just a scratch right?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

MadlabsRobot posted:

I didn't really notice the moon when I set it up but in the photo it looks like the loving sun.... Did not expect it to come out so strong. First ever for night time long exposure photography for me though, so I think it came out quite ok.

Guess what the moon is lit by.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Also to get some sense of how loving bright the sun is, consider this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planetshine#Earthshine

Just think about that.. the sun puts out enough energy for light to bounce off the earth, hit the moon, and bounce off the moon with enough energy that you can still see a new moon with the naked eye.

MadlabsRobot
May 1, 2005

I see what you did there....
Grimey Drawer
Well I knew the moon would come out bright, just not that bright. Live and learn I guess.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

johnli posted:

Been playing around with some stuff at night recently.

Flightpaths over London, made from about 370 2s exposures...

I like the gigantic dog in the middle.

Plane lights! The red and green lights are navigation lights. The red one is on the left wing and the green one is on the right wing. If two planes approach each other, these lights help them know who has the right of way.

(I know it's not a great photo, but I thought it was cool.)

murk
Oct 31, 2003
Never argue with stupid people, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
These are long exposures of my quadcopter flying around my yard. The haze is from bringing my camera directly from air conditioned house to the very humid outdoors. I didn't even notice it until I got back inside, but it ended up looking kind of cool.

DSCN3654 by a a, on Flickr

DSCN3664 by a a, on Flickr

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

toggle fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Nov 8, 2015

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

"You better not buy me that goddamn tourist av"

Night in Philly by Peter Crain, on Flickr

Untitled by Peter Crain, on Flickr

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Light pollution :smith:

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Vacuums by Glenn Nielson, on Flickr

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Sweet.

The highlights getting blown is killing me on these long exposures. Any tips? ETT...L? But I'll lose what little shadow detail there is. I suppose multiple exposure is an option.

capitol ridge by S M, on Flickr

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

This is rad. How do you get wonderful colors like that? Do you do much post-processing, or is this just a really dark place? I always end up with a yellowish tint to mine (Admittedly, my location has some light pollution):

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Sweet.

The highlights getting blown is killing me on these long exposures. Any tips? ETT...L? But I'll lose what little shadow detail there is. I suppose multiple exposure is an option.

Your options are portra 400, underexpose to protect highlights, or HDR.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Bracketing as well

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Dren posted:

Your options are portra 400

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

"You better not buy me that goddamn tourist av"

Is this Northwest Philly?

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

DorianGravy posted:

This is rad. How do you get wonderful colors like that? Do you do much post-processing, or is this just a really dark place? I always end up with a yellowish tint to mine (Admittedly, my location has some light pollution):

Thanks!

Well it was a bit of dark place + pumping the blues and purples in processing. I was facing away from any light pollution too (which was the key). Plus it was on top of a mountain, on a dark night, in the middle of no where!

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Portra 400 is the best but the HDR in Lightroom is actually pretty good.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

How about lightning photos?

New Brunswick, NJ.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

DorianGravy posted:

How about lightning photos?

New Brunswick, NJ.

Me experimenting with delayed long exposure self portraits while playing Thor

Lightning by Me!, on Flickr
effort pic

This is a single exposure, only slider edits in Lightroom. The storm tonight was incredible. Before I got my camera out there was a single bolt that branched out from the horizon, all the way behind me.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
How do you go about timing your shots for lightning, anyway? Do you just keep spraying and praying or do you just have to have a really fast trigger finger?

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

LogisticEarth posted:

How do you go about timing your shots for lightning, anyway? Do you just keep spraying and praying or do you just have to have a really fast trigger finger?

This is the first time I've done it but with this storm in particular, those lightning bursts were huge, and lasted for quite a long time/distance hopping clouds. I had plenty of warning because there would be flashing off to my left and then a few seconds later there'd be a burst like the one in the photo. I started with f3.5ish and 5 seconds and by the end was doing f/5.6 and 13 seconds. (both at iso 100, roughly the same exposure, ~-2 on my cameras meter) Basically, I'd see a small flash and hit the button and hoped the cell right above my head triggered too.

This is what the raw of the picture I posted looks like. This was 1 "strike", but when it happened it was more like this gif of the same storm I found on my cities reddit

http://i.imgur.com/yLfrQVl.gifv
In the gif, you can see the flashing where its striking in/above the clouds, I pressed my shutter whenever I saw it

This is what it looked like when the sky tricked me and nothing happened, same settings. The brief flash of the lightning is all you need.

E: I just remembered, it's the exact same principal as light painting. It's definitely a bit of spray and pray and hope you get lucky though.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Nov 23, 2015

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Lightning basically requires long exposure.. 5-10 seconds and hope lightning strikes in that window somewhere. It's effectively impossible to wait for lightning to hit and press the trigger before it's gone.

It's a lot of fun because you get a little thrill every time a bolt goes off when you have the shutter open. Maybe THIS is the one that looks awesome! :haw:

Bulb mode works too by leaving the shutter open until lightning hits but the value of this depends how much city glow you're dealing with.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Lightning shots are pretty simple long exposures where you point where the lightning is happening, and then take repeated long exposures, and then discard the boring ones.

These were taken last night from Stafford, QLD, Aus. My front deck.

Canon 600D, EF17-40L @ ISO100, 17mm f4, 10" continuous
Canon 550D, EF-S18-55 @ ISO100 21mm f4, 10" continuous.

And a special, last saturday, the ISS passed in front of the moon, right over my friends house.
Its that white blob.

Canon 550D, Rokinon 500mm Mirror MF, @ ISO 100, f8, 1/160" 2" delay
I forgot to set my camera to Continuous after getting all set up and the ISS approached the moonface i hit the remote shutter and it counted down 2 seconds. my heart stopped and my gore rose, oh no. I've hosed it.
Nope. exactly one frame. right on.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Kommando posted:

And a special, last saturday, the ISS passed in front of the moon, right over my friends house.
Its that white blob.

I forgot to set my camera to Continuous after getting all set up and the ISS approached the moonface i hit the remote shutter and it counted down 2 seconds. my heart stopped and my gore rose, oh no. I've hosed it.

That's awesome!

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Looking to Buy a McLaren, Anyone Selling One .... Cheap?

Fire Twirlling on the National Mall by Ankur Patel, on Flickr

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Some lightning is just one or two bolts for the entire 2-hour storm. Sometimes you get these gnarly super cells that roll through with a ton of turbulence and every 15-20 seconds all the static energy in the system gets released in those big long rolling crackles across a couple miles of sky at a time.

Kind of like this, but in fast forward (disclaimer: don't do what this guy suggests, you will die)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuG1oNRQnyI

Storms with 1-2 bolts over 2 hours, you'll never catch it, but when you get the right storm, it's easy to capture a few. Traveling SW along I-35 from Dallas to San Antonio we were skirting a massive, turbulent squall line for almost 5 hours, I was able to capture probably 20-30 good lightning photos using just my cell phone, doing what Saucy Bratwurst suggested.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Kommando posted:

Lightning shots are pretty simple long exposures where you point where the lightning is happening, and then take repeated long exposures, and then discard the boring ones.

These were taken last night from Stafford, QLD, Aus. My front deck.

Canon 600D, EF17-40L @ ISO100, 17mm f4, 10" continuous
Canon 550D, EF-S18-55 @ ISO100 21mm f4, 10" continuous.

I was hoping I'd find pics that weren't from directly underneath the storm last night. I'm like 90% sure i have a pic of the same bolt in the first photo. I'm near Browns Plains.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Nov 24, 2015

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

Kommando posted:

Its that white blob.

This is really great!

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug