Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

If Trump sticks to his current line of "7th Day Adventist? I don't even know what that means" he'll be fine. It's just a simple statement meant to otherize Carson. If he starts digging around in church doctrine he'll be risking a lot more.

In one of his recent speeches Trump was going off about how he always says 'Merry Christmas' and never 'Happy Holidays'. Now he's pretending not to know anything about 7th Day Adventist beliefs while repeatedly bringing up the subject. He's essentially setting things up for someone else to come to the realization that Carson doesn't celebrate Christmas in a way that would be familiar to an old white woman from IA and start raising a public fuss about that issue while Donald never has to provide a direct soundbyte of him attacking Carson's religion.

It's kinda brilliant if it's intentional on his part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

PDP-1 posted:

It's kinda brilliant if it's intentional on his part.

This statement adequately describes the Trump campaign thus far, really

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
http://www.mediaite.com/tv/im-a-little-confused-chris-wallace-grills-carson-on-medicare-alternative/

Ben Carson is absolutely incoherent. Watch Fox News' Chris Wallace absolutely baffled by Carson's Medicare plan.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

As long as you're wearing a belt you'll be fine.

His desire to become more efficient at stabbing people is what originally drove Ben 'The Ripper' Carson to study medicine.

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

Full Battle Rattle posted:

This statement adequately describes the Trump campaign thus far, really

It's really weird how many complete coincidences like this just keep happening with the Trump campaign. I guess he's just lucky.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Patter Song posted:

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/im-a-little-confused-chris-wallace-grills-carson-on-medicare-alternative/

Ben Carson is absolutely incoherent. Watch Fox News' Chris Wallace absolutely baffled by Carson's Medicare plan.

He was actually putting me to sleep...

I don't get Ben Carson's popularity like the Bush family don't get Trump's popularity.

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!
I hope an interviewer asks Carson about the Great Disappointment.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I was thinking Carson would win Iowa, but there's no way he makes it that far if he keeps speaking.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Montasque posted:

Trump just retweeted this:

why ben? why not?

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
I wonder how long it'll be before David Koresh comes up?

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Dolash posted:

Personally I think one of Cruz's problems is he's practically too much of an opportunist. He's very savvy at picking the right moves to make to align himself with the Tea Party, Evangelicals, and pretty much anyone with a bone to pick with the establishment but there's just something inauthentic about someone who makes all the right moves. It gives the game away that he's manufactured.

I'm reminded of an interview immortalized in Songify the News where Ted was asked about his music tastes and he said he used to listen to classic rock until 9/11, when rock shifted toward protest, and tuned into country for being more patriotic. The fact that his answer to "What do you listen to?" had to be some perfectly workshopped snippet that includes 9/11 is just eye-rollingly fake.

His strategy of staying in Trump's wake and planning to swoop in on his anti-establishment support once Trump drops is sound but so transparently slimy that even the brain-dead bigots who support Trump will probably see through it.

Did he seriously say rock 'shifted toward protest after 9/11'? Like, the Vietnam War never happened?

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

I just want to remind everyone of something really important: Jeb Bush is currently being destroyed by a reality TV star and a neurosurgeon.

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!

Moktaro posted:

Did he seriously say rock 'shifted toward protest after 9/11'? Like, the Vietnam War never happened?

Sounds like he'd have been one of the people mad as gently caress about the Dixie Chicks.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Patter Song posted:

I'll let the esteemed Doctor Ben Carson clarify:

Ben Carson on Health Care in 2013 posted:

“What can we do? Here’s my solution; when a person is born, give them a birth certificate, an electronic medical record, and a health savings account.” Carson said. “Too which, money can be contributed pre-tax to the time you’re born to the time you die. When you die, you can pass it on to your family members so that when you’re 85 years old and you have six diseases, you’re not trying to spend up everything. You’re happy to send it on and there’s nobody talking about death panels.”

What if babies simply had bank accounts? And further, imagine if they were flush with cash? Doesn't that fix healthcare?

It's Ron Paul's "let them die" healthcare plan, but pitched in the most optimistic way possible.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
Ben Carson wants Roe v Wade overturned lol

not ready for prime time

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Moktaro posted:

His answer doesn't make sense on any level, which is why I'm inclined to agree with the interpretation that he just wanted to mention 9/11.

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

Do It Once Right posted:

I'll let the esteemed Doctor Ben Carson clarify:

What if babies simply had bank accounts? And further, imagine if they were flush with cash? Doesn't that fix healthcare?

It's Ron Paul's "let them die" healthcare plan, but pitched in the most optimistic way possible.

Here's my plan for healthcare. Just give it 85 years for it to work.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Guys, I found Marco Rubio:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXVlFMvy2IY

Let me see, wants to fire Federal workers who don't do their job yet keeps missing votes on the Senate Floor... No wonder this guy has been MIA the past month.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Montasque posted:

Guys, I found Marco Rubio:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXVlFMvy2IY

Let me see, wants to fire Federal workers who don't do their job yet keeps missing votes on the Senate Floor... No wonder this guy has been MIA the past month.

His tone and his body language are super defensive right off the bat. This is not a terribly difficult line of questioning, and with a little charm he could have defused it entirely. He's gonna wilt under the spotlight if he gets the nomination.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
We're right around the fourth anniversary of the greatest campaign ad of all time.

https://youtu.be/lwawPMSJins

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Buzzfeed: Carson In 1999: White People “Have No Grasp” On History Of Racial Violence In U.S

Also it is either a great time to buy on Jeb, or a horrible time to buy on Jeb:
http://www.oddschecker.com/politics/us-politics/us-presidential-election-2016/winner

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Smoothrich posted:

Putin prob is buying off our press like old times to racially agitate and keep America divided and weak as he unites our enemies with the frightening Slavic cunning he clearly has, but so do I.

Yeah, prob

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Patter Song posted:

I knew he wasn't a very good speaker but god drat.

I feel like he's spending a huge amount of effort trying to choose words, tones, and a pace that suggest a calm person without an anger issue. He's convinced himself that his temper is the worst thing and it must always be suppressed, and he's so focused on it that he can barely stay in the conversation.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

I knew he wasn't a very good speaker but god drat.

I feel like he's spending a huge amount of effort trying to choose words, tones, and a pace that suggest a calm person without an anger issue. He's convinced himself that his temper is the worst thing and it must always be suppressed, and he's so focused on it that he can barely stay in the conversation.

He might also know that his plan is dumb and unrealistic. The corporate masters are telling them to go after medicare, because it and social security are among the few piggy banks they can't break, and they need profit from somewhere.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Ben Carson removes his weighted training clothes to combat Trump, grabs a hammer

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Rocks posted:

Here's my plan for healthcare. Don't get sick

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Zelder posted:

Ben Carson removes his weighted training clothes to combat Trump, grabs a hammer

*proceeds to bash self in head*

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005

Patter Song posted:

Even if Ben Carson somehow wins the GOP nomination, he WILL NOT survive first contact with Clinton. Not only that, but Trump is going to twitter-blitz him into a fine paste.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Mr. Pumroy posted:

i dont know anything about 7th day adventists other than what some old guy told me once, which is that they had their origins in some kind of doomsday preacher who thoght the world was going to end in his lifetime? thats like starting a religion after harold campings prediction went bust. but that was like in the 19th century and really all christianity is a doomsday cult when you get right down to it so idk if this will work out, but if anyone can be a shouty pink faced blowhard its trump

Abner Cadaver II posted:

I hope an interviewer asks Carson about the Great Disappointment.

I present to the thread the history of the Seventh-Day Adventists:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millerism
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Disappointment

quote:

The Seventh-day Adventist Church is the largest of several Adventist groups which arose from the Millerite movement of the 1840s in upstate New York, a phase of the Second Great Awakening. William Miller predicted on the basis of Daniel 8:14–16 and the "day-year principle" that Jesus Christ would return to Earth between the spring of 1843 and the spring of 1844. In the summer of 1844, Millerites came to believe that Jesus would return on October 22, 1844, understood to be the biblical Day of Atonement for that year. When this did not happen (an event known as the "Great Disappointment"), most of his followers disbanded and returned to their original churches.

Some Millerites came to believe that Miller's calculations were correct but that his interpretation of Daniel 8:14 was flawed as he assumed it was the "earth that was to be cleansed" or Christ would come to cleanse the world. These Adventists arrived at the conviction that Daniel 8:14 foretold Christ's entrance into the Most Holy Place of the heavenly sanctuary rather than his Second Coming. This new awareness of a sanctuary in heaven became an important part of their thinking. Over the next few decades this understanding developed into the doctrine of the investigative judgment, an eschatological process commenced in 1844 in which Christians will be judged to verify their eligibility for salvation and God's justice will be confirmed before the universe. This group of Adventists continued to believe that Christ's Second Coming would be imminent. They resisted setting further dates for the event, citing Revelation 10:6, "that there should be time no longer."
Seventh-day Adventists are quite literally what happens when an apocalypse fails, and the people who believed that it really would happen decide to double down instead.

This is part one of what Trump is getting at when he's talking about Carson's faith.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Oct 25, 2015

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

Full Battle Rattle posted:

He might also know that his plan is dumb and unrealistic. The corporate masters are telling them to go after medicare, because it and social security are among the few piggy banks they can't break, and they need profit from somewhere.

He was a doctor, he probably hates Medicare all on his own, because doctors get way less money from Medicare patients than non-Medicare patients.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

More rumors Jeb! is going to drop out on Monday. Hard to connote excitement with these stories floating around.

http://prntly.com/blog/2015/10/25/developing-amidst-insults-to-gop-voters-jeb-to-drop-out-monday/

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

More rumors Jeb! is going to drop out on Monday. Hard to connote excitement with these stories floating around.

http://prntly.com/blog/2015/10/25/developing-amidst-insults-to-gop-voters-jeb-to-drop-out-monday/

You're the second person to post this random source peddling the Jeb rumor. Have Trumpian agents infiltrated our beloved Something Awful?

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

This is the same dumb website and article that was posted before. No way Jeb drops before the debate.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Trump is out front about his racism. Jeb! is sneaky about it, saying he admires Charles Murray's writing about poverty to stay under the radar.

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

DOGOLD, I WANT YOU TO CALL AN AM-BOO-LANCE AND WHEN THEY GET HUR I WANT YOU TO TELL THEM TO
KEEP SMILING!

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Ben Carson on Health Care in 2013 posted:

“What can we do? Here’s my solution; when a person is born, give them a birth certificate, an electronic medical record, and a health savings account.” Carson said. “Too which, money can be contributed pre-tax to the time you’re born to the time you die. When you die, you can pass it on to your family members so that when you’re 85 years old and you have six diseases, you’re not trying to spend up everything. You’re happy to send it on and there’s nobody talking about death panels.”

This is the absolute dumbest health care proposal I've ever heard. Also, Ben Carson is for real literally autistic.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
And here's part 2 of what Trump is hinting at. Seventh-Day Adventists do indeed have quite a few non-standard Christian beliefs; specifically they take quite a bit from Jewish tradition:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seventh-day_Adventist_Church#Culture_and_practices

quote:

"Seventh-day Sabbatarians" are Christians who seek to reestablish the practice of some early Christians who kept the sabbath according to normal Jewish practice. They usually believe that all humanity is obliged to keep the Ten Commandments, including the sabbath, and that keeping all the commandments is a moral responsibility that honors, and shows love towards God as creator, sustainer, and redeemer. Christian seventh-day Sabbatarians, arising from Adventist groups in the Millerite tradition, hold beliefs similar to that tradition that the change of the sabbath was part of a Great Apostasy in the Christian faith. Some of these, most notably the Seventh-day Adventist Church, have traditionally held that the apostate church formed when the Bishop of Rome began to dominate the west and brought heathen corruption and allowed pagan idol worship and beliefs to come in, and formed the Roman Catholic Church, which teaches other traditions over Scripture, and to rest from their work on Sunday, instead of Sabbath as written in Scripture.

quote:

Since the 1860s when the church began, wholeness and health have been an emphasis of the Adventist church. Adventists are known for presenting a "health message" that recommends vegetarianism and expects adherence to the kosher laws in Leviticus 11. Obedience to these laws means abstinence from pork, shellfish, and other animals proscribed as "unclean". The church discourages its members from consuming alcoholic beverages, tobacco or illegal drugs (compare Christianity and alcohol). In addition, some Adventists avoid coffee, tea, cola, and other beverages containing caffeine.
They keep the Sabbath and have Church on Saturday rather than Sunday, no work from sun-up to sun-down, and follow Kosher/Kashrut, which means no pork, no shellfish, no mixtures of meat and milk, and animals and birds have to be slaughtered according to a process known as shechita.

And of course:

quote:

Seventh-day Adventists do not celebrate Christmas or other religious festivals throughout the calendar year as holy feasts established by God. The only period in time Adventists celebrate as holy is the weekly Sabbath (from Friday sunset to Saturday sunset).

One quick note is that is that Seventh-day Adventists are not the ones who are weird about blood transfusions, that belief is held by Jehovah's Witnesses.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Oct 25, 2015

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

sharkbomb posted:

You're the second person to post this random source peddling the Jeb rumor. Have Trumpian agents infiltrated our beloved Something Awful?

A second person? We have confirmation!

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Smoothrich posted:

Benghazi really shouldn't of happened,

Smoothrich posted:

North Africa would not of fallen into anarchy I bet

President Trump wouldn't of let Benghazi happen

Smoothrich posted:

could easily of repelled the assault

Smoothrich posted:

I studied journalism
Should have studied English too lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Slight correction to fade: Adventists do not "keep Kosher," they follow the dietary laws laid out in Leviticus. This seems like a small distinction, but it means that they are fine with mixing meat and dairy, a Jewish rule that comes not from the Bible but from rabbinical tradition.

Carson's a vegetarian, anyways.

• Locked thread