Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
There is a process for impeachment I think but it would certainly require a super majority and barring the president going on live TV and gutting a pure lusitanian baby boy like a mackerel no one would open that can of worms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Honest Thief posted:

As usual, gently caress whichever consequences it might happen, only for the sake of partisian grudges.

Yes, i too think that the problem is leftist partisan grudges in a country where the president of the republic, and living exhibit in the Egyptian wing of the British museum, just said on national television that two democratically elected parties can't form a government because he doesn't agree with them.

Cliff Racer posted:

This sounds like something that one of your potential coalition partners would be A-Okay defending were it to occur in an ostensibly leftist country.

Also this. Where talking about a government that's been shutdown so hard in the Constitutional Court so many times due to plain stupid, unconstitutional laws, they might as well be freemen of the land.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...campaign=buffer

quote:

Europe's glory days at an end, warns Juncker
The European Union faces long-term economic decline and the “love affair” of integration is at risk, Jean Claude-Juncker has said in a downbeat assessment of the bloc’s future.
“Economically, we see the end of Europe’s glorious years compared with what others are doing,” the president of the European Commission said.
The “dream” of a unified continent is at risk from “fissures and fractures” of national divisions and separatist movements, he said.
“The European Union is not going very well,” Mr Juncker said. “And so we must ensure that we keep alive the ambitions, hopes and dreams of Europe.”
The EU’s share of global output is falling and will soon represent just 15 per cent of worldwide gross domestic product, while 80 per cent of growth is emerging from countries outside the European Union, he said.
With an ageing population, Europe’s share of the world’s population has fallen from 20 per cent a century ago to seven per cent now, and could be just four per cent by the end of this century when the world reaches ten billion people. “We are demographically weakened, and will remain so,” added Mr Juncker, the former Prime Minister of Luxembourg.
The warning over Europe’s comparative decline closely mirrors that of pro-Brexit campaigners who argue the UK should build ties with emerging economies rather than be “shackled to a corpse”.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The sooner the EU dies, the sooner austerity policies will also die.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Cat Mattress posted:

The sooner the EU dies, the sooner austerity policies will also die.

I look at ever increasing national debt and budget deficits and have to ask myself where all these austerity polices went.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Riso posted:

I look at ever increasing national debt and budget deficits and have to ask myself where all these austerity polices went.
That'll be because austerity doesn't work at all.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

forkboy84 posted:

That'll be because austerity doesn't work at all.

FYI moving funding from pile A to pile B is not austerity, it's merely different priorities.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Riso posted:

Debt is literally how countries function in capitalism. You aren't supposed to look at the debt number, you look at the consistency of debt payments. This is without confronting the fact that austerity actually retards growth, which in turn makes a country unable to meet debt payments, which in turn ruins the country. The EU is old, decrepit, and unproductive because it has adopted policies that destroy growth and remove spending power from the populace, which in turn makes it not-a-very-nice-place-to-move-to.

Austerity belongs in the same garbage bin as flat taxes (AKA "I bet this pyramid would be more stable if it were upside down!")

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

"EU integration is at risk" says the crocodile, shedding tears for the project that focused on economic growth instead of the well-being of its citizens for half a century. "How could this happen?" he added, dabbing at the tears with a €50 note.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

quote:

With an ageing population, Europe’s share of the world’s population has fallen from 20 per cent a century ago to seven per cent now, and could be just four per cent by the end of this century when the world reaches ten billion people. “We are demographically weakened, and will remain so,” added Mr Juncker, the former Prime Minister of Luxembourg.

"We have to outbreed the savage Mussulmen or the wall won't keep them out", added Viktor Orban. He then sighed as he drew his katana.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
"Regrettably, we were unable to prevent the Asians and South Americans from developing their economies. Even our successes in Africa are unlikely to last much longer," Juncker continued, sickly grey tears running from his eyes.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Effectronica posted:

"Regrettably, we were unable to prevent the Asians and South Americans from developing their economies. Even our successes in Africa are unlikely to last much longer," Juncker continued, sickly grey tears running from his eyes.

:thurman:

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Can anyone tell me what the hell is happening in Portugal at the moment? Facebook just lit up with news that the PM allegedly couped out of appointing a majority anti-EU leftist government.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Portuguese constitution doesn't force the President from appointing as PM someone from the majority party, so he appointed someone from a minority party instead.

Tias
May 25, 2008

But the EU opponents have a majority, yeah? Is that a solution that will hold up for much longer without voters losing confidence?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Tias posted:

Can anyone tell me what the hell is happening in Portugal at the moment? Facebook just lit up with news that the PM allegedly couped out of appointing a majority anti-EU leftist government.

Elections happened, the previous right wing government's coalition came in first but lacks a parliamentary majority. The three parties of the centre left, the hard left, and the communist left agreed to form a coalition and together they control a majority in parliament. The Portuguese president, instead of giving the mandate to form a government to the left coalition gave it to the right, because he's from the same party.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Tias posted:

The party that got the largest share of the votes in the recent elections got the mandate to form a government from the president and has now one week to do so. There is some uncertainty whether they will be able to secure a majority in the upcoming vote of confidence, because they need some left wing votes

Tias
May 25, 2008

Allright, thanks a lot!

Here's hoping none of the left parties cave, then.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I assume if the potential minority coalition can't get enough votes for a vote of confidence, either the president would have to go back to the left-coalition or there would have to be new elections?

The most likely scenario though at this point is a split in the PS? Obviously, there is a strong institutional push to keep a right-wing government in power and PS certainly has a neoliberal faction in it (or maybe it is the whole party)?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
The "anti-europeist" moniker is rubish, I doubt either of the left wing parties would take the country off the EU when it was never even on the table for them to get any ministries, it's a strict "support PS in parliament" "coalition". The media has been doing a blatant and disgusting propaganda campaign, those parties aren't anti-Europe, what they are is non-subservient to the current ruling ideology, the rest are blatant scare tactics to terrorize the population with the evil reds.

Ardennes posted:

The most likely scenario though at this point is a split in the PS? Obviously, there is a strong institutional push to keep a right-wing government in power and PS certainly has a neoliberal faction in it (or maybe it is the whole party)?
Not the whole party, just 3/4ths.

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Oct 25, 2015

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

poo poo, part of why BE does their thing is because they more or less pay attention to other countries and go "Wait, we looked at how England is dealing with jobs. You guys are doing this. You don't WANT THIS. NO." and the portuguese commentariat just taps them in the head, and that's how you end with months of treating the Syrian crisis as this "wacky thing that's happening elsewhere and only wacky leftists care about it instead of caring real things about pink celebrity bullshit magazines THE EVIL LEFTIST MEDIA going "It's messed up that Passos Coelho's wife is bald" or "We must boycott FIFA because Blatter called Ronaldo a dancer""

ChainsawCharlie posted:

All the Right then proceeds to absolutely loose its poo poo. Every politician and commentator from the Right cries "injustice!" and "outrageous" and "Coup d'Etat!" , further proving that the Right does not know how a parliamentary republic works, or even basic arithmetic.

My barometer for Right Wing coverage is just seeing how freaked Carla Quevedo at Sol is. And given she was screaming for democracy to get removed a few days ago and was wishing PAN of all things to create a "reason party" (*cough* FEMEN-based bullshit that ignores anything that isn't white or heterosexual *cough*), it's sort of high. And if someone who actually wrote a "Africans are uppity and outrage-whiners for daring to compare the Boko Haram 10000 people disappearance and University massacre to Charlie Hebdo since it disparages the latter" is freaking out, then all is well.

Kunster fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Oct 25, 2015

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

What sort of expectations did the PS campaign try to forge, anyway? Presumably they were gunning for first place in the election... and then what? Did they expect a victory to automatically entail getting a majority in parliament by themselves? I am going to at least be guessing that votes for PS were also votes against the government. So what would the expectation of an average PS voter be for a post-election government if not a coalition with the other left-wing parties?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

YF-23 posted:

What sort of expectations did the PS campaign try to forge, anyway? Presumably they were gunning for first place in the election... and then what? Did they expect a victory to automatically entail getting a majority in parliament by themselves? I am going to at least be guessing that votes for PS were also votes against the government. So what would the expectation of an average PS voter be for a post-election government if not a coalition with the other left-wing parties?

For a while it was looking like PS could have probably in fact created a government on their own (it would have been a stretch) or close to it before they sort of fell apart, they might have had to cut a deal with BE for supply. They took a giant hit during the actual election and basically now need the entire left united to form a government. PS lost some voters to the right but probably more to BE. Overall, the left does have a majority of the popular vote which does show a backlash versus austerity.

Ultimately, Portugal still has a very large deficit and a high debt to gdp ratio, but ultimately it still needs stimulative measures and a more progressive tax scale. Otherwise, Portugal will likely just list to the side for a few more years until the next crisis and then it is going to be truly screwed. Portugal already has one of the worst credit ratings in the EU.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Oct 25, 2015

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

YF-23 posted:

Everybody knew there wasn't gonna be a one-party majority and were pretty much just seeing what was gonna happen.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Via twitter, a poll of polls for Spain:

Lookit dat Podemos slope.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

back in may-June it looked like PS was a lock to win elections and (big) maybe get a majority in parliament.then they proceed to poo poo their pants.
The problem was the president of the republic this Thursday implying that he would not in fact accept a left coalition even if they reached agreement , telling a million voters that their vote doesnt count.
Is argument was that parties that have anti-eu or anti-nato stances don't belong in government.
Its a calculated move to force a split in PS, so that the center wing votes for or abstain from voting against the right wing government in the parliament, allowing it to pass.
The president is from the same party as the right wing coalition. It looked...bad.

Edit: the thing is, the president is the angular stone of the republic. He not only has to be impartial, he has to look impartial. He is the ultimate line of defense of the republic, has he has veto power. The oath of office starts with a solemn vow to defend the constitution. This president has allowed a ton of laws to pass that where latter ruled unconstitutional by the Constitutional court. So the perception was already there that as long as his party was in power, he wouldn't do anything to object it.
If he had just said "According to my constitutional powers , im tasking the winner of the elections to form a government. I urge all parties in parliament to reach a stable and lasting compromise." etc etc, no one would have batted an eye. The only thing he managed was the extreme everyone's positions, and the center wing of Ps which might have splitted from PS on this issue, now has no room to maneuver.I guess one other thing was he just painted himself as the bad guy, which might give some room to the current PM.

Antifa Poltergeist fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Oct 25, 2015

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

LemonDrizzle posted:

Via twitter, a poll of polls for Spain:

Lookit dat Podemos slope.

As per Euro-poll tradition, that number will either double or absolutely crater when actual votes are counted.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
If these polls are accurate, the interesting curve isn't that of Podemos, but that of C's.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

ChainsawCharlie posted:

back in may-June it looked like PS was a lock to win elections and (big) maybe get a majority in parliament.then they proceed to poo poo their pants.
The problem was the president of the republic this Thursday implying that he would not in fact accept a left coalition even if they reached agreement , telling a million voters that their vote doesnt count.
Is argument was that parties that have anti-eu or anti-nato stances don't belong in government.
Its a calculated move to force a split in PS, so that the center wing votes for or abstain from voting against the right wing government in the parliament, allowing it to pass.
The president is from the same party as the right wing coalition. It looked...bad.

Edit: the thing is, the president is the angular stone of the republic. He not only has to be impartial, he has to look impartial. He is the ultimate line of defense of the republic, has he has veto power. The oath of office starts with a solemn vow to defend the constitution. This president has allowed a ton of laws to pass that where latter ruled unconstitutional by the Constitutional court. So the perception was already there that as long as his party was in power, he wouldn't do anything to object it.
If he had just said "According to my constitutional powers , im tasking the winner of the elections to form a government. I urge all parties in parliament to reach a stable and lasting compromise." etc etc, no one would have batted an eye. The only thing he managed was the extreme everyone's positions, and the center wing of Ps which might have splitted from PS on this issue, now has no room to maneuver.I guess one other thing was he just painted himself as the bad guy, which might give some room to the current PM.

Granted, wouldn't this lead to an eventual backlash, especially if the PM struggles to get into government in the first place? I mean from a foreign perspective, it looks like the new government would have a severe legitimacy problem if it was practically hand picked by the president. I think both of them look bad to be honest.

Cat Mattress posted:

If these polls are accurate, the interesting curve isn't that of Podemos, but that of C's.

The rather spectacular rise of C is certainly the interesting thing, it would be interesting to see a write up of exactly what is fueling their meteoric rise. Their party program doesn't seem especially interesting considering what Spain is actually facing. I expected Podemos to take a bit of a hit but C is just eating them alive.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Oct 25, 2015

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

Ardennes posted:

Granted, wouldn't this lead to an eventual backlash, especially if the PM struggles to get into government in the first place? I mean from a foreign perspective, it looks like the new government would have a severe legitimacy problem if it was practically hand picked by the president. I think both of them look bad to be honest.

It does, and you're right on the legitimacy front, but before it looked that PS , or a enough portion of it, would vote for or abstain in parliament. Sure, PSD\CDS would have to do some major horse trading, but its not like they actually stick to any campaign promises , or values, or indeed anything. Then in 18-24 months maybe PS can force early elections and that would be it. This split would have the added advantage (from PSD\CDS side) of throwing PS into disarray in the near future, and they might have not recovered in time for those elections. They might even chose not to force early elections, depending on the political situation at that time.

Now...i mean your guess is as good as mine.The minority government looks almost a lock to be rejected in parliament , and the PR either backs off and appoints a left government (which goes against anything we know about the PR Cavaco Silva, hes not a back down kind of guy), or he appoints a interim government that basically wont do poo poo until new elections are called. The PR is at the end of his term so he cant, constitutionally, call for new elections. The next elections are in march for the presidency (where the clear front runner is also a guy from PSD, and this probably will poison the well for him too) and realistically new parliament elections can only be in June. Thats 8-9 months of a un-elected, interim government that wont enact a governing program or get a state budget approved.
Then ,It just some smacks of the increasingly EU trend of calling for elections until you get the result you want.

The thing is back in january\february a lot of people where saying that the PR should call for early elections for april\may exactly to avoid this , and he refused to do so because at that time PS seemed like a lock to win the elections.
This president cares deeply for his "historical legacy",it just seems hes trowing the country into disarray because of hubris.

This is not empirical evidence of anything , but this whole crisis just feels like something people will remember and hold grudges for a long, long time. it feels different somehow, and in the end we might get a push for a regime with more presidential powers (something the current PR as long advocated for, natch) , or a push to just turn the republic into a full parliamentary one, reducing the PR position to ceremonial head of state.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

ChainsawCharlie posted:

It does, and you're right on the legitimacy front, but before it looked that PS , or a enough portion of it, would vote for or abstain in parliament. Sure, PSD\CDS would have to do some major horse trading, but its not like they actually stick to any campaign promises , or values, or indeed anything. Then in 18-24 months maybe PS can force early elections and that would be it. This split would have the added advantage (from PSD\CDS side) of throwing PS into disarray in the near future, and they might have not recovered in time for those elections. They might even chose not to force early elections, depending on the political situation at that time.

Now...i mean your guess is as good as mine.The minority government looks almost a lock to be rejected in parliament , and the PR either backs off and appoints a left government (which goes against anything we know about the PR Cavaco Silva, hes not a back down kind of guy), or he appoints a interim government that basically wont do poo poo until new elections are called. The PR is at the end of his term so he cant, constitutionally, call for new elections. The next elections are in march for the presidency (where the clear front runner is also a guy from PSD, and this probably will poison the well for him too) and realistically new parliament elections can only be in June. Thats 8-9 months of a un-elected, interim government that wont enact a governing program or get a state budget approved.
Then ,It just some smacks of the increasingly EU trend of calling for elections until you get the result you want.

The thing is back in january\february a lot of people where saying that the PR should call for early elections for april\may exactly to avoid this , and he refused to do so because at that time PS seemed like a lock to win the elections.
This president cares deeply for his "historical legacy",it just seems hes trowing the country into disarray because of hubris.

This is not empirical evidence of anything , but this whole crisis just feels like something people will remember and hold grudges for a long, long time. it feels different somehow, and in the end we might get a push for a regime with more presidential powers (something the current PR as long advocated for, natch) , or a push to just turn the republic into a full parliamentary one, reducing the PR position to ceremonial head of state.

Thanks for the analysis, it seems like a lot of I would have feared from this result. Obviously, Portugal doesn't need 8 months of nothing being done even if it ties the hand of the PSD/CDS-PP, Portugal still has terrible unemployment and a dangerous deficit. The obvious issue is that the deficit is ultimately rooted in a dysfunctional economy, and desperate need for counter-cyclical spending. I don't know if any of the potential governments on the table have the ability to do much about this, but ultimately political chaos and increased uncertainty is exactly what the country doesn't need. In addition, as I said before, Portugal's debt and credit rating are both borderline and while Portuguese yields are held in check for now, the country desperately needs to avoid the "Greek treatment."

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

ChainsawCharlie posted:

The next elections are in march for the presidency (where the clear front runner is also a guy from PSD, and this probably will poison the well for him too)

Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa is a massive fake and a piece of poo poo too, but while the PSD voters(and PS, CDS) like him, the Party establishment hates his guts, and would probably prefer throwing the elections than have him as President. But then again Pedro Passos Coelho failed in getting a majority so he can't bully him out anymore.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Apparently there's a summit on migrants being held today, involving the heads of government of EU member states on the so-called Western Balkans route: Austria, Bulgaria, Croatia, the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Romania, Serbia and Slovenia.

Reports say it's getting a bit dramatic:

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

Electronico6 posted:

Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa is a massive fake and a piece of poo poo too, but while the PSD voters(and PS, CDS) like him, the Party establishment hates his guts, and would probably prefer throwing the elections than have him as President. But then again Pedro Passos Coelho failed in getting a majority so he can't bully him out anymore.

Yeah, the guy as been campaigning for the past 10 years with a commentary prime spot on tv every week, and as a really perfectly nailed down congenial tv persona that makes him look accessible and the grown up in the room.

I actually went to some of his classes in university and that perception maintains itself on live events, and hes really enthusiastic about politics and a excellent public speaker, so he'll probably do real well.
He's also a massive rear end in a top hat with a inflated sense of self worth, and on first name bases with every CEO and banker in the country.Maybe Sampaio comes back and kicks his rear end again.

LemonDrizzle posted:

Apparently there's a summit on migrants being held today, involving the heads of government of EU member states on the so-called Western Balkans route: Austria, Bulgaria, Croatia, the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Romania, Serbia and Slovenia.

Reports say it's getting a bit dramatic:

The EU:Chronicle of a Death Foretold.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Isn't C's just a vaguely liberal pro-EU party?

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Also, looks like Poland's version of UKIP, Law and Justice, just won an absolute majority of parliamentary seats in their election. Interesting times.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
Easy fix for EU refugee problem, which is caused by uncooperative Greek government:

-Kickout Greece
-Let the Balkan countries secure their own borders like Hungry does it.

Problem solved - Greece is a "safe" country and therefore all refugees can apply for asylum there.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I knew it, this whole "syrian refugees" thing always seemed like a poor man's trojan horse. Varoufakis! :argh:

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

LemonDrizzle posted:

Also, looks like Poland's version of UKIP, Law and Justice, just won an absolute majority of parliamentary seats in their election. Interesting times.

Yeah,in the chinese sense of "Interesting times."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

GaussianCopula posted:

Easy fix for EU refugee problem, which is caused by uncooperative Greek government

Ah yes, those treacherous Greeks and their secret importing of refugees against the wishes of the European metropolitan elite. loving Tsipras ruining our perfect union with his personal carrying of ten refugee families a day on his muscular back across the sea.

• Locked thread