Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

i wanna get necromancy but im a scrub and those bosses hit really really hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

killstealing posted:

I just counted up all the saltpeter I'll need to catch up in spells and cried.

What's you name in there?

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

killstealing posted:

Yeah but at least I'll be able to farm up the required things (with 45-50 fire) right? Right?!

In much the same way that you can farm up saltpeter with 35 fire.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

hakimashou posted:

What's you name in there?

Fortior; going out now though but I'll probably be back in a few hours.

senrath posted:

In much the same way that you can farm up saltpeter with 35 fire.

Hey I've been owning those deer and sheep in Kur. Thankfully the full moon is going to force me to spend less time on fire majick. Velkor is a jerk. The icy elf is a jerk too. Mages are jerks.

Orange DeviI fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Oct 22, 2015

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

It's the orcs that are the problem, really.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

killstealing posted:

Hey I've been owning those deer and sheep in Kur. Thankfully the full moon is going to force me to spend less time on fire majick. Velkor is a jerk. The icy elf is a jerk too. Mages are jerks.

It might be that elves are jerks, that's usually a safe bet.

If there's one semi-criticism I'd level at this game, it's that it's hard to really focus on a course of action. I found myself frequently distracted by other stuff whenever I tried to accomplish something, and it ended up feeling a little aimless, as when I got back to town, I hadn't really met any of my short-term goals. Of course, that's how sandbox games work. And, on the other hand, it still manages to be a lot of fun, running around psychoanalyzing the wildlife, taking mushrooms, and getting crabs. Is there any word from the dev about guilds in the game? I mean, I'm a scrub who tends to solo in MMOs but it'd be nice to have some cool dudes to guildchat with or ask for help when a boss turns me into a newt or whatever. I've only run into killstealing so far and I forgot to friend him while he was in range.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I think you can friend from a distance but if not I'm still online because flu

e: someone spotted me 38 saltpeter I jumped

Orange DeviI fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Oct 23, 2015

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

There's a rudimentary guild system already in the game. It'll be more fleshed out later.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I can run folks to the necro shrine now so if anyone needs a hookup just add Fortior.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

senrath posted:

There's a rudimentary guild system already in the game. It'll be more fleshed out later.

Having fully caught up on the thread, I now know about the new guild system (last post I'd read before downloading was from, like, April). That'll teach me to skip pages. Doesn't seem like there's a guild yet, so I figure I may as well set it up, to make it slightly easier to keep track of each other and more importantly because Elrond Hubbard is the sort of name that carries a certain level of obligation to take on those kinds of responsibilities. Also a little bit because if people notice we're goons you just know there's a couple people that would completely lose their poo poo conflating us with, like, the EVE Online guys, and that would be funny to watch. For name, I'm thinking something along the lines of "Church of Mycology" but I'm not gonna rush in and go doing it immediately given the low population, seems like it'd be okay to wait on it in case I think of a funnier name.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Wow all the player instrument tracks mesh together in some way, this is great.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

killstealing posted:

Wow all the player instrument tracks mesh together in some way, this is great.

Yes and additional skill levels flush the sound out better / make it sound nicer.

This is a very fun, well made and awesome pve mmo

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Do player instruments still make people crash a while after hearing them, even if you disable instrument sound entirely? There was a pretty funny stretch of time where tubas were literally destroying the world and being anywhere near the Serbule town square was playing with fire. :laffo: Best bug I've ever experienced in an MMO.

I haven't played in a bit, I'm always taking breaks so as not to burn out on a good-but-unfinished game. It's so good though, and I'm glad more goons are getting into it.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
It's so lovely. I haven't crashed yet and I idle there all the time.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

killstealing posted:

I can run folks to the necro shrine now so if anyone needs a hookup just add Fortior.

I'll add you later tonight and shoot you an im if you're on

I'm poor as poo poo but I have an unpig juice if you want it

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I can't do it during full moon for reasons so you've got a few hours I reckon :v:

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

killstealing posted:

I can't do it during full moon for reasons so you've got a few hours I reckon :v:

haha np we are taking my mom out to dinner tonight as it is

Maybe later in the week :)

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Ah yeah I just got home from dinner so unfortunate timing I guess.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Hey, I noticed while playing that the wiki's pretty incomplete, and some of the information's a little vague, so while there's already a Google doc for general "who has X skill for when you might need them" stuff, I've made this document for people who need specific information or items. Should help consolidate questions and such. Hopefully it'll prove helpful.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Is it full moon again?

I need to log on and talk poo poo to the wolf people

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I really want that hunting speed boon you get from the wolf altar, 8 sprint out of combat sounds amazing. Yeah it's full moon, I killed Bleddyn to celebrate

http://projectgorgon.com/forum/new-and-announcements/1217-oct-25-new-test-server-build#8998

Looks interesting!

Orange DeviI fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Oct 26, 2015

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
It's been a while since I played. Have there been any major changes to crafting or the loot system since the unity 5 update? I was having a lot of fun until I got to the point where I was slaughtering hundreds of manticores and dropping random purples because they weren't an upgrade for my build.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
they did a big update that redid all the gear recently

also i guess there is an altar now where you can reroll your gear attributes over and over

I havent had much time to play it since the big update though.

Fire magic has had its cap raised to lv 60, so have a bunch of other skills.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!

hakimashou posted:

they did a big update that redid all the gear recently

also i guess there is an altar now where you can reroll your gear attributes over and over

I havent had much time to play it since the big update though.

Fire magic has had its cap raised to lv 60, so have a bunch of other skills.

I took my last break right before the sword changes that removed all the life leaching and turned it into armor leaching. That pretty much nuked my main build. I'll have to look over the forums and see if I can find more info on the altar you mentioned. If other combat classes have had the caps raised to 60 then maybe there's stuff for me to do again that isn't cheese.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
I feel like a total newbie again. I don't know what the hell is going on in game anymore. Anyone have a recommendation on a decent soloing build? Are psych / mentalism mandatory now since self heals have been removed from everything else?

Doctor Soup
Nov 4, 2009

I have nothing but confidence in you, and very little of that.
Did they actually remove self-heals from everything but those two skills? Even the universal heals?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I have fire magic/battle chem and still get self heal off the FM gear

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Heads up to anyone who missed it for a while like I did: the Halloween event *is* still up and "giant bat" is now an animal form in the game. :buddy: Once Halloween actually ends you'll only be able to get it by asking another player bat to chew on you in PvP.

I was able to get it on a completely unleveled alt by throwing myself repeatedly at an angry bat that was hanging around Serbule's sacrificial altar. The bat would generally one-shot me, but after a few tries it used the bite and infected me before I dropped. (Lowbie alts should watch out for other critters in the area too, basically everything that spawns from stuffing skulls in the altar can probably one-shot you. On the bright side it's a great way to farm new sources of dying exp!)

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

I might have to make time for that. Is there a set time for the event to end, and how do you turn back? Quest line, item, or skill?

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

senrath posted:

I might have to make time for that. Is there a set time for the event to end, and how do you turn back? Quest line, item, or skill?

No idea when it ends, I actually thought it was over already. :iiam: I believe the wolf in the garden sells un-bat potions (and animal belts) and has been fixed to talk to all animals again, which is nice since he's another friendly merchant.

Anyone who hasn't played an animal before, or hasn't started a new one in a long time: don't forget to talk to Marna and get first aid/armor patching before you transform! And get your hands on five ancient bronze coins first too, at minimum, or you'll be locked out of bank access until you do. (I can't remember if the lock applies to the transfer chest, I forgot to check. But don't risk it.)

Haven't had the chance to actually play the bat yet (had to go to bed after the transformation timer ran down), but apparently they can fly, which is nice. I refuse to put up with druid's downsides so this will be my first chance to experience it.

EDIT: Woah, you can fly at bat level 1, even. It drains power like crazy though. This is probably a good character to level mentalism on.

mushroom_spore fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Nov 25, 2015

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Level 28 necromancy gives +1 giant bat as well, which is nice. Mentalism is rather broken at the moment (in a good way): Electrify, a spell you can get from Mu in the Myconian Cave, has so many mods on gear it's possible to turn it into a 2000+ damage AoE nuke with a 2 second stun attached. Pain bubble doubles that damage at later ranks, which has hilarious results.

Bat is cool but ultimately rather samey, even if it gets some very good gear mods. AoE and a melee Life Steal spell, basically. Got it to 51 and turned back. Still a Lycanthrope anyway.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
I logged in and ran around town for a bit but didn't find that stupid bat. How often does he spawn? I saw something mentioned elsewhere about needing to cure disease and then get bitten again for it to take effect. Can someone give me the TL:DR on how to get bat?

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Inimicul posted:

I logged in and ran around town for a bit but didn't find that stupid bat. How often does he spawn? I saw something mentioned elsewhere about needing to cure disease and then get bitten again for it to take effect. Can someone give me the TL:DR on how to get bat?

ask someone in global to bite you in the serbule pvp cellar, 10% chance per bite

then wait until you get infected with fevered tristmus, a basic disease with a 2 hour duration

when it runs out you immediately turn into a bat, but beware that it can get cured by cure disease

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
So it's not like crow or deer form that you can bounce in and out of at will? That doesn't seem as interesting.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Inimicul posted:

The various monsters spawn by feeding skulls into the altar, bat can spawn from animal skulls supposedly. I kept getting skeletons and just happened to wander by later and a bat was standing around. :iiam: Cure Disease no longer has anything to do with the full bat form (only the countdown disease timer) according to the update notes, that was just an earlier bugged version. If you had the earlier bugged version you would have to get it cured and then get the new fixed version of the disease.

Inimicul posted:

So it's not like crow or deer form that you can bounce in and out of at will? That doesn't seem as interesting.

The opposite is true actually. Citan has stated that the reason raven and deer currently will never get anything special (like the talk of spiders learning to climb walls or something) is *because* you can swap in and out of them so easily. He was debating taking deer away from druids entirely so deer form could actually get some cool special abilities. I don't know if that's still on the table, I've been out of MMOs for a while.

Basically the "real" animal forms like cow, pig, spider, bat and normal deer (if it's taken away from druid skill), are the ones that will get all the love and the most interesting features as development goes on AFAIK.

mushroom_spore fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Nov 26, 2015

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Ok then. If I think about bat form as one of the cursed animal forms then it'll still be worth picking up one day if for no other reason than it'll allow me to grind through another combat tree. I just won't do it until I finish all the weapon trees. I dread working on archery.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
It turns out that instruments count as a combat skill (probably because it goes on the skill bar) in that you can get music xp from killing while playing. I just maxed out Tuba while feeding trolls to my Grimalkin.

Minimum Syntaxing
Oct 29, 2008

He looks white, but he's the son of a black man!

hakimashou posted:

they changed my name from pisschrist to pisschris :(

hakimashou posted:

Anyway I messaged the dev a mea culpa and asked if he'd be willing to change it to something else, or if pisschris would be my *cross to bear*

hakimashou posted:

it was my *cross to bear*

That's fuckin' hilarious, the mods sound cool and now I wanna play this game.

So I made a character with a pun I think is good, now logging in I am told that this is a guest account - Is the account name independent of my character name? Or are they the same/one character per account?

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Fartmaster posted:

So I made a character with a pun I think is good, now logging in I am told that this is a guest account - Is the account name independent of my character name? Or are they the same/one character per account?

You have to convert the temp guest account into a real account in order to keep it, I think it's somewhere in the top button on your right sidebar. Definitely one of those buttons, anyway, it's been a while.

The whole guest account thing is a little weird but I assume it's required setup for trial accounts when the game goes b2p.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minimum Syntaxing
Oct 29, 2008

He looks white, but he's the son of a black man!
Alright so we can have multiple characters per account then right?