Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Trier posted:

Those loving elves who think all they're able to do is shoot their goddamn bow :tbear:

:tbear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

Trier posted:

Those loving elves who think all they're able to do is shoot their goddamn bow :tbear:

I *just* bought this game because I was interested in dual wielding longswords as an elf and mowing down rats, is that viable?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Tamayachi posted:

I *just* bought this game because I was interested in dual wielding longswords as an elf and mowing down rats, is that viable?

God dammit yes.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Tamayachi posted:

It's really one of the things Kerillian is best at.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

Coolguye posted:

They currently clearly ARE considered something other than specials, which is potentially part of the problem because they equally clearly pose a special's threat profile.

I agree with this. A single stormvermin strike takes most of a shields stamina and a significant amount of your health on higher difficulties. Sure you can push them but they push back and something likely gets a swing in. They are best handled exactly like any other special, something going at a high velocity through the cranium.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
Sweet, then I'm doubly excited for this game, when it finally finishes downloading.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

Tamayachi posted:

You are the tsundere blender. Go hog wild.

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!
I love me the Waywatcher, and I do love me the bow. But the bow is BEST at killing special vermin. Head Shot, Trueflight, best Special Vermin killer, period. For everything else, use the swords!

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

Kaldaris posted:

I love me the Waywatcher, and I do love me the bow. But the bow is BEST at killing special vermin. Head Shot, Trueflight, best Special Vermin killer, period. For everything else, use the swords!

Mainly play BW but waywatcher is my second pick (especially with goons) and this is what I've kinda leaned into.

Rhadamanthus
Dec 12, 2004

I roll a lotta sushi, roll 'em fat like John Belushi; call me Desi Arnaz, dogg, I love the Lucy.
Why is there so much contention regarding the Elf (besides her being a surly Hot Topic teenager)? Haven't tried her or the Bright Wizard yet.

I was not expecting to enjoy using a shield so much. I love slappin' down some rattes and then pummeling them with my mace. The overhand head-bop is fuckin' brutal.

Anyone have any graphics settings tips? The game seems to run beautifully in some portions of the maps, but chugs elsewhere, with no dependency on how many rattes are on screen.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Pubbies seemingly gravitate towards the Wood Elf, and they range from "do you have any common sense at all" to "top kills/damage, annihilates special rats". More often towards the former.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Rhadamanthus posted:

Why is there so much contention regarding the Elf (besides her being a surly Hot Topic teenager)? Haven't tried her or the Bright Wizard yet.
Do you play other FPS games? The elf is essentially the same person who plays the sniper class. Every once in a while they'll be a god of death that chain-headshots specials and stormvermin while blending every horde to pieces, but most of the time they'll pull Stormvermin patrols for no reason and run around like an idiot. I think part of it is also that dual-swords area really easy to murder hordes by just spamming LMB so they do better with that than a lot of classes and end up never having to learn more of the combat system so get poo poo on even harder on higher difficulties.

I am also bad at this game.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Does the game ever tell you about the bag-hauling stiff arm? Because that has saved my rear end so many times.

Magile
May 20, 2008
I'm trying to get behind the Dwarf Ranger, since my normal go-to (Bright Wizard) can be a liability on Nightmare or Cataclysm difficulties. My biggest issue is that I'm not getting the items for him, since I feel like he does best with Shield, but the biggest thing throwing me off is how to use his shield effectively. I try using the charge attack (held left-click), but the damage seems very pitiful and it leaves me open to just getting beat on while I charge it, even for a second (although it does seem like it can't be interrupted, unlike a two-handed weapon charging up). The push back when blocking seems very effective in controlling the mobs of Skaven, so I can only imagine that the most effective way to play him is to just push rats around and off your allies while they do all the damage?

While on the subject on being effective, just how much damage do you gain from charging an attack all the way instead of just holding down for 0.1 second and letting go?

Goatschach
Dec 25, 2006

Who watches the goatman?

Magile posted:

I'm trying to get behind the Dwarf Ranger, since my normal go-to (Bright Wizard) can be a liability on Nightmare or Cataclysm difficulties. My biggest issue is that I'm not getting the items for him, since I feel like he does best with Shield, but the biggest thing throwing me off is how to use his shield effectively. I try using the charge attack (held left-click), but the damage seems very pitiful and it leaves me open to just getting beat on while I charge it, even for a second (although it does seem like it can't be interrupted, unlike a two-handed weapon charging up). The push back when blocking seems very effective in controlling the mobs of Skaven, so I can only imagine that the most effective way to play him is to just push rats around and off your allies while they do all the damage?

While on the subject on being effective, just how much damage do you gain from charging an attack all the way instead of just holding down for 0.1 second and letting go?

If you have an effective team, they will group up on swarms. The dwarf shield guy's job is to keep his guard up and shield push skaven groups to pull their aggro pretty much, occasionally charge attacking to regain stamina. If you find yourself dueling with a big group by yourself you can use jump+back to keep distance and time your charge attacks to knock huge groups down and do some damage. With enough practice you can whittle away at giant hordes and pull out a clutch win for your team if everyone else drops. Using a wall to cover your six is great, but just maintaining an awareness of where the bad guys are works out much better while you maneuver around an area so you always have a quick escape to buy you time before re-engaging.

I'm not sure about how much damage you gain while charging, but some weapons have lower damage on their charge attacks then basic attacks. The two handed hammers I know do less damage with their charge attack, but hit a huge area and cause knockdown. Generally charge attacks are a per situation basis, such as getting swarmed with a two hander and using it to kill a few and knock others away. Don't worry too much about optimizing your damage from them.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Elf is ok, I just don't care for her.

Like obviously if I'm playing with other people, and one of them wants to be the Elf, I'm not going to sperg at them about the VIABILITY OF THE ELF because that's insane.

Just running the numbers on the side, Soldier and Dwarf in the same game basically means your melee is covered, and if they are playing well, they should have the hordes on lockdown/keep everything off the WH/BW. They are both incredibly good at special killing as well, which means a team of on point Soldier/Dwarf usually means all specials die before they reach the party. They are the MvP classes of this game as far as I'm considered, and as I eyeball the later difficulties, I can't imagine trying them without a Soldier/Dwarf combo.

BW and WH are the screen clearers of the team, and both are really loving good at it. When supported properly by the Soldier/Dwarf, they can make everything disappear quickly, and keep the party moving.

The Elf is supposed to be "versatile" and can cover the spots needed when pubbies/AI start to fail. If the Soldier or Dwarf end up being lovely, her longswords have good stamina, they have a knockback, and she does good AoE damage, meaning she can cover blocking/melee. If the Soldier/Dwarf can't aim for poo poo/brought close range weapons, she can be the special slayer. If the WH/BW are loving off/being dumbasses, she can help AoE down the packs for people. I'm just biased because I play Soldier/Dwarf and do it well, so any Elf that plays with me, even good Elves end up just being a wasted slot almost, since they just plink at people with the bow.

Actually that's the other problem. The Elf is a great melee killer, and every Elf you met just plays an ineffectual archer. This is a melee game, get the gently caress in melee, do you loving Elves see how many shields you get for blocking with your loving longswords. That's almost a full sword/shield combo, and you get a ton of loving damage/aoe damage while using them. The bow is for killing longrange poo poo, not for you to sit in the back and whine about how little damage you do with them. Of course they do poo poo damage, the game was designed for you to be a melee class, and for the bow to kill specials with.

Like, looking at Nightmare, and seeing that ranged damage causes friendly fire, but melee doesn't? I'd say my ideal team would be Soldier/Dwarf/Elf/WH. Problem is any nongoon Elf you meet will be aghast if you suggest they use their swords.

Basically gently caress pubbies.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

Rookersh posted:

Basically gently caress pubbies.

This is it for every game.

Trier
Aug 8, 2011

Stupid Newbie

Magile posted:

I main Shield Dwarf. The damage output IS pathetic, shields aren't for murderizing. You're gonna want a friend with a good AoE weapon like a conflagrate BW or a zweihander Trooper or something. The LMB charge is pretty much all you need, once you get the first charged off you can pretty much stunlock them until they die. Only time I use the block-push is against stormvermin or if I need a moment of respite to get my charge train going. I don't think there's any damage boost from charging it longer, but I could be wrong about that.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Melee elf who is blocking and sticking and moving is a loving blender and almost as much fun as rapier Hunter.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

The Bright Wizard's heat bleed-off mechanic is preparing me for the day I somehow get a Betelgeuse in Planetside 2 :stonklol:

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

Gimnbo posted:

Does the game ever tell you about the bag-hauling stiff arm? Because that has saved my rear end so many times.

um what

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

if you right click while carrying a bag or a keg your character will shove dudes

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Right clicking while holding a bag or barrel makes you do a push, complete with a hilarious looking "talk to the hand" animation. You only get 2 shields, though.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Trier posted:

I main Shield Dwarf. The damage output IS pathetic, shields aren't for murderizing. You're gonna want a friend with a good AoE weapon like a conflagrate BW or a zweihander Trooper or something. The LMB charge is pretty much all you need, once you get the first charged off you can pretty much stunlock them until they die. Only time I use the block-push is against stormvermin or if I need a moment of respite to get my charge train going. I don't think there's any damage boost from charging it longer, but I could be wrong about that.

I went from shield Soldier to 2H hammer Soldier. It functions almost exactly the same, except I kill everything in the sweep instead of just knock them back. Also the light attack one hit kills everything.

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It is always the elf who is lagging behind to shoot a goddamn bow from way back and getting hooked

It is always the dwarf who Rambos ahead alone, ignoring all the loot chests and no return ledges and aggros an entire level and complains when he dies

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Fatshark need to go hog-wild and just toss in more blatant l4d-style specials to further screw over players with.

Exhibit A, the Charger analogue:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Night10194 posted:

Melee elf who is blocking and sticking and moving is a loving blender and almost as much fun as rapier Hunter.

It's like rapier Hunter except you do twice the damage. :getin:

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Still needs Hoxton- his accent is lore-friendly.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Coolguye posted:

They currently clearly ARE considered something other than specials, which is potentially part of the problem because they equally clearly pose a special's threat profile.

sick of seeing 35+ motherfucking storm vermin in poo poo like black powder and wheat & chaff

why did i get rid of my green witch hunter axe

gently caress

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I feel sorry for those rat slavs.

It's like if someone kidnapped a nerd and threw them into a warzone

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
I've lost multiple missions now because the cart bugged and wouldn't let us leave. I just want my loot :argh:

Chaitai
Apr 15, 2006
Nope. I got nothin' witty to go here.

College Slice
I just unlocked my second trinket slot without obtaining any trinkets. :emo: :smith:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Gimnbo posted:

Right clicking while holding a bag or barrel makes you do a push, complete with a hilarious looking "talk to the hand" animation. You only get 2 shields, though.

also while holding medical kits or potions or really anything other than your weapons

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

Chaitai posted:

I just unlocked my second trinket slot without obtaining any trinkets. :emo: :smith:

I have one that gives 2.0% movement speed. Would you like it.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

YOURFRIEND posted:

Is something that boring even legal?

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Chaitai posted:

I unlocked all three before I got my first trinket.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

moths posted:

Ok the Wizard heat system is completely unintuitive and isn't explained anywhere:

If you vent before you reach the dot on the bar, you cool down. If you vent after heating past the dot, venting deals damage and you cool down.

But otherwise the heat won't hurt you. Cooling down naturally doesn't hurt you. And if your heat maxes out, you... explode? (I haven't tried that yet.) The game just tells you to PRESS R TO VENT! which makes you die.

So if you cross the line, throw spells until you're about to die, then be melee until your staff cools down?

Wait, is that why I was slowly hurting myself? I thought I was hurting myself because I was going OVER the damned limit, not because I was trying to stay under. Goddamnit, that's so counter-intuitive.

"Oops, barely miss-managed my overcharge and went over the line, better start cooling off before I hurt myself too bad" I said a dozen times, not realizing that I'm damaging myself and I'd be totally fine if I just kept lobbing fireballs into rat faces.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

YOURFRIEND posted:

I just finished a level and all 3 green reward slots were trinkets. I got this thing. I would like the non-boring ones please.

I guess I'm mildly better at carrying bags.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

2% movement speed might be just enough to outrun some rats. Could be nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Agghhhhh - I've got so much green and blue dwarf / elf poo poo I'll never use and my buddy has green / blue witch hunter poo poo he'll never use.

I'd really love to be able to trade gear in the inn.

• Locked thread