Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

So last February I dropped my key into a river and it was in there for quite a while (for an electronic device) but still works. It still does work, but i think the water may have stuffed the battery up or something because I replaced it not long before I went and its already dying, but the screw holding the key together rusted and I tried to turn it and broke off the middle of the head. As in, the head of the screw is still attached, but it's shaped like an icecream cone and I can't undo it.

What do?

Isopropanol to clean the board up would be good start, also I found that cheap button batteries died pretty drat quick in my MY05 and MY04 cars as well, go for good energizer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

toplitzin posted:

A small screwdriver and a drop of superglue.

I'll give this a go in the morning when I can find a spare screw to replace it.

Chiwie posted:

Isopropanol to clean the board up will be a pretty good start with at work, also I found that cheap button batteries died pretty drat quick in my MY05 and MY04 cars as well, go for good energizer.

I'll do this too. I think that maybe the board isn't damaged, I'm really hoping its a crap battery. I unlocked the car with the button and locked it with the keyhole and left it in the sun on top of a tent for a few days to dry before using it again, so I might be lucky and have no corrosion. I'll clean it anyway though.

RocketSurgeon posted:

How accurate are the average fuel consumption stats the factory gives out and what the onboard computer gives? I recently bought a 2007 hatchback impreza and the onboard computer shows about a 9.4 l/100km(factory stats are 8.6)average. After running through a full tank trying to be as economic as possible and driving mostly on highways im calculating a 12-13l/100km which seems a bit excessive. Should I be worried?

Yeah its high, my 03 na wagon got between 7 and 8 unless I had to drive in heavy traffic.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Oct 19, 2015

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Every car I've driven with gas usage estimates is always very optimistic. You're probably fine.

RocketSurgeon
Mar 2, 2008
Yeah but the onboard estimate should atleast be close to reality, shouldn't it?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Mine tends to overestimate between 2 and 3 mpg, I'm not quite sure how that converts to L/km. How many tanks of gas have you been getting that type mileage? Could be a bad tank of gas. Is it relatively flat where you're driving or hilly? It's hard to tell why your mileage sucks sometimes because there's so many variables.

RocketSurgeon
Mar 2, 2008
Yeah kinda dumb of me not to give you more info but I mostly drive on completely flat terrain with about 60-70% on highways the rest in low density traffic. I've had the car for less than a month and this is the 2nd full tank I've gone through with roughly the same results. After I got through the first tank I was wondering where the high consumption came from then the car went to have its 150k km service. They cleaned something in the air intake, some kind of valve I believe. I thought that would fix the problem but it didn't seem to.
The engine is a 2 liter 110kw with a manual transmission.
2mpg is about 0.4liters.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

RocketSurgeon posted:

How accurate are the average fuel consumption stats the factory gives out and what the onboard computer gives? I recently bought a 2007 hatchback impreza and the onboard computer shows about a 9.4 l/100km(factory stats are 8.6)average. After running through a full tank trying to be as economic as possible and driving mostly on highways im calculating a 12-13l/100km which seems a bit excessive. Should I be worried?

My car computer is usually 1-2 mpg better than what Fuelly calculates.

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006

RocketSurgeon posted:

Yeah but the onboard estimate should atleast be close to reality, shouldn't it?

How often are you resetting your trip meter for fuel economy readouts? It's fairly easy to gauge against your actual fuel consumption, take your distance travelled and divide that by your fuel used from refuel to refuel.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Is there anything to recommend a 08 Legacy GT over an 07?

Armyman25 fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Oct 19, 2015

TheFargate
Oct 6, 2007
Stock mine was pretty good. After my tune, my car tells me my avg is 30 mpg! (Its actually 18.5ish)

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I'm looking at buying a 2004 Impreza and was wondering if someone could show me WHERE I look to see if the headgasket was replaced. I know you look for the dimpled tabs and the metal-looking gasket, but I don't know enough about Subarus or cars in general to know WHERE this gasket would be.

I'm planning on buying it from a dealership, so I don't necessarily trust them to tell me the truth about this costly repair.

EDIT: The other car was not available, so I decided to look at this 2004.

Slimy Hog fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Oct 20, 2015

blk
Dec 19, 2009
What's a ballpark parts cost for timing belt and accoutrements on my EJ255?

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

blk posted:

What's a ballpark parts cost for timing belt and accoutrements on my EJ255?

Anywhere between 1-2k, depending on the shop. Mostly in labour.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Yeah, I'm comparing just parts to a p+l quote I got from a good shop. Trying to determine what my time is worth.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Yeah its high, my 03 na wagon got between 7 and 8 unless I had to drive in heavy traffic.

You must have a smaller engine or something because my 03 2.5TS can't get below 10 to save its life.

Rubber band on the screw head usually helps when a screw is camming out, although it sounds worse than that already.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Seat Safety Switch posted:

You must have a smaller engine or something because my 03 2.5TS can't get below 10 to save its life.

Rubber band on the screw head usually helps when a screw is camming out, although it sounds worse than that already.

2.0 GX.

Yeah the screws completely gone. I forgot to buy superglue today but I think thats my only option. It's literally conical.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
If you're a braver man than I would be in the same circumstance I bet a very tiny drill bit could catch it and back it out if you lube it up first with something like PB.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
If super glue doesn't work:

Left hand drill bit

Or

JB weld a cheap rear end screwdriver on, let it cure, back the ho out

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003
I have a Subaru mystery. Today this arrived by UPS:

It is what appears to be a decent quality portable vac, a 12V air compressor, and a $100 prepaid VISA. Everything is Subaru branded. The card says it is "to show our gratitude for the opportunity to improve your Subaru experience."

But I bought my STI used a couple of years ago from a dude, not a dealer. I've never even taken it to a dealer. Although I've bought some stuff for it (mostly from Jamal, thanks Jamal) the only OEM parts I've ever bought was a box of oil filters off some Amazon seller. I don't remember entering any sort of Subaru sweepstakes except for some T-shirt offer I found on Coupons years (and at least one address) ago.

Is Subaru stalking me? If I ignore this package, will the gifts get ever more elaborate and expensive?

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Theres a good chance they sent it to the previous owner and he told them he doesn't own it anymore. Dunno why they've sent it, but thats what happened with my airbag/steering wheel grenade letters.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

Theres a good chance they sent it to the previous owner and he told them he doesn't own it anymore. Dunno why they've sent it, but thats what happened with my airbag/steering wheel grenade letters.

Could be -- but I've moved since I bought it. Dude had my old address, but not the new one.

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006
If you have your vehicle registered on mysubaru or whatever it's called these days, and live in one of their targeted areas, you'll occasionally get free subaru swag.

I've been sent subaru raybans, a t-shirt, an umbrella, and some odd magazine they publish; I should probably update my address, as that was ~4yrs ago.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

McSpatula posted:

If you have your vehicle registered on mysubaru or whatever it's called these days, and live in one of their targeted areas, you'll occasionally get free subaru swag.

I've been sent subaru raybans, a t-shirt, an umbrella, and some odd magazine they publish; I should probably update my address, as that was ~4yrs ago.

Nothing in my LastPass, nothing in my email...I don't recall that, but it's not out of the question if they offer parts diagrams or anything useful like that.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

saint gerald posted:

Could be -- but I've moved since I bought it. Dude had my old address, but not the new one.

Yeah I also moved since buying my car, before the takata thing happened. I think they look the vin up and send it to wherever the cars registered?

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

Yeah I also moved since buying my car, before the takata thing happened. I think they look the vin up and send it to wherever the cars registered?

That would probably do it.

The card is worded like it's a follow-up to something, though. But I don't know what. Still, this stuff is pretty sweet. I guess I'll spend my $100 on that Android head unit I was contemplating.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I want that stuff but I feel Subaru probably believes having me as a multiple-car owner is damaging their brand more than anything.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Anyone tried this before? DIY smoke machine with 3psi regulated air and mineral oil smoke.

http://www.pontiacbonnevilleclub.com/forum/general-chat/topic35820.html

I have a "large leak" and don't want to pay a shop $100+ to do the same thing with fancier hoses and gauges.

stevobob fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Oct 25, 2015

Altimeter
Sep 10, 2003

So... just how difficult is doing an engine replacement in one of these? I lent my winter car to a friend to use for the summer and it now has a nice new inspection window in the engine block. Not 100% sure on the how, but thats not important here anyway. What is important is that i have an 01 Legacy GT Limited with a 5 speed and an LSD in the back that was the best snow car I've ever owned, and I'm torn between giving the car up or getting a new motor. I can't think that the car is realistically worth too much, but I've taken good care of it in the 7ish years I had it, and I just did about a grand worth of work to replace the exhaust, and quite a bit of other major work in the last couple years. The body is in meh to decent shape, no major cancer rust yet, which is impressive considering its done a decade of Minnesota winters. I am moderately mechanically inclined, I've done a fair share of basic maintanance stuff on vehicles in the past, but never anything like pulling a engine. So that leaves me with a few questions:

Is it worth throwing another motor into a 14/15 year old car?
Is it something I could manage myself in a weekend or so?
Where would I even look to find another engine that would cost me more than the car is worth?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

It's a weekend project for the most part, they're really simple for swapping in and out. I'd definitely say it's worth it if the rest of it is in half decent condition.

Check out my project thread, lots of pulling and replacing Subaru motors in there.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

stevobob posted:

Anyone tried this before? DIY smoke machine with 3psi regulated air and mineral oil smoke.

http://www.pontiacbonnevilleclub.com/forum/general-chat/topic35820.html

I have a "large leak" and don't want to pay a shop $100+ to do the same thing with fancier hoses and gauges.

I still wonder if you can do this with an e-cigarette or a dollar store fog machine.

Also your leak is probably one of the big hoses out back, usually the lowest riding one in my experience.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Mutar posted:

So... just how difficult is doing an engine replacement in one of these? I lent my winter car to a friend to use for the summer and it now has a nice new inspection window in the engine block. Not 100% sure on the how, but thats not important here anyway. What is important is that i have an 01 Legacy GT Limited with a 5 speed and an LSD in the back that was the best snow car I've ever owned, and I'm torn between giving the car up or getting a new motor. I can't think that the car is realistically worth too much, but I've taken good care of it in the 7ish years I had it, and I just did about a grand worth of work to replace the exhaust, and quite a bit of other major work in the last couple years. The body is in meh to decent shape, no major cancer rust yet, which is impressive considering its done a decade of Minnesota winters. I am moderately mechanically inclined, I've done a fair share of basic maintanance stuff on vehicles in the past, but never anything like pulling a engine. So that leaves me with a few questions:

Is it worth throwing another motor into a 14/15 year old car?
Is it something I could manage myself in a weekend or so?
Where would I even look to find another engine that would cost me more than the car is worth?

Engine swaps sound really complex until you do them. If it's the same engine and loom, it's like a very big very heavy diy computer.

Altimeter
Sep 10, 2003

So I guess the question then is how do I go about finding another motor? As much as the idea of dropping something with some more oomph and a turbo sounds awesome, I think I have to be realistic and get another NA 2.5. I saw RockAuto had them at something like 2800-3000 which would seem to be... high. Is there a reputable source of used/rebuilt motors? Sorry for dumb questions like this, but its all new to me. Can I just go rip one out of a junkyard? How would I know if the donor motor is any good? etc.

EDIT - I have either an awesome wife or a terrible one. She's asking about the feasibility of a turbo'd engine swap. Can I get some clarification on just how much more work would be involved if I were to say I wanted to go in that direction?

Altimeter fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Oct 26, 2015

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Junkyard can be a gamble, for the most part it's "ran when crashed". Basic health can be found by taking a ratchet and turning it over to see how it feels, look at the dipstick, look around the motor for leaks, and most of all, look at the condition of the interior. Usually trashed interior means they didn't really do maintenance on it. It'll still be a bit of a gamble though, but they're pretty stout motors so you should be able find one in reasonable condition. I think some places will already have pulled motors that are known to be good and sell them as "turn-key" swaps and those come with a very-very limited warranty.

Or look at your local classifieds for someone parting one out, or someone who has a spare motor they're selling.

There's no need to go with a rebuilt, or factory fresh block for sure. A fully dressed junkyard motor is going to be a much easier swap.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I still wonder if you can do this with an e-cigarette or a dollar store fog machine.

Also your leak is probably one of the big hoses out back, usually the lowest riding one in my experience.

Are you referring to the large ones beside the charcoal canister, connected to (presumably) the vent valve?

edit: Also I don't see why not actually, using your lungs, the only limit would be how long you can do it until you pass out.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
The beep on my remote unlock went away. I miss it. Followed the instructions in the manual to restore it but no dice. Everything else in the car seems to be working so I'm guessing it's not a fuse. Any ideas?

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

blk posted:

The beep on my remote unlock went away. I miss it. Followed the instructions in the manual to restore it but no dice. Everything else in the car seems to be working so I'm guessing it's not a fuse. Any ideas?

Beeper is dicked. It's a little plastic rectangular piece next to your horn, mine is bad too.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
So, uh, what's the go-to for skid plates? Primitive? I banged up the front subframe today and by some miracle didn't smash in the oil pan. :ohdear:

si
Apr 26, 2004
Primitive or any rally/offroad prep shop can probably cut you one for the same price.

Have to plug him because he's a friend and say check out Gorilla Offroad too - combo lightbar/skidplate setups are nice.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I've had a bunch of Primitive skid plates. No complaints, will buy again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Good to know. Thanks, guys!