Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Alteisen posted:

What gear? Maybe druid is just a bad fit with a condi build.

2 carrion, 3 beserker, 1 rampager. Just threw on the carrion pieces to get a bit more vitality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.

Your Computer posted:

I just spent a couple of hours in the jungle doing events on my Rev and all I got was 300k exp. Out of 1 million. At level 3. I knew it was bad, but drat :stare: How on earth are people already level 20+? Do the events grant more exp in the later maps?

Mastery level counts points committed, not tiers completed (e.g. completing a 5 point mastery would put you from 10 to 15), and people have found creative ways to fill out the Pact Tyria masteries quickly.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Hey guys! Good HP training earlier today. I also figured out how to get that HP south of the Eastwatch WP in Auric after we disbanded (needs mushroom jumping).

FWIW, I have some sort of mental disease and have 13 alts with 100% MC, all of which I'm going to be running that train with, so you've got a couple weeks where you can get in on getting most of the HPs in Verdant Brink and Auric Basin in the evenings. The ones I ran today only needed gliding for about 90% of them, and the ones that needed mushrooms or exalted markings had mesmers to port people past those obstacles.

I can tell you for sure that once you get the first rank in all the Maguuma masteries, it's much much faster to just run in a train to get HPs than when you're just starting out in HoT.

Also, Chronomancer owns owns owns.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Blackout drunk Norn story best personal story

Kitty Fantastico
Nov 26, 2005

ijyt posted:

This just convinced me to use my last slot for a female human mesmer, goddamn.

Speaking of, what's the best personal story apart for the circus?

There go my gems and oh my god the weapons

http://dulfy.net/2015/10/25/gw2-upcoming-gemstore-items-from-hot-patch/

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Adhesive Gamin posted:

Mastery level counts points committed, not tiers completed (e.g. completing a 5 point mastery would put you from 10 to 15), and people have found creative ways to fill out the Pact Tyria masteries quickly.

Oh, that makes more sense then.

In unrelated news, I just got my preorder character slot:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Schpyder posted:

Also, Chronomancer owns owns owns.

not emptyquoting

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'm also a fan of the Strength Norn story, and the Infinity Ball Asura story. Infinity Ball I'd say has the best climax episode, but all the buildup episodes are totes dull.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I really wish I had spent more time in the betas trying out all the different classes. Now I am not sure on what to play and the elite specs are gated behind some poo poo. People are loving the chronomancer but I didn't play it and very few people stream it.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Eltoasto posted:

I really wish I had spent more time in the betas trying out all the different classes. Now I am not sure on what to play and the elite specs are gated behind some poo poo. People are loving the chronomancer but I didn't play it and very few people stream it.

You could just try 'em out in PvP, that's what I'm doing :v:

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Your Computer posted:

You could just try 'em out in PvP, that's what I'm doing :v:

I tried that with Revenant, and decided the art style is just too emo for me. Feels like I should cut myself and listen to Linkin Park on cooldowns.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Eltoasto posted:

Chronomancer is really good thanks to the reduction to the damage that phantasms take. They're pretty close to invincible now so phantasm builds are great for boss fights. Shatter is good as well thanks to the alacrity and crit chance you get from the chronomancer line, but you need to have a good many traits before it becomes useful. The shatter build is really active though, maybe on par with daredevil in terms of actiony goodness. I don't know what else you were considering but it's not a bad choice. You also get the fifth shatter right away.

desudrive
Jan 10, 2010

Destroy All Memes

A pubbie while CoF farming.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Alt guild chat rules

"it's like the human centipede of guild chat" -some gross person in SFD mumble

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

but why

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Welp... I hope those blue dragonfly wings are there otherwise I most likely am going to blow my gems on some weapons :x

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Patching at a blistering 1 kb/s.

Edit: It's up to 20 kb/s now.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Daredevil is super good. Staff is great and it makes S/P and shortbow even better sets. Staff is also great but it lacks the CC of S/P. The blind is really useful though.

ItBurns fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Oct 26, 2015

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
The only "staff" thieves need is the people answering phones at Suicide Hotline

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

mike12345 posted:

I tried that with Revenant, and decided the art style is just too emo for me. Feels like I should cut myself and listen to Linkin Park on cooldowns.

While you as a goon should be doing this already, the only Revenant stance that's close to that aesthetic is grim, dark, grimdark, Legendary Dark Grim Demon Mallyx.

Herald is bright and flashy colors, Jalis is neon blue and Guardian-y, Ventari is wait what's that's tablet thing, did the mob summon it?, and Shiro is super anime assassin ninja green.

All the base weaponskills are white/gray/black/sometimes a little red.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

Kerrrrrrr posted:

I got this bitchin' new skull bow and updated my outfit to match.

I need this bow for my grimdark skull charr. Where did you acquire it?

Flytitle
Nov 12, 2012

Azazell0 posted:

My guild tried to reclaim the Guild Hall, but it might've been a situation where there was too many of us, since we got over 10 maws and a stupid load of adds with them. So it might actually be better with less people?

Doing the claiming of guildhalls scales awfully over about 40-50 or so, at the current tuning. 70 players was "die, respawn, run back to the mob, die again" every three minutes for my guild, wheras 40-50 (we'd tried for long enough that some folks wandered off after a few tries) was just death in the enclosed areas before the mobs were cleared because of the sorta-psychedelic AOE spam. So yeah, pretty sure upscale is a Thing with the claiming process.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Chronomancer is definitely the best elite spec. It's just so complete and it fits into Mesmer so nicely.

I wish I felt motivated to finish unlocking it now though :smith:

PseudoFaux
Oct 9, 2012

Flytitle posted:

Doing the claiming of guildhalls scales awfully over about 40-50 or so, at the current tuning. 70 players was "die, respawn, run back to the mob, die again" every three minutes for my guild, wheras 40-50 (we'd tried for long enough that some folks wandered off after a few tries) was just death in the enclosed areas before the mobs were cleared because of the sorta-psychedelic AOE spam. So yeah, pretty sure upscale is a Thing with the claiming process.

That'd explain why a bunch of nerds managed to do it with 0 coordination beyond "These colors go here, and you stick with this color"

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Harrow posted:

Chronomancer is definitely the best elite spec. It's just so complete and it fits into Mesmer so nicely.

I wish I felt motivated to finish unlocking it now though :smith:
I know mastery grinding sucks but my advice to everyone would be to work on Bouncing Mushrooms, Exalted Markings and Gliding through to Updrafts first simply because they allow you to explore the maps which are gorgeous. Those masteries will also allow you to get to nearly all of the points that require groups to do so you'll be able to help out with the hero point trains (or even lead them, Dulfy is starting to put guides for the maps up on her site). If there isn't one running, say something in guild chat as there will always be people who want to join one and there's nothing stopping you running them yourself :). Also, as far as I can see, nearly all of the hero points that are hard gated by stuff like Poison Mastery and Ley-Line Gliding don't seem to require a group to do so don't worry about those ones when doing group stuff.

I'll be honest though, as efficient as the hero point trains were I actually think I preferred running around with 2-3 other people exploring stuff and doing challenges as we found them.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mercurius posted:

I'll be honest though, as efficient as the hero point trains were I actually think I preferred running around with 2-3 other people exploring stuff and doing challenges as we found them.

That's what I'd much prefer to do, but I really want Chronomancer fully unlocked as soon as possible. At least I had world completion to give me a head start and I have it in an almost usable condition right now, but I still only have the first column of major traits.

I think that's why I'm so upset about how many hero points elite specs require. I'd love to just run around and explore and have fun, but I feel this pressure to unlock Chronomancer ASAP because I'm so excited about it. It's a tension I don't find fun, but I'm sure I'll get over it eventually.

Gliding is really fun, though. I love that I can basically fall from any height I like as long as I tap the space bar before I land.

High House Death
Jun 18, 2011
Why is it that this game patches so drat slowly, holy poo poo.

Cobra-Commander
Jun 15, 2015

Eltoasto posted:

You can play each elite class in pvp, just go to the pvp lobby, and then select your pvp build.

OurLivesOnline
Nov 5, 2009

let's be friends

We did it, for glorious leader.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Dreggon made the world first guild hall jumping puzzle

e:

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Oct 26, 2015

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

How much do the special guild hall weapons cost? I really want the Shimmering Sword skin.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Kerrrrrrr posted:

2 carrion, 3 beserker, 1 rampager. Just threw on the carrion pieces to get a bit more vitality.

Interesting combo.

What runes you rockin

Azazell0 posted:

My guild tried to reclaim the Guild Hall, but it might've been a situation where there was too many of us, since we got over 10 maws and a stupid load of adds with them. So it might actually be better with less people?

Might be, my embr buds did it with like 8 people and the monsters you can summon with the powder and whistles

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Hi Goons! There was a LOAD of confusion with the new guild missions system tonight, so I'm going to explain how it all works.

The guild can select whether it wants a preference of PvE, WvW, or PvP missions, or no preference at all (which gets you extra favor). We're mostly a PvE guild, so that's what we're focusing on. ANYWAY. If you open the guild panel and go to the missions tab, this is what you'll see:

There are three tiers of mission difficulty, each of which have a single mission rolled for it each week. In our case, we rolled an easy bounty (random, but easy, we got Poobadoo), a medium challenge (Quaggan rescue), and a hard challenge (Southsun Crab Toss). The rolls for each slot are RANDOM for both mission type and the specific mission, but will always be of the appropriate difficulty. So you can expect to see, say, Scratch Sentry Defense as an option in the easy slot, or Crab Rush in the hard spot. Once the roll is made at reset (sometime on Sunday, not sure when, it was before server reset), the missions are fixed for the week, and can be restarted at will by an officer with appropriate permissions. Just click "launch mission" on the bottom and the mission goes live.

The locked slots under each difficulty unlock at different guild levels. I don't know whether you can get more personal rewards by running all of them, or if it just gives you more choice of what to run. I expect it's the latter. There are also permanent PvE/WvW/PvP slots that can be purchased from the guild hall vendors. These SHOULD give more rewards, being different tiers entirely. I'm not sure if favor rewards are repeatable, but I expect not, and there's a weekly favor cap anyway.

Once all that is done, and you go to a non-bounty mission, EVERYONE NEEDS TO INTERACT WITH THE MISSION MARKER. This puts everyone in an instance for the mission, and once there, it can be started by talking to the Guild Initiative Rep. Yes, everyone needs to touch the thing, but only to get into the instance. Bounty takes place in the open world just like always, and should NOT be touched until everyone is ready. It's less of a disaster if you do, though, since guilds don't need to build missions anymore, and they can be restarted really easily!

Rewards are similar but not quite the same. Easy gives a rare, some resonating silver, 50s, and 1 comm. Medium gives 1 or 2 rares (I forget), some resonating silver, 50s, and 1 comm. Hard gives 2 rares, some resonating silver, 50s, and 2 comms. So at the start, we're now limited to 4 comms per week, but that may go up.

Well, hopefully that explains the new less-random-but-still-random missions!

Schpyder fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Oct 26, 2015

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Alteisen posted:

Might be, my embr buds did it with like 8 people and the monsters you can summon with the powder and whistles

I expect the GOON hall expedition Friday is going to be an ENORMOUS clusterfuck but really, if it was anything else I'd be disappointed

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Schpyder posted:

Yes, everyone needs to touch the thing,
hosed up imo

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

I haven't made it halfway through the first zone yet. I log in, walk in a random direction because hell if I know what all these new map icons are (that one's a building, this one looks like a man taking his padlock out for a walk, what do they mean?). Then some ankle biter mini-mobs turn me into a fine paste. So I go back and take it slower and try to kill my way carefully through things. Then some mushroom dudes that apparently have the power to spam endless death zones all over the ground and chain pull me into them more times than I can handle even with all my dodges and dodge-like skills kill me again. At this point I usually say 'gently caress this' and go play another game. How do I make the pain stop, goons?

Also I get that masteries are a thing you have to unlock with points, but the game is not doing me any favors as far as explaining how they work. It tells me I have so many central Tyria points, presumably from old world completion stuff I did a year or two ago, but it doesn't tell me how to spend those points on anything. My old saved hero points gave me enough to get about halfway through my elite spec, which is neat I guess. I'm still kind of sad that ele got a boring rear end warhorn of all things.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
Have you met the stealthing frogs that take you down in seconds yet? They're the best. Especially when you are doing an event with a whopping three people and it thinks the proper scaling is to spawn an elite and two veteran frogs.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

BobTheJanitor posted:

Also I get that masteries are a thing you have to unlock with points, but the game is not doing me any favors as far as explaining how they work. It tells me I have so many central Tyria points, presumably from old world completion stuff I did a year or two ago, but it doesn't tell me how to spend those points on anything. My old saved hero points gave me enough to get about halfway through my elite spec, which is neat I guess. I'm still kind of sad that ele got a boring rear end warhorn of all things.

You have a bar, that fills up with exp. Once it fills up, you can activate it with your mastery points. This lets you gain the bonus for that level of track. You can't use either without the other, and one is governed by map exploration and achievements, the other by cat genocide event and crafting experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
PRINCESSING HOT EDITION!

Var Steele, Char Engineer.

Please do not stare at the floating shoulder.

Tea time with friends!

The perfect Catnap spot.

Xeyan, Salad Necromancer

Not the best screenshot, but the best I had.

Vas Reverati, Norn Revenant.

I really like how my "edgy spikey" look ended up turning out. :haw:

Dramatic Posing!

More Dramatic Posing!

Even More Dramatic Posing!

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Oct 26, 2015

• Locked thread