Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
If anyone is having trouble try picking a different character. Here's a quick tier list I made:

S+: Dwarf, Soldier
S: Lina, Van Helsing
A: Barkeep, Stage Coach Driver
B: Guys that died instead of blowing the horn
C: Krillin
C-: Kerillian

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

TheLawinator posted:

2% movement speed might be just enough to outrun some rats. Could be nice.

It's not.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

So I just started this game and I guess I'm playing as a witch hunter. Which weapon should I use? I tried single player and got overwhelmed pretty quickly (on normal... I suck).

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I know it might be early, but have the dev said anything about a Mac version?

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
People saying the WH axe is no good need to try out higher rarity versions of it. The damage on it is enough to where you can 1shot normal rats, you can't sweep entire groups with it but if you can time your dodges and pushes you can easily cut through groups thanks to 1 hit anywhere from the axe = dead rat. It also absolutely murderizes stormvermin, had a game with pubbies where they had triggered a patrol and were getting schooled, came up behind them and started chopping them down with the overhead, 1 minute later I had killed 6 stormvermin, literally the entire patrol.

As far as playing with pubbies, my recommendation is to not be afraid to drop from a group after the match ends if you didn't like playing with them, and keep rolling the group dice until you wind up with decent pubs. Once you get in that group that works as a team and watches each others backs you are usually set for a few maps and the game becomes instantly more fun and less frustrating. You also get cool moments more often, like the time an elf and I (wh) were literally standing back to back doing that movie BS where each of us is killing all the horde on our side and preventing the other person from getting stabbed in the back.

One thing I definitely think all new players should know about is that you can press T to highlight and call out special rats and items that you find. This is so supremely useful that I'm surprised they don't bind this to shift key.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Just had some good games with pubs, which was shocking. Accidentally pulled a stormvermin patrol in the middle of a horde and they were dead in about 10 seconds from ranged fire.

Holy poo poo they need to step up those stormvermins

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all

Pitdragon posted:

One thing I definitely think all new players should know about is that you can press T to highlight and call out special rats and items that you find. This is so supremely useful that I'm surprised they don't bind this to shift key.

New? poo poo, I'm level 12 and I didn't know that.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

dogstile posted:

Just had some good games with pubs, which was shocking. Accidentally pulled a stormvermin patrol in the middle of a horde and they were dead in about 10 seconds from ranged fire.

Holy poo poo they need to step up those stormvermins

Patch 1.0.2 Notes:

-Increased Stormvermin health
-Changed Stormvermin animations (more head sway)
-Fixed bug that was reducing number of Stormvermin spawns on the Wheat and Chaff level.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Chomp8645 posted:

Patch 1.0.2 Notes:

-Fixed bug that was reducing number of Stormvermin spawns on the Wheat and Chaff level.

I goddamn hope so

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Chomp8645 posted:

Patch 1.0.2 Notes:

"Man, Stormvermin are just too weak, better make them way harder"

These devs have balls

Somewhat related, I think I have been underestimating some of the weapons because I have a hell of a time actually landing headshots and think I have actually been hitting their chests like a scrub.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Bright Wizard seems lacking on nightmare. She's fantastic on hard where the fireball staff can spam piercing projectiles with large hitboxes that one-shot rats, and she can really clear some space with right click spam. But then you get to nightmare and the left click no longer one-shots trash, making it kinda poo poo. You're the most ranged-focused class on a difficulty where ranged attacks deal friendly fire. The fireball itself is a fantastic way to repeatedly damage to your teammates, in particular. Higher enemy health also means that you need to spend significantly more heat to kill anything, which is a mechanic that other classes don't have to deal with.

You can switch over to the conflag or beam staves to get some enemy-only AoE going, but they have pretty pathetic damage output and the beam staff's beam is absolutely horrible.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
those patch notes are fake fyi, since some folks seem to be unclear on that

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Pitdragon posted:

Any idea what this is bound to? I don't use default keys.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

DreamShipWrecked posted:

"Man, Stormvermin are just too weak, better make them way harder"

They are actually pretty easy to take down. I've been exclusively playing the Dorf, and honestly I can take them down solo with the starter axe/board without a hassle. Fortunately, I got my hands on my first green weapon for the dwarf - a two handed hammer with "perfect balance". Its nice, I can actually sort of tank with it. But with Stormvermin, I can just stagger it with headshots over and over until they die :getin:

Coolguye posted:

those patch notes are fake fyi, since some folks seem to be unclear on that

Stormvermin are still chumps :colbert:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Stringbean posted:

They are actually pretty easy to take down. I've been exclusively playing the Dorf, and honestly I can take them down solo with the starter axe/board without a hassle. Fortunately, I got my hands on my first green weapon for the dwarf - a two handed hammer with "perfect balance". Its nice, I can actually sort of tank with it. But with Stormvermin, I can just stagger it with headshots over and over until they die :getin:

One stormvermin by itself is a cakewalk. One in a horde or six of them at once is not as much.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Stringbean posted:

If you're fighting them 1v1, presumably on one of the lower difficulties, with what is possibly the best weapon set in the entire game for killing Stormvermin, yes. They are pretty easy.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

ROgres doing a shockwave attack with one fist is the reason why I have trust issues.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

victrix posted:

Any idea what this is bound to? I don't use default keys.

The binding is listed as 'ping' in the options if that's what you're asking.

Kryopsis
Jun 30, 2012

Shapes and colours the likes of which I've never seen!
After playing a bunch as the Witch Hunter, I'm honestly confused about his use. The elf can do pretty much anything the Witch Hunter can do but better. Her twin blade lawnmower of death is a lot better than the Hunter's rapier. The longbow has far more ammunition than the crossbow, despite also having a fairly accurate quickfire mode and the same foe-piercing multikill mechanic. While the Witch Hunter can unload his pistol bandoleer into a Rat-Ogre, that basically uses up the entire ammo pool and both the Soldier and Dwarf can do more or less the same thing while having a far more useful primary set of weapons. Basically there is no role the Hunter exceeds at and as a jack-of-all-trades, he doesn't have as many weapon choices as the Dwarf.

I don't mean to sound negative, this game owns bones and I'm having fun playing pretty much any of the characters except Bright Wizard (not my thing). It's just that the Witch Hunter doesn't seem to have a purpose.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Six storm vermin in the middle of fighting a rat ogre on Wheat and Chaff. I'm not really sure what we're supposed to do about that.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
playing without a set group of 4 people is loving awful

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Kryopsis posted:

After playing a bunch as the Witch Hunter, I'm honestly confused about his use. The elf can do pretty much anything the Witch Hunter can do but better. Her twin blade lawnmower of death is a lot better than the Hunter's rapier. The longbow has far more ammunition than the crossbow, despite also having a fairly accurate quickfire mode and the same foe-piercing multikill mechanic. While the Witch Hunter can unload his pistol bandoleer into a Rat-Ogre, that basically uses up the entire ammo pool and both the Soldier and Dwarf can do more or less the same thing while having a far more useful primary set of weapons. Basically there is no role the Hunter exceeds at and as a jack-of-all-trades, he doesn't have as many weapon choices as the Dwarf.

I don't mean to sound negative, this game owns bones and I'm having fun playing pretty much any of the characters except Bright Wizard (not my thing). It's just that the Witch Hunter doesn't seem to have a purpose.

The witch hunter can fight at every range against every enemy type without trouble. He's a jack of all trades but you don't need to super specialize in this. Quick attacks are just as effective as a shield to fend off a horde and you can oneshot stormvermin with the rapier thrust. I think he's far better in melee than the elf because he can go on the defensive too.

Plus you get a cool hat.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I have not gotten a single loving rapier in 20 hours of play. It's my favorite weapon, game, throw me a bone. :negative:

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
I really want a brace of pistols that has the +ammo trait and/or the one that makes you have a chance to regain ammo on kills and just shoot everything

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
The Witch Hunter's purpose is a) to be useful in any situation and b) being an awesome grumpy old man. :colbert:

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Insert name here posted:

I really want a brace of pistols that has the +ammo trait and/or the one that makes you have a chance to regain ammo on kills and just shoot everything

Chance to regain ammo actually means "Change to get one bullet" It's a real letdown.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Rankings of vital roles Imogen

1 dorf
2 elf
3 empire
4 WH
5 BW

However, the last three can be easily switched out. You know the Elf is bad when the player can't break 300 kills with her on a grim/time mission. Dorf bad players seem to soak up damage taken, so a good dorf should have the least dmg taken.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Would just like to credit the King of All Dwarves in our party tonight, whose Heroic Killing Blow Axe I got to witness one-shot at least one or two Rat Ogres tonight.

Now I would like to find a similar weapon with Heroic Killing Blow.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

randombattle posted:

Chance to regain ammo actually means "Change to get one bullet" It's a real letdown.

They should really buff this up. Elf and witch hunter come into their own if parked by a ammo crate. I know they want it to be more melee centric but the ammo trait should be closer to how useful the health is.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
I was playing some games last night trying to focus on my Soldier defensive tactics playing sword and board. Mostly holding the line, drawing heaps of aggro and being very defensive, thanks to my sword/shield with a chance to regain health on kill. I learned three things.

First, if you kill enough rats in a short period (eg hacking away in a choke point) the bloom effect from the healing can really, really obscure your vision.

Second, the arquebus has spoiled me to the point where I can't play with the coach gun or the repeater despite having green/blue ones of those I stick with my white arquebus. The ability to quick switch, one shot a special, and then go back to sword and board is too valuable.

Finally when the game ended despite my focus on defence, aggro draw and holding the line I still ended up with the most rat kills. :suicide:

The pubbie roll is even more heartbreaking than the loot roll.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Hypha posted:

They should really buff this up. Elf and witch hunter come into their own if parked by a ammo crate. I know they want it to be more melee centric but the ammo trait should be closer to how useful the health is.

It's super useful if you have a weapon that's single shot with a small pool of ammo like a crossbow. The problem is that it isn't percent based or anything it's always just one bullet.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

Vargs posted:

Bright Wizard seems lacking on nightmare. She's fantastic on hard where the fireball staff can spam piercing projectiles with large hitboxes that one-shot rats, and she can really clear some space with right click spam. But then you get to nightmare and the left click no longer one-shots trash, making it kinda poo poo. You're the most ranged-focused class on a difficulty where ranged attacks deal friendly fire. The fireball itself is a fantastic way to repeatedly damage to your teammates, in particular. Higher enemy health also means that you need to spend significantly more heat to kill anything, which is a mechanic that other classes don't have to deal with.

You can switch over to the conflag or beam staves to get some enemy-only AoE going, but they have pretty pathetic damage output and the beam staff's beam is absolutely horrible.

Part of why I'm branching out to more characters right now is because BW definitely feels handicapped on these higher difficulties. I'm just assuming higher tier staves etc will come with more heat reduction stuff.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I think a runner for "most useless weapon buff" has to be the "1-3% chance of healing 5% off a charged attack" on a 2 handed sword. Just swing and swing and swing and have it proc twice a level.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Does crouch serve any purpose?

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

victrix posted:

Lets people shoot over you, allows you to move through some small spaces.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

victrix posted:

In Nightmare/Cata, it allows people to shoot over you while you're slashing dudes in front. This is even true for the dwarf, he loses a few inches in a crouch and it's kind of important. For Kruber it's crucial, since he's tied with Saltzpyre as the tallest character in the game.

On Hard and below, no not really.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Night10194 posted:

I have not gotten a single loving rapier in 20 hours of play. It's my favorite weapon, game, throw me a bone. :negative:

You'll probably hate me because my very first blue (which I got 2 games ago) was a rapier. +stamina +Heal On Kill. I still don't have enough greens to activate the HOK though. But, hey, more damage, gold handguard and I can push more often!

Edit: The next round I got my second blue AND my first trinket! it was a...+4% movement speed trinket.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Have orange duel swords that have 3% chance to kill ANY shaven on charged attack. Just killed a rogre on first charge attack. Felt good.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Preview of the upcoming DLC where Kruber attempts to stop the destruction of the world by taking the fight to the chaos moon itself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

victrix posted:

Slightly tightens accuracy on your ranged weapons, which is mostly relevant if you're trying to be accurate with something you can't aim with (mostly Saltzpyre's brace of pistols)

Hang on, fixing this.

Here we go, much better.

President Ark fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Oct 26, 2015

• Locked thread