Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

LLSix posted:

What should my first idea as Poland be?

I'm hoping to expand SE towards India primarily and clean up my Baltic borders during downtime. Muscovy got smart and lucky enough to take the hordes apart one by one so I'm not real eager to fight with them. I'm thinking of maybe jumping them when they finally attack Novgorod since they're allied to Hungary and its the only way to get to fight Hungary without also fighting all of Western Europe.

I'm torn between admin, religious/humanist, or maaaybe influence for the boost to income from Lithuania.

I feel that Influence -> Admin is a great start as Poland. You will have a ton of diplo points at the start with the 4 diplo king and Influence is great all game long. After that my play style would be to keep an eye on choices like Humanist for fancy +3 tolerance of everything and separatism / idea cost, and fill out military techs like offensive and quality to further make your murder troops ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

YF-23 posted:

Consider Innovative as well. I would suggest looking at it and religious; since you have a PU going you legitimately need to look after your prestige and make sure it doesn't go in the negatives, so the prestige decay/per year bonii go from a nice thing to have to legitimately useful.

Have you seriously had prestige issues as Poland in a post CS game? I find advice like this odd because it is totally at odds with my experience, but that's why I ask.

Since you don't have any other pressing need in the admin slot why not restart until you get a +1 prestige advisor? You should also be winning a lot of wars using Mazovia / Lit / Moldavia as a cudgel, which should generate quite a bit of prestige.

Do you use the 'revoke claims' option during peace deals? That's free prestige for no diplo points, just war score.

Seems hard to imagine ever having to pick innovative to maintain the PU while doing the above.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

LLSix posted:

Ok I was actually thinking about this more and influence as a first or second idea isn't that bad. It does potentially beat out any other diplo ideas, and at the start I usually save admin point to put into tech so I can get to the idea unlocks. So yeah, if you have the spare points for a diplo idea then go ahead for influence, but I still think religious is your best starting admin tree idea group. I am often low on diplo points because I am annexing tiny countries left and right so my diplo tech lags behind. Maybe you won't have this problem. Bottom line for charging into SE Asia the religious idea group is the best.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Minarchist posted:

So I did a thing.

How the hell do I dismantle the HRE now? I didn't want to be elected emperor! :saddowns:

I did a hard save and cheated a ton of imperial authority all the way to Renovatio Imperii and a consolidated HRE but that's just a name, flag and map color change for all I care. I just want to get rid of it for good.

Do I have to release 7 electors who will hate me and a ton of other nations that will hate me and reconquer them all more carefully this time? I *can* do it but I really don't want to.

You can't dismantle the Empire if you are the Emperor. So you'd have to release 7 electors, then get somebody else elected as Emperor. Which if you passed the Hereditary Rule reform means you'll need to concede Repeal Imperial Reform a bunch of times to people you 100% in wars.

Or possibly find some way to flip to a Republic. If there is no eligible Emperor, the Empire disbands automatically.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

LLSix posted:

I'm hoping to expand SE towards India primarily and clean up my Baltic borders during downtime. Muscovy got smart and lucky enough to take the hordes apart one by one so I'm not real eager to fight with them. I'm thinking of maybe jumping them when they finally attack Novgorod since they're allied to Hungary and its the only way to get to fight Hungary without also fighting all of Western Europe.

I'm torn between admin, religious/humanist, or maaaybe influence for the boost to income from Lithuania.

That sounds about right to me. I can't even consistently get a Byz game going. Arumba has a whole video series as the knights, you could try cribbing ideas from that. One thing that might help is that Austria only rivals Venice about half the time at the start. It shouldn't take too many restarts to get one where Austria doesn't rival Venice but the PLC does rival Ottomans.

Make sure you keep an eye on what ideas Lithuania takes, if you plan on giving them a ton of land then clicking the Commonwealth button then make sure you have a plan if they took Humanist and the RR skyrockets once you take over. They also get a lot of tolerance and -unrest national ideas and they probably won't bother to convert any land you give them, so have a plan for that too. Commonwealth doesn't get any tolerance or -unrest until you unlock their ambition, and even then it's only 3 tolerance for heretics. If you're going to Asia, then you'll have a bunch of heathen land with the Islamic penalty to conversion and no -revolt risk at all. Plus, if you do it right then the Deus Vult CB will be a huge help down there. So I'd say go Religious.

Plus, if you're going to click the Commonwealth button, then you probably don't have to worry about Admin ideas, at least in the short term.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
Came back to EU4 after a long hiatus, played an easy game as Muscovy where me and Austria double-prong attacked the Commonwealth into oblivion and I took off to the east unopposed.

I'm looking to play a game where I form Germany, that was my biggest accomplishment in EU3 and I'd like to relive the glory. What's a fun nation to do it as?

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

PittTheElder posted:

You can't dismantle the Empire if you are the Emperor. So you'd have to release 7 electors, then get somebody else elected as Emperor. Which if you passed the Hereditary Rule reform means you'll need to concede Repeal Imperial Reform a bunch of times to people you 100% in wars.

Or possibly find some way to flip to a Republic. If there is no eligible Emperor, the Empire disbands automatically.

If the empire is hereditary then a republic can be emperor.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

John Wilkes Booth posted:

Came back to EU4 after a long hiatus, played an easy game as Muscovy where me and Austria double-prong attacked the Commonwealth into oblivion and I took off to the east unopposed.

I'm looking to play a game where I form Germany, that was my biggest accomplishment in EU3 and I'd like to relive the glory. What's a fun nation to do it as?

Brandenburg -> Prussia -> Germany is the usual one; you start as a scrappy little barely-regional power and grow into an army of cyborgs running rampant across Europe.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Nuremberg is fun too, but it's obviously a bit slower at the start.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Arrhythmia posted:

Brandenburg -> Prussia -> Germany is the usual one; you start as a scrappy little barely-regional power and grow into an army of cyborgs running rampant across Europe.

I started this one up last week. It's 1515 and megaBohemia has smashed my most faithful ally, Poland, into dust, is the emperor, has vassalised TO and just declared war on me.

Why is it the biggest I've ever seen Bohemia get, it's in a game where I'm trying to form Prussia :(

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
The Hansa can be pretty fun too for Germany starts. I think you can still form Prussia as them too, which is kinda fun as a Merchant Republic.

The recent Poland chat a couple pages back got me hankering to play them, one of my favorite starts. 30 years in, I have a Hohenzollern king and PU Brandenburg which was contested by Saxony alone who I vassalized in the succession war without pissing off the HRE too much. This should be interesting... :getin:

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I would love to have a 3/5/3 king. How do I accept the pretender's demands?

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

LLSix posted:

You don't. They need occupy your captial for 12 months or more then 50% of your country to enforce their demands.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Rakthar posted:

Have you seriously had prestige issues as Poland in a post CS game? I find advice like this odd because it is totally at odds with my experience, but that's why I ask.

Since you don't have any other pressing need in the admin slot why not restart until you get a +1 prestige advisor? You should also be winning a lot of wars using Mazovia / Lit / Moldavia as a cudgel, which should generate quite a bit of prestige.

Do you use the 'revoke claims' option during peace deals? That's free prestige for no diplo points, just war score.

Seems hard to imagine ever having to pick innovative to maintain the PU while doing the above.

I'm not saying that getting a prestige bonus is what makes or breaks a Poland run, I'm saying that, in a Poland run where you have to maintain a PU, prestige turns from a value that you just don't have to care about even if it's -50 to one that you have to actually watch out for and avoid being reckless with it. Events where you get a choice between giving up, say, monarch points or prestige become less obvious. You won't only want to avoid being at negative prestige, you'll also be wanting to avoid being in the low positives exactly in order to have a safety net.

You can get prestige in a lot of other places than ideas, but if a war turns badly you might end up trying to pull yourself up before the guy on the throne bites it.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
Say I'm the most powerful single nation, but up against the axis of evil (France, Holy Roman Emperor, most of Italy, Lithuania), and my allies (who are the best of the rest in Europe) get crushed the moment I declare war. What's the best way to deal with the situation so that I can get a working offensive going? Assuming I'm not experienced enough to prevent this before it happens.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Redmark posted:

Say I'm the most powerful single nation, but up against the axis of evil (France, Holy Roman Emperor, most of Italy, Lithuania), and my allies (who are the best of the rest in Europe) get crushed the moment I declare war. What's the best way to deal with the situation so that I can get a working offensive going? Assuming I'm not experienced enough to prevent this before it happens.

Simplest thing would be to declare war on a third party allied to only one or two of your enemies so that you do not have to deal with the entire alliance network at once.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Redmark posted:

It's really hard to comment with that amount of information since EU4 is such a dynamic game. Can you at least post a screenshot?

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013

Node posted:

It's really hard to comment with that amount of information since EU4 is such a dynamic game. Can you at least post a screenshot?

Sure, but I don't know how to get a clean screenshot with everything relevant.

The light blue next to France is Sardinia-Piedmont. I'm allied to them, Poland, and Hungary, but Hungary isn't willing to fight offensive wars. Great Britain and Ottomans are rivals. Bohemia is emperor and papal controller. Most of the Americans is under my colonial nations.

YF-23 posted:

Simplest thing would be to declare war on a third party allied to only one or two of your enemies so that you do not have to deal with the entire alliance network at once.

Yeah, I guess that makes sense. I was overly focused on attacking France since I didn't want to have to ferry troops around (and they had the last two islands in the Caribbeans :argh:)

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
!! Did you get S-P to form on its own? You've already won the game.

Sometimes to break up alliances you simply have to wait until somebody gets embroiled in a war and won't join the defense when you declare war. You can also try changing your rivals to get alliances. But don't get GB to be one of your allies, they're terrible.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

LLSix posted:

Mothball all your fortresses. :getin:

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013

Node posted:

!! Did you get S-P to form on its own? You've already won the game.

Sometimes to break up alliances you simply have to wait until somebody gets embroiled in a war and won't join the defense when you declare war. You can also try changing your rivals to get alliances. But don't get GB to be one of your allies, they're terrible.

No, it just happened on its own (much like everything else in Europe, since surprisingly no one other than France bothered to really pressure me so I just hosed around in Iberia and the New World).
What's the significance of S-P? I know they formed Italy in real history but they're, uh, not doing too hot right now. Stuck between a rock and a hard place.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Sardinia Piedmont is known for being the best color.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

LLSix posted:

Note that if Pretenders enforce their demands, I think they'll break your union with Lithuania. Certainly if Lithuanian pretenders do so it breaks the Union.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Redmark posted:

No, it just happened on its own (much like everything else in Europe, since surprisingly no one other than France bothered to really pressure me so I just hosed around in Iberia and the New World).
What's the significance of S-P? I know they formed Italy in real history but they're, uh, not doing too hot right now. Stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Sardinia-Piedmont buddy!

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

So I had never formed Italy before so I thought to myself "just pick an Italian country and run with it" then once I had all of Italy, I noticed that I didn't have a decision to form it. Apparently the pope isn't Italian enough on his fancy chair in Rome to be able to form Italy. So I decided to form the Kingdom of God and crush the Ottomans and I did that while feeding an enormous Tripoli but now I really don't have anything else to bother doing. I cant' get the achievement for the 3 marches because TO formed Prussia and there are no more TO cores to reform them from. I think I'm stuck at just blobbing out or abandoning this run for a game where I can actually form Italy.

Poll: tell me who to use to form Italy with! Just in case I do decide to abandon this one and start again.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
If you do Lucca not only can you cover the map in neon green you can also knock out an achievement at the same time.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

deathbagel posted:

So I had never formed Italy before so I thought to myself "just pick an Italian country and run with it" then once I had all of Italy, I noticed that I didn't have a decision to form it. Apparently the pope isn't Italian enough on his fancy chair in Rome to be able to form Italy. So I decided to form the Kingdom of God and crush the Ottomans and I did that while feeding an enormous Tripoli but now I really don't have anything else to bother doing. I cant' get the achievement for the 3 marches because TO formed Prussia and there are no more TO cores to reform them from. I think I'm stuck at just blobbing out or abandoning this run for a game where I can actually form Italy.

Poll: tell me who to use to form Italy with! Just in case I do decide to abandon this one and start again.

I've mentioned it before in this thread, Genoa is probably the most fun Mediterranean nation to play. You get missions to conquer every single center of trade in the med, once you tidy up the Genoa node you can just steal all the money the colonist AI is trying to bring into Europe. Then you can go east and get income from Alexandria -> Aden -> India and literally break the concept of money over your knee.

Also fun achievements to get along the way like All Your Trade or Subsidize my Love

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012
So three questions:

1. Any good nations to pretty much go on a full crusade? Not concerned about the religion, I'm just talking spreading it as far as I can. Japan obviously is the only option for Shinto, but anyone else for the other religions?

2. The old thread is too old for me to find. Does anyone remember a multiplayer game that I'm pretty sure Wiz was in where everyone was a Muslim country? They posted pics of their colonial holdings and had nations like Caliphornia and Al-Aska. It was funny and I wanna show people. Still kicking myself for not saving those pictures.

3. Was there ever a thread on the paradox forums dedicated to interesting custom nations? Things like Vinland or the Kingdom of Prestor John, with their rough location and maybe even some ideas put together?
I tried finding something like that on the wiki and forums, but no such luck. :(

I did find this gem of a thread though with some paradoxforums.txt:

quote:

Hi everyone. I am not sure how long this post will last here and if and when I will be banned for this. Lets face it, free speach is the latest casulty of cour once great civilisation.
Paradox has fallen as the once great civilization. I remember when the economy was good under Johan. Now free forum speech is banned and I can't buy a loaf of bread anymore. Thanks Obama Wiz.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Dang. Attrition reduction is capped. Went to a bit of trouble to get 100% reduction, but it appears that it won't actually go lower than 20% effective.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

Strudel Man posted:

Dang. Attrition reduction is capped. Went to a bit of trouble to get 100% reduction, but it appears that it won't actually go lower than 20% effective.

You used to be able to get to 100% and it was silly. You'd just amass a 500 infantry stack and could instantly wipe almost all armies because of the 10 to 1 rule. Then it got a sanity cap like so many other modifiers.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Strudel Man posted:

Here is the video that explains why that's now the case:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM92NPfbd7I

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Rakthar posted:

Here is the video that explains why that's now the case:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM92NPfbd7I
Oh, the reasons are obvious enough. Just wanted to give it a shot.

DeeEmTee
Jan 29, 2005

Pellisworth posted:

The Hansa can be pretty fun too for Germany starts. I think you can still form Prussia as them too, which is kinda fun as a Merchant Republic.

The recent Poland chat a couple pages back got me hankering to play them, one of my favorite starts. 30 years in, I have a Hohenzollern king and PU Brandenburg which was contested by Saxony alone who I vassalized in the succession war without pissing off the HRE too much. This should be interesting... :getin:

One of the most fun games I've ever had in EU4 was starting as Hansa, culture shifting to Dutch and forming The Netherlands and then reforming into Prussia.

Ormi
Feb 7, 2005

B-E-H-A-V-E
Arrest us!
That video reminds me, is the Zaporozhian Host still going to start off integrated in Lithuania in The Cossacks? Weren't they functionally independent and autonomous up to the 18th century?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Ormi posted:

That video reminds me, is the Zaporozhian Host still going to start off integrated in Lithuania in The Cossacks? Weren't they functionally independent and autonomous up to the 18th century?

I imagine that they will just be a powerful Estate, that's kind of the point of the whole system.

John Wilkes Booth posted:

I like Hamburg a lot, you can release them from the Hansa, next patch they will start out independent!

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
What are the pro theodoro strats

Shayu
Feb 9, 2014
Five dollars for five words.

Eej posted:

Sardinia-Piedmont buddy!

Tfw no Sardinia-Piedmont to vassal feed

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Man, I forgot how annoying it is to be DotF. Even though my Sweden always defends its Reformed buddies with some 200K mercenaries, the AI still keeps declaring religious wars and getting stomped.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I'm convinced the AI doesn't consider the DotF or the Emperor's allies when declaring wars. The amount of times you see the Ottomans get wrecked in the early game by Austria, France, and Hungary because Crimea declared war on Genoa is really tough to explain otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Man, I forgot how annoying it is to be DotF. Even though my Sweden always defends its Reformed buddies with some 200K mercenaries, the AI still keeps declaring religious wars and getting stomped.

Sometimes it's awesome though. In my Pope playthrough, I had it because I needed to convert the Byzantine empire's 30 or so orthodox/sunni provinces quickly and got the call from Lithuania to defend against the Golden Horde, Crimea and Nogai. I had a stack of troops in Wallachia to smash rebels so I just sent them over to help Lithuania and when I looked to see which general I had assigned, it was the Pope himself!

It was a very inspiring moment in Papal history :hist101:

420 Gank Mid posted:

I've mentioned it before in this thread, Genoa is probably the most fun Mediterranean nation to play. You get missions to conquer every single center of trade in the med, once you tidy up the Genoa node you can just steal all the money the colonist AI is trying to bring into Europe. Then you can go east and get income from Alexandria -> Aden -> India and literally break the concept of money over your knee.

Also fun achievements to get along the way like All Your Trade or Subsidize my Love

For some reason, I completely overlooked the fact that Genoa can form Italy! It makes sense, considering Genoa is Italian and all, but I just assumed they couldn't! I'm totally doing this next, thanks!

• Locked thread