Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
It will never cease to amaze me how much power and influence these people attribute to such marginal people and organisations. Ah yes, Gawker media, that well-known titan of journalism. Backed up by the notorious blogging illuminati whose range and power borders on mind-control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Anticheese posted:

Well, that's the dumbest thing I've read in a while.

If blue-haired feminists controlled half the things mentioned in that word vomit he'd have starved to death in a camp by now :allears:

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
So the forces of cultural marxism control the de facto knowledge base of the internet, the entire education sector, the military and most popular media. The stalwart defenders of western civilization are offering dodged resistance in the fields of angry internet atheism as well as My Little Pony, with heavy fighting in the realm of video gaming.

Clearly, the SJWs are on their last legs. One good push will end it! Onwards to Berlin!

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Anticheese posted:

Well, that's the dumbest thing I've read in a while.

Glad to see Gamergaters claming victory and ownership over illustrious movements like bronies.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ArchangeI posted:

So the forces of cultural marxism control the de facto knowledge base of the internet, the entire education sector, the military and most popular media. The stalwart defenders of western civilization are offering dodged resistance in the fields of angry internet atheism as well as My Little Pony, with heavy fighting in the realm of video gaming.

Clearly, the SJWs are on their last legs. One good push will end it! Onwards to Berlin!

To the Urals, surely? :godwinning:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I love how completely seriously these shut-ins take the most trivial bullshit.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

divabot posted:

For lulz, here's a gamergater on the progress of the culture war.

Holy poo poo where can I sign up to be part of this 'SJW' vanguard? All I'm finding is angry, single, middle-class white guys who don't know what irony is

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Pope Guilty posted:

I love how completely seriously these shut-ins take the most trivial bullshit.

Unlike this thread, which definitely didn't just have a multi-page anime derail or anything.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

divabot posted:

For lulz, here's a gamergater on the progress of the culture war.

quote:

(I don't know enough about sports to compile a list of these incidents, but there are many.)

Wow who would have guessed :allears:

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

MRA/PUA/Enlightened STEM Sci(ent)ist posted:

Journalism - SJWs have conclusively won...
The more feasible solution is to set up and/or support competing publications willing to do genuine journalistic research and print news that debunk the false narrative, such as Breitbart, GotNews, InfoWars, and, yes, even the Daily Mail.

Something something ethics in white/male supremacy

MRA/PUA/Enlightened STEM Sci(ent)ist posted:

...support competing publications willing to do genuine journalistic research and print 'news' that debunk the false narrative ignores social scientists and journalistic research methods; such as Breitbart, GotNews, InfoWars, and, yes, even The Daily Mail.

As an editor at a college humor magazine, I helped in the struggle against vaginas.
We did it, good job! We brought ethics back to the 18th century.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

Something something ethics in white/male supremacy

As an editor at a college humor magazine, I helped in the struggle against vaginas.
We did it, good job! We brought ethics back to the 18th century.

Hahah I didn't notice that they consider loving InfoWars to be genuine high-quality journalism, that's amazing.

Kotaku did 9/11.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

The only problem I see here is that he doesn't call Puppies morons (which they are). He disagrees with you, so he must be a GGer? I don't really get what you're saying here.

Woolie Wool posted:

The art and works of beings aligned with evil in Tolkien's works, I think, displays many of the aesthetics that neoreactionaries like to indulge in--it's loud, it's unsubtle, it's pompous, it's huge and tries to overshadow and loom over everything around it, but it's also superficial, crude, and lacking in actual beauty or artistic value. The description of Melkor's counter-themes during the Ainundalë (Tolkien's creation myth; basically God and the angels create the world with music but Lucifer, not yet fully fallen, is jealous of God and tries to gently caress everything up) sounds like a very unfavorable description of the sorts of music nerds like to listen to (loud, bombastic, repetitive, trying to drown out Eru's own themes by being bigger and more impressive sounding). I just feel like, for all his faults, Tolkien would have seen nerd fascists for what they are and despised them even more than they worship him.

On the other hand the Ainundalë is basically about how Melkor really just wanted to have a bit of the Holy Spirit Flame Imperishable to create his own things but Eru won't share and Melkor basically loses his poo poo bit by bit until he becomes Fantasy Satan, so it's indeed an affirmation of hierarchy. :shrug:

The important thing is that LotR is a pagan universe, and not Christian - deviation from the cosmic balance is the ultimate evil. So it's a fundamentally conservative text.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Kotaku did 9/11.

I would like to offer you a job at Breitbart. We publish 'news'

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The only problem I see here is that he doesn't call Puppies morons (which they are). He disagrees with you, so he must be a GGer? I don't really get what you're saying here.

The sort of person who would buy into the appeal of the Puppy slates ("REAL Sci-Fi for REAL nerds! None of this wishy-washy feminist/SJW/clique crap!") is exactly the sort of person who would buy into the appeal of Gamergate ("REAL games for REAL nerds! None of this wishy-washy feminist/SJW/critique crap!").

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Buying into and subsequently evangelizing the frame of "the puppies were just a reasonable pushback against the clique of sjw/jewish/cultural marxist hugo awards voters" is fairly analogous to buying into and subsequently evangelizing the frame of "the gamergates were just a reasonable pushback against the clique of sjw/jewish/cultural marxist games criticism" yes.

It is ultimately a disagreement, yes.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
So because you think they might agree with someone's politics, they are therefore GGers? I thought this thread was for making fun of paranoid nerds.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

So because you think they might agree with someone's politics, they are therefore GGers? I thought this thread was for making fun of paranoid nerds.
I'm generally against labelling people as GamerGaters because the word is very dumb, but what about this is paranoid? Doesn't paranoia imply some kind of perceived threat?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
To continue the subject of Reactos getting their favorite authors wrong, Cthulhu is not even remotely a metaphor for social progressivism. If anything, he's a metaphor for the cold base indifference of the cosmos which can crush us without knowing it, something people like Nick Land like to align themselves with.

I mean, HP Lovecraft sure did hate minorities, as much or possibly more than your average reactionary, and liked to put them as members of cults in his stories but the villain in his stories was rarely social justice. The closest thing you might get is The Shadow Over Innsmouth and even then it's doubtful, other than being produced from a horror of misgenation.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I think Lovecraft wouldn't have been quite so good at creating that fear of raw unknown otherness in his monsters if he weren't so drat terrified of minorities and the yellow tide, but its not like he was doing that consciously or anything.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

The important thing is that LotR is a pagan universe, and not Christian - deviation from the cosmic balance is the ultimate evil.

There's room for interesting debate on this point. Tolkien did say that part of his purpose was to create an English mythology that wasn't entangled with Christianity the way the King Arthur stories were. On the other hand, I don't think the metaphyics of Middle-Earth can be fully separated from his own Catholicism.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Cingulate posted:

I'm generally against labelling people as GamerGaters because the word is very dumb, but what about this is paranoid? Doesn't paranoia imply some kind of perceived threat?

In general BravestOfTheLamps spends their time in this thread desperately defending the narrative that gamergate isn't the exact same brand of ideologically extreme regressivism as the rest of this thread.

If you see that nice moomin avatar in this thread, you can just assume that's what they're saying, and move on to mocking more neo-reactionaries.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I mean I think it's important that "GamerGator" doesn't just become the same sort of meaninglessly broad term that "SJW" has become to gamergators, where it's just applied to literally anyone who leans slightly reactionary or whatever, but everyone that's been called a gamergator in this thread either is one or is one in everything but name, ideologically.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

The important thing is that LotR is a pagan universe, and not Christian - deviation from the cosmic balance is the ultimate evil. So it's a fundamentally conservative text.
That's not true, at all. Tolkien rather explicitly came out and said that the legendarium has a Catholic outlook, Eru = God, Morgoth = Satan, and the Flame Imperishable/Secret Fire is the actual Holy Spirit. Even the Valar are just archangels beholden to the setting's almighty God. Most of the innately magical beings like the wizards, balrogs, and Sauron are Maiar or lesser angels. The ultimate evil in Tolkien's book was Melkor/Morgoth trying to disrupt Eru's authority and steal the Secret Fire for his own, and when that failed, to simply ruin and defile everything Eru, the Valar, and the Maiar had created out of spite. Sauron is a former servant of Morgoth (who was originally Eru's favorite and most powerful Vala, and by the time of LOTR is imprisoned in the Void until the apocalypse--sound familiar?), and essentially just continuing Morgoth's initial rebellion against God.

Woolie Wool has a new favorite as of 15:30 on Oct 26, 2015

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Woolie Wool posted:

That's not true, at all. Tolkien rather explicitly came out and said that the legendarium has a Catholic outlook, Eru = God, Morgoth = Satan, and the Flame Imperishable/Secret Fire is the actual Holy Spirit. Even the Valar are just archangels beholden to the setting's almighty God. Most of the innately magical beings like the wizards, balrogs, and Sauron are Maiar or lesser angels.

Yeah, but you gotta remember that virtually every pantheon in human history developed a chief god who was in charge: Odin, Zeus, Amon, or Krishna being off-the-top-of-my-head examples. The intended Christian underpinnings don't have to be taken as such.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

God sent his only son to save humanity from damnation; Eru Illuvatar sent his five wizard sons. Good thing, because three of them did gently caress all and one of them turned stones into bread.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

I mean I think it's important that "GamerGator" doesn't just become the same sort of meaninglessly broad term that "SJW" has become to gamergators, where it's just applied to literally anyone who leans slightly reactionary or whatever, but everyone that's been called a gamergator in this thread either is one or is one in everything but name, ideologically.
GamerGator is a marginally more terrible word than GamerGater.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Cingulate posted:

GamerGator is a marginally more terrible word than GamerGater.

I like it because it makes me think of this:

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

I like it because it makes me think of this:

Agree, that makes it a lot better.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Infowars, Breitbart, quality journalism

I think I just had an ironic orgasm.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Woolie Wool posted:

That's not true, at all. Tolkien rather explicitly came out and said that the legendarium has a Catholic outlook, Eru = God, Morgoth = Satan, and the Flame Imperishable/Secret Fire is the actual Holy Spirit. Even the Valar are just archangels beholden to the setting's almighty God. Most of the innately magical beings like the wizards, balrogs, and Sauron are Maiar or lesser angels. The ultimate evil in Tolkien's book was Melkor/Morgoth trying to disrupt Eru's authority and steal the Secret Fire for his own, and when that failed, to simply ruin and defile everything Eru, the Valar, and the Maiar had created out of spite. Sauron is a former servant of Morgoth (who was originally Eru's favorite and most powerful Vala, and by the time of LOTR is imprisoned in the Void until the apocalypse--sound familiar?), and essentially just continuing Morgoth's initial rebellion against God.

The problem with the Christian dimension is that it's ultimately incomplete. At the centre of Christianity is the renunciation of the world in favour of Christ, and then proceeding again into the world. In The Middle-Earth mythos, there is no such renunciation: the world is divine as it is, and renouncing the existing order is evil.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
In case you don't recognize it, "GotNews" is the site run by getting-banned-from-Twitter and incompetent-lawsuit internet celebrity right-wing shitheel Chuck Johnson.

This is one of those things that I would normally say marks that post as an obvious troll, because nobody on Earth could possibly consider Chuck worth emulating, but we're well past the looking glass here so I don't loving know anymore.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900
Yeah, but Cuck C. Johnson is still a butthurt white supremacist, and therefore worthy of this thread.

Non-whites are stealing our Star Wars roles from us!

quote:

It was white and Jewish-American nerds that put us into space and yet it’s Guatemalan-born (Oscar Isaac), Mexico-born Kenyan (Lupita Nyong’o), and the British-born white girl (Daisy Ridley) and the British-born Nigerian (John Boyega) who get to fight for the Rebel Alliance. None of these countries even have a manned space program.

Or maybe just foreigners in general?

The original Obi-Won was played by a British actor, you ignorant gently caress. posted:

One of the problems of the prequels is how unrelatable the characters were. Sure, part of the problem is the green screen but another unnoticed problem is the lack of Americans in the lineup. Canadian Hayden Christensen plays Anakin Skywalker. Irishman Liam Neeson plays the forgettable Qui Gon Jinn. The Israeli Natalie Portman plays Queen Amidala. And Scotsman Ewan McGregor plays Obi-Won Kenobi.

Unless they're rich? Help me out here; I'm confused.

quote:

Is it any surprise that we all pin our hopes on a white immigrant from South Africa [Elon Musk] to hopefully reopen the final frontier?

But SpaceX is grounded (for the moment) and so, too, will be a generation of young white boys

Also, the original version had an embarrassing typo in it:

Poor dude can't even keep the franchises he's ranting about straight. (He fixed the "Star Trek" typo, but not the misuse of "productive"—that's product, you poo poo.)

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

Curvature of Earth posted:

Yeah, but Cuck C. Johnson is still a butthurt white supremacist, and therefore worthy of this thread.

Jesus Christ, this is even worse than his older garbage.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I never realized that elves were jews before reading this thread.

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."
Aren't dwarves the jews? I thought elves were like super-old money aristocracy.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Stumiester posted:

Aren't dwarves the jews? I thought elves were like super-old money aristocracy.
Same. Dwarves are an insular group, with funny beards, a fondness if not obsession for gold and wealth, and a strange guttural language. I think they were also an older but lesser people of God, but I haven't read the Silmarillion in forever. Super easy to draw Jewish parallels.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

""The dwarves of course are quite obviously - wouldn't you say that in many ways they remind you of the Jews? Their words are Semitic obviously, constructed to be Semitic.""
― J.R.R. Tolkien

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

darthbob88 posted:

Same. Dwarves are an insular group, with funny beards, a fondness if not obsession for gold and wealth, and a strange guttural language. I think they were also an older but lesser people of God, but I haven't read the Silmarillion in forever. Super easy to draw Jewish parallels.
The Dwarves were modelled on the wandering Jews of yore, though Tolkien generally had much more good than bad to say about the Dwarves (and bitched out a Nazi who wanted to publish a translation of the Hobbit over it). They have a different origin (one of the Valar archangels tries to make intelligent life, is called on it by God, expresses remorse and says he just did it to have some bros, God favors him by adopting the Dwarves) but I don't think it's meant to get spun as "lesser."

Do these clowns really want to associate themselves with the chaotic horrors of the universe, really

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
The Dwarvish language is also developed from a pseudo-Semitic three-letter root system.

e:fb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Nessus posted:

Do these clowns really want to associate themselves with the chaotic horrors of the universe, really

Look, the Dark Gods of Infinite Evil have to get their cultists from somewhere, and a bunch of nerds ignorant enough to believe they'll be on top of a revived feudal system are the kind of suckers who'd buy the 'Oh, yeah, sure, you'll totally rule the world and not be devoured by screaming endless chaos' bit hook, line, and sinker.