Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

And who is the arbiter of that difference? You?

I've seen this a million times on the internet. Somebody voices concern. A million voices cry out "RACISM ISN'T A THING ANYMORE!" or some equally flagrantly false bullshit, and when the initial raiser of concern responds, you get to yell "STOP ARGUING! YOU'RE MAKING EVERYTHING HOSTILE!"

But it wasn't them. It was the other people. And the blame gets shifted to somebody who just had a few misgivings about some poo poo.

It's happening right now. You're doing it as we speak.

Can you look at it from my perspective, please? I know nothing about Jessica Jones, I came into the thread looking for information about the show, and instead I have to wade through some loving bullshit debate about the show's portrayal of PTSD and whether it's politically correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

LividLiquid posted:

Because rich white men making jokes about rape is hilarious all of a sudden?

Not "all of a sudden", but yes.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

enraged_camel posted:

Can you look at it from my perspective, please? I know nothing about Jessica Jones, I came into the thread looking for information about the show, and instead I have to wade through some loving bullshit debate about the show's portrayal of PTSD and whether it's politically correct.
There's nothing political about not being an rear end in a top hat. Somebody is concerned that a thing they like might not like them back, and you're telling them to shove it, because it's inconvenient for you to ever have to consider other people's feelings.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

LividLiquid posted:

There's nothing political about not being an rear end in a top hat.

That is a weakness, not a strength.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
On the Iron Fist talk, I'd imagine that the biggest stumbling block for them is fitting a good story into Hell's Kitchen. The other three shows are all about people who live there, and while Danny certainly does his story has a whole lot more not-Hell's Kitchen than the others.

The tournament, Orson Randall, the Living Weapons, and most of his recent stuff aside from being Dare Devil for Civil War spend a majority of their time in other continents and dimensions from Hell's Kitchen. It's probably going to take some work to make Hell's Kitchen his Gotham in a believable way in one season, which is why I was kind of hoping he'd pop up in Luke Cage.

The show is going to have to tell his extra dimensional origin and bring him back to Hell's Kitchn without it just being him show up at the end of the season like it's an after thought. The sub plot of the Tournament Arc where Xao was taking over his company seems like the easiest way to link Hell's Kitchen based Rand Inc. and the Heavenly Cities, but it is still going to take a little work.

Please keep the yellow slippers, Netflix.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I'm looking forward to Iron Fist just to see the scene where he reveals to someone how he got his powers.

"I punched a dragon in the heart"

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I don't have Netflix at the moment and I won't renew it to watch this. The comic was really loving dark, and judging by the trailer they made it more so. Not what I want to watch and yet another reason I read spoilers.

Well, the trailer was only 2 minutes long, it doesn't mean we'll have 12 hours of misery. Maybe they'll cut another trailer and it'll be 2 minutes of pratfalls set to Yakkity Sax, to rope you back in.

Or you know, you just watch it when you renew Netflix someday, no big.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Barry Convex posted:

The lack of a showrunner is the bigger concern than the lack of casting news, though how much so depends on whether IF is supposed to hit late 2016 or not until spring/summer 2017. The shortest showrunner->filming gap thus far has been five months for Luke Cage, and the filming->premiere timetable thus far has been nine months... so *if* IF is supposed to premiere by the end of next year, they probably need to have a showrunner by the end of this year at the latest, and the lead cast only slightly later than that.

But if it's not coming until mid-2017, they of course have a bit more time.

Yeah, I think that's just basically why I feel like its a non-issue. DD and Cage are both set for 2016 so unless they really stack next year we're probably not getting Iron Fist for another 18 months or something. So to me it just feels like Iron Fist is queued up but they haven't gotten to it yet. But I imagine they're in pre-pre-Production with all this stuff.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

I feel like Marvel, seeking to distinguish Jessica Jones in tone, even from Daredevil, highlighted the darkest parts of the show in that trailer. Even the comic relief character was shown, extremely briefly, in a way that implies something real hosed up was happening. I'm expecting this show to have at least a bit of comedy in between the psychological drama.

Still not totally sure about Ritter, but their casting seems like it's been on point (for Luke Cage, too), so I'm still optimistic this show is gonna be good

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Gyges posted:

On the Iron Fist talk, I'd imagine that the biggest stumbling block for them is fitting a good story into Hell's Kitchen. The other three shows are all about people who live there, and while Danny certainly does his story has a whole lot more not-Hell's Kitchen than the others.

The tournament, Orson Randall, the Living Weapons, and most of his recent stuff aside from being Dare Devil for Civil War spend a majority of their time in other continents and dimensions from Hell's Kitchen. It's probably going to take some work to make Hell's Kitchen his Gotham in a believable way in one season, which is why I was kind of hoping he'd pop up in Luke Cage.

The show is going to have to tell his extra dimensional origin and bring him back to Hell's Kitchn without it just being him show up at the end of the season like it's an after thought. The sub plot of the Tournament Arc where Xao was taking over his company seems like the easiest way to link Hell's Kitchen based Rand Inc. and the Heavenly Cities, but it is still going to take a little work.

Please keep the yellow slippers, Netflix.

I've never read Iron Fist so I don't really know him, but going full on other dimensional stuff in his first season seems like it would be a huge gamble. That's worked before with Marvel with Thor or Guardians of the Galaxy but it doesn't seem like it fits the Defenders at all, at least not what we've seen of Daredevil and Jones and what we can probably expect from Cage.

I feel like if you wanted to incorporate that stuff into Iron Fist you could probably make a kind of quasi- Big Trouble in Little China thing with it. Have Rand be fighting crime in Hell's Kitchen but have there be more to it and introduce the crazy stuff as you go. If its necessary for Rand's origin maybe you don't tell the origin full out, just introduce elements and teases and see how much people want to see that. Then if it works you can just go balls out crazy for a Season 2. It would be cool if you could work a Doctor Strange into Defenders S2 or something to make it a little more crazy that way, but that's a long, long, hypothetical way off.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Oct 24, 2015

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I mean, I Danny' Rand's origin starts when he's a little kid, sort of like Matt Murdock's, but moreso. I assume they will use flashbacks spread out over several episodes to reveal who he is and what he's been through. That should work perfectly fine. They could have the main story be a local, Defenders tier story and have the other stuff exist only in flashbacks. Then, if they get a second season, they can branch out into including some of those elements in the main story.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I think that's just basically why I feel like its a non-issue. DD and Cage are both set for 2016 so unless they really stack next year we're probably not getting Iron Fist for another 18 months or something. So to me it just feels like Iron Fist is queued up but they haven't gotten to it yet. But I imagine they're in pre-pre-Production with all this stuff.

Luke Cage would hit in June/July if it follows the same production->premiere timetable as DD S1 and JJ, which is why I think there's at least a significant chance they're aiming to fit in a third premiere towards the end of the year.

That could end up being JJ S2, though.

Chain_of_Dogs
Aug 24, 2015

double negative posted:

Still not totally sure about Ritter, but their casting seems like it's been on point (for Luke Cage, too), so I'm still optimistic this show is gonna be good

That's kind of how I feel. I never read Alias so I'm not intimately familiar with the character, but I just haven't really liked Ritter much before for a variety of reasons. That being said, my ignorance aside, the preview and show look interesting so far, and it definitely has my attention.

As far as Iron Fist goes, yea, the Immortal Iron Fist would be really hard to fit into the (current) theme that they appear to have going, that of a "local" superhero group. But that doesn't mean a bit of exploring still couldn't fit. But I honestly felt that way about them choosing Guardians of the Galaxy as well, when a safer, easier and more locally based group like The Inhumans would have seemed like an easier transition to the cosmic Marvel (I mean, other than Phoenix and the Starjammers which they obviously can't do). So who knows, it could all still work out, they haven't really disappointed the masses yet so I'll continue to trust them until proven otherwise.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
God I hope these sick fuckos at marvel don't fetishize this show by depicting severe emotional and mental trauma in a manner that makes me feel uncomfortable in any way.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Actually, what you could do with Iron Fist is have him Kwai Chang Caine his way into Hell's Kitchen and have the over arcing plot be retaking his father's company from the mystic extra dimensional kung fu dudes who currently control it and are using it's resources for evil. Dare Devil already had the Hand as one of the gangster factions, so just expand on that.

Chain_of_Dogs
Aug 24, 2015

Gyges posted:

Actually, what you could do with Iron Fist is have him Kwai Chang Caine his way into Hell's Kitchen and have the over arcing plot be retaking his father's company from the mystic extra dimensional kung fu dudes who currently control it and are using it's resources for evil. Dare Devil already had the Hand as one of the gangster factions, so just expand on that.

That's really not a terrible idea at all. I'd watch it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Gyges posted:

And Carrie-Anne Moss can be either the lead henchmen, or more likely, the old friend/employee of his dad's who is trying to help Danny stop them.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Is there any particular reason why Iron Fist also has to be based in Hell's Kitchen? Why can't all the Defenders spread out in New York a little, at least spread out in Manhattan a bit?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Proposition Joe posted:

Is there any particular reason why Iron Fist also has to be based in Hell's Kitchen? Why can't all the Defenders spread out in New York a little, at least spread out in Manhattan a bit?

Some spoilers posted to Reddit by an ~anonymous source~ said that Luke Cage is based in Harlem so it's possible they will continue to branch out.

Jessica kind of goes all over the place to get her jobs. What part of New York would suit Danny?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Danny is tied to Harlem as well, which is part of his whole deal with being an outsider.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

LividLiquid posted:

There's nothing political about not being an rear end in a top hat. Somebody is concerned that a thing they like might not like them back, and you're telling them to shove it, because it's inconvenient for you to ever have to consider other people's feelings.

:stonk:Yeesh, project a little harder. I cant quite picture whoever it is in your personal life that marginalizes your feelings on a regular basis

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

HIJK posted:

Some spoilers posted to Reddit by an ~anonymous source~ said that Luke Cage is based in Harlem so it's possible they will continue to branch out.

Jessica kind of goes all over the place to get her jobs. What part of New York would suit Danny?

If by "spoilers" you mean "things that Colter and others involved with the show have publicly discussed," sure

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Proposition Joe posted:

Even if it's another part of New York, Iron Fist's thing is super tied to really not New York.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Gyges posted:

Even if it's another part of New York, Iron Fist's thing is super tied to really not New York.

Marvel Executive: "Whatever, just set it Chinatown."

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

ChickenMedium posted:

Marvel Executive: "Whatever, just set it Chinatown."

Every ten years the ancient city of K'un L'un appears on our plane of existence in the remote Tibet Museum on Staten Island.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

PerniciousKnid posted:

Every ten years the ancient city of K'un L'un appears on our plane of existence in the remote Tibet Museum on Staten Island.

If they made it Wu Tang style like Ghost Dog I'd be happy

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

:stonk:Yeesh, project a little harder. I cant quite picture whoever it is in your personal life that marginalizes your feelings on a regular basis

Dude literally said that his position was that it sucked for him (or her) to read about peoples' opinions and feelings about the art he likes. His whole argument was basically that scrolling past other people's feelings was too hard for him. The other person's feelings were that a serious medical condition wouldn't be treated with respect by something he or she wanted to like. I didn't make it up. It's not even subtext. It's text.

So your theory is that I would only defend somebody on the internet if it somehow related to my personal experience, and that furthermore, said defense would be invalidated BECAUSE it related to my personal experience.

Ok, I guess? Like, I don't want to get super glib here, but I'm super glad I don't live in your bleak-rear end world.

Furthermore, everybody had dropped it for a whole day, and you brought it back. So when you, or somebody like you inevitably start blaming the SJWs for ruining the thread, remember that. Because it's an incredibly important part of this argument that is widely ignored, and an integral part of my point.

If you don't want to see pages of discussion about something, don't cause pages of discussion about something. Either nod your head, or shake it. But you don't get to be half of an argument, and blame the other half for the argument's very existence.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
SJWs do it again.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

SJWs do it again.
You've said some dick-rear end poo poo, but I can't even deny that the placement of this has me all :golfclap:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

PerniciousKnid posted:

I mean, in Living Weapon he literally just has a portal to K'un L'un in his basement. He's even like "lol how funny is it that my dad spend his whole life trying to reach it halfway around the world when there was a shortcut in Rand Tower all along!"

So there's definitely precedent for that.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

LividLiquid posted:

Dude literally said that his position was that it sucked for him (or her) to read about peoples' opinions and feelings about the art he likes. His whole argument was basically that scrolling past other people's feelings was too hard for him. The other person's feelings were that a serious medical condition wouldn't be treated with respect by something he or she wanted to like. I didn't make it up. It's not even subtext. It's text.

So your theory is that I would only defend somebody on the internet if it somehow related to my personal experience, and that furthermore, said defense would be invalidated BECAUSE it related to my personal experience.

Ok, I guess? Like, I don't want to get super glib here, but I'm super glad I don't live in your bleak-rear end world.

Furthermore, everybody had dropped it for a whole day, and you brought it back. So when you, or somebody like you inevitably start blaming the SJWs for ruining the thread, remember that. Because it's an incredibly important part of this argument that is widely ignored, and an integral part of my point.

If you don't want to see pages of discussion about something, don't cause pages of discussion about something. Either nod your head, or shake it. But you don't get to be half of an argument, and blame the other half for the argument's very existence.

You've put way too much effort into defending internet strangers, so yea... I have to imagine this effects you personally, and since you cannot lash out in real life you do it on the internet to people you do not know. Honestly, just stand up to whoever is persecuting you in real life(Or leave if it is not safe to do so) and stop clogging up the thread with attacks on people who do not know you and would not harm you if they actually met you in the real world. You seem to have real problems to deal with, so go do that. If you need assistance, despite the garbage dump that GBS has become, they are currently helping out a homeless guy living out of his car , so there is still hope even if you do not see any.

In response the rest of what you wrote I do not care about SJWs or their opinions because they are irrelevant people who contribute nothing but weak passive aggression wherever they insert themselves.

EDIT: Oh yeah I was complaining about the lame promos they kept releasing for this show, but now that I have seen the actual trailer it looks super dark. Maybe a little light on the action but I'd gladly trade that for some psychological horror. So few productions focus on that anymore, instead taking the body horror shortcut.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Oct 25, 2015

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I want to take a second to applaud you because reading this post literally felt like rolling around in horseshit, which I'm sure was exactly what you set out to accomplish. Major props for succeeding in your endeavors.

Jessica Jones' storyline deals extensively with PTSD. Therefore, PTSD -- and how the series portrays PTSD -- is obviously going to be at least one significant topic of discussion. I suppose we can be sensitive and circumspect about the discussion, or we can be SA Forums about it. Hopefully this thread decides soon before inflicting us with more of these posts.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

BrianWilly posted:

Jessica Jones' storyline deals extensively with PTSD. Therefore, PTSD -- and how the series portrays PTSD -- is obviously going to be at least one significant topic of discussion. I suppose we can be sensitive and circumspect about the discussion, or we can be SA Forums about it. Hopefully this thread decides soon before inflicting us with more of these posts.
Or we could wait until we have more than a 2-minute trailer to base the discussion on. Talking about PTSD and how the show is handled is fine... when the show is actually released and people have watched it. But we don't *know* how the show handles the topic right now. We just have a few disjointed scenes cut from a much longer product, likely thrown together by somebody other than the show-runners, so the "discussion" right now is just a bunch of "What if... what if... what if...!?!" which leads to both sides of the discussion getting worked up over how they *imagine* the show will handle it and getting upset that others aren't imagining it the same way.

In short, wait until we have more than a 2-minute trailer to get loving worked up over the show's treatment of PTSD.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

this thread truly is hell's kitchen

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

FutureFriend posted:

this thread truly is hell's kitchen

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
This am not very good thread

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Eh! Frank posted:

In short, wait until we have more than a 2-minute trailer to get loving worked up over the show's treatment of PTSD.

Yes, I suggest you all do this.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

PerniciousKnid posted:

Well, the trailer was only 2 minutes long, it doesn't mean we'll have 12 hours of misery. Maybe they'll cut another trailer and it'll be 2 minutes of pratfalls set to Yakkity Sax, to rope you back in.

Or you know, you just watch it when you renew Netflix someday, no big.

The comic was pretty much a long walk of misery.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I'm normally not crazy about ultra-dark superhero stuff, but I thought Daredevil handled that tone pretty well so this show's got a fair chance.

Also it's Krysten Ritter, so I kinda gotta watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Flipped through some Iron Fist trades today and I really wish Marvel would do some sort of anthology tales of the Iron Fist thing. Those brief stories of other Iron Fists were pretty sweet.

Except the future one, Jesus that was bad.