Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

KingFisher posted:

What would happen to those of you on expensive meds before they existed? Or if you lived somewhere they didn't exist?

Typically intestinal resection. Crohn's can cause problems for organs outside of the digestive system as well (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crohn%27s_disease#Extraintestinal) so if those symptoms are present in a patient they would be worse if they did not have access to the biologic therapy drugs (Humira, Remicade, etc). Some of the biologic therapy drugs only target the intestines if I recall correctly.

Related to politics: One of the first discoverers of Crohn's disease Antoni Leśniowski ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antoni_Le%C5%9Bniowski ) died in the Katyn massacre ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katyn_massacre ) which was Stalin's culling of the top of polish society (top with regard to academics, science, finance and military).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

KingFisher posted:

What would happen to those of you on expensive meds before they existed? Or if you lived somewhere they didn't exist?

Well I can't speak for everyone else but my intestines eventually became a mass of scar tissue and broke apart. All told the final hospital bill was around 600,000.00. I owed nothing thanks to great insurance. Glad that under Ben Carson plan it would take hundreds of family members donating their money to me to cover that

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah I'd be dead.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

KingFisher posted:

You die. Look at Africa and south-east Asia for general miserable examples like Tuberculosis, Malaria, and HIV/AIDS:

quote:

HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis (TB) and malaria are preventable and treatable diseases that disproportionately affect the world’s poor. Sub-Saharan Africa is the hardest hit region, accounting for 90% of malaria deaths, more than 70% of all people living with HIV and nearly one-third of all TB cases.
We can treat Tuberculosis and Malaria fairly easily, and yet:

quote:

In 2012 there were an estimated 627,000 malaria deaths worldwide in 2012 (uncertainty interval, 473,000–789,000).

In 2013, there were an estimated 584,000 malaria deaths (with an uncertainty range of 367,000 to 755,000).
So again, if you need expensive meds and you can't get them, you loving die. It's miserable and sad to think about.

All the "post-apocalyptic" poo poo conservative survivalists love to fantasize about sounds fun in their minds, versus the very un-fun reality where you're making GBS threads out blood and parasites every night and trying to sleep while dealing with a wet, hacking cough and an oozing rash over most of your body.

Fun, huh?:zombie:

fade5 fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Oct 26, 2015

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
"Everything is terrible, according to them," Obama said to Democratic supporters Friday. "They are gloomy. They are like Grumpy Cat," he said before doing a version of the Internet meme.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Any article with "The Case For..." in the title is more than likely advocating something horrific.

Reparations :getin:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Remember, HSAs were part of the Romney/Ryan healthcare platform. They aren't some crazy thing Carson dreamt up by himself. Whichever republican ends up with the nomination will likely be pushing HSAs as part of their repeal of Obamacare.

Why are they all into HSAs? Because republicans think we need MORE skin in the healthcare game! Yes, they actually believe that once we hit our insurance deductibles we don't give a gently caress about costs anymore and splurge on the most expensive unnecessary procedures just for the hell of it. Of course, we'd be more judicial about our healthcare spending if we had to pay a chunk of every procedure out of our own pocket.

The hilarious thing is that you already do. First, there's a premium for Part B Medicare, it's $104.90 a month. Next, you have a deductible on medical services which is $147, after which you pay a 20% coinsurance following crossing the deductible. However, that $147 only covers medical services, such as a doctor and preventive services. If you have to go to the hospital and stay there to convalesce, which is what Part A covers, you have to pay a $1156 lump sum deductible for the first 60 days. Stay longer than 60 days and now you're paying $289 per day. After 90 days, you go into what's known as your "lifetime reserve" which you can only use for the rest of your life. So, you have another 60 days out of a lifetime pool that costs $579 per day. After that or you exhaust your lifetime reserve days, you have to pay the full hospital cost.

This is why stuff like Medicare Supplements and Medicare Advantage plans exist, but even those require Medicare to stay around in it's current form. Medicare Supplements pay for anything that Medicare doesn't cover and I know that you can get some low cost and even zero-dollar premium MA plans that work as good as Medicare if not better, but what happens there is the insurance carrier gets to bill Medicare whenever a customer uses their services. If Medicare changes to a Health Savings Account form, then the carrier has no incentive to keep premiums, deductibles, and coinsurances low and will raise everything since they aren't getting kicked back by Medicare.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

KingFisher posted:

Well for Crohn's Disease, :420: seems to help (it kept me out of the hospital the last time I had a major flare-up), but other than that you're boned. Your intestines disintegrate until either A) they're replaced by a bag or B) you die.

Also thread-related: Eisenhower had Crohn's. I wrote a paper in high school arguing that his Crohn's was the real inspiration behind the interstate system, so we could all have fast roads to the nearest available bathroom (Crohn's gives you the shits like you wouldn't loving believe).

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Well for Crohn's Disease, :420: seems to help (it kept me out of the hospital the last time I had a major flare-up), but other than that you're boned. Your intestines disintegrate until either A) they're replaced by a bag or B) you die.

Also thread-related: Eisenhower had Crohn's. I wrote a paper in high school arguing that his Crohn's was the real inspiration behind the interstate system, so we could all have fast roads to the nearest available bathroom (Crohn's gives you the shits like you wouldn't loving believe).

Yeah :420: saved my life when I was in my 20s after 2 or 3 three very bad surgeries I started using it as I'd heard good things. Gained my weight back , pain went away etc..

Really hoping Illinois allows for medical cannabis for Crohn's but that's a long way out.

gently caress it I'll just make a E/N thread.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT

KingFisher posted:

I've been taking Remicade since before it was approved for my condition (14+ years). I was on organ-rejection drugs and steroids before which as you can imagine was pretty terrible. If I didn't have these drugs I would have a colostomy or be dead. :v: Or both, with how severe mine is, it would probably be both.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Someone make a thread about it or something I'm to lazy. Also posting this from bathroom. I also have been taking Remicaid since it has been approved but just stopped recently and switched to humira.

My memory though is just shot to poo poo because of Remicaid.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
How many of you are making GBS threads yourself to death? Goddamn.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Everyone

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

eventually, yes

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe
So what would happen if everyone you know just had to pay for the healthcare they want to use, you know like lunch.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

KingFisher posted:

So what would happen if everyone you know just had to pay for the healthcare they want to use, you know like lunch.

You would find that you know a lot less people than you used to (they died).

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe
Right, that's the basic idea of HSA's save money in a tax advantaged account to pay for the healthcare you choose to use.

Was there something inherently immoral about when this was how healthcare worked? Either insurance didn't exist or we didn't have all these wildly expensive treatments?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

KingFisher posted:

A coworker of mine once said he shouldn't have to pay premiums for OBGYN services in our state-government provided BCBS healthcare package because he 'doesn't have a vagina.'

He also doesn't understand how insurance works.

____

I'm so loving tired of this 'skin in the game' argument. It's all a fancy ruse to make the patient responsible for a larger and larger share of skyrocketing healthcare costs--costs that could be avoided if we stopped treating healthcare like a consumer good.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

KingFisher posted:

Right, that's the basic idea of HSA's save money in a tax advantaged account to pay for the healthcare you choose to use.

Was there something inherently immoral about when this was how healthcare worked? Either insurance didn't exist or we didn't have all these wildly expensive treatments?

The poor died of what were even then preventable diseases, the rich usually had doctors who would do house calls.

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
Fun Shoe
At what point does healthcare ever stop being a consumer good? Could you cite a year or particular historical event that makes this true?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

KingFisher posted:

Back before insurance existed, modern medicine also practically didn't exist, and often going to the doctor would make you sicker rather than healthier. Additionally for a bit while medical insurance was getting off the ground, the poor might instead have a nurse or even a doctor or two on staff at whatever large workplace they went to, if they had one.

Not sure why you're acting like things were better in like fuckin 1870 or whatever.

KingFisher posted:

At what point does healthcare ever stop being a consumer good? Could you cite a year or particular historical event that makes this true?

It was never a consumer good. There was a time when doctors for the most part couldn't fix anything, and then medicine started to actually function.

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
Fun Shoe

Absurd Alhazred posted:

The poor died of what were even then preventable diseases, the rich usually had doctors who would do house calls.

I agree with you, so you are saying the lowering of the cost of providing care shifted it from being a luxury service to a utility?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

KingFisher posted:

you're basically rolling the dice that you don't get a wildly expensive illness. insurance didn't exist, there weren't a lot of expensive treatments, but also people would just die prematurely because they couldn't pay a doctor to deal with their issues. it happened all the time

it's not necessarily immoral, nowadays we like to pretend that nobody in the first world should die of a treatable/curable illness simply for lack of ability to pay. we also don't accept that people should starve to death due to lack of ability to buy food. but it's a lot easier to feed someone than to treat them if they happen to develop a costly medical problem

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

KingFisher posted:

I agree with you, so you are saying the lowering of the cost of providing care shifted it from being a luxury service to a utility?

The creation of national health services in most developed countries, and workplace-based healthcare for the then more widely unionized American workforce, gave a lot more people access to health. In general healthcare has become more expensive with time, not cheaper, mostly because more things that weren't treatable at all have no become so, so people are being treated rather than buried.

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
Fun Shoe

Nintendo Kid posted:

Back before insurance existed, modern medicine also practically didn't exist, and often going to the doctor would make you sicker rather than healthier. Additionally for a bit while medical insurance was getting off the ground, the poor might instead have a nurse or even a doctor or two on staff at whatever large workplace they went to, if they had one.

Not sure why you're acting like things were better in like fuckin 1870 or whatever.

It was never a consumer good. There was a time when doctors for the most part couldn't fix anything, and then medicine started to actually function.

Oh I agree with you entirely, I think a state based single payer system would probably be best for all. I am just trying to understand the historical forces that moved healthcare from being like lunch to whatever it is today.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

KingFisher posted:

healthcare has always been a utility, between choosing to live or die, nearly all rational actors choose to live. healthcare is necessary like shelter or food. the problem is that healthcare is usually more expensive than most other basic needs, because anybody can build a house or grow/cook food, but you need to have special skills and equipment to provide quality healthcare, meaning that there's usually more demand than supply, meaning that the wealthy can always get the best healthcare and depending on your context in time/space if you're poor you may be poo poo out of luck

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

KingFisher posted:

Health care shouldn't be seen as a consumer good:

1) You don't choose when you need it.
2) Often when you need it and don't get it, you die.
3) Other times when you need it and don't get it, the consequencea end up costing more to society than the original healthcare need.

All three of these things have been true for as long as society has existed, and they become more pronounced as we develop more ways to save lives. But, and this may surprise you: the way things worked in the past is kind of lovely.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

KingFisher posted:

Healthcare is not a consumer good.

We often have no choice in whether or not we use it, where we use it, or what procedures are being performed (in emergencies). Prices are intentionally obscured.

There is no way to make informed choices in healthcare--even with good insurance, even modest healthcare needs are a rollercoaster ride of miscoded procedures, surprise bills, and fine-print coverage surprises.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

KingFisher posted:

Oh I agree with you entirely, I think a state based single payer system would probably be best for all. I am just trying to understand the historical forces that moved healthcare from being like lunch to whatever it is today.

It was never like "lunch" what don't you get?

Typically before medicine really became an evidence based thing, the "doctor" for a local area was just some guy who was kinda better at guessing at things that might fix ya then anyone else. And if you needed surgery it'd be the butcher or barber who might actually take off an arm or dig a bullet out.

As the medical profession started to actually be worth a poo poo, insurance and similar systems quickly sprang up (for everybody but the rich, who of course could just hire a doctor for the family or whatever).

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
I think he was talking about when the first organized medical programs popped up with the intent of spreading risk through insurance or taxes. I think.

Anyways if that's the case I think what you're looking for is Bismark's social welfare programs in the 1880s. That's generally accepted as the starting point for the welfare state that we know today.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
And until germ theory was developed, doctors could spread disease, too. I remember an amusing anecdote about the doctor that first proposed that doctors should wash their hands; he was hounded out of Vienna for daring to suggest that doctors were somehow, "dirty". He eventually died from the very thing he had tried to prevent; a fever he caught from an unwashed doctor.

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
Fun Shoe
Thanks Necco so this is sort of utility by choice as each state has the surplus to pay for the newly discovered need for healthcare.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Necc0 posted:

I think he was talking about when the first organized medical programs popped up with the intent of spreading risk through insurance or taxes. I think.

Anyways if that's the case I think what you're looking for is Bismark's social welfare programs in the 1880s. That's generally accepted as the starting point for the welfare state that we know today.

In 1798, a health insurance scheme was mandated for sailors in the merchant marine, in early America: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/a-little-perspective-congress-first-mandated-health-care-in-1798-17926/?no-ist

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

The other thing about Medicare in its current state is that it lets the federal government leverage some stuff against hospitals. I know the only reason they moved to a digital health record is because they were starting to withhold medicare reimbursement money.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Just a reminder that The Knick season 2 just started so if you want to start looking at medicine from around 100 years ago that's a nice friendly place to get a glimpse.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Nintendo Kid posted:

In 1798, a health insurance scheme was mandated for sailors in the merchant marine, in early America: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/a-little-perspective-congress-first-mandated-health-care-in-1798-17926/?no-ist

Yeah and it's pretty impressive that we're still here arguing the fundamentals of it over 150 200 years later

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I would be okay with a return to a 19th century method of paying for healthcare if we also returned to allowing us to purchase bottles of Heroin.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

LionYeti posted:

The other thing about Medicare in its current state is that it lets the federal government leverage some stuff against hospitals. I know the only reason they moved to a digital health record is because they were starting to withhold medicare reimbursement money.

Not to mention the hospitals just leverage the 'lost revenue' from Medicare's legitimately fair reimbursement against the private health insurers.

sullat posted:

And until germ theory was developed, doctors could spread disease, too. I remember an amusing anecdote about the doctor that first proposed that doctors should wash their hands; he was hounded out of Vienna for daring to suggest that doctors were somehow, "dirty". He eventually died from the very thing he had tried to prevent; a fever he caught from an unwashed doctor.

Carrying disease from the postmortem to their living patients--causing sepsis.

Medicine was pretty scary before germ theory and aseptic techniques.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The Knick will end with a cut to of Ben Carson holding a snow globe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Flashback to the time that Harry Reid won another term because the leading Republican suggested healthcare savings accounts and bartering with your doctor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_1U4r8mWXY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZezfjWox5s

• Locked thread