Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Herb Dington posted:

Rolling missions is easily 5-10x the income of just mining and selling so I'm with the side of OPP. When I started, I threw away osmium, then noticed I was missing out on at least a million each trip.

Unless you're mining in a Cobra or some other tiny ship, collecting PPPGO will get you enough mission materials to last for more board rerolls than I suspect most people have the patience to do, and then when you run out of those (or get bored of rerolling the board) you will have a bunch of valuable gold and palladium to sell.

Collecting only OPP will just make both mining and mission cheesing take forever, and that doesn't sound like fun to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"

Sekenr posted:

Pls post your color settings.

code:
			<MatrixRed> 0.14, 0.59, 0 </MatrixRed>
			<MatrixGreen> 0, 0, 1 </MatrixGreen>
			<MatrixBlue> 1, -0.65, -0.5 </MatrixBlue>
Was actually posted by somebody earlier in the thread, the only major issue is that "Mission Target" still shows as black, and it can be really hard to see the arrows on allied coriolis stations.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

AndroidHub posted:

code:
			<MatrixRed> 0.14, 0.59, 0 </MatrixRed>
			<MatrixGreen> 0, 0, 1 </MatrixGreen>
			<MatrixBlue> 1, -0.65, -0.5 </MatrixBlue>
Was actually posted by somebody earlier in the thread, the only major issue is that "Mission Target" still shows as black, and it can be really hard to see the arrows on allied coriolis stations.

"mission target" shows black anyway because :frontear:

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

TorakFade posted:

Yes, pristine metallic rings is where you find the premium stuff - even there painite is kinda rare, when you find that one sweet 30% painite rock though...

Metal rich have the second best spawn table, filling a hold with osmium gold and palladium is still a big fat payout!

Valatar posted:

Go for metallic, not metal rich. Metal rich are for poors. Go to metallic with a crapton of limpets and prospect around. You want Osmium, Platinum, and Painite. Because people in space are down with OPP. Haul it to a nearby refinery station. Go to the bulletin board. Trade each unit of your haul for 70-100K credits through the missions there. Be rich.

Thanks for the tips space bros. I already have a bunch of missions stacked up, which is why I need the painite and platinum specifically (and osmium, though finding that wasn't a problem).

Sard posted:

Frey 4 and Garratt Station is a pretty good way to make money mining if you're into clicking rocks.

Cool, thanks for mentioning that. Of course 10 minutes after I get there and finally find some painite, the servers poo poo the bed :negative:

At least I was able to get some platinum and gold first.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy

Rah! posted:

Thanks for the tips space bros. I already have a bunch of missions stacked up, which is why I need the painite and platinum specifically (and osmium, though finding that wasn't a problem).

Be careful, if you have a pile of missions when you head out to mine, odds are good that you'll get jumped repeatedly by dicks, even if your hold is empty. Apparently space pirates have the psychic power of knowing when someone has a mission. What I do is do the mining first, then go through the bulletin board to sell them off.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

For anyone interested in doing runs for the nebulastation CG: Jarowair Has small supplies of gold, silver, palladium, and cobalt in varying amounts that are replenishing between trips, and you can haul bioreducing lichen from Kaushpoos for a small profit on the return trip. It's 22.44lr away from Kaushpoos and I'm making about 375k per round trip in a 452 ton conda.

Not great, but if you're looking to get in the top 15% or 40% for the CG it's not bad.

e:Also worth noting this is probably really bad if you're in anything but a large pad ship, since there's a ton of extraction systems near kaushpoos with just outposts.

AndroidHub fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Oct 26, 2015

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh
So I was thinking of picking up this game after getting the itch again from rebel galaxy but recently I have heard a lot of negativity like there isn't much to do in it after a while and that I should wait for horizons. I saw a video a while ago on smuggling and a dude evading scanning into a station by turning off his life support. That seemed really neat but then I recently heard smuggling has been nerfed to hell and not worth doing anymore? Should I bother with this game?

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Vire posted:

So I was thinking of picking up this game after getting the itch again from rebel galaxy but recently I have heard a lot of negativity like there isn't much to do in it after a while and that I should wait for horizons. I saw a video a while ago on smuggling and a dude evading scanning into a station by turning off his life support. That seemed really neat but then I recently heard smuggling has been nerfed to hell and not worth doing anymore? Should I bother with this game?

It's still fun but you really got to focus on making your own fun. The smuggling nerf was lame but if you're social with other goons you can get together for a good enough time. I had a blast being a bacon pirate and doing the long range smuggling runs. I found that it's best to take a couple days off or only play for a limited time to avoid burnout.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Astroniomix posted:

"mission target" shows black anyway because :frontear:

Is this why I no longer see the mission target text?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Do goons still hang out around Big Harry's? I finally made it there. It only took me a million years and then I got blown up. But it was ok.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Reason posted:

Do goons still hang out around Big Harry's? I finally made it there. It only took me a million years and then I got blown up. But it was ok.

No we moved to 63 g. Capricorni

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Vire posted:

The only thing that was nerfed, I believe, is there was an exploit-ish deal involving a system way out in the rear end end of nowhere offering too much money for smuggling runs, relatively speaking.

I only got out there after the nerf and it's still respectable money, if you stack up hauling/smuggling missions before heading back in.

As for the game itself, it's fun, but I think the biggest problem people fall into is treating it like a level-based MMO, where the entire game tends to be:
1. Grind through unfun stuff as fast as possible to get to the endgame asap, then
2. Start playing the "real" game

But for E:D, there is no 2. You just play the game, using the money you have at the time to get the best ship you can, and then you get more money to get a better ship to do the exact same missions (just some of them are more difficult for more money). If you come into the game with the mindset of "I'm not really enjoying this, but if I grind hard enough it'll be more fun later" you're going to have a Bad Time. This also means if you try and force yourself to play it when you're not in the mood for it because you feel like you need to do it Right Now, you're also going to have a Bad Time. (Which, I feel, is a problem with the timed mission system, in the sense of "if you lose momentum on your backlog and want to stop playing and pick up tomorrow, you're penalized", but :frontear:)

To that end, I think you can download the client and play the demo without buying the game? So I'd say gently caress around with the demo for a bit and if you're not having fun with that, you should probably pass.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

Well I hit the 15% contribution mark at the Kaushpoos CG (its at around 4k tons right now) and decided to look around for better routes. I found that doing a round trip to Teng-Hui Dock in WOLF 325 nets me about 1900cr a ton round trip, silver from Teng-Hui for roughly 1150cr a ton, and advanced catalyzers from Neville Horizons for about 750cr a ton. It's 38 lr, which will be about three jumps in any bulk trading vessel, but Teng-hui is only 28ls from the drop-in once you get there, so I think it's well worth it.

AndroidHub fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Oct 26, 2015

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
I have a Federal Dropship finally and while it is fun to drift around like a hateful space hellbrick, I've run into a dilemma: How the hell do I arm it? I keep going back to four class 2 pulse laser turrets and one gimballed class 3 cannon- because class 2 weapons have a penalty against large ship hulls (right?) so I get the most of the C3 slot- but the cannon feels kinda weak. It broke the hell out of the internals on this Clipper, but otherwise was only hitting for 1% hull damage per shot. Frag cannons are pieces of poo poo so that's not an option. Should I keep it as is and use the cannon to just punch holes through targets, wrecking power plants every now and then, or switch to a class 3 energy weapon and class 2 multicannon turrets? Or two class 2 pulse turrets on the sides, a class 3 pulse turret below, and something else like two railguns on the bottom?

Decisions, decisions. Hopefully I can make enough money before unlocking access to the Federal Assault Ship that I can afford to keep both hulls; the FDS seems like it'd make the perfect battle miner.

Sard fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Oct 26, 2015

Tim Pawlenty
Jun 3, 2006

Sard posted:

I have a Federal Dropship finally and while it is fun to drift around like a hateful space hellbrick, I've run into a dilemma: How the hell do I arm it? I keep going back to four class 2 pulse laser turrets and one gimballed class 3 cannon- because class 2 weapons have a penalty against large ship hulls (right?) so I get the most of the C3 slot- but the cannon feels kinda weak. It broke the hell out of the internals on this Clipper, but otherwise was only hitting for 1% hull damage per shot. Frag cannons are pieces of poo poo so that's not an option. Should I keep it as is and use the cannon to just punch holes through targets, wrecking power plants every now and then, or switch to a class 3 energy weapon and class 2 multicannon turrets? Or two class 2 pulse turrets on the sides, a class 3 pulse turret below, and something else like two railguns on the bottom?

Decisions, decisions. Hopefully I can make enough money before unlocking access to the Federal Assault Ship that I can afford to keep both hulls; the FDS seems like it'd make the perfect battle miner.

It's a bad ship and the federal assault ship is infinitely better.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

Sard posted:

Long story short the FDrop simply isn't that much better than the asp for mining, slightly more cargo space, but less collectors in an optimal build. And for somebody starting out, the asp is significantly more affordable.

FDrop

Asp

It is by no real stretch a good "battle miner" (due to the shield strength) but you can use it for regular mining I guess.

The clipper however is an excellent miner, as it is excellent at almost everything.

I personally wouldn't suggest mining in an RES in anything short of a python or anaconda though.

Medpak
Dec 26, 2011

AndroidHub posted:

Well I hit the 15% contribution mark at the Kaushpoos CG (its at around 4k tons right now) and decided to look around for better routes. I found that doing a round trip to Teng-Hui Dock in WOLF 315 nets me about 1900cr a ton round trip, silver from Teng-Hui for roughly 1150cr a ton, and advanced catalyzers from Neville Horizons for about 750cr a ton. It's 38 lr, which will be about three jumps in any bulk trading vessel, but Teng-hui is only 28ls from the drop-in once you get there, so I think it's well worth it.

Thanks, I was wondering at about what the threshold was for 15%, that's not too bad. Thanks for sharing the route info too!

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

AndroidHub posted:

Well I hit the 15% contribution mark at the Kaushpoos CG (its at around 4k tons right now) and decided to look around for better routes. I found that doing a round trip to Teng-Hui Dock in WOLF 315 nets me about 1900cr a ton round trip, silver from Teng-Hui for roughly 1150cr a ton, and advanced catalyzers from Neville Horizons for about 750cr a ton. It's 38 lr, which will be about three jumps in any bulk trading vessel, but Teng-hui is only 28ls from the drop-in once you get there, so I think it's well worth it.

Are you sure of that system? Wolf 315 only has outposts.

And Teng-Hui Dock which is nearby has no metal :confused:

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Oct 26, 2015

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

Sorry that should be Wolf 325, I was going to 315 as well at some point and mixed em up.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

AndroidHub posted:

Long story short the FDrop simply isn't that much better than the asp for mining, slightly more cargo space, but less collectors in an optimal build. And for somebody starting out, the asp is significantly more affordable.

FDrop

Asp

It is by no real stretch a good "battle miner" (due to the shield strength) but you can use it for regular mining I guess.

The clipper however is an excellent miner, as it is excellent at almost everything.

I personally wouldn't suggest mining in an RES in anything short of a python or anaconda though.

I had trouble with the Asp in that it couldn't power both medium mining beams long enough to quickly empty a prospected rock, but then I didn't invest in a top-end power distributor. I'm looking at this budget-adjusted setup for the FDS. or something similar, to keep both beams going constantly with four drones active. Mining at Frey 4, so I don't need too much extra cargo for limpets since there's a station so close.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Valatar posted:

Be careful, if you have a pile of missions when you head out to mine, odds are good that you'll get jumped repeatedly by dicks, even if your hold is empty. Apparently space pirates have the psychic power of knowing when someone has a mission. What I do is do the mining first, then go through the bulletin board to sell them off.

Yeah that's a good idea. It wasn't much of a problem taking a bunch of missions before the recent update, because interdictions were so easy to evade, but it's more annoying now that they're unbreakable and the AI is tougher. It'll also get rid of the stress from the stupid time limits, if I take the missions after I mine...it's so hard to ignore high paying missions though :shepface:

And speaking of interdictions, I just managed to escape one (which is only my second escape out of the past 10-20 interdictions, compared to always being able to escape before)...and then literally a second after i escaped i got interdicted again, and it instantly beat me. There was no mini game or anything (well, it might have flashed on the screen for about 0.001 seconds), just me cruising along and then the "FSD failure, interdiction" message. And of course it was a lone Imperial courier that was no match for my Anaconda.
:frontear:

But I still love the game. In case anyone missed it here's the full livestream of the SRV gameplay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3jlcPe8cII

:monocle:

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

You're welcome to do whatever, but clippers should still be for sale to anyone, and it's just all around better aside from the fact that you need a large pad, and that it's relatively more expensive-

http://coriolis.io/outfit/imperial_clipper/06D6D5A5D6A5D4C1e1e2m2m040000000605451vC0C0C5P4.Iw18aQ==.AwiMIyuo

This one is basically as optimal as you can get, so you can downgrade some stuff to make it cheaper.

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

OriginalPseudonym posted:

The only thing that was nerfed, I believe, is there was an exploit-ish deal involving a system way out in the rear end end of nowhere offering too much money for smuggling runs, relatively speaking.

I only got out there after the nerf and it's still respectable money, if you stack up hauling/smuggling missions before heading back in.

As for the game itself, it's fun, but I think the biggest problem people fall into is treating it like a level-based MMO, where the entire game tends to be:
1. Grind through unfun stuff as fast as possible to get to the endgame asap, then
2. Start playing the "real" game

But for E:D, there is no 2. You just play the game, using the money you have at the time to get the best ship you can, and then you get more money to get a better ship to do the exact same missions (just some of them are more difficult for more money). If you come into the game with the mindset of "I'm not really enjoying this, but if I grind hard enough it'll be more fun later" you're going to have a Bad Time. This also means if you try and force yourself to play it when you're not in the mood for it because you feel like you need to do it Right Now, you're also going to have a Bad Time. (Which, I feel, is a problem with the timed mission system, in the sense of "if you lose momentum on your backlog and want to stop playing and pick up tomorrow, you're penalized", but :frontear:)

To that end, I think you can download the client and play the demo without buying the game? So I'd say gently caress around with the demo for a bit and if you're not having fun with that, you should probably pass.

Cool glad to hear it. I am not scared to try to make my own fun and I am glad to hear its still viable. I would like to just smuggle and kinda han solo it in the game but if it offered like no reward for doing so and I couldnt work my way up dunno if I would want to bother. Ill try to track down that demo thanks.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

AndroidHub posted:

Sorry that should be Wolf 325, I was going to 315 as well at some point and mixed em up.

Ah so, thank you :)

Vire posted:

Cool glad to hear it. I am not scared to try to make my own fun and I am glad to hear its still viable. I would like to just smuggle and kinda han solo it in the game but if it offered like no reward for doing so and I couldnt work my way up dunno if I would want to bother. Ill try to track down that demo thanks.

Keep in mind this game is more like MS Flight Simulator and less like Wing Commander.

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Oct 26, 2015

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

Vire posted:

I am playing Rebel Galaxy, after getting a bit burned out on Elite, and there is no comparison.

It's in 'space', sort of, and there are ships you can improve through trade & combat. But that's it. Rebel Galaxy is trying to be Diablo in space (look at who developed it), with super cool music, and it does what it goes for very well.

Vire posted:

there isn't much to do in it after a while"

Define "a while". You will take days, if not weeks just to learn how to fly lovely starter ship properly. There is easily 100+ hours of fun gameplay to get to a decently equipped mid-range ship and have a good grasp of all the game systems, and that's without touching multiplayer. It will become a grind eventually, but you'll get your money's worth.

That said, if you don't own the game yet, you should definitely wait for Horizons, it's out soon, and includes the base game, so is a much better deal.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
I tried Rebel Galaxy and immediately hated it. It isn't a space fighter, it's naval combat with a space backdrop.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

I tried Rebel Galaxy and immediately hated it. It isn't a space fighter, it's naval combat with a space backdrop.

I played Rebel Galaxy this weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it. It also makes me wish Elite: Dangerous would take a bit from Rebel Galaxy because it was such a pleasure to play. The way warp worked, the way the music and minor visual details came together to make a cool universe with which to build narratives off of, the way contracts/missions were settled on completion rather than having to go back to whichever station you got them from gave them to you. So good.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

And and distress beacons, and tractor beams, and npc interaction/hailing. Somebody send Braben a copy via e-mail.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I hit the metallic rings for a while to get up the cash for the clipper while it was still available and on sale, definitely see what people meant about its engine sound. Is there a system with the courier being sold for a similar discount? As long as I'm scooping up cheaper imperial ships, may as well catch 'em all.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Sounds like I need to get a clipper now even if I don't outfit it immediately, where's it on sale in?

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Hiyaa Orbital in Arjung has it for the 15M sale, just bought it there about an hour ago.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Valatar posted:

Hiyaa Orbital in Arjung has it for the 15M sale, just bought it there about an hour ago.

Good lord! How does it compare to the FAS? Better or worse, would you say? Since that's what I've been saving + grinding ranks for, however that price for the Clipper sure makes it a tempting alternative...

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh
I wasn't implying rebel galaxy is anything like this game as rebel galaxy is more assassin creed 4 in space. Merely mentioning that it gave me the itch to try a real space sim. I downloaded the demo is there any recommended keyboard settings to change or should I just get good with the defaults?

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Major Isoor posted:

Good lord! How does it compare to the FAS? Better or worse, would you say? Since that's what I've been saving + grinding ranks for, however that price for the Clipper sure makes it a tempting alternative...
The Clipper is a large ship rather than medium and is more designed around shields than armour. Other than that they seem to be basically the same.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Ugh. I got tired of getting jumped and having to run away from shieldless sidewinders, so I equipped some weapons as a "gently caress you, at least I can feel better about myself now"...

So now instead of getting chain-interdicted by the same pirates, I get chain interdicted by different pirates. :downs:

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

So I think I've powerplayed a little, I got 130 loyalty points for Hudson in military strikes. It seems really vauge as to when you get the credit for them, doesn't seem to be last blow or anything just at random. Anyway have I got this right that in 3 days I'll 'spend' 100 of my saved up points and become rank 2 for a week?

After my fairly successful foray in my Diamondback Scout I think I'm going to upgrade to a Diamondback Explorer. I am on a tight budget just now so I was planning on something like this

http://coriolis.io/outfit/diamondback_explorer/04D4D5C3D4D3D5C---00---48022g2i24.Iw1-kA==.Aw1-kA==

Though I'm not sure I need the cargo rack as that will only encourage pirates. 20ly range seems ok., might see if I can scrape together the extra cash for a 5B to push it out to 25 ly before I set off.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Vire posted:

I wasn't implying rebel galaxy is anything like this game as rebel galaxy is more assassin creed 4 in space. Merely mentioning that it gave me the itch to try a real space sim. I downloaded the demo is there any recommended keyboard settings to change or should I just get good with the defaults?
I'd switch around the throttle, thrust, UI focus and Boost keys around.
My current setup uses the WASD keys for thrusters, R and F as the throttle, Shift for the Boost, Tab for UI focus and X for Throttle to 0%. If you use a mouse, bind Yaw and Pitch to it and use either the Q and E keys for roll, or A and D depending on what you find more comfortable with. Also make sure that "Yaw Into Roll" is disabled and that the "Show Mouse Widget" is turned on.
Also you'll want the Power Management keys close-by, and the arrow keys are too far for that: I have mine bound as SYS=F1, ENG=F2 and WEP=F3, which are much easier and faster to access.

Scapulor
Nov 21, 2005

The man with the magic scapulae
Pillbug

Aramoro posted:

So I think I've powerplayed a little, I got 130 loyalty points for Hudson in military strikes. It seems really vauge as to when you get the credit for them, doesn't seem to be last blow or anything just at random. Anyway have I got this right that in 3 days I'll 'spend' 100 of my saved up points and become rank 2 for a week?

Not quite. Take your points to the nearest Hudson control system, dock, and check the contacts page for your powerplay contact. Make sure to turn in your points there to get your merits before Wednesday night, or they disappear without you getting any credit for them.

You'll be at rank 2 for a week, but the next week you'll only need 65 merits or so to maintain that rank, since you get to keep half of your earnings from the previous week. Your rank 2 credits/salary are available at the end of the first whole week you spend at rank 2.

Also you get 10 points per ship killed in a military strike, as of the instant the ship explodes. You don't have to get the killing shot, you just have to do some damage to it soon before it dies.

If you have an interdictor and a sock to poop in, you can get 30 merits for every kill of a powerplay npc in any enemy control system, and get rank 5 in a week or two. Beware burnout with this method though.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
Fuuuck need to get to my full merits for the week

Also somehow haul that copper and get into that station building

So yes there's always SOMETHING to do in the game if you give a poo poo about reading any sort of bar, you just have to think that's a fun thing to do.

e: I was going to put a dict on my Clipper and hunt npcs but I literally cannot find a HOSTILE system because I am a gigantic idiot.

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Oct 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Scapulor posted:

Not quite. Take your points to the nearest Hudson control system, dock, and check the contacts page for your powerplay contact. Make sure to turn in your points there to get your merits before Wednesday night, or they disappear without you getting any credit for them.

You'll be at rank 2 for a week, but the next week you'll only need 65 merits or so to maintain that rank, since you get to keep half of your earnings from the previous week. Your rank 2 credits/salary are available at the end of the first whole week you spend at rank 2.

Also you get 10 points per ship killed in a military strike, as of the instant the ship explodes. You don't have to get the killing shot, you just have to do some damage to it soon before it dies.

If you have an interdictor and a sock to poop in, you can get 30 merits for every kill of a powerplay npc in any enemy control system, and get rank 5 in a week or two. Beware burnout with this method though.

I've cashed in my points so I've got 130 stored in my rank screen. I was just doing the military strikes to try out various fitting for my Viper, I can't decide between 2x Pulse Laser 2's and 2x Multicannon 1's or 2x Multicannon 2's and 2x Beam Laser 1's

• Locked thread