Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

gonadic io posted:

Does Clojure have static type checking yet?

you can do type annotations and it can use those to statically determine types in your program, and you can make the compiler warn anytime it has to use reflection to resolve a call

so not really, but close

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

Barnyard Protein posted:

"poo poo" made it out in the comments of one of our public source releases, now we run source files through a filter when doing a release. we have a text file full of all the most heinous, dirtiest cuss words.

Oh my god an adult programmer cussed in an obscure technical document, the good name of oracle/microsoft/google/corporate behemoth is now tarnished forever :(

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Eh, Ive seen checked in and deployed code that had a 400 response come back with "gently caress you" in the body. I guess some developers need rules. :P

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
I cuss you bad

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

555 pages of poo poo

-everyone's commit history

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

triple sulk posted:

555 pages of poo poo

-everyone's commit history

I have a lot of commit messages in personal repos that are some variant of "some poo poo that doesn't work or maybe even compile" as the head of a branch

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Dessert Rose posted:

I have a lot of commit messages in personal repos that are some variant of "some poo poo that doesn't work or maybe even compile" as the head of a branch

i have something like this in my bashrc:

code:
alias wip="git add .; git commit -m 'wip'; git push"

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I have plenty of commit messages that are many times longer than the commit itself. E: found an example

MononcQc fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Oct 26, 2015

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

CommunistPancake posted:

you can use clojure if you're ok with a lisp

clojure is untyped

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

gonadic io posted:

Scala doesn't have operator soup as long as you don't use scalaz

scalaz has abandoned operator soup

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

im the deploy from sotoyamashita

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Jabor posted:

im the deploy from sotoyamashita

loving SPICY HALF-DONE RAINCOAT MEMES

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Soricidus posted:

but grapes and what i guess is probably oden don't have an is-a relationship with poo? it makes no sense

it's dango not oden

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Dessert Rose posted:

you can do type annotations and it can use those to statically determine types in your program, and you can make the compiler warn anytime it has to use reflection to resolve a call

so not really, but close

as a known Lisp Liker, what do you think about clojure in general?

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

MononcQc posted:

I have plenty of commit messages that are many times longer than the commit itself. E: found an example

i used to write at most a paragraph but then somebody at work used a message with bullet points. while that particular commit was garbage because it was too much, it clicked and i realized i could just write as much as I needed

now some of my commit messages have example code in them

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Brain Candy posted:

i used to write at most a paragraph but then somebody at work used a message with bullet points. while that particular commit was garbage because it was too much, it clicked and i realized i could just write as much as I needed

now some of my commit messages have example code in them

While our commit messages aren't particularly detailed (because we mostly use SVN for just undoing our own fuckups during development), we have what is essentially an external project management tool that we maintain in house in which we track and document what we're developing. There's a bunch of different types of notes (such as an end-user description of changes, QA instructions, etc) in the "ticket" you use to track a particular bit of development (you can probably think of these tickets similarly to a branch in a less mumpsy setting). It's long since become the culture around here that only scrubs leave less than 2 pages of documentation. Ideally, somebody should be able to read your notes and know not only what you did and how it works, but how it fits into the larger software, what the motivations for the change were, anticipated pitfalls of your approach, and any background research that would be needed to understand all of the above.

Basically, if you can't write all that down in clear language, chances are you haven't thought through the problem enough to be writing code anyway.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I am currently marveling at the fact that the css I wrote is working. amazing.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Shaggar posted:

I am currently marveling at the fact that the css I wrote is working. amazing.

yeah i feel that way every day

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I like how everyone has admitted that Microsoft was right about the box-model but you still have to set it up in css every time. thanks web "standards" retards.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
css is truly the worst

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Shaggar posted:

I like how everyone has admitted that Microsoft was right about the box-model

ajax too

i'm glad i skipped web dev between dhtml and html5

- everyone is now using the ie box model. people aren't using floats.
- people use tables, but with different tags for table rows and columns now: div/span
- you can set different table layouts with responsive queries
- i hear flexbox is nice

and apparently rendering html before sending it to the browser is back in fashion

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

css is truly the worst

browsers too.

they had all of this nice stuff in css planned out but it turns out that actually implementing the mechanics of css took forever

read the thesis some time it's kinda interesting and cranky http://people.opera.com/howcome/2006/phd/

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

tef posted:

ajax too

i'm glad i skipped web dev between dhtml and html5

- everyone is now using the ie box model. people aren't using floats.
- people use tables, but with different tags for table rows and columns now: div/span
- you can set different table layouts with responsive queries
- i hear flexbox is nice

and apparently rendering html before sending it to the browser is back in fashion

slowkit and failfox are responsible for the terrible state of the web because they picked bad standards and everyone supported them

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

Brain Candy posted:

as a known Lisp Liker, what do you think about clojure in general?

it solves one of the main practical problems with lisps, i.e. you have to invent your own wheels for everything. because it runs on the jvm you get the benefit of all the Java libraries that already exist. your work is reduced to writing a lispy wrapper around them

the concurrency model is really cool and makes a lot of sense. rich is a super smart dude and has a lot of fantastic ideas about the language, and knows when to trade purity / power for pragmatism; hence the existence of alternate sigils to describe vectors or maps, and his stance on user defined reader macros

the tooling is improving by leaps and bounds, cider is really shaping up, they have actual debugging support a la edebug in the latest builds (it isn't all the way there yet but the dude making it has feature parity with edebug as his goal) and just in general I find that the integration with emacs is really solid already.

my only real complaint is still startup time, which is gross and makes it hard to use for small scripts. it's fine if they run in the background because you won't notice but like a shell command having a start time measured in seconds is clearly not optimal. there are a lot of hacks around this but they are even more gross than the startup time

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Dessert Rose posted:

it solves one of the main practical problems with lisps, i.e. you have to invent your own wheels for everything. because it runs on the jvm you get the benefit of all the Java libraries that already exist. your work is reduced to writing a lispy wrapper around them

this is why i gave up on getting much done in common lisp, even though i like the language a lot.

quote:

the tooling is improving by leaps and bounds, cider is really shaping up, they have actual debugging support a la edebug in the latest builds (it isn't all the way there yet but the dude making it has feature parity with edebug as his goal) and just in general I find that the integration with emacs is really solid already.

did lighttable ever turn into anything viable? it always looked really cool but never as usable as cider.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
don't really see the need for light table given Atom has basically the same niche locked down.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
that niche being garbage editor built on a dumpster stack.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Hell yeah payday

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

that niche being garbage editor built on a dumpster stack.

i also use a jetbrains product.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Valeyard posted:

Hell yeah payday

nice

when you get to the place I am in life, payday doesn't matter. money gets siphoned out of your account at such a constant and huge rate im equally poor every day of the week

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

jony neuemonic posted:

did lighttable ever turn into anything viable? it always looked really cool but never as usable as cider.

idk I keep looking at it and not seeing anything that emacs+paredit+cider doesn't get me. but then the only time I edit code outside emacs is when I want something I can only get from an ide like Xcode/vs (or more accurately something I'm too lazy to get working in emacs)

like yeah the playground-esque thing looks cool, but when I can just hit a key chord and get the current expression's result in the repl window, that's really all I want anyway

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Stringent posted:

it's dango not oden

are you sure? the glyph in the image looks like U+1F362 ODEN to me, not U+1F361 DANGO

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican

Soricidus posted:

are you sure? the glyph in the image looks like U+1F362 ODEN to me, not U+1F361 DANGO

valid question. also gently caress you nerd

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

if it makes you feel any better, and it shouldn't, it was an oden, but now that I see it a dango would have been a better fit for bear poop

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

pepito sanchez posted:

valid question. also gently caress you nerd

a yosposter nerdshaming another yosposter is like a dude who fucks chickens claiming to be better than a dude who fucks sheep

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican
naah it was more meant like a "oh you got him/me. interesting *sips java*"

all is meant with a grain of love, even ye olde fu

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
posting on the versatile timer page

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

pepito sanchez posted:

naah it was more meant like a "oh you got him/me. interesting *sips java*"

all is meant with a grain of love, even ye olde fu

ah ok, I'll get off my high horse and chill with some nice hot chocolate then

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

:coffeepal:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Vanadium posted:

web development is good b/c there's no good native gui frameworks out there and at least you have the excuse of well this is as much as the browser lets me do

actually, wpf is perfect

• Locked thread