Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

jivjov posted:

Putting the Time Lords into the same pantheon as Cthulhu is a brilliant idea.

All powerful Alien beings that are either ignorant or ambivalent to those they crush with every step, yep. Which makes the Doctor Unique because he actually wants to help people, but the natural arrogance of his people clouds him sometimes.

Chokes McGee posted:

We can't just wake Cthulhu up! There's paperwork involved! And hats! :mad:

e: Seriously though it's right there. Omega/Rassilon used some sort of weird orby thing to communicate to "lesser races" in the past and it got interpreted as Yog-Sothoth. Because Time Lords Don't Interfere<tm>, they're locked outside known time and space.

Boom.

Well, if you want to get into stuff not written by Lovecraft, the Outer Gods/Old ones (Ctlhulhu, Azaoth, Yog-Sothoth etc) warred with the Elder Gods which could easily be seen at the Time Lords. Source materials all suggest that the early Time Lords looked at anyone else who could challenge them and stomped them in the face until they weren't a threat anymore. So a race, or singular beings on the level of the Outer Gods would be something that the Time Lords would go to war with.

I'm pretty sure the Nestine Intelligence was said to be a spawn of Yog-Sothoth.

There's actually a Cthulhu Mythos being that is basically a Doctor Who episode just waiting. Glaaki http://lovecraft.wikia.com/wiki/Gla'aki
It lives in England, it has undead servents, lives in a lake, always looking for more people to serve it. Bam, Doctor Who episode.
Eihort also could be a Doctor Who episode http://lovecraft.wikia.com/wiki/Eihort

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

twistedmentat posted:

I'm pretty sure the Nestine Intelligence was said to be a spawn of Yog-Sothoth.

Shub-Niggurath, actually

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

If an episode is ostensibly ABOUT race and history in the way that Remembrance of the Daleks is then I imagine it's important to acknowledge the racial makeup of the cast. Any other time, though? Screw accuracy, diverse cast representation is more important and valuable for children.

Doctor Who has been a historically inaccurate fantasy series for actual decades.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

The Master is pretty similar to Nyarlathotep.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

remusclaw posted:

After Missy, Idris Elba should play the Master.

One of Nyarlathotep's many forms is of an insanely handsome and noble looking African man.

Ah that makes sense. Though stuff from books has to be taken with a grain of salt. The whole idea of Looms is incomparable with what we've seen in the show, unless the Looms work differently as they've been described in the books. Though the idea that when Four was sent to Skaro to prevent the Dalek's creation by the High Council of the Time War does make sense.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Episode basically scuppered in the last act with fire-breathing Prince John.

Astroman posted:

I also don't think the dumbing down of Doctor Who into a historically inaccurate fantasy is something to be celebrating. :(

I don't think this is a good battle to fight.

I think you have to keep this sort of thing in perspective. What's the episode trying to do here? What's being conveyed?

The Doctor's casual racism towards Martha is important to the episode - amongst other things, it's one of the ways in which we can tell the Doctor isn't himself and is in danger of losing himself to be this other, somewhat lesser, person. It matters that Martha is black and that people notice she is black.

The villagers appear for, what, a couple of minutes of screentime? They are largely incidental to the story beyond witnessing the attempted hanging and dying in droves to the fireballs. It doesn't matter that some of them are black or Asian, and I think adding in a depiction of racism would muddle an already confused story about the value of human life.

Funnily enough it's just like the Kilrathi. The lion alien was also completely irrelevant and distracted from the real stakes (how similar are Ashildr and the Doctor?).

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

remusclaw posted:

Nyarl is busy trolling Japanese teenagers.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Crusader posted:

Is there a good (as in the opinions seem generally sane) review site for BF audios? I haven't listened to any on a regular basis for some years now (like... since 2008 I guess), and I'm not sure what I should check out that's come out in relatively recent times.

I've never found a good place, but for the past year or so I was writing my own mini reviews of stories I listened to, mostly so I could remember what they were about it they came up. I've gotten pretty burned out on Big Finish lately, so I stopped around May or so. The few reviewers that are out there tend to be pretty sycophantic, so I've got no idea what's good recently.

I just put all the ones I've done up here if you want to take a look.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Crusader posted:

Is there a good (as in the opinions seem generally sane) review site for BF audios? I haven't listened to any on a regular basis for some years now (like... since 2008 I guess), and I'm not sure what I should check out that's come out in relatively recent times.

The OP has reviews that Jerusalem and I have written for this thread, with the focus on older stuff for the most part.

Now, will he or I review this?

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/k9-to-battle-omega-in-movie-timequake-77281.htm

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Good idea or terrible idea, Sean Pewtree as the 3rd Doctor?

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

twistedmentat posted:

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Rochallor posted:

I've never found a good place, but for the past year or so I was writing my own mini reviews of stories I listened to, mostly so I could remember what they were about it they came up. I've gotten pretty burned out on Big Finish lately, so I stopped around May or so. The few reviewers that are out there tend to be pretty sycophantic, so I've got no idea what's good recently.

I just put all the ones I've done up here if you want to take a look.

CobiWann posted:

The OP has reviews that Jerusalem and I have written for this thread, with the focus on older stuff for the most part.

Now, will he or I review this?

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/k9-to-battle-omega-in-movie-timequake-77281.htm

Thanks!

I think I'm going to try these to start with:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

...the hell?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Weakest of the season so far just because there's not much adventure here and not much to make up for it.

I think this episode had potential to be good if Me wasn't so robotic and if the villain wasn't such a lame basic badguy. And the sentiment was okay (how does the doctor deal with immortality and some of the reasons he travels with humans) but kind of drawn out too long before we got to the plot device of the week.

I mean poo poo, if Me was so smart she should've seen what could go wrong accepting space portals from strangers.

The season is still so much better than last one, which I think I will advise people interested in the series to skip at this point. Nothing feels as lame and pointless and just completely unpleasent as Robot of Sherwood or Caretaker.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

twistedmentat posted:

Yeeeeaaaars ago he wasn't too interested in the idea. But I know of late

that he's warmed up to the idea. And rumor is he can do his father's voice perfectly.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I think my only problem with the episode was that it repeated its thesis too many times in the conversations between Ashildir and the Doctor. Also Lady Me sounds really dumb, it makes sense that Ashildir calls herself that, but to make everyone else do so, nah.

Still, the concept was amazing.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Acne Rain posted:

The season is still so much better than last one, which I think I will advise people interested in the series to skip at this point. Nothing feels as lame and pointless and just completely unpleasent as Robot of Sherwood or Caretaker.

I'm not too sure to be honest; I thought series 8 had some pretty killer episodes (Flatline, Mummy, Time Heist), but on the flipside, absolute cack like KTM and Forest of Night. Whereas this series, only Under the Lake really did anything for me - I've found the rest either kinda dull, or blandly acceptable. :shrug:

I'm hoping it picks up for the remaining half of the series.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Oct 26, 2015

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

twistedmentat posted:

Ah that makes sense. Though stuff from books has to be taken with a grain of salt.

Stuff from the show has to be taken with a grain of salt

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

CobiWann posted:

I believe they were looking for reviews for more of the recent stuff, and I know for myself at least I've only really done the first 100 or so Big Finish audios - I haven't even gotten up to the first Dark Eyes yet!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

happyhippy posted:

And it would be amazing to see Sam Swift in a future future episode, but hes dead serious and wants to help mankind for his past sins.

No, no. He needs to have used centuries of experience, materials and techniques to become an amazing comedian.

Have him be like Calculon, and after recorded visuals became a thing he started getting his appearance altered to lower suspicion. He is really each comedic era's greatest contribution.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Overnights: 4.34 million, 20% share, behind Strictly and X Factor, comfortably clear of Casualty. Looks like this is the new normal.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Acne Rain posted:

yknow the doctor HAS met Satan, why hasn't there been an episode about the Doctor vs the Elder Things, lovecraftian unknowable things from beyond the veil would fit in with the current show so well. I mean flatline and some other monsters of the week have some lovecraft shades but straight up saying, "yeah we're doing lovecraft things this episode, Doctor is meeting the Yith" or something would be pretty cool.

Question: are we talking Derleth "Lovecraftian" ('Cthulhu mythos', pantheon of great old ones, good vs evil, etc) or Lovecraft "Lovecrafian" (amoral uncaring universe beyond our comprehension).

(Assuming you're not just talking about "elder things" in particular, which are the pentagonal dudes from At The Mountains of Madness)

I mean, eg for the former,

twistedmentat posted:

Well, if you want to get into stuff not written by Lovecraft, the Outer Gods/Old ones (Ctlhulhu, Azaoth, Yog-Sothoth etc) warred with the Elder Gods which could easily be seen at the Time Lords.

This poo poo is bad and boring

twistedmentat posted:

There's actually a Cthulhu Mythos being that is basically a Doctor Who episode just waiting. Glaaki http://lovecraft.wikia.com/wiki/Gla'aki

This one's from a story by Ramsey Campbell that is little except rubbish.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

As long as you're not talking about just licensing the Arkham House stuff then there are a huge huge number of "Lovecraftian" stories (in the Lovecraft sense).

Tomb, Fury From The Deep, The War Games, The Pyramids of Mars, The Seeds of Doom, The Image of the Fendahl, Enlightenment and The Curse of Fenric (off the top of my head) are all stories that I'd say have elements that would sit fairly happily within Lovecraft's writings other than the Doctor turning up and sorting things out.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Question: what's the best way of watching Marco Polo: finding a recon somewhere or just listening to the audio soundtrack?

I'm trying to watch the first classic series and I've got there and I'm not entirely sure what the best way of continuing on is, so I figured I'd ask here. There's an official recon on one of the DVDs but that's only half an hour long and I'd rather see the whole thing

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Look for a recon, if I recall correctly there were a huge number of telesnaps taken for the shoot (which the director didn't find until decades later while going through his attic!) so you don't get stuck with a small handful of low-res or photoshopped images.

Also the set design/costumes for the episode looked pretty loving great.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Did I miss something when Lady Me said "who would believe that a woman changed the tide of the Hundred Years War?" Because I'm pretty sure that's the one with Joan of Arc.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

If you want the Doctor vs. Cthluhu, there's always this novel

which also features Sherlock Holmes. It's got an audio adaptation coming this December. I enjoyed it, but then I enjoyed most of the Seven/Ace/Benny line of books.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

MrL_JaKiri posted:

As long as you're not talking about just licensing the Arkham House stuff then there are a huge huge number of "Lovecraftian" stories (in the Lovecraft sense).

Tomb, Fury From The Deep, The War Games, The Pyramids of Mars, The Seeds of Doom, The Image of the Fendahl, Enlightenment and The Curse of Fenric (off the top of my head) are all stories that I'd say have elements that would sit fairly happily within Lovecraft's writings other than the Doctor turning up and sorting things out.

Yea I'm not talking about straight up adapting Lovecraft stories into Doctor Who episodes, but use their elements to create a Doctor Who story.

Doctor arrives in England at some point. Locals talk about how the village down the road is a bit weird, they go investigate, find out everyone there kind of goes about tasks mechanically just to maintain a sense of normality. The Doctor and Companion investigates, figures out whats going on, they stop some new person from being turned into slave and defeat the monster freeing to towns people. There, we have a story.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Question: are we talking Derleth "Lovecraftian" ('Cthulhu mythos', pantheon of great old ones, good vs evil, etc) or Lovecraft "Lovecrafian" (amoral uncaring universe beyond our comprehension).

(Assuming you're not just talking about "elder things" in particular, which are the pentagonal dudes from At The Mountains of Madness)

This poo poo is bad and boring

Exactly. When you add a good vs evil to Lovecraft stories you loose the impact of the great and uncaring void in which we hang. The idea of the Time Lords vs the Outer Gods was just me spitballing story hooks, I never liked any of that, Dereltih was the Brian Herbert of Lovecraft.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Stuff from the show has to be taken with a grain of salt

Doctor Who continuity is only out done by Simpsons in its meaningless.

Cleretic posted:

No, no. He needs to have used centuries of experience, materials and techniques to become an amazing comedian.

Have him be like Calculon, and after recorded visuals became a thing he started getting his appearance altered to lower suspicion. He is really each comedic era's greatest contribution.

I was histories greatest comedians; Jonathan Swift, Eddie Cantor, Lenny Bruce, Sam Kinison, Dane Cook!

Sean Pewtree would probably do it if he was asked, for like a Christmas Special. Not holding my breath though.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

The best Cthulhu story is the one where they ram him in the head with a boat.

fake edit: looked it up, it's the Call of Cthulhu. thought so but I wasn't sure

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

McDragon posted:

The best Cthulhu story is the one where they ram him in the head with a boat.

fake edit: looked it up, it's the Call of Cthulhu. thought so but I wasn't sure

That's the only Cthulhu story :v:

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Didn't either the New Adventures or some of the later Big Finish stories try to tie up Fenric and some other guys with the Cthullu mythos? I have vague memories of somebody talking about how they did a piss poor job of it.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MrL_JaKiri posted:

That's the only Cthulhu story :v:

Look if we're judging by that standard then we'd have to throw out Cthulhu being a squidhead and other things that happened after Lovecraft and then no one would recognize the stories!

Good. Let's do that.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

MrL_JaKiri posted:

while all of these technically have classic lovecraft elements, a major factor of his work was an atmosphere and tension that isn't really compatible with DW.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Attitude Indicator posted:

while all of these technically have classic lovecraft elements, a major factor of his work was an atmosphere and tension that isn't really compatible with DW.
Mostly by value of the Doctor himself. Hard to have that feeling when the main source of unknowable godlike power is entirely benevolent.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Alongside the racism which obviously doesn't fit DW, Lovecraft's stuff is very nihilistic. We're all doomed to be devoured or driven mad by forces beyond our comprehension, and all our morality and civilization and intellect means nothing in the face of the eternal chaos. While Who sometimes brings up powerful beings and forces greater than humanity, at heart there's a sense that goodness and decency matter.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
So you're saying this would be a job for Joseph Lidster?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Toph Bei Fong posted:

If you want the Doctor vs. Cthluhu, there's always this novel

which also features Sherlock Holmes. It's got an audio adaptation coming this December. I enjoyed it, but then I enjoyed most of the Seven/Ace/Benny line of books.

This is a top notch novel, highly recommended.

Also that K-9 movie sounds pants on head retarded. Omega? Really?

Only way I'd watch is if he was played by Peter Davison. :colbert:

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

That's a strange way to adapt a Kurt Vonnegut novel.

I hope it has a remixed version of the K9 and Company theme song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Maisie Williams should be next in line for whatever the newest Peter Pan movie reboot thing will be.

• Locked thread