Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I'm trying to get into Street Fighter 4 again and I still don't understand how someone with human reaction speeds and coordination is supposed to pull off these one-frame link combo things. It gets you to do them in the tutorials though so I feel like I'm not playing the game right if I can't do them and I don't want to ask in the fighting games thread because they'll laugh at me for being a scrub and use insane terminology I don't understand

its very inaccessible play guilty gear xrd its got gatling combos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I'm trying to get into Street Fighter 4 again and I still don't understand how someone with human reaction speeds and coordination is supposed to pull off these one-frame link combo things. It gets you to do them in the tutorials though so I feel like I'm not playing the game right if I can't do them and I don't want to ask in the fighting games thread because they'll laugh at me for being a scrub and use insane terminology I don't understand

most of therime youll miss 1 frames because you're being too fast rathehr than slow tbh

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Street Fighter 4 is bad game. Fighting game community is bad crowd.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
The War Z devs are back with another game and another name that will get them sued

http://store.steampowered.com/app/349700/

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

Street Fighter 4 is bad game. Fighting game community is bad crowd.

Yikes.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

sf4 is a good famem but the fighting gsme community is garbage

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

apparently yipes tore his ACL again by saving a dude from the train tracks

cool guy yipes

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

The 1-frame links are just bullshit, don't worry. I like fighting games and I can't do any difficult combos in USFIV.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Just play Guilty Gear Xrd.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

1 frame links aren't v hard after you get the rhythm for them down. justdontwtry and mash the next move as fast as u can because one frame sounds like itis v quick, it's a longer gap than u think

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Stux posted:

sf4 is a good famem but the fighting gsme community is garbage

Name one internet community that isn't garbage. hint: my avatar

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Oct 26, 2015

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
you can play A LOT of sf4 without encountering people that are able to do long combos, at least under 3000 PP, but then again I never really got into any character other than Vega so maybe I didn't noticed.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I played SF4 for a while when they were giving it away for free on Xbox 360 and I didn't have much trouble just transferring the skills I had from playing Street Fighter 2 Turbo in high school 20 years ago. The matchmaking seemed to do a pretty good job of pairing me up with similarly scrubby players so I was okay with that.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
Jump and then kick or get them in the corner and low kick until they die, ultimate strategy happy to help

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

A lot of it is sitting in practice mode and learning how fast you yourself push the button, and then you push the buttons when you know you will land on the one frame that you need.

I knew a cool person who practiced his SF game for like, two hours a day minimum, he made some serious plays, but also missed a lot of obvious recoveries because when you're into a combo you brain fart and forget the basic strategies apparently.

But he was a cool person and not a fighting game community guy, mostly because of his physical handicap, but that also led to the greatest trolling when Couch McGamer plays against "that gimpy guy" and got handed his three losses back-to-back with one of them a perfect victory.

But yeah, SF franchise is the gamer community cesspool. GG is slightly better because all the turbonerds cry "Anime!" and avoid it, despite it being the same levels of spergy in terms of mechanics. You're bound to find more people playing because they like to play fighting games, but they do still have the bad influences in there, too. They're just lower by percentage or something.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

raditts posted:

I played SF4 for a while when they were giving it away for free on Xbox 360 and I didn't have much trouble just transferring the skills I had from playing Street Fighter 2 Turbo in high school 20 years ago. The matchmaking seemed to do a pretty good job of pairing me up with similarly scrubby players so I was okay with that.

Yeah, this. Honestly I found SF4 to be less frustrating than say MKX where it's nothing but unescapable infinite bullshit, forever.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
The SF community cannot possibly be worse than the SSB:M community.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I'm not actually a fighting game player but I'm pretty sure the combos are more muscle memory than reaction time. You're just supposed to practice until the right timing is burnt into the back of your brain and you don't even have to think about it to do it right.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Nasgate posted:

The SF community cannot possibly be worse than the SSB:M community.
It's not, Melee's is the worst.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

is there a thread for emulators? i didn't see one in the first three pages. in any case, i haven't played a game in forever and just now got the hankering to play some older SNES and PS2 titles. figured i'd lurk a thread if it existed to figure out what emulators and ROM to get.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

they might be against rules, not sure

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Abel Wingnut posted:

is there a thread for emulators? i didn't see one in the first three pages. in any case, i haven't played a game in forever and just now got the hankering to play some older SNES and PS2 titles. figured i'd lurk a thread if it existed to figure out what emulators and ROM to get.

Snes9x and pcsx2.

You will have to find everything else :filez:

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

thanks.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

precision posted:

Yeah, this. Honestly I found SF4 to be less frustrating than say MKX where it's nothing but unescapable infinite bullshit, forever.

Yeah, if you wanna talk bad fighting games then it don't get much badder than MKX. What a waste of money that game was.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

raditts posted:

Yeah, if you wanna talk bad fighting games then it don't get much badder than MKX. What a waste of money that game was.

It's terrible honestly, its sad netherrealm hosed up so hard

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I was tempted to give MKX a try out of nostalgia but I'm glad I skipped it. Haven't heard much good said about it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

bloodychill posted:

I was tempted to give MKX a try out of nostalgia but I'm glad I skipped it. Haven't heard much good said about it.

It's a technically decent game with some fairly good character- sorry, kharakter- design, and the 2-3 hours of Story Mode are pretty great because it's stupid and cheezy and fun, like the first MK movie (and MK9), but the netcode- sorry, kode is atrocious and the basic design philosophy of the series is now, essentially, "appeal to Beavis and Butt-head" in gameplay which means that players are rewarded for playing in ways that are not fun.

To be fair that last part is a problem all fighting games struggle with.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

The basic design philosophy of the series is now, essentially, "appeal to Beavis and Butt-head" in gameplay.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
yep that's what i said

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8UniJsTYeY

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Mortal Kombat has never been a real technical fighting game series. It's just now people notice that in a world where more technical fighting games and people being seriously into them are A Thing. That said, I suck at Mortal Kombat X because there is hardly any rhythm to the combat at all.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Princey had a nice character arc in the first and third games, every other game he's just the biggest moron douche to ever live.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Lurdiak posted:

Princey had a nice character arc in the first and third games, every other game he's just the biggest moron douche to ever live.

this prince is technically not the prince from any of the other games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmUYtrov-QY

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Played this over the phone with a friend:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/341800 (Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes)

I was manual guy and he was (somewhat colorblind) defusal guy.
We played about a dozen or so games and only got hung up on the Morse Code (he's not good at dots vs. dashes at ALL :ohdear: ).
All in all though, a great game- even for the manual guy.
You may require a notepad for a few of the modules. Some are self-referential.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

corn in the bible posted:

That's weird since he looks and sounds exactly like the one from the sands of time games.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

corn in the bible posted:

Lurdiak posted:

That's weird since he looks and sounds exactly like the one from the sands of time games.
It's actually the prince from the movie.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

precision posted:

yep that's what i said
You shouldn't have.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I wish PSN had the equivalent of Steam refunds because I purchased MKX solely because the PS4 version had support for PS3 sticks and regretted my purchase the instant I played a single round.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Joe Gillian posted:

Mortal Kombat has never been a real technical fighting game series. It's just now people notice that in a world where more technical fighting games and people being seriously into them are A Thing. That said, I suck at Mortal Kombat X because there is hardly any rhythm to the combat at all.

Yeah, I really hate the Neverrealm style of doing combos, where you have to mash all the inputs in at once then watch your character do the moves, rather than the more intuitive "match the inputs to the animations" style of literally every other fighting game. It wasn't quite so bad in MK9, but was intolerable for me with Injustice and MKX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
Boy oh boy, Watermelon's finally shipping my copy of Pier Solar on Dreamcast. Only two and a half years since their Kickstarter!

Too bad I no longer have a Dreamcast. Literally any other donation I could have made would have resulted in me playing the game way earlier. Why did I loving kick in for this poo poo? This is exactly why I ignore Kickstarter now. I've still got several other projects floating in the wind out there and god knows if they'll ever finish.

Wonder if I can recoup my money on eBay.

• Locked thread