Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stump collector
May 28, 2007

rabidsquid posted:

I think CLG has a rookie ADC they want to try out instead of importing Imp

:drat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
lol

stump collector
May 28, 2007
I feel like this worlds comes down to a series of really bad drafts from good teams. I think the world stage gets to every region's teams in different ways and a lot of teams that are favored end up coming up short through not practicing enough or just not being able to adapt patch to patch. It makes pro league somewhat difficult to predict and i think a lot of it comes down to riot's ridiculous patch cycle. All of the top teams have analyst and coaching positions and I think they should be able to check out the patch notes and immediately know what is strong and what is not. I'm really perplexed that FNC seemingly had good drafts all year and then they lost 2 blue side drafts today. I'm a big fan of teams who can do pick ban right so to see so many awesome teams gently caress it up in this tournament is kinda sad.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Ugh, well that's worlds. SKT is gonna stomp KOO in a wildly unexciting final.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Karnegal posted:

Rather than stomping FNC? lol, kinda screwed either way, so I mean, this event was decided before it started

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

KOO is gonna win it all

Post Alone
Mar 29, 2010

I'm excited for the finals because we have two teams with competent pick/bans and top laners that aren't total mongoloids. It'll also be fun to see the casters hype up - er, that guy.... from that team... uhh.... DECIMATED!!!

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
1. The only thing more shocking to me than this 3 - 0 is LGD's group performance.

2. Can't wait for finals.

Karnegal posted:

I am a huge SKT fan so I wouldn't mind that happening, but I actually think it's going to be competitive. KOO looks pretty darn good to me right now.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Can't wait for Faker to style on KOO with Master Yi or some poo poo.

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty

Libertine posted:

Pretty crazy considering how obviously predictable and how much of a foregone conclusion this entire tournament has been that there weren't more people in the running.

I'm pretty sure the number would be a lot higher if they started counting at the knockout stages. Trying to predict who the gently caress PaiN gaming is gonna sneak a game off of or just how badly TSM were gonna crash and burn is harder to predict. China was also massively overhyped as they are every year

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Servaetes posted:

I think at least for me it was just kinda disappointing that the entire tournament was gonna be SKT going literally undefeated because from a spectator POV it is really really loving boring. Groups were fun to watch however and I'm still baffled how NA started so strong and got swept out so quickly.

The format changed between weeks. In week 1, teams played one game roughly each day. In week 2, teams had to play all 3 of their games against different teams in the same day. Maybe that had something to do with it, maybe the week between rounds gave teams enough time to figure out NA strats.

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010

Shadow225 posted:

maybe the week between rounds gave teams enough time to figure out NA strats.

Yep Azir was banned all day long against C9

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Smeb/MaRin is the hypest matchup of all of Worlds imo because a) top lane has been so important in this meta, b) Korea is better at getting their top laners going than any other region by a mile, and c) Smeb and MaRin have both been playing out of their minds and are my 1a/1b for best players in Worlds. I'm so excited for the inevitable Fiora/Darius matchup.

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

A Stupid Baby posted:

I'm pretty sure the number would be a lot higher if they started counting at the knockout stages. Trying to predict who the gently caress PaiN gaming is gonna sneak a game off of or just how badly TSM were gonna crash and burn is harder to predict. China was also massively overhyped as they are every year

How was China overhyped in season 3 or 4?

E:In both season 3 and 4 a Chinese team made the finals, and until those finals, all of the other Chinese teams were eliminated by other Chinese teams.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Sexpansion posted:

I am a huge SKT fan so I wouldn't mind that happening, but I actually think it's going to be competitive. KOO looks pretty darn good to me right now.

KOO looked good today, but against SKT they have huge mismatches in mid (regardless of who plays) and jungle and everywhere else is a wash. SKT hasn't had to show anything outside of Tahm Kench/Shen support either.

YancyQ
Jan 18, 2008
Grimey Drawer
I missed game 4 of OG vs SKT and game 4 of FNC vs KOO. Could someone please give me a recap?

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
Favourite moment of worlds:

Wildturtle's third Q hit on Imp

It was a wonderful moment of a poo poo player playing like poo poo bonking the gently caress out of a godlike player playing like poo poo and I feel like it sums up this entire worlds 5: experimental bruiser boogaloo nonsense.

E:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Kq1x4qnGJE

It's even better with turkish commentary. Jump to 8:55 because I don't know how to do timestamps in embedded clips

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I declare the juggernaut patch an unequivocal success

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Real tho that WildTurtle Zhonya's was sick as hell.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

AnonSpore posted:

I declare the juggernaut patch an unequivocal success

why'd they add a dota hero to the game.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
oof Febiven's flash into Ashe arrow hurts. Reminds me of when XWX did the same thing on Leblanc. Must be frustrating watching your champ stunned, waiting to die.

In many ways this seemed like a best-case scenario for a foreign team to win Worlds. I wonder what'll happen if LoL solidifies into Brood War-style hegemony. Probably a lot of people simply stop watching. Or maybe we pull an English Premier League and claim that NA LCS is the most "competitive" league in the world, if not the best :v:

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Watching Smeb destroy Huni was a tournament highlight for me. Why in the world would you ever blind pick Riven???

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Philip Rivers posted:

Watching Smeb destroy Huni was a tournament highlight for me. Why in the world would you ever blind pick Riven???

Didn't Smeb blind pick riven in g1 :>

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

rabidsquid posted:

Didn't Smeb blind pick riven in g1 :>

Yup. They even talked about how dangerous it was. And Huni turns around and does it himself. "Let me show you how :smug: " indeed

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Rather than stomping FNC? lol, kinda screwed either way, so I mean, this event was decided before it started

At least we hadn't seen them do that this split yet. Unlike KOO, who SKT already swept.

Besides, the hope was FNC was good enough to take a game or two off SKT. Yeah if FNC somehow scraped by this semi-finals playing this way then it still would not be as good as hoped.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Redmark posted:

oof Febiven's flash into Ashe arrow hurts. Reminds me of when XWX did the same thing on Leblanc. Must be frustrating watching your champ stunned, waiting to die.

In many ways this seemed like a best-case scenario for a foreign team to win Worlds. I wonder what'll happen if LoL solidifies into Brood War-style hegemony. Probably a lot of people simply stop watching. Or maybe we pull an English Premier League and claim that NA LCS is the most "competitive" league in the world, if not the best :v:

If it's a foregone conclusion that SKT or just a Korean team are gonna win Worlds then I can see most people watching the groups for fun games because there will always be fun games in groups then not bothering with the knockouts. Certainly I can see the viewership for the final tanking. I don't think it'll affect the LCS much though, since those can stand alone as fun tournaments in their own right.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Don't know what's in the water in China, but most of those pros need to gently caress off back to Korea and rebuild Samsung and Naijin unless they want to give Faker his third championship next year. They were out-performed by both Taiwanese teams and neither featured any Koreans.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Sexpansion posted:

2. Can't wait for finals.

Really? It seems like no one really cares about it anymore...

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

CODChimera posted:

Really? It seems like no one really cares about it anymore...

LCK is my most watched region, so I'm honestly pretty hyped for it. KOO looks much better than the last time they played SKT, I think it will be awesome.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
gently caress, I wanted Fnatic to win, but I'll still be there to raise a glass to GorillA and Smeb in the finals. Go KOO!

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Someone posted a piece from Summoning Insight where Monte makes a possibly pertinent point: the format of OGN is vastly more favorable for preparing teams for Worlds than the LCS format. Since OGN is focused so heavily around BO5 matches, teams gain a lot more training for it, especially with regards to draft picks. I admit to liking the OGN format a lot more, since each game after the first plays off of the previous one, which makes the day feel a lot more cohesive. What're peoples thoughts? Is the LCS format part of the problem?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
LCS is PART of the problem. Koreans take things a lot more seriously in general too, their solo queue is basically a feeder system into their professional teams, while NA's solo queue is just a feeder system into CLG's bench.

Other things OGN does better than Riot:
Production
Sound Proof Booths
Making games feel worthwhile
Analysis
Making Organizations feel important

Granted OGN has been doing esports for years, but you'd think they would put a 10th of the effort that Korea did into these things since LCS is basically the premier league and their biggest source of views.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

Vermain posted:

Someone posted a piece from Summoning Insight where Monte makes a possibly pertinent point: the format of OGN is vastly more favorable for preparing teams for Worlds than the LCS format. Since OGN is focused so heavily around BO5 matches, teams gain a lot more training for it, especially with regards to draft picks. I admit to liking the OGN format a lot more, since each game after the first plays off of the previous one, which makes the day feel a lot more cohesive. What're peoples thoughts? Is the LCS format part of the problem?

Yeah absolutely. Spending most of the year playing only Bo1s leaves NA and EU teams with not only considerably less games played, but also a massive deficit in terms of learning how to adapt to and outwit other teams over the course of a series.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Wol posted:

Yeah absolutely. Spending most of the year playing only Bo1s leaves NA and EU teams with not only considerably less games played, but also a massive deficit in terms of learning how to adapt to and outwit other teams over the course of a series.

And it rewards cheese really hard.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Sexpansion posted:

LCK is my most watched region, so I'm honestly pretty hyped for it. KOO looks much better than the last time they played SKT, I think it will be awesome.

Yeah fair enough. I'm not sure KOO is looking good enough to be a real threat to SKT but then again none of the teams have....

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

Wol posted:

Funnily enough, it also leaves other regions confused when worlds groups happen and suddenly they have to play BO1 for the first time in their life.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
One of the big advantages of esports is that the players can actually play more than one game a day without being pushed to their physical limit by doing so, so the idea of doing best of 1s at all just baffles me.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
You could list a billion different things, but in the end there's just nothing there for the West to get ahead. Fewer players, less competitiveness in the player pool that does exist, and KR has a decades-long head start. It's like asking why the US isn't a major power in soccer. Why would it be? Unless a western region somehow gets an edge that Korea doesn't have, nothing's going to change in the short-to-medium term.

Now, the LPL doesn't have any excuse. But I'm pretty confident it'll regain it's rightful second place :china:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I mean obviously it would have been nice to have a team that could actually challenge SKT and all but I'm still looking forward to the finals.

I also hope someone from Riot puts out a long rambling post on Reddit about how LCS format is better because Riot is always right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Personally I'm more into esports that Koreans are bad at like hearthstone, dota 2, counter strike, any fighting game, basically all of them I guess. I also enjoy MMA, where Koreans, in fairness, do have the objectively best fighter with the objectively best face.

• Locked thread