Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
How difficult is it to make map mods? People, myself included, often talk about how the game slows down on their terrible computers after a few centuries. Is it "practical" to make, say, a mod that is just France or the HRE (with maybe twice the province number) and turn it into a self contained game? You could even have the "invasions" be done by off-screen adjacent kingdoms attacking you every now and again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

About nomadic settling. I did this once and later the horde came and steamrolled me after. I though about purposefully splitting up the khaganate by granting independence to some clans and fracturing the steppes into a buncha different hordes right before settling. Does this work?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Fun, fun, fun. Been getting back into the game after time out with a Haesteinn Stomps Ireland game. Took Ulster, gave it to a Godi, then turned Catholic and later got her to convert. She promptly became an Archpriestess and, as my only Bishop-ranked religious personage, my candidate for the College. Which she got into. So, I'm just about 30 years into the game and I already have a female Papal candidate who got there without any kind of shenanigans.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

I'd agree, but my Rise of Islam mod was going to remove Scandinavia and add some more provinces on the Arabian Peninsula so I can't really talk poo poo about that. :shrug:

You monster. On the other hand I feel I can at least kinda trust you to do it somewhat well, which is more than I can say for most mods.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

What is the point of a Rise of Islam mod if I can't play as the Saami?

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Are there any total conversion mods that are compatible with the game since the latest patch? I'm pretty sure Elder Kings and GoT are still busted.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

FutonForensic posted:

Are there any total conversion mods that are compatible with the game since the latest patch? I'm pretty sure Elder Kings and GoT are still busted.

After The End

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

FutonForensic posted:

The big Warhammer Fantasy one is. They updated it to need Horse Lords for a bunch of factions to work though.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

FutonForensic posted:

GoT's test version (Qohor) works. The major bugs are fixed by the official 2.4.5 patch and the rest are mostly minor. The only one that might be considered game-breaking that I'm aware of is that the White Walkers won't leave after winning a War for the Dawn, but this is only an issue if you're dead set on playing as Wildlings or Night's Watch since you'll be in an eternal war against them.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Autonomous Monster posted:

That's a lot of provinces in Ethiopia :eyepop:

:sbahj:

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Esroc posted:

GoT's test version (Qohor) works. The major bugs are fixed by the official 2.4.5 patch and the rest are mostly minor. The only one that might be considered game-breaking that I'm aware of is that the White Walkers won't leave after winning a War for the Dawn, but this is only an issue if you're dead set on playing as Wildlings or Night's Watch since you'll be in an eternal war against them.

Doesn't that cause endless winter that gets worse and worse, though?

Esroc
May 31, 2010

NewMars posted:

I didn't think about that, but yeah I guess it probably does. Though I've never really noticed it when I've played, so I imagine it's not bad enough to completely wreck the game.

Doc Quantum
Sep 15, 2011

NewMars posted:

Isn't that appropriate for Game of Thrones, though? :v:

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

FutonForensic posted:

Elder Kings is mostly working now, actually.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

How difficult is it to make map mods? People, myself included, often talk about how the game slows down on their terrible computers after a few centuries. Is it "practical" to make, say, a mod that is just France or the HRE (with maybe twice the province number) and turn it into a self contained game? You could even have the "invasions" be done by off-screen adjacent kingdoms attacking you every now and again!

There used to be a No India mod but I think it died for good after Charlemagne broke it. I wish to god we could get that one back.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Haven't the devs repeatedly said that India doesn't actually slow the game down?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Haven't the devs repeatedly said that India doesn't actually slow the game down?

Yes, and they also said here that the game should not slow down after a 2 or 3 hundreds of years, and yet it does happens here :(

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What traits will keep you from being able to convert religions? I was playing as Balaton in TOG start, and a Jewish Khazar splinter took over Bulgaria and settled, so I swore fealty, and then figured that I'd convert over, but I can't seem to. Unless there's some rule I'm missing? I haven't even been asked to convert, but I've seen a couple notices that other characters have converted over at request, though not from the Khagan himself.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I don't think they've said that exactly, no. The official paradox stance seems to be "it runs great on our computers and the difference from adding all those provinces in India is negligible on our computers, so if it's slow for you then buy a real computer."

For those of us who dont have godly CPUs there obviously will be a significant performance loss from vastly increasing the number of landed titles in the game that will snowball as time goes on and more and more pointless courtiers are born.

It is what it is. There's nothing unreasonable about the publisher saying "look, this game will work on midrange systems but it's intended for high end systems" any more than when people complained that Skyrim barely ran on their $89 graphics cards back in 2011.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Oct 26, 2015

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

I don't think they've said that exactly, no. The official paradox stance seems to be "it runs great on our computers and the difference from adding all those provinces in India is negligible on our computers, so if it's slow for you then buy a real computer."

For those of us who dont have godly CPUs there obviously will be a significant performance loss from vastly increasing the number of landed titles in the game that will snowball as time goes on and more and more pointless courtiers are born.

It is what it is. There's nothing unreasonable about the publisher saying "look, this game will work on midrange systems but it's intended for high end systems" any more than when people complained that Skyrim barely ran on their $89 graphics cards back in 2011.

I kinda have to wonder what kinds of cheap-rear end computers people are running this game on if they have major performance issues. I'm using a $400 laptop with integrated graphics and I've played several hundred year long games in the past and the slowdown was minimal if not completely unnoticeable. In that regard I have to side with the devs. Let go of your 486 and step into the future for god sakes.

Esroc fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Oct 26, 2015

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

The Zealous trait keeps you from converting, that's the only one I know of. Pagan religions can't demand conversion before reformation, but I don't know if that applies to Judaism.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
any tips for the norse invasion of England starts?

i feel like after the initial war i should just mass conquer ireland and then focus of reformation

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

jfood posted:

The Zealous trait keeps you from converting, that's the only one I know of. Pagan religions can't demand conversion before reformation, but I don't know if that applies to Judaism.

Hm. I know I'm not Zealous, I checked that because I knew that one was certainly one. Does Proud keep you from converting? I did notice some guys being converted by request, so I don't think Judaism needs to be reformed first, are there traits that will keep your liege from demanding conversion? I don't think he has a sympathy trait, but I don't know what will influence diplomatic demands.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Esroc posted:

I kinda have to wonder why kinds of cheap-rear end computers people are running this game on if they have major performance issues. I'm using a $400 laptop with integrated graphics and I've played several hundred year long games in the past and the slowdown was minimal if not completely unnoticeable. In that regard I have to side with the devs. Let go of your 486 and step into the future for god sakes.

My computer's better than that but the slowdown is very noticeable, by about 200 years in it takes about 15 seconds a month at top speed versus maybe 5 seconds a month 50 years in. So who knows.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
the slowdown is real

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I've noticed a slowdown even just a century into the game, but that sort of slowdown only got pronounced several major patches past when Rajas of India was released. I'd agree with the argument that the addition of India alone has a negligible influence on game speed, but there's something going on somewhere along the line.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
i blame plots with mass coutier invites / interaction

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

'Who to cuck' is the new 'greek balls'.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I guess any crusade is a good crusade, but Pope...I'm not sure if the several hundred thousand men who marched across India and died for this Kingdom was worth it:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Elendil004 posted:

I guess any crusade is a good crusade, but Pope...I'm not sure if the several hundred thousand men who marched across India and died for this Kingdom was worth it:

yeah sometimes it is

ok i get this

but this? it was all owned by the vassalized Knights Hospitallitiers or w/e

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

jfood posted:

'Who to cuck' is the new 'greek balls'.

I can testify that disabling the AI from taking Seduction focus entirely has no noticeable effect on game speed. Which makes sense since only one target can be seduced at a time, so an AI seducer only makes that decision once a month or so.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
The slowdowns usually come and go for me, but I've always suspected that war is the biggest contributing factor... In fact I'm pretty sure I've visibly noticed the game start to chug when a huge empire-wide war breaks out and you suddenly see dozens and dozens of levies raise and start battling each other. I would assume that battles, where calculations have to happen every single day, would take a lot more resources than handling some character event chains or running a bunch of worthless courtiers who never do anything anyway

If this is true, then having a bigger map with more possible wars and raids at any given time should definitely have an effect on performance, it would just depend on how hosed up and unstable your world is

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Eric the Mauve posted:

I can testify that disabling the AI from taking Seduction focus entirely has no noticeable effect on game speed. Which makes sense since only one target can be seduced at a time, so an AI seducer only makes that decision once a month or so.

I've recently wholly readapted the amazonian mod into the messalian religion (so little known about it anyway, why the hell not, eh?) and over a longer period of time I've found anything that was specifically targeted (one decision every few months or years and targeted at only specific titles) works just fine. But god forbid you try to implement decisions or events that are widespread or cover a wide range. I immediately had to turn off the whole "kill any male, that takes a temple or landed title and abdicate to only women" thing, because in my byzantine playthrough that covered hundreds of those decisions over multiple titles all the goddamn time, to the point where 10 years later the game chugged slow as poo poo.

So yea, anything that is targeted, takes time to run its full course, ect. is fine. It's the general purpose decisions and events (such as 'can I castrate within my realm? Plz reconfirm all the time') that really mess poo poo up.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Some where in Bengal, there is a character who is unlanded but every tick assess whether or not to go to war with every character in the game, living or dead. At the same time, he is assessing the women in everyone's courts if they'd make good brides. He's also hard-coded to only be on the seduction focus.

This is why the game slows down.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

catlord posted:

Hm. I know I'm not Zealous, I checked that because I knew that one was certainly one. Does Proud keep you from converting? I did notice some guys being converted by request, so I don't think Judaism needs to be reformed first, are there traits that will keep your liege from demanding conversion? I don't think he has a sympathy trait, but I don't know what will influence diplomatic demands.

Jews are pretty chill in this game. They can't demand conversion at all as far as I know. They're even extremely unlikely to convert their own lands unless they have the Zealous trait.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Honky Dong Country posted:

Jews are pretty chill in this game. They can't demand conversion at all as far as I know. They're even extremely unlikely to convert their own lands unless they have the Zealous trait.

Huh. Maybe I misread something then. I just want to chill with my new liege, is that too much to ask? I handed my grandkid off to be educated but he managed to not get converted by the end of his education.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Honky Dong Country posted:

No, I have seen Jewish lieges demanding vassals convert in a pure vanilla game, and a fair few chaplains reporting success at converting lands/citizens/errant subjects, so Jews definitely can convert. How high is the moral authority for Judaism? I'm pretty sure that also affects how likely anybody is to convert.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Eric the Mauve posted:

There used to be a No India mod but I think it died for good after Charlemagne broke it. I wish to god we could get that one back.

Well, I took a run at it. Removing the provinces themselves is a thirty second fix, but amusingly enough the titles themselves are still there, floating in the ether. Fixing that would take considerably longer; you'd have to scrub the title definitions from landed_titles.txt and all references to them anywhere else. You might be able to get away with just blanking the files for the Indian cultures in history/characters but I doubt it.

Besides, India's only about 15% of the province count: that's significant, but if you have major performance problems it's not going to save you from them.

e: Relatedly, I don't usually play with music on so I never noticed before, but the music for India is really good

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Oct 26, 2015

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Esroc posted:

I kinda have to wonder what kinds of cheap-rear end computers people are running this game on if they have major performance issues. I'm using a $400 laptop with integrated graphics and I've played several hundred year long games in the past and the slowdown was minimal if not completely unnoticeable. In that regard I have to side with the devs. Let go of your 486 and step into the future for god sakes.

I have an i5 with 12 GB of RAM and an old mediocre VGA (Radeon 5770). Not a high end system for sure, but decent enough and probably better than your laptop.

And any game will get very noticeably (annoyingly) slow after 200 years or so. To the point I usually give up because the lag get on my nerves.

Maybe the problem is with something in my machine, but I know Im not alone in this, there is always plenty of people complaining about it here.

super fart shooter posted:

The slowdowns usually come and go for me, but I've always suspected that war is the biggest contributing factor... In fact I'm pretty sure I've visibly noticed the game start to chug when a huge empire-wide war breaks out and you suddenly see dozens and dozens of levies raise and start battling each other. I would assume that battles, where calculations have to happen every single day, would take a lot more resources than handling some character event chains or running a bunch of worthless courtiers who never do anything anyway

In my experience, it seems to be the case.

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Oct 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Clearly the "fix" is to blob yourself over most of the map, so the only war-related slowdown is when you're the one fighting the war and aren't cranking the speed all the way up anyway.

• Locked thread