Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

President Ark posted:

Slightly tightens accuracy on your ranged weapons, which is mostly relevant if you're trying to be accurate with something you can't aim with (mostly Saltzpyre's brace of pistols)

I've found that crouching actually widens my cone of fire reticule on some ranged weapons, which seems super odd.

Also, I just picked up a trinket that lowers poison globule damage by 90% which is kinda nuts compared to the other special-specific ones. Like the packmaster trinket that lowers their damage by a mere 20%, nevermind the fact that most of the damage you take is likely to the horde and not the packmaster itself.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Oct 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

Oh my god

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

drat you. Now I can't get that out of my head.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Vargs posted:

Also, I just picked up a trinket that lowers poison globule damage by 90% which is kinda nuts compared to the other special-specific ones. Like the packmaster trinket that lowers their damage by a mere 20%, nevermind the fact that most of the damage you take is likely to the horde and not the packmaster itself.

I have the same one, it's awesome and basically entirely negates the clouds for you aside from messing up your vision.

Just get ready for your team to start going "Uh Vargs, get out of the poison cloud you loving scrub"

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Saint Freak posted:

If anyone is having trouble try picking a different character. Here's a quick tier list I made:

S+: Dwarf, Soldier
S: Lina, Van Helsing
A: Barkeep, Stage Coach Driver
B: Guys that died instead of blowing the horn
C: Krillin
C-: Kerillian

solo'd 3/4 chains in spooky graveyard with a green sword and shield then one shot packrat hiding behind the door with my blue handgun before reviving everyone else as soldier, agree w/ tier list

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
The game has decided I'm to play bright wizard from now on. Out of the 10 drops I got tonight at least 7 of them were wizard staffs. Of the remaining, I got a flaming sword, an orange set of drakefire pistols, and a blue crossbow for the dwarf.

I just want some gear for Saltspire :saddowns:

Morbidmind
Feb 24, 2013
I've got seven exotic hammer variants for the dwarf. Why can I not craft these into an even better hammer?

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

how the gently caress do you have 7 exotic hammers

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Vargs posted:

how the gently caress do you have 7 exotic hammers

They have my luck with hats, except for hammers.

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker
A goon was saying earlier that the upgrade system decides what kind of weapon to award you based on what items you feed into it, with each item giving a 20% chance of the crafted item being a higher rarity version of itself. It seems like this might be the case, but I haven't really played around enough with it to know, anyone figure out how it works?

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Pitdragon posted:

A goon was saying earlier that the upgrade system decides what kind of weapon to award you based on what items you feed into it, with each item giving a 20% chance of the crafted item being a higher rarity version of itself. It seems like this might be the case, but I haven't really played around enough with it to know, anyone figure out how it works?

It works just like you described in your post.

Put sword in, sword comes out.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
I am now very afraid of feeding all these loving repeater pistols into the forge :(

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Dezztroy posted:

Put five swords in, sword comes out. Put four swords and a repeater pistol in, repeater pistol comes out. :negative:

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Dezztroy posted:

Then you shake it all about.
You do the skaven pokey while the pubbies run around.
And that's what it's all about.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
I don't know if it was broken or just a really bad spawn but a goon group I was in was hit by a literal vermintide on hard White Rat. I would say double to triple the normal spawn rate. We lost horribly but it was a bit of fun.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Uh this game seems pretty sweet. Confirm / deny?

I think I'm gonna go grab it off steam like now.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
^^^ Can confirm it's pretty sweet. There's some subtlety to the way the melee combat works that means skill can make up for common gear. Although if you do find good gear, that may determine what you wind up playing as for a while.

After getting used to the melee combat a bit more I'm beginning to warm up to the rapier. It's okay-ish for swarms, but it's great against storm vermin. Is it me, or do their overhead swings tend to track you ridiculously well?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Zaphod42 posted:

Uh this game seems pretty sweet. Confirm / deny?

I think I'm gonna go grab it off steam like now.
if bugs make you unreasonably angry, deny

if you remain a placid pond during some CTDs or some clipping bugs that kill you instantly, confirm

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Coolguye posted:

if bugs make you unreasonably angry, deny

if you remain a placid pond during some CTDs or some clipping bugs that kill you instantly, confirm

Its only half price and it looks pretty good so I can tolerate some bugs, I think I'll go ahead. Thanks for the head's up on the bugs though.

Seems like you can't have more than one of the same character eh? That kinda sucks. Need some DLC characters :cheeky: (heard they're coming)

Can you play with like 2 people and bots?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Zaphod42 posted:

Its only half price and it looks pretty good so I can tolerate some bugs, I think I'll go ahead. Thanks for the head's up on the bugs though.

Seems like you can't have more than one of the same character eh? That kinda sucks. Need some DLC characters :cheeky: (heard they're coming)

Can. Should? Nah. Just play with Goons. This is a game where communication makes it immensely better.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
Everyone keeps chomping at the bit for new characters, but I really feel like there needs to be a way to make loot a little bit less diluted first. Something like a side-grade to the standard fusion where you get to pick the piece of equipment you want, but it stays at the same rarity level of whatever it is you're fusing.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Slightly more complete answer: Bots, as bots go, are reasonably competent. With one or two exceptions, they stick together well, are exceptionally good at basic melee combat, and are decently responsive to healing needs without being terribly wasteful of healing resources.

The thing is, with those one or two exceptions, they will really leave an impression on you. A few kinds of specials will cause them to chase them to the end of the loving earth, and occasionally their pathfinding will bug out and make them almost helpless against one specific rat bastard, or nonresponsive to your need to be rescued. They also do not perform very well with specific weapons due to some of their quirks, so it is best to give them quick, high-stamina melee weapons and slow, powerful ranged weapons. Bots in play use whatever equipment the host has that particular character equipped with if he were to play them, so this is something you can actually do!

Having played with a lot of co-op bots over many games, I would give them a solid 7/10. They are still more useful than a lot of human players, so that's a pretty ringing endorsement, honestly.

That said, relying on them leads to madness.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Oct 26, 2015

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Dwarf and Soldier are pretty similar, so if you like them and one is taken, you can usually take the other.

Witch Hunter and Elf are also pretty similar, so again, if you like one of them and the other is taken, you usually have a backup.

Bright Wizard is the only 100% unique special flower, and she's always grabbed first, so hopefully you aren't a huge BW fan. Good news though! You probably won't be, she's more complicated/not as visceral as the others, and apparently she falls off kind of hard as you get past Hard difficulty. I'm also going to guess our first DLC character will be another magetype so people who want to play the BW can play something similar when the BW is taken. I'm also sure pubbies running two BW alikes in a Nightmare game won't be an utter catastrophe.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Rookersh posted:

Dwarf and Soldier are pretty similar, so if you like them and one is taken, you can usually take the other.
Except the height thing. I've been playing as WH and Kruber and switched to dwarf with a shield. Just being a tiny bit shorter and blocking some of the vision with the shield made it a lot harder to keep any kind of situational awareness while surrounded by hordes. It was pretty cool. Took maybe a round or two to get used to.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

Rookersh posted:

Bright Wizard is the only 100% unique special flower, and she's always grabbed first, so hopefully you aren't a huge BW fan. Good news though! You probably won't be, she's more complicated/not as visceral as the others, and apparently she falls off kind of hard as you get past Hard difficulty. I'm also going to guess our first DLC character will be another magetype so people who want to play the BW can play something similar when the BW is taken. I'm also sure pubbies running two BW alikes in a Nightmare game won't be an utter catastrophe.
Yeah I've got to the point where I'm doing Nightmare now but as a Bright Wizard its really, really different.

In normal and hard BW is seriously amazing, every click of the mouse killing 2-3 rats depending how they're lined up with my Aqshy staff, eliminating entire hordes by myself as they come around a corner. 360+ clan/slave rat kills on the tome/grimoire maps, most specials, basically getting every award at the end except melee kills and even then sometimes its close.

Now in Nightmare I'm either running a step ahead of everyone and blasting everything ahead until they close into melee, or I'm constantly turned around running backwards to be picking off the stuff from behind us because the way combat works in this the other party members are strafing and dodging constantly and in any close fight I stand an unacceptable chance of shooting party members as they move about. At chokepoints at least I can shoot over the dwarf's head. Even the old reliable 'oh there's a packmaster? Spam firebolts, it only takes 2' is a terrible idea.

Still going to play with it some more and try to get better, as my Aqshy staff is still miles better than my best Conflagration staff (which doesn't do friendly aoe), but it's made the Witch Hunter look more attractive on higher difficulties for sure.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Saint Freak posted:

If anyone is having trouble try picking a different character. Here's a quick tier list I made:

S+: Dwarf, Soldier
S: Lina, Van Helsing
A: Barkeep, Stage Coach Driver
B: Guys that died instead of blowing the horn
C: Krillin
C-: Kerillian

I think you left out most of the skaven over Kerillian.

I like how they call her elf bitch Its the one thing I agree with skaven about.

Magile
May 20, 2008
First off, thanks for all the advice on Shield Dwarf. I've been having a MUCH easier time now that I'm not assuming I should just be holding right-click and doing the occasional left-click while hiding behind my shield.'

As a follow up, I am curious about a few things that I often hear people talking about:
1) A lot of folks say Witch Hunters are very good at deal with swarms. What weapon combinations allow them to pull this off?
2) I've been told that the Empire Soldier has a very strong ranged weapon, but whenever I ask, everyone seems at odds as to which one it is (except for Blunderbuss, everyone hates it). What weapon makes them so stellar at ranged?
3) The Dwarven Crossbow has been very good to me when I'm trying to snipe specials, but I feel like they must have something slightly better. Is there a "best" ranged option for the Dwarf Ranger?

Thanks again for the responses before.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Al Borland posted:

I think you left out most of the skaven over Kerillian.

I like how they call her elf bitch Its the one thing I agree with skaven about.

We had a pub elf earlier get hooked, and the dwarf immediately asked "The elf got hooked, do we want her back?"

As though we needed more reasons to love the dwarf.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I have been having some really bad lag issues with the game. My FPS and performance is fine but I get teleporting rats all over the place. I suspect this has something to do with me being in Iceland and playing with US Goons but I feel like it should not be this bad. It seems to happen in waves too, I get a few second of perfect performance, then I apparently desync and mobs fly all over the place. Any ways to mitigate this?

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Until the game has heat seeking portable turrets the elf is still useful if only for shooting specials while your dwarf and soldier are holding the frontline.

And for getting owned hard by Kruber

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

So I got a 2-handed Warhammer for the Soldier that has "Pushes made with this weapon will be extra powerful". Does that effect the knockback from the charged swings too? Cause drat these rats are going flying a lot more compared to my old green warhammer, I think.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

Magile posted:

First off, thanks for all the advice on Shield Dwarf. I've been having a MUCH easier time now that I'm not assuming I should just be holding right-click and doing the occasional left-click while hiding behind my shield.'

As a follow up, I am curious about a few things that I often hear people talking about :
1) A lot of folks say Witch Hunters are very good at deal with swarms. What weapon combinations allow them to pull this off?
2) I've been told that the Empire Soldier has a very strong ranged weapon, but whenever I ask, everyone seems at odds as to which one it is (except for Blunderbuss, everyone hates it). What weapon makes them so stellar at ranged?
3) The Dwarven Crossbow has been very good to me when I'm trying to snipe specials, but I feel like they must have something slightly better. Is there a "best" ranged option for the Dwarf Ranger?

1) Zweihander is good, rapier also does well actually despite what you might think for crowds.
2) Harquebus, 1-shots specials with a headshot. Soldier and dwarf should carry them at all times imo, although I haven't seen the drakefire pistols that people are cackling about.
3) basically #2.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Demiurge4 posted:

I have been having some really bad lag issues with the game. My FPS and performance is fine but I get teleporting rats all over the place. I suspect this has something to do with me being in Iceland and playing with US Goons but I feel like it should not be this bad. It seems to happen in waves too, I get a few second of perfect performance, then I apparently desync and mobs fly all over the place. Any ways to mitigate this?

Host games and see if it stops.

Yes: You're probably hosed unless they do some netcode optimization.
No: There's something wrong with your computer.

quote:

Unloading with the brace of pistols is a great "oh poo poo" button.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

Magile posted:

Dwarven Handgun (Soldier gets a similar one) I believe is a straight upgrade to the crossbow in that it both does more damage and has the same innate abilities (Armor Piercing + Headshot) as well as serving the same purpose (pinpoint sniping specials). The only downside is that the reload speed is worse than the Crossbow which is alleviated if you happen to get "reloads 50% faster" on a handgun.

But the Crossbow really isn't that bad for what it does.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

President Ark posted:

Host games and see if it stops.

Yes: You're probably hosed unless they do some netcode optimization.
No: There's something wrong with your computer.

I tried hosting once and all the other goons immediately started bitching about lag themselves so I am probably just hosed.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Goddamn is the Handgun (Dorf and Imperial) satisfying to use. Wish I'd find another hammer for Kruber, but this blue Zweihander with killing blow and devastating blow is good enough for now.

Popping two Stormvermin with a single shot is the best thing in the game.

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

Magile posted:

As a follow up, I am curious about a few things that I often hear people talking about :

Witch Hunters have access to zweihanders which can cleave through swarms of rats, and the rapiers uncharged attacks can lock down large groups of skaven so long as you keep on your toes and use the dodge function liberally. As far as ranged weapons go, the pistol bracers is decent for helping thin out swarms, but where they really shine is when you get a swarm near an ammo box and can machine gun down hordes of rats. Repeater pistol with penetration trait can be decent at dropping large groups with the secondary fire.

As far as dwarf and soldier go I don't play them nearly as much so I couldn't say, though for the soldier the harquebus seemed like a very good way of taking out special rats.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

Metos posted:

I haven't seen the drakefire pistols that people are cackling about.

It's like if you gave the Dwarf the Brace of Pistols except instead of ammo, he uses the overheating mechanic from the Bright Wizard. You trade Armor Penetration for Burn and the ability to snipe specials for dealing with crowds. You can stunlock Stormvermin to death, so you're still able to kill them.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Pitdragon posted:

Witch Hunters have access to zweihanders which can cleave through swarms of rats, and the rapiers uncharged attacks can lock down large groups of skaven so long as you keep on your toes and use the dodge function liberally. As far as ranged weapons go, the pistol bracers is decent for helping thin out swarms, but where they really shine is when you get a swarm near an ammo box and can machine gun down hordes of rats. Repeater pistol with penetration trait can be decent at dropping large groups with the secondary fire.

As far as dwarf and soldier go I don't play them nearly as much so I couldn't say, though for the soldier the harquebus seemed like a very good way of taking out special rats.

Brace of pistols + Strength potion is a good way to dump ammo into a rat ogre too.

For the soldier the handgun is generally the best, you use it during low intensity parts to kill specials safely and quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Metos posted:

2) Harquebus, 1-shots specials with a headshot. Soldier and dwarf should carry them at all times imo, although I haven't seen the drakefire pistols that people are cackling about.
3) basically #2.
Drakefires are brilliant. They do about 2/3rds of the damage of the handgun. They do not benefit from head shot though, so realistically you need substantially more hits to bring down a target...but that doesn't matter, because it runs off heat and not ammo, so you have infinite hits. The accuracy sucks so extreme range is out, but mid range is fine since misses basically don't matter.

Unrelated: has anyone tried hagbane arrows against the rat ogre? We had a pubbie do that today and the rat ogre went down surprisingly quickly. That may be due to the rat ogre getting stuck on geometry and allowing our witch hunter to stick a couple crossbow bolts in him for free, so I am not clear on the effectiveness here. But the ogre went down quick enough that I feel like it's worth following up.

• Locked thread