Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe
So for example you could argue the internet would be an example of another utility created by the advances in technology.

I presume you folks don't see insurance as actually adding any value in terms of actual health outcomes right.

Obviously there is disagreement in the country about state provision for such utilities. How would you feel if instead of extending insurance coverage to all, the states role was one to force down costs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Necc0 posted:

Yeah and it's pretty impressive that we're still here arguing the fundamentals of it over 150 200 years later
Gingrich was arguing against child labour laws last time around. Nobody ever learns poo poo.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

sullat posted:

And until germ theory was developed, doctors could spread disease, too.

Doctors are much worse about hygiene habits and preventing disease transmission than you think.

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe

Popular Thug Drink posted:

healthcare has always been a utility, between choosing to live or die, nearly all rational actors choose to live. healthcare is necessary like shelter or food. the problem is that healthcare is usually more expensive than most other basic needs, because anybody can build a house or grow/cook food, but you need to have special skills and equipment to provide quality healthcare, meaning that there's usually more demand than supply, meaning that the wealthy can always get the best healthcare and depending on your context in time/space if you're poor you may be poo poo out of luck

Just coming back to this. Do you think housing and food provision due to technological changes have moved from being a low cost "self provided" utility to being one that is more much closer to healthcare?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

KingFisher posted:

So for example you could argue the internet would be an example of another utility created by the advances in technology.

I presume you folks don't see insurance as actually adding any value in terms of actual health outcomes right.

Obviously there is disagreement in the country about state provision for such utilities. How would you feel if instead of extending insurance coverage to all, the states role was one to force down costs?

The theoretical benefits to insurance are sound, but lack of oversight has allowed insurers to basically skirt the rules regarding reserve fund reimbursement and premium setting--basically allowing them to continue to charge more, pay out less and fight to deny as many claims as possible on technicalities or medical need.

The healthcare question has been solved in actual-civilized nations all over the world--but the reason our governments continues to fight it is that human suffering is incredibly profitable. Because our government really only has corporate interests at heart.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

KingFisher posted:

Access to preventative healthcare adds value to patients who are less likely to need more serious treatments later on.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments
If "things being lovely in the past does not justify keeping them lovely" is not a good enough answer, then I could say right around 1948.

Edit: Geez, moved fast.

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
Fun Shoe

LeeMajors posted:

The theoretical benefits to insurance are sound, but lack of oversight has allowed insurers to basically skirt the rules regarding reserve fund reimbursement and premium setting--basically allowing them to continue to charge more, pay out less and fight to deny as many claims as possible on technicalities or medical need.

The healthcare question has been solved in actual-civilized nations all over the world--but the reason our governments continues to fight it is that human suffering is incredibly profitable. Because our government really only has corporate interests at heart.

Do you think insurance could be the kind of thing software could manage? Like rates and such given rules kind always pay out claims and with known inputs?

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

KingFisher posted:

Thanks Necco so this is sort of utility by choice as each state has the surplus to pay for the newly discovered need for healthcare.

There isn't any "utility by choice," and it doesn't have anything to do with economic surpluses or the idea that health care is a newly discovered need. National health insurance/care systems were rolled out in each country under unique circumstances, mostly related to social and political conditions.

The UK, for instance, prior to the 1940s, had previously relied on a rather recognizable patchy network of what was essentially private insurance organizations and hospitals funded by benefactors who provided services for the poor. The 1942 Beveridge Report basically said "it's a bloody great idea for us to have a national health care system because it's much more efficient than this patchwork and helps us drive down costs, and, in fact, rolling it out for everyone's even more efficient than some ridiculously complex system for just the poor, oh, and it's also the right thing to do because everyone deserves health care". Every single political party agreed that this was a great idea, and three years later, bang, the NHS.

KingFisher posted:

Insurance is incredibly valuable in creating beneficial health outcomes: people with insurance can actually access preventative health care without going broke or crossing their fingers that the hospital will forgive them for running into the ER. Full treatment of many chronic diseases also practically requires insurance so you can have additional time with the health care system frequently required for someone to fully diagnose and treat the cause of the illness, rather than the symptoms.

It'd be awesome if the US government could somehow unilaterally represent the entire nation's health care need — say, by extending insurance coverage to all, and then acting as a negotiator on behalf of hundreds of millions of people — but as it is our state and our health care system is fragmented into pieces that make negotiation difficult at best.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Joementum posted:

Flashback to the time that Harry Reid won another term because the leading Republican suggested healthcare savings accounts and bartering with your doctor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_1U4r8mWXY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZezfjWox5s

The funny thing is that, when people made fun of her for this, her staff claimed that she meant "haggle" or "bargain" instead of "barter".

"Doctor, unless you can treat my heart attack for under $500, I'm going somewhere else!"

It also has one of my favorite nicknames for a political gaffe: Chickens for Checkups

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

KingFisher posted:

Do you think insurance could be the kind of thing software could manage? Like rates and such given rules kind always pay out claims and with known inputs?

I'm pretty sure this is what the Japanese system uses? The cost for particular kinds of procedures is always the same.

EDIT:

KingFisher posted:

Just coming back to this. Do you think housing and food provision due to technological changes have moved from being a low cost "self provided" utility to being one that is more much closer to healthcare?

It did ages ago. The US and many other countries give the poor benefits for food. And in the UK, the same Beveridge Report that acted as the seed for the NHS demanded the government provide "adequate income" and "adequate housing" as well as "adequate health care."

Combed Thunderclap fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Oct 26, 2015

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Combed Thunderclap posted:

The UK, for instance, prior to the 1940s, had previously relied on a rather recognizable patchy network of what was essentially private insurance organizations and hospitals funded by benefactors who provided services for the poor. The 1942 Beveridge Report basically said "it's a bloody great idea for us to have a national health care system because it's much more efficient than this patchwork and helps us drive down costs, and, in fact, rolling it out for everyone's even more efficient than some ridiculously complex system for just the poor, oh, and it's also the right thing to do because everyone deserves health care". Every single political party agreed that this was a great idea, and three years later, bang, the NHS.

Which if I understand correctly, the tories are attempting to gut like a dead pig.

:smith:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Klaus88 posted:

Which if I understand correctly, the tories are attempting to gut like a dead pig.

:smith:

I think you mean gently caress? It's literally the only thing I know about UK politics at this point.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
KingFisher given the tone of concern trolling I think you'd love the singaporean system. People are required to save at least 10% of their income in a tax free combined health/retirement account and forced to use that to pay for healthcare. Of course, the government also sets all the prices and whatnot on a sliding scale based on income.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Joementum posted:

Flashback to the time that Harry Reid won another term because the leading Republican suggested healthcare savings accounts and bartering with your doctor.

For some reason I always think this was Sharon Angle. Mixing up my crazy people that lost winnable elections

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I mean the fact is the necessity of health care was already recognized and formalized before Washington DC existed. The only thing that changed was how to fund it.

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
Fun Shoe

Peven Stan posted:

KingFisher given the tone of concern trolling I think you'd love the singaporean system. People are required to save at least 10% of their income in a tax free combined health/retirement account and forced to use that to pay for healthcare. Of course, the government also sets all the prices and whatnot on a sliding scale based on income.

I'm no concern troll sir, but that Japanese system doesn't sound so bad. Also mandatory savings would probably be good as well.

I am genuinely interested in the discovery of these new utilities and the need for state provision.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments
Why did we need the Enlightenment Era when we had perfectly functional feudalism and monarchy?

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
Fun Shoe

archangelwar posted:

Why did we need the Enlightenment Era when we had perfectly functional feudalism and monarchy?

A very valid question.

Insert that Aztec sacrifice comic here.

I for one am intensely interested in a post-wesphalian system. Any of you luminaries have input on the post liberal-democracy future?

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Good Citizen posted:

Sharon Angle

Oh god

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3LE15AyT5g

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

KingFisher posted:

A very valid question.

Insert that Aztec sacrifice comic here.

I for one am intensely interested in a post-wesphalian system. Any of you luminaries have input on the post liberal-democracy future?

There's not going to be much after the nuclear war that rages in the aftermath of the collapse of cross continent merged democracies in 5700 ad. The spacer worlds are primarily going to be knockoff liberal democracies once each grows large enough to no longer intense cooperation at all times just to stay alive. Eventually the galactic empire rises, but communication and travel limitations mean every subject world is pretty autonomous for the first couple thousand years until substantially improved faster than light travel and near instant ftl communication lines are practical.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Nintendo Kid posted:

There's not going to be much after the nuclear war that rages in the aftermath of the collapse of cross continent merged democracies in 5700 ad. The spacer worlds are primarily going to be knockoff liberal democracies once each grows large enough to no longer intense cooperation at all times just to stay alive. Eventually the galactic empire rises, but communication and travel limitations mean every subject world is pretty autonomous for the first couple thousand years until substantially improved faster than light travel and near instant ftl communication lines are practical.

I'm holding you to this, Fishmech.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Yeah those two and Christine Odonnel always stand out as the 'holy gently caress these people were too crazy to win even in 2010' category.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Talking about crazy whatever happened to Michelle Bachman?

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Hollismason posted:

She retired before being booted out of the House for ethics violations.

Probably off hating that she's a beard.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Good Citizen posted:

Yeah those two and Christine Odonnel always stand out as the 'holy gently caress these people were too crazy to win even in 2010' category.

Oh my lord Christine O'Donnell.

I remember researching Angle and O'Donnell back in 2010 and I still distinctly remember my face shifting from disbelief straight to :wtf:

Hollismason posted:

Retired just in time to duck a bunch of ethics investigations and an FBI investigation relating to the under-the-table financial poo poo that went down during her 2012 presidential campaign. Occasionally pops up on genuinely insane millenarian evangelical media outlets to chat about how whatever new thing is a sign of the End Times.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 214 days!

KingFisher posted:

I'm no concern troll sir, but that Japanese system doesn't sound so bad. Also mandatory savings would probably be good as well.

I am genuinely interested in the discovery of these new utilities and the need for state provision.

*reads your red text*

No, you are a concern troll. Get hosed with your passive-aggressive lines about "the discovery of these new utilities."

While you're at it, go broke due to a treatable but expensive illness.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I didn't know about the ethics violations. Is she still doing Gay Conversion Therapy ?

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Hollismason posted:

I didn't know about the ethics violations. Is she still doing Gay Conversion Therapy ?

Marcus is still running his "Christian counseling clinic" thing, apparently.

I feel like I'm the host of a late-nite "Where Are They Now?" show. It's kind of surreal, seeing all these familiar old faces. We had such good times together. :allears:

I always like the part where they gently caress off into the wilderness and are never seen again the best. All that attention and their national media platform, gone in an instant.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Combed Thunderclap posted:

Marcus is still running his "Christian counseling clinic" thing, apparently.

I feel like I'm the host of a late-nite "Where Are They Now?" show. It's kind of surreal, seeing all these familiar old faces. We had such good times together. :allears:

I always like the part where they gently caress off into the wilderness and are never seen again the best. All that attention and their national media platform, gone in an instant.

http://youtu.be/53OW517_oxM

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Hodgepodge posted:

*reads your red text*

No, you are a concern troll. Get hosed with your passive-aggressive lines about "the discovery of these new utilities."

While you're at it, go broke due to a treatable but expensive illness.

you can always trust redtext :v:

Otoh when the redtext fits the fact that the guy is slyly implying that the poor should die in the streets of treatable diseases... Im honestly curious about the beer heiress bit, in truth

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Joementum posted:

Good flashback.

How's that senate race for Reid's old seat looking now that Sandoval decided not to run?

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

:sigh: Poor guy. Just imagine all the fabulosity that could have been strutting down Commercial Street in Ptown.

EDIT: Also saw the name of someone else we haven't seen in a while...

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I wonder what the numbers would look like if you took medical premiums and expenses and called them taxes. I also wonder what the tax burden would look like if you spread that over the existing progressive tax curve. 6000 premium on a 50k medium salary is a huge burden.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Magres posted:

Otoh when the redtext fits the fact that the guy is slyly implying that the poor should die in the streets of treatable diseases... Im honestly curious about the beer heiress bit, in truth

This is why you always make your redtext a link to a relevant or, if possible, archetypical post! Get with the program, goons!

I try to click on every redtext

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

KingFisher posted:

Can you stop dancing around all this and just come out and say "I want you to die! Die and lower my taxes."

Junkyard Poodle
May 6, 2011

Current HSA's aren't a bad proposition for the young & healthy or wealthy, but it does take foresight. Are they good for everyone or a replacement for ACA? Lol. HSA's are paired with high deductible insurance that usually cover basic preventive medicine.

For young healthy people, the smart thing to do is save/spend out of a personal cash account. Fund the personal account so that it covers ~2 years of max deductibles and replenish at the end of the year. Since you can redeem out of your HSA account for periods outside of the year medical services were paid for, one can accumulate the amount they can draw tax free. Since the monies you put in an HSA is tax deductible, are not taxed when redeemed for qualified medical expenses and allow you to put your money in securities, the most advantages thing to do is treat the account as a long term saving vessel with the tax advantages of both a Roth and traditional IRA rolled into one! Ta-da.

Now, if you own a Private Equity firm and fill your HSA with shares of your fledgling company when it is valued at .0000001 cent per share you'll be on your way to prosperity!!

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
Fun Shoe

SedanChair posted:

Can you stop dancing around all this and just come out and say "I want you to die! Die and lower my taxes."

See above where I advocate for single payer.....

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
Fun Shoe

Magres posted:

Apparently my conviction that people bear some responsibility for the actions of thier elected officials was not looked upon kindly by the goons in the EU thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

KingFisher posted:

See above where I advocate for single payer.....

You didn't advocate for anything, your posts have been the definition of a privileged moron musing without taking a position. Keep it up and you can put on round glasses and work for the new york times.

• Locked thread