Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
regrets to the unbelievers. bow unwilling to your korean gods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Korean teams were only knocked out by other Korean teams. Monte's right, if anyone's serious about winning World's they need to go to OGN.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

i thought ages ago that veigar was op as gently caress and this worlds has finally vindicated my dumb opinion.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Lovechop posted:

insane that every team in the world imported korean sleeper agents that intentionally throw when you get them against real korean teams

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

henkman posted:

The Korean Zombie is cooler

He's nbever going to fight agian

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

njsykora posted:

SKT are gonna go 15-0 undefeated through Worlds and gently caress that's depressing.

nah it's cool to see the game played at its highest level.

it was cool season 3 and season 4, it's cool this season too.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

also lol at the casters reliably predicting powerful results from EU and NA every year.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Work Friend Keven posted:

He's nbever going to fight agian

I know, rip

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

not to be rude, but isn't everyone saying "ugh skt wins how boring" being really rude to skt, who have earned their (speculative) win by being genuinely better than every other team in the tournament/world? there is so little respect or interest for a team who deserves victory, and hasn't cheated or cut corners to achieve it.

what do these players owe to you? you would prefer them to play in such a way that is enjoyable for you, instead of trying to win? what would that prove? would it actually be interesting to you?

to me it seems interesting that one team has understood the operation of the game so deeply, and practiced it so thoroughly.

season 3 was wonderful for this; season 4 was wonderful for this; season 5 looks to be wonderful for this.

i understand you are looking for a situation where more teams have been able to understand the game and practice it, but that is not realistic. this isn't an easy game. nor is it entirely skill-based. the best teams are a combination of skill and luck, to hit the meta at a favorable moment for your comprehension of the game as a team.

people have always loved fortuitous champions.

there doesn't seem so much a condemnation of skt as a resentment toward them, for playing their best and being better than everyone. rather than frowning at the bad teams, it feels like skt is being criticized for being unfairly good. kind of odd.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Not to be rude, but, don't post 14 times in a row.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

yeah some people here have better things to do than read posts on an internet comedy forum sheesh

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
The last time there was any real drama in World Championships was Season 2. Every other win (SKT, Samsung, Potentially SKT) has been a stomp. There's a lot more interesting things going on in the LCS and LCK.

flyingkiwi
Jun 1, 2012

Wowzers!
I'm not bored by SKT winning lots at all. Good for them. They are talented, organized, on another level compared to others and also the only team making tactical substitutions so far which is cool in my opinion. I'd like it if some series would go to 5 games at any point though.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Nobody wants to see SKT play poorly, we want to see someone play on SKT's level.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
Well, that series turned sour fast.

But I don't think the series was really out of Fnatic's hands.They hosed up in the first two games and succumbed to tilt as the series went on. It's a step up from being hopelessly outmatched at least! Hard to say if they'll be able to fix their problems.

As for the finals, at least Marin v Smeb should be interesting. But Kuro's probably going to get dumped on, and Koo probably dont have much chance if they play like they did this series.

nomadologique posted:

Talk about finals disappointment

You gotta remember that while this is an esport it is also entertainment medium and people have different investments and subjective interests in it. And we've had this song and dance for 3 years now - a (probably) very predictable stomp. Some people just want something with drama and a close game, and to say that they should be watching for a particular reason or aspect is silly. The best you can say is that maybe they are missing out, I guess, but that's hardly something to be condemned over.

And I don't think anyone hates SKT for being good - most people think Faker/Marin are cool for what they do and their ability to play different things and do it in a dominating way. But we're able to hold multiple, complex feelings about the finals at the same time! We can still appreciate SKT and wish for a better competitor for them without thinking that they aren't a good team that deserves to be there. Their best moments have been when they have been pushed by the other team. Faker's outplay vs Ryu, Bang's impressive Lucian game, and various Faker 1v5 moments had more meaning because there was a real challenge to the team there.

You say that its always the case that one team is going to be better than the others - do you think its unrealistic to have even 2-3 teams be on a competitive level?

Finally, as far as loving champions - note that people in general have a more complex relationship to winners than just loving them for being the best. Some people want to see them fall, or be beaten by someone stronger, or get upset. This is why we root for the underdog, and why when someone wins too much they can come to be resented. That's not to say its right or wrong, but it is human nature.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
I implied it before but to say that SKT is just dominating in a stale fashion is a rather truncated look at their success and makes it sound like were just born as Korean robots. They weren't. They spent many months as cyborgs until cybernetic enhancements eventually replaced the last organic parts they had left.

If you didn't know how much SKT has improved over the course of Season 5 because you don't watch OGN.... just watch OGN. It's played by really good teams and the casters are knowledgeable and hilarious. I'll admit that the first few times I saw DoA and Monte just drop the subject of the game completely, taking their tangent and forming it into a completely new circle, I was like "what the gently caress kind of casting is this? What about the game?" But it quickly grew on me and I felt foolish for having ever expected them to hold my hand through the inevitably dull bits of the games.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

nomadologique posted:

pretty interesting to watch the other half of hecarim vs. riven. i am really fascinated by watching certain matchups go both ways depending on players (marin and faker are both very good for this).

Fiora is brilliant for this. Fiora v Darius, Riven and GP are all essentially skill matchups as far as I know. There's some random luck involved too when Fiora is against instant stuns, but Fiora v Riven is so much fun to play, and I've won and lost on both sides of it.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Space Flower posted:

I implied it before but to say that SKT is just dominating in a stale fashion is a rather truncated look at their success and makes it sound like were just born as Korean robots. They weren't. They spent many months as cyborgs until cybernetic enhancements eventually replaced the last organic parts they had left.

If you didn't know how much SKT has improved over the course of Season 5 because you don't watch OGN.... just watch OGN. It's played by really good teams and the casters are knowledgeable and hilarious. I'll admit that the first few times I saw DoA and Monte just drop the subject of the game completely, taking their tangent and forming it into a completely new circle, I was like "what the gently caress kind of casting is this? What about the game?" But it quickly grew on me and I felt foolish for having ever expected them to hold my hand through the inevitably dull bits of the games.

I think that's the best part of their casting duo. When the game is a foregone conclusion, instead of building a narrative with a 0.00001% chance of happening, they just talk about Korean BBQ or superheroes or something. It owns. Also Monte is probably the most knowledgeable caster, so there's that.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

The Mash posted:

Fiora is brilliant for this. Fiora v Darius, Riven and GP are all essentially skill matchups as far as I know. There's some random luck involved too when Fiora is against instant stuns, but Fiora v Riven is so much fun to play, and I've won and lost on both sides of it.

The cool thing about Fiora is that her dueling never really falls far behind; I seem to always win lane against Fiora players but can never dominate them entirely. I've had games where I was winning all game and then told my team to set up a Baron play while I split-pushed, only to die to the 2/6/3 Fiora and watch her TP in on Baron and help ace my team. "But what if you're just bad?" Uh, please focus on pro play, ITT. :angel:

Fiora's kit went from binary and boring, to almost a perfect thematic fit, and very fun to watch the pros play because a Fiora behind the other laner isn't out of the game and being a successful Fiora is more than just clicking on a group of low targets with your ult. Her true damage is always a threat in duels and she has a unique ult that can turn the tides in teamfights. Kudos to the rework team.

Space Flower fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Oct 26, 2015

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
yeah the fiora matchups have been really fun to watch. i like the mindgames over the stun in fiora vs renekton as well. riot did a sick job with that rework

e. also i heard that dandy and mata have left vici now? all the koreans back to kr hype? they can take huni too please.

Lovechop fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Oct 26, 2015

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012

Space Flower posted:

Yeah - there was s definite improvement period after MSI - especially with Bengi - where they just reached another level. But they still won OGN Spring. And the fact still remains that they only dropped a few games post MSI and only one series, and since the regular season they haven't lost.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Space Flower posted:

I'll admit that the first few times I saw DoA and Monte just drop the subject of the game completely, taking their tangent and forming it into a completely new circle, I was like "what the gently caress kind of casting is this? What about the game?" But it quickly grew on me and I felt foolish for having ever expected them to hold my hand through the inevitably dull bits of the games.

I think this is something of a holdover from less formalized casting from DoA's SC2 days. If you've ever watched Tastosis (two dudes who cast the SC2 equivalent to LCK) they've hit a point where there's sometimes more jokes/video game nostalgia than casting, especially during the portions of games that are predictable/a bit formulaic. It feels like there's more diversity in casting styles outside of the LCS system.

PlaceholderPigeon posted:

Yeah - there was s definite improvement period after MSI - especially with Bengi - where they just reached another level. But they still won OGN Spring. And the fact still remains that they only dropped a few games post MSI and only one series, and since the regular season they haven't lost.

For me, the really impressive thing is that they managed to come out of their slump from season 4 with a lot of the same players and become so dominant again. Obviously it's a weird excercise with teams versus players, but I feel like that resilience and persistent skill is the kind off thing that makes a player/team bonjwa material.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012

foutre posted:

I think this is something of a holdover from less formalized casting from DoA's SC2 days. If you've ever watched Tastosis (two dudes who cast the SC2 equivalent to LCK) they've hit a point where there's sometimes more jokes/video game nostalgia than casting, especially during the portions of games that are predictable/a bit formulaic. It feels like there's more diversity in casting styles outside of the LCS system.

For me, the really impressive thing is that they managed to come out of their slump from season 4 with a lot of the same players and become so dominant again. Obviously it's a weird excercise with teams versus players, but I feel like that resilience and persistent skill is the kind off thing that makes a player/team bonjwa material.

Yeah, there's only so many ways you can talk about the opening of a SC2 game. The same works for things like baron dances and lane swaps (mostly)

And yeah; the way they just pushed themselves to a point of such strength is impressive, especially because it was less about Faker and more about the overall team than before. Marin becoming so good is a big factor in this too, but Bengi finding his second wind after being a bit of a mess is hard to overstate.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Lovechop posted:

yeah the fiora matchups have been really fun to watch. i like the mindgames over the stun in fiora vs renekton as well. riot did a sick job with that rework

e. also i heard that dandy and mata have left vici now? all the koreans back to kr hype? they can take huni too please.

I can't wait for China to kick out all the old expensive imports and import a bunch of the new ones. Acorn is obviously past it, but that Smeb fellow is going to take us far.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
Also SKT has weaknesses [they are merely good at team fighting, rather than superlative] and KOO matches up well against that in the sense that KOO is an absolutely excellent team fighting team.

That said, KOO have a poor early game and SKT skirmish better than anyone in the early game and people like Faker will dominate in lane. If KOO can go into midgame even, they have an excellent chance. If they get dumpstered early/ early-mid game like they did game 1 vs FNC or in the KT games it's going to be a very short series.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

that loving gif gets higher quality every time it's posted. it gains power by seeing EU fail

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

I still don't understand why Samsung's teams disintegrated after last year. (OK, I do, but I don't like it.) Seeing last year's SSW vs this year's SKT would have been something.

Really the issue isn't that SKT plays well, it's that SKT has no competition. A sport with no competition isn't interesting to watch.

LCS needs to go to a Bo2 format at the very least. It's not just that the players have little to no experience with Best-Of games, and are thus prone to tilt out of their later games. It's that the LCS players play roughly half the amount of games that the others do, PERIOD. Going to the 10-team format cut a ton of games for every team and the lack of experience hurts!

I don't really desperately want to watch T8 vs. sub-roster TDK fall all over each other in a series either but I'll take more games over less games. More experience with adapting Pick-Bans would help a lot too- Fnatic had some real issues in PB in their games, and the western teams in general seem to have those issues more often than the eastern teams.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
my favorite korean esports moment was when azubu bankrolled a hundred teams in several different games and then turned out to be a literal ponzi scheme run by a felony criminal

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

foutre posted:

i'm pretty sure that riot producers literally keep the casters "on point" and won't let them stray too far from the game. if they start wandering they get signaled from the booth or whatever to segue back to the game asap. that's the impression that i get, at least, and i remember jatt saying at least once "well i'm being told i'm still on point so..." and then he continued with what he was saying.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DolphinCop posted:

that loving gif gets higher quality every time it's posted. it gains power by seeing EU fail

i can actually hear it in his weird mumble

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

mistaya posted:

Really the issue isn't that SKT plays well, it's that SKT has no competition. A sport with no competition isn't interesting to watch.

LCS needs to go to a Bo2 format at the very least.

the best of format is not helping korea produce better competition against skt though. would it suddenly catapult eu/na into prominence?

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

time to register your guesses for new skins:

marin: rumble
bengi: elise
faker: viktor
bang: kalista
wolf: alistar

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
What are you talking about, the reason why Skt is head and shoulders above the rest of LCK is because China bought all of the regions top players. Korea was extremely competative in season 3 and 4.

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010
The only reason two Korean teams made it to the finals is because all the Korean sleeper agents sabotaged the other teams.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

nomadologique posted:

time to register your guesses for new skins:

marin: rumble
bengi: elise
faker: viktor
bang: kalista
wolf: alistar

If Riot doesn't give Easyhoon a skin it'll be a tragedy

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
i wonder which team rekkles will join now that he didn't win again

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Marin: Rumble or Renekton (I'm pretty sure those are his two all-time most played in both solo queue and competitive)

Bengi: Evelynn or Elise (I'd rather see it go to Evelynn)

Faker: Ryze for this tournament, Ezreal or Leblanc for heritage dominance

Easyhoon: Azir (probably no contest)

Bang: Corki (except he hasn't played it at all at Worlds so I don't know)

Wolf: Alistar (no contest here)

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Like LCK lost Mata, Dandy, Looper, Imp, Pawn, dade, Flame, Acorn, Kakao, Rookie, Deft, Spirit, Heart, and like a dozen other starters/subs to China and to a lesser extent EU and NA. And they still have the top two teams at Worlds.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

Libertine posted:

Marin: Rumble or Renekton (I'm pretty sure those are his two all-time most played in both solo queue and competitive)

Bengi: Evelynn or Elise (I'd rather see it go to Evelynn)

Faker: Ryze for this tournament, Ezreal or Leblanc for heritage dominance

Easyhoon: Azir (probably no contest)

Bang: Corki (except he hasn't played it at all at Worlds so I don't know)

Wolf: Alistar (no contest here)

Maybe it's just favoritism, but if Bang grabs anything but Lucian I'll be seriously shocked. His finest hour came on that champion after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Transient People posted:

Maybe it's just favoritism, but if Bang grabs anything but Lucian I'll be seriously shocked. His finest hour came on that champion after all.

Good call, I forgot about that. He had 100% win rate on both Lucian and Kalista so it will probably be one of those. And yeah his Lucian game was without a doubt the #1 best ADC game of the year and maybe ever played. Corki already has too many skins anyways. Corki was his most played champion of 2015 though. I am actually legitimately surprised no one played Corki at this worlds.

Here's a Bang Lucian highlight:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsjXJgPD8Ck

Libertine fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Oct 26, 2015

• Locked thread