Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
What's the gooncensus on Uncharted World?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Until the aliens and weird poo poo book comes out it feels kind of incomplete but on the upside I figured out how to make the Mako from mass effect with the vehicle rules.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Does anyone know where I could find a copy of pirate world? I'm happy to pay for it, and the kickstarter claims the PDF is done.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

QuantumNinja posted:

Does anyone know where I could find a copy of pirate world? I'm happy to pay for it, and the kickstarter claims the PDF is done.

It's coming out "soon", in terms of geological time

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Must admit got the "Definetly not world of darkness" apocalypse world hack and... well it didn't feel nearly as cool as either Legacy or AW, I am not sure why, could anyone write their own experiences with it or am I just judging a book by its cover a bit?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Josef bugman posted:

Must admit got the "Definetly not world of darkness" apocalypse world hack and... well it didn't feel nearly as cool as either Legacy or AW, I am not sure why, could anyone write their own experiences with it or am I just judging a book by its cover a bit?

Do you mean Urban Shadows?

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
Seems Uncharted Worlds has hit release; has anyone had some experience with it as of yet who can weigh in on how it is? I recall the preview material had been noted as being a bit fiddly for PBtA, but the premise still looks pretty fun.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Josef bugman posted:

Urban Shadows? I must admit I haven't had time to give it a proper read-through but the corruption mechanic and the range of playbooks was pretty neat. I have so many AW games sitting around in my Dropbox, I really need to get around to running some ~_~

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Thats the one! Anyone had any good experiences with it?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yeah, I've been running a campaign in it for the last 13 weeks. Our problems with it came from a misunderstanding of how to play it. The rumors you start up should be something that can be mostly resolved in one session. Like, the brunt of it. Maybe the mafia boss isn't gone, but the immediate threat is. It helps avoiding the game from compounding on itself and stories taking too long to resolve. Also, keep things at street level. Don't, and I repeat: don't, let the supernatural elements lead to you taking it out of genre or else things will fall apart until you wash that away. Combat is a last resort and lethal, remember that. Also, keep track of debts. If you forget to do that, that mechanic loses weight and the game feels like it's missing an important piece of itself. Also, attack the people where they are vulnerable like their friends: attack their spirit as much as you attack their body; it works better.

Finally, it's worth noting the classes are abstracted a tad. Like, the Wizard is a detective, the werewolf is a street gang member, the hunter is a vigilante, etc. If the players don't get that when they pick their archetype, they might not like their experience with the class.

Overall, the game has gone well and system seems pretty cool. The Wizard's intimacy move is weird, but everything else seems fine.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

GaistHeidegger posted:

Seems Uncharted Worlds has hit release; has anyone had some experience with it as of yet who can weigh in on how it is? I recall the preview material had been noted as being a bit fiddly for PBtA, but the premise still looks pretty fun.

If it's still anything like the beta I've followed a couple months ago it's way too much of a fiddly mess, and really only uses the PbtA dice mechanics system more than anything else. If I remember it it had straight up tech tree and feat tree style character creation and advancement.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"

Fenarisk posted:

If it's still anything like the beta I've followed a couple months ago it's way too much of a fiddly mess, and really only uses the PbtA dice mechanics system more than anything else. If I remember it it had straight up tech tree and feat tree style character creation and advancement.

Oof. That sounds like the opposite of how it ought to be handled for PBtA space opera shenanigans. drat. I don't suspect that will have changed between beta and release, that's material that would have a lot of investment in it. Thanks!

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Check our Impulse Drive posted a few pages back, it looks awesome and I'll hopefully be running it in a few weeks after a microscope session to create the setting.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
It didn't really seem like feat chains/tech tree stuff in my read-through. It's more..."Build your own playbook" level stuff, like a finer grained version of the split playbooks in Spirit of '77. Chargen consists of picking an origin and two careers, which gets you four starting moves (One origin, 3 picked from between your two careers.) Once you've picked those, you name the combo; Bob might be playing a regimented military spacefarer and call it 'Space Marine", Susan is playing a Brutal Clandestine Scoundrel and call it "Assassin",. etc.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
How does publishing pbta stuff work? Gotta slap a logo on it like pathfinder compatible stuff?

Covok
May 27, 2013

unseenlibrarian posted:

It didn't really seem like feat chains/tech tree stuff in my read-through. It's more..."Build your own playbook" level stuff, like a finer grained version of the split playbooks in Spirit of '77. Chargen consists of picking an origin and two careers, which gets you four starting moves (One origin, 3 picked from between your two careers.) Once you've picked those, you name the combo; Bob might be playing a regimented military spacefarer and call it 'Space Marine", Susan is playing a Brutal Clandestine Scoundrel and call it "Assassin",. etc.

So, more like Class Warfare for Dungeon World? That supplement, if you ever seen it?

Banana Man posted:

How does publishing pbta stuff work? Gotta slap a logo on it like pathfinder compatible stuff?

I think you just have to give credit to Vincent Baker. I do think there is a logo, but I don't think you need to use it. IIRC, Baker seems really chill about publishing. Correct me if I am wrong.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Covok posted:

So, more like Class Warfare for Dungeon World? That supplement, if you ever seen it?

That sounds right- I've not seen it, but I've heard it described, and it sounds fairly close.

UW does some weird stuff with advancement; basically, purchasing a new move costs marked XP=The number of moves you already have; you can also change how you mark XP or even unlock a new career to advance. (When you start out, you pick one advancement method from your careers; whenever the advancement method you picked comes up, everyone in the group marks XP. It's recommended that with a small group, everyone should pick two advancement triggers to start to keep the XP coming in at about the same rate.)

Also there are maybe too many basic moves, but some of them only apply when dealing with your starship or with faction stuff.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

Banana Man posted:

Basically, Vincent says he'd like to be told if you're releasing an AW hack, and asks that if you directly quote AW you highlight and cite it properly (see Monsterheart's Notes From The Apocalypse sidebars). The PBTA logo is advertising more than anything else, and is definitely not a legal requirement.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
Okay thank you for the help

Covok
May 27, 2013

unseenlibrarian posted:

That sounds right- I've not seen it, but I've heard it described, and it sounds fairly close.

UW does some weird stuff with advancement; basically, purchasing a new move costs marked XP=The number of moves you already have; you can also change how you mark XP or even unlock a new career to advance. (When you start out, you pick one advancement method from your careers; whenever the advancement method you picked comes up, everyone in the group marks XP. It's recommended that with a small group, everyone should pick two advancement triggers to start to keep the XP coming in at about the same rate.)

Also there are maybe too many basic moves, but some of them only apply when dealing with your starship or with faction stuff.

While I don't know how many moves there are, it's fairly common to have a few extra moves devoted to an important subsystem of the genre so that isn't a problem.

The advancement system sounds ok, though I do wonder how it works with the fiction. Like, I can kind of see why they did it the way they did it, but it all feels a little DW to me which isn't a great thing.

On the front of basic moves being a bit much, I worry that the new combat move might have become bloated.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I think it'd help more PbtA games if designers would split moves out between "Basic Moves" (the stuff you're going to use all the time) and "Special Moves" (the stuff that comes up only in specific circumstances or only every few sessions). Yeah, it's the same number of moves, but it helps the perception of your moveset.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Evil Mastermind posted:

I think it'd help more PbtA games if designers would split moves out between "Basic Moves" (the stuff you're going to use all the time) and "Special Moves" (the stuff that comes up only in specific circumstances or only every few sessions). Yeah, it's the same number of moves, but it helps the perception of your moveset.

It also helps new people when you can say "just pay attention to these, anything else we'll go over when it comes up."

My own sci fi thing has basic, special, and ship moves. All seperated out so as not to overwhelm, and so you only need to look over them when you're doing something with them.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

It also helps the designer really pare down the list; which of these are actually important?

I've talked about this thing before; it has 23 basic moves. But so many of them could be combined, or are really situational.

Do you really need separate moves for "first attack unprovoked" and "attack someone"? Or "secure a place to rest" and "rest for a while"? Hell, one of the moves is basically just assigning a tag to someone without a roll. That's like listing "if your weapon has +foreful, it knocks things over" as part of the basic moves.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah, separating moves into Basic (stuff available at all times) and Special (stuff that requires specific contexts in order to be used) is how I do things in my own little thing I'm working on.

Speaking of, do you guys think a mechanic like 13th Age's Escalation Die would work in a PbtA system? I was thinking of adding it in, since a central theme of my hack is things going sideways or situations getting worse on drastic levels, and I think something like that would work well to represent that. Is this a good thread to ask about mechanics for hacks we're working on or would I be better off taking this question to the game design thread or whatever?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Babe Magnet posted:

Yeah, separating moves into Basic (stuff available at all times) and Special (stuff that requires specific contexts in order to be used) is how I do things in my own little thing I'm working on.

Speaking of, do you guys think a mechanic like 13th Age's Escalation Die would work in a PbtA system? I was thinking of adding it in, since a central theme of my hack is things going sideways or situations getting worse on drastic levels, and I think something like that would work well to represent that. Is this a good thread to ask about mechanics for hacks we're working on or would I be better off taking this question to the game design thread or whatever?

That's actually been done. City of Jerusalem has a system for that. Off the top of my head, there is a d6 on the table that goes up in value when something happens (I forget the trigger) and you can take it to replace one of your dice when you resolve a move at some sort of cost (I forgot the cost). You'd have to check the game itself for more details.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Sick, I'll check it out. The way I imagined it is the players would have some amount of control on the level it's at (stuff like causing a lot of destruction, announcing your presence, firing a gun (which are supposed to be rare) and stuff like that would cause the die to go up, and stuff like eliminating witnesses, striking a deal, or waiting the trouble out would cause your heat level to go down) and there would be both benefits and drawbacks to raising the Heat level. It's that sort of thing I'm trying to play out in my heat to make it balanced mechanically. Fictionally, there would a be a bunch of stuff the GM can do at each level from calling in another squad of whatever the PCs are fighting, blowing out the supports in a build everyone's in, summoning the cops to get in everyone's way, or permanently sealing off an exit, with plenty of room to improvise depending on context.

As far as hard mechanics go, I was just thinking about making everything more lethal as the die went up. Enemies would do more damage to you, but you'd also be dropping dudes left and right as your little robbery turned into a massacre or whatever.

Also everyone gets XP based on the highest number on the damage die during that session.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

Covok posted:

That's actually been done. City of Jerusalem has a system for that. Off the top of my head, there is a d6 on the table that goes up in value when something happens (I forget the trigger) and you can take it to replace one of your dice when you resolve a move at some sort of cost (I forgot the cost). You'd have to check the game itself for more details.

Huh, that sounds like a really cool mechanic. Going to have to check it out!

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

I know it's radically changing the die mechanic/resolution mechanic but I feel PbtA games would work real well with edge of the empire dice. They're just so narrative.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Fenarisk posted:

I know it's radically changing the die mechanic/resolution mechanic but I feel PbtA games would work real well with edge of the empire dice. They're just so narrative.

I mean, that could be workable. Pbta is more about move structure, gm moves and the such: 2d6 + Stat and 6-,7-9, and 10+ is just a permutation. You could totally do it within a move structure and have it work.

I don't remember those dice off hand, but this could be a template:

Covok posted:

When you do [trigger], roll [Attribute] + [Skill] + [Difficulty]. If you have net successes, [effect]. If you have advantage, [effect]. If you have a disadvantage, the MC may make a minor MC move. On a failure, the MC may make a major or minor MC move, MC's choice.
Like I said, I forgot the notations on those dice, but this would be how you would port this into the PbtA engine. This example includes a two tier category to MC moves to reflect failure and disadvantage, respectively. It would also assume that there was a basic move like:

Covok posted:

When little things are in your favor, add a Boost die to your roll. When little things are not in your favor. add a Setback die to your roll.
With moves and MC moves applying these types of die in addition to the above move.

In addition, you'd need a system to upgrade difficulty dice to challenge dice. Perhaps a MC move or some point system.

The biggest hurdle is how few people have EotE dice and how much of a gate that would make to acquisition.

Covok fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Oct 27, 2015

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

As far as I understand you could use the +1, +2, etc stat modifiers as how many skill side you roll, with moves adding triumph dice and good or bad aspects/ongoing stuff adding boost or difficulty die.

Edit: Actually, I'd love to figure out an additional dice mechanic that adds threats and advantages on top of the standard 2d6+stat that PBtA games use, hearing it used in the one-shot spinoff Campaign that runs Edge of the Empire makes for some awesome narrative additions where even if you succeed there's a threat sometimes, and even when you fail there's some advantages. I know some games are using advantage and disadvantage in place on ongoing +/- (roll 3d6, take highest 2 for advantage and lowest 2 for disadvantage), but maybe different colored dice as the 3rd d6 could accomplish this instead.

Actually, maybe 2d6 stays, but 1's count as a threat, and 6's count as an advantage. That or even and odd on the results (where even a 12 rolled presents two threats).

Fenarisk fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Oct 28, 2015

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

So, just got my copy of Urban Shadows in the mail about, uh...3 days before it was supposed to arrive. I am actually a little bit disappointed it didn't hit on Halloween proper, but it's good to have.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Fenarisk posted:

Edit: Actually, I'd love to figure out an additional dice mechanic that adds threats and advantages on top of the standard 2d6+stat that PBtA games use, hearing it used in the one-shot spinoff Campaign that runs Edge of the Empire makes for some awesome narrative additions where even if you succeed there's a threat sometimes, and even when you fail there's some advantages. I know some games are using advantage and disadvantage in place on ongoing +/- (roll 3d6, take highest 2 for advantage and lowest 2 for disadvantage), but maybe different colored dice as the 3rd d6 could accomplish this instead.

Advantage and disadvantage, and if you want, pick one additional mechanic, do not mix because it'll get really confusing:

- if you wind up with doubles after dropping lowest/highest, something special happens
- if any two dice match, something special happens
- always roll a third die of a different color, ignoring it on neutral rolls. If it matches one of the other dice, something special happens

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

Fenarisk posted:

Check our Impulse Drive posted a few pages back, it looks awesome and I'll hopefully be running it in a few weeks after a microscope session to create the setting.

Awesome! I'd be very interested to hear how it goes!

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Fenarisk posted:

Are you running the microscope session on SA? I'm always interested in Microscope.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

inklesspen posted:

Are you running the microscope session on SA? I'm always interested in Microscope.

Honestly I'm torn between running a roll20 session with friends or trying to find people here who are interested.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.
I spent the last few days trying to learn enough HTML and CSS to cobble together a character sheet for Impulse Drive. You can check the link for the results in a test game.

I found the process pretty challenging, but rewarding in the end to have this nifty tool that will hopefully make the game more attractive for others to try out.

You can find the full rules and handouts for Impulse Drive here.

If folks want to use the code to set up a custom sheet you can get it here.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012
I've recently started work on *World hack for a game about 17th Century monster hunters. It is heavily based on the Urban Shadows, and Apocalypse World itself.

I haven't really done much hacking of *World games before, so I'm kinda looking for someone who would be interested in lending a hand. I've got some basic moves, that need refinement, and I'm slowly working on outlining the various other rules to a state where they are playable.

The first draft of the basic moves is here.

I'm thinking the best way to approach playbooks is to use a variation on Simple World character creation until the majority of the rules are worked out, and to give a chance to see what kind of characters people like to play.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

thefakenews posted:

I've recently started work on *World hack for a game about 17th Century monster hunters. It is heavily based on the Urban Shadows, and Apocalypse World itself.

I haven't really done much hacking of *World games before, so I'm kinda looking for someone who would be interested in lending a hand. I've got some basic moves, that need refinement, and I'm slowly working on outlining the various other rules to a state where they are playable.

The first draft of the basic moves is here.

I'm thinking the best way to approach playbooks is to use a variation on Simple World character creation until the majority of the rules are worked out, and to give a chance to see what kind of characters people like to play.

This looks interesting. A few questions that might help you get moving in the right direction?

What will players be spending their time doing during a session? What sort of things do the characters in similar fiction do? Write player moves that do that.

Investigating grisly deaths? Investigating heresy and dark cults? tracking and destroying horrific monsters?

What's the atmosphere that the fiction exudes? Write MC principles that inspire that.

Foggy and dark, with much of the world obscured and hazy? Gloomy and hopeless, a metaphor for the lot of a peasant? Superstitious and paranoid? Neighbors accusing each other of witchcraft?

What are the challenges and dangers the characters face, both literally and metaphorically? Write MC moves about those. Consider mechanical systems that encourage those behaviors and study those dilemmas.

Is man the real monster? Can you go into the darkness without bringing the darkness back out with you? What sacrifices must you make to keep the downtrodden safe? What will you do to survive in the face of unrelenting malice?

Is PC death on the table? how easily do PCs die? If they die very easily, how fast is character creation? Are the PCs more like desperate mooks? Is personal interaction between the PCs important? If yes, how do you facilitate or reward it?

There are a lot of knobs and dials you can move within the system that will create different experiences and encourage different player behaviors.
\
What are the archetypal characters you find in this fiction? Create your playbooks around these ideas. Start with 1 playbook for each primary stat, and only create 1 or 2 core moves to start.

Once you have these basics, start playing. Even if it's short one-off sessions, see if the moves work, and if your systems create interesting and engaging feedback between each other.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

madadric posted:

Investigating grisly deaths? Investigating heresy and dark cults? tracking and destroying horrific monsters?

Foggy and dark, with much of the world obscured and hazy? Gloomy and hopeless, a metaphor for the lot of a peasant? Superstitious and paranoid? Neighbors accusing each other of witchcraft?

Is man the real monster? Can you go into the darkness without bringing the darkness back out with you? What sacrifices must you make to keep the downtrodden safe? What will you do to survive in the face of unrelenting malice?

Pretty much all of this to some extent, although investigation and monster slaying are at the forefront. I'm not looking to go too deeply philosophical with this game bu,t given the setting puts the player either in the middle of, or emerging from, the War of Religion, I definitely want to make the conflict between characters' beliefs a part of the game (although more as a source of tension between PCs, and between PCs and human NPCs - the characters should be generally united in the goal of confronting the Darkness). I'm going for something mostly an action RPG, rather than anything particularly metaphorical. Likewise, at this point, I'm thinking more in terms of professions for playbooks, rather than any clever metaphors.

I am still grappling with how to define Innocents and Abominations, and whether it will be static or dependent on the character. That's going to end up being fairly important.

The partial draft rules are here, if you want to peek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

thefakenews posted:

I am still grappling with how to define Innocents and Abominations, and whether it will be static or dependent on the character. That's going to end up being fairly important.

The partial draft rules are here, if you want to peek.

I feel like you have woe handled, but what about weal? Why are the PCs powerful, why does their duty matter? I'm sure it'll come across in the playbooks, but if I'm playing inspector, I want my decisions to be Final and Irreversible. What period literature and modernist literature are you reading about from the time?