Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Rirse posted:

Great, now Lance is going to waste several episodes tracking Oliver down again and he gets forced to pick ANOTHER new name.

The Mint Arrow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
They call him ...After Eight

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

drat, so much Ray hate. I liked him. Great eye-candy and he was a geeky bumbling oaf without the big picture, so male-Felicity. It was fine.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I remember Ray being pretty well-liked last season, don't know where all this is coming from now.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Tiggum posted:

I couldn't help noticing that not-Gambit's cards were dead on target whenever the person he was throwing them at was supposed to die (or able to parry) but wildly inaccurate any other time though.

So, basically the same as every other projectile weapon depicted in the entire history of storytelling?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Pan Dulce posted:

drat, so much Ray hate. I liked him. Great eye-candy and he was a geeky bumbling oaf without the big picture, so male-Felicity. It was fine.

Except Felicity never went on a dumb rampage against him.

The writers set him up as a friendly rival by having him take over the company (and "steal" Felicity) from Ollie which was fine, but went overboard when he decided The Arrow was the enemy, lured him into a trap and zapped Roy with a million volts of electricity.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Spergatory posted:

So, basically the same as every other projectile weapon depicted in the entire history of storytelling?

The difference (for me) was how obvious it was. It's not that hard to have the shooter be moving to throw off their aim or have the target be moving or behind cover.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

enraged_camel posted:

The writers set him up as a friendly rival by having him take over the company (and "steal" Felicity) from Ollie which was fine, but went overboard when he decided The Arrow was the enemy, lured him into a trap and zapped Roy with a million volts of electricity.

Then he found out he was mistaken and joined the team. In Superhero team up it always starts with a fight due to a mistake.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

Not to mention he lost.

And and... the difference between Ray and Tony is that Ray needs lots of money and fancy tools to make his creations. Whereas Tony is capable of creating a kickass suit in a motherfucking Afghan cave using nothing but metal plates and a blowtorch.

I felt like Ray was the Ned Flanders version of Tony Stark. Tony Stark is an rear end in a top hat. Ray was just so nice and likable and it pissed off Ollie so much.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Lu Yan posted:

This is why I hate Ray. AN EXPLOSION WILL STILL KILL YOU IF YOU'RE TINY YOU STUPID FUCKER.

But it was a magical sciencey blue explosion!

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It was an implosion. Of science energy filling the space he was no longer occupying.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

enraged_camel posted:

Hmm, Roy? Never heard of him. *looks over to heap of red leather smoldering in the corner* Nope.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Pan Dulce posted:

Ray wasn't bad, but it was extremely obvious that he was supposed to be Ted Kord. I know they had to write around the decree from higher-up, but it made the character we got feel off, like a Dollar Store Iron Man.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

WarLocke posted:

Ray wasn't bad, but it was extremely obvious that he was supposed to be Ted Kord. I know they had to write around the decree from higher-up, but it made the character we got feel off, like a Dollar Store Iron Man.

Kinda like how Green Arrow is a Dollar Store Bat Man?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Iron Man doesn't really fit Ted Kord either.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

Iron Man doesn't really fit Ted Kord either.

Right, Ted Kord Blue Beetle is nothing like Iron Man, but the Ray Palmer we got feels like a lame attempt at Iron Man.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't know, despite everything the idea of Ted Kord putting on an Iron Man suit, hooking up with Felicity, and being the quasi rival to Oliver feels way weirder in retrospect than Ray Palmer. Plus it wouldn't have had the Atom payoff.

In the end I think DC did Arrow a favor on that one.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Oct 26, 2015

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

I never liked Ray. I'm glad they are shipping him off the show. OG Team Arrow for life. :colbert:

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
drat, so much Ray hate for one of the better parts of last season.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Bad Moon posted:

Needs a gif of Ray saying 'my planet needs me' and flying to Krypton

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Bad Moon posted:

I must admit that without Ray we would have not gotten the funniest part of last season : zapping Arsenal and then forgetting about him.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

For the record I'm cool with Ray. The whole Ray/Kord/Iron Man thing was weird at first but like I said, I think Ray fit the role way better than Kord would have and it has an interesting Atom payoff. Even if the idea was questionable the execution was fun.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.

Bad Moon posted:

Yea I don't understand this at all. I seem to remember hundreds of

Goon1: "Thank God we have Raylicity or this show would be nigh unwatchable!"
Goon2: "Here here Goon1, the Cisco/Ray interactions are amazing as well"
Goon3: "God I love Ray so much! Thank God Felicity broke away from Oliver, he was sucking the life out of her! gently caress the shippers!"

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

McSpankWich posted:

Yea I don't understand this at all. I seem to remember hundreds of

Goon1: "Thank God we have Raylicity or this show would be nigh unwatchable!"
Goon2: "Here here Goon1, the Cisco/Ray interactions are amazing as well"
Goon3: "God I love Ray so much! Thank God Felicity broke away from Oliver, he was sucking the life out of her! gently caress the shippers!"

You see this a lot over in Games too, it's just the Goon Circle of Life

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Ray/Cisco Brodown was the best part of last season. If he wasn't going to LoT I'd be just fine with him moving to Central City.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's probably not the same people.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Rhyno posted:

The Ray/Cisco Brodown was the best part of last season. If he wasn't going to LoT I'd be just fine with him moving to Central City.

To be fair, Cisco/Everybody is pretty high on the list of both shows. He interacts well with people.

Mystery Opponent
Sep 27, 2006

but u was a real nigga
i could sense it in u
I loved Ray, although the pink eye he had for like half the season was hosed up

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bruceski posted:

To be fair, Cisco/Everybody is pretty high on the list of both shows. He interacts well with people.

And hilariously, he was 100% hated when he showed up on Arrow the first time.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

And hilariously, he was 100% hated when he showed up on Arrow the first time.

Well the episode with Cisco and Caitlyn first showing up may be the worst episode of Arrow period. They were written really bad in it too.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

X-O posted:

Well the episode with Cisco and Caitlyn first showing up may be the worst episode of Arrow period. They were written really bad in it too.

I don't know if they were written badly as much as they were just plucked out of a show that didn't exist yet and thrown very awkwardly and without explanation into a different show. The first time I watched it I remember not knowing why the gently caress these random people were getting so much TV time and why Deathstroke didn't kill them. A couple of weeks ago I rewatched the episode with someone watching for the first time and they actually seemed pretty true to their Flash characters now that I knew them and knew why there were there.

Of course the person watching the first time asked me who the gently caress they were and why they were getting so much TV time and I explained that they were Flash characters and the whole drat season had been filled with a bunch of teases of the Flash that I didn't notice the first time but picked up watching it this second time.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

STAC Goat posted:

I don't know if they were written badly

This is Arrow/Flash we're talking about. Bad writing is the cause of pretty much every problem anyone has with either show.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

I don't know if they were written badly as much as they were just plucked out of a show that didn't exist yet and thrown very awkwardly and without explanation into a different show. The first time I watched it I remember not knowing why the gently caress these random people were getting so much TV time and why Deathstroke didn't kill them. A couple of weeks ago I rewatched the episode with someone watching for the first time and they actually seemed pretty true to their Flash characters now that I knew them and knew why there were there.

Of course the person watching the first time asked me who the gently caress they were and why they were getting so much TV time and I explained that they were Flash characters and the whole drat season had been filled with a bunch of teases of the Flash that I didn't notice the first time but picked up watching it this second time.

Hey, did you hear about the STAR Labs particle accelerator over in Central City?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

enraged_camel posted:

Not to mention he lost.

And and... the difference between Ray and Tony is that Ray needs lots of money and fancy tools to make his creations. Whereas Tony is capable of creating a kickass suit in a motherfucking Afghan cave using nothing but metal plates and a blowtorch.

And then Tony became a drunk in charge of the biggest spy agency in the world....so?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Mooseontheloose posted:

And then Tony became a drunk in charge of the biggest spy agency in the world....so?

...I don't get it?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Tony Stark's an engineer. He works with tools and concepts guys like Ray Palmer made possible.

Do you guys even watch the Big Bang Theory? God!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Gaz-L posted:

Hey, did you hear about the STAR Labs particle accelerator over in Central City?

The weird thing is I really don't think I noticed it once in my first watch (when I didn't even know the Flash was gonna be a thing until Barry Allen showed up) and then when I caught it the first time on my rewatch suddenly every other scene had a drat news channel on.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

enraged_camel posted:

...I don't get it?

I was trying to say Tony kinda sucks but didn't articulate it at all.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Tony Stark's an engineer. He works with tools and concepts guys like Ray Palmer made possible.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

enraged_camel posted:

Not to mention he lost.

Scraps that were the pieces needed to build weapons of mass destruction.

• Locked thread